Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pete E
At the end of the day, Celebs are just ordinary folks like the rest of us. I hope the surgery is a success and she recovers fully.

As a celeb, I would imagine she will be able to afford the best reconstructive surgery available, which might be more important for her as a woman as much as for her career..

Christina Applegate had the same thing several years ago, I am sure to was very hard at first but she seems to be doing okay now. I wish her well.

Last edited by Hotload; 05/14/13.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
Fear-2; Angelina-0

I completely understand her rationale, but I think that very close attention and regular exams to catch any developments early would have been the wiser option.
Although I understand the proactive comments, I have to agree with you Rocky. Seems like getting your tits cut off just because some doctors says you have a 87% chance of Breast Cancer seems pretty extreme. Then again, she's always done stuff pretty extreme anyway.

An 87% chance of getting cancer is pretty darned extreme. I can't fault her measures, especially with all the kids she has to look out for.
Dang, it bleeped tits out.

Anyways, I don't fault her measures or decision exactly, I just question basing it on one doctor's assertion that she had an 87% chance. I'd reckon that ain't all there is to it, but that's kinda the way the article read when I looked at it last night. FWIW whoever asked about it being a hoax, that's what I thought at first too. Evidently it's not.

I wish her all the best. I wouldn't even wish cancer on a POS like Obama.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Write teats, not tits.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Fleet average rack, just as long as she doesn't mess with those lips...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by temmi
Originally Posted by Ken Howell
Just reported on Fox.

Also http://wonderwall.msn.com/movies/an...my-in-ny-times-op-ed-piece-24886.gallery

Special applause for a still-beautiful, classy lady!

Had 87% chance of developing breast cancer (which had killed her mother). Surgery reduced the odds to 5%, doctors say. Let's hope that it's really 0%.

(And hope that she doesn't get dumped because of it, as Laura Ingraham was.)

Very brave
Snake

I agree, and to blast the news to the world.

I wonder if any man would have their nuts cut off if they suspected they may get testicular cancer?

Dave

IC B2

J
jcc Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Smart choice. Seems like a grown up decision for a mother of 5.
Can't imagine I would act very normal if I had their money
and people treated me like royalty.
Hope I could, but we will never know! smile

jcc

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
My mother in law was 78 when she found out she has cancer.

She told the docs to take it off,when told about the chemo and other treatments,she did the one that did it in a week.

They have found out it has spread everywhere.

She was 80 when she was told.

That woman is some kind of strong,she told them she would not do anything more because she did not want to live to be 100 and not be able to do anything.

I love that gal.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Fear-2; Angelina-0

I completely understand her rationale, but I think that very close attention and regular exams to catch any developments early would have been the wiser option.
Although I understand the proactive comments, I have to agree with you Rocky. Seems like getting your tits cut off just because some doctors says you have a 87% chance of Breast Cancer seems pretty extreme. Then again, she's always done stuff pretty extreme anyway.

An 87% chance of getting cancer is pretty darned extreme. I can't fault her measures, especially with all the kids she has to look out for.

Here mother died when she was only 10 years older then Angolina is now. I'm sure that death is very real to her and significantly seperates this situation from one of "just a doctors opinion". Of couse with her resources there no reason to expect she was relying on the opinion of just one person.

I hope the rebuild goes well for her and we get to see the new twins soon.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Fear-2; Angelina-0

Really? You own guns based on the 0.05% chance of an intruder and think avoiding an 87% probability of death by cancer is extreme?

You've obviously never seen someone die from breast cancer.

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
Campfire Kahuna Emeritus &
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Angelina Jolie made a very rational and mature medical decision. It was also a brave decision.

Shooter? Oh heck yes. I've met industry folks who knew Jolie and loved her gunny attitude and that includes her wedding present: Brad gave her a shooting range!!!!!

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/ne...a-jolie-400k-shooting-range-wedding-gift

By the way, she does all of her own movie stunts. Personally, I never miss an Angelina Jolie action movie.

I've met her father, John Voight, and shared a couple of hours of fascinating conversation with him. He is a straight-up guy who hates any form gun-control legislation and is convinced that Obama is a dirty Marxist.

John and I shared other views; he is a devout Catholic ... my kinda guy grin

God Bless,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by David_Walter
Fear-2; Angelina-0

Really? You own guns based on the 0.05% chance of an intruder and think avoiding an 87% probability of death by cancer is extreme?

You've obviously never seen someone die from breast cancer.

Friend Dave,

No kidding!!!

I've watched it and breast cancer is ugly.

I also say my friend Basil Bradbury, the editor of Petersen's, die from prostate cancer. Holy moly, that was horrible.

God Bless,

Steve

"God Loves Each Of Us As If There Were Only One Of Us"
Saint Augustine of Hippo - AD 397

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Friend Steve,

I watched my MIL die from breast cancer. One of the strongest and most beautiful women I've ever been blessed to know. Courage to the end, but the end came, and it was ugly.

"Only a fool fights in a burning house."

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General
John Stark.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

Jolie made a smart call, but she's not out of the woods. The gene she tested positive for is associated with both breast and ovarian cancer, according to the news reports.

Her mother died at 57 of ovarian cancer. Don't know if Jolie is contemplating a preemptive hysterectomy, but I wouldn't be surprised.

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by dogzapper

Angelina Jolie made a very rational and mature medical decision. It was also a brave decision.

Shooter? Oh heck yes. I've met industry folks who knew Jolie and loved her gunny attitude and that includes her wedding present: Brad gave her a shooting range!!!!!

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/ne...a-jolie-400k-shooting-range-wedding-gift

By the way, she does all of her own movie stunts. Personally, I never miss an Angelina Jolie action movie.

I've met her father, John Voight, and shared a couple of hours of fascinating conversation with him. He is a straight-up guy who hates any form gun-control legislation and is convinced that Obama is a dirty Marxist.

John and I shared other views; he is a devout Catholic ... my kinda guy grin

God Bless,

Steve

Yes, a very wise decision. But not an easy one

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by tjm10025
Jolie made a smart Don't know if Jolie is contemplating a preemptive hysterectomy, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Radio said that is coming next. She is tough for certain.

I wonder if Obamacare (or any insurance plan) would pay for this sort of preemptive treatment? I bet not.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Heard it on the radio on the way to work this morning. Unbelievable that any woman would do that preventatively.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Fear-2; Angelina-0

That's not a very smart attitude. The genetics behind this are very well understood, if a woman tests positive for these genes it's just a matter of time before she comes down with cancer. It's not a matter of if, it's when. Cancer screening is actually pretty primitive, relying upon it to catch everything when you've already been told you're going to get it is playing with fire. She made the only logical choice, your method would almost certainly have her dealing with cancer treatment within the next 20 years.

My mom died of cancer at 62. My wife's best friend died 2 months ago from breast cancer at 46, she was a health nut who kept up with all the recommended screenings, they didn't catch it in time. Knowing that you're going to get it and not taking preventative measures is dumb, real dumb.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, eh, Crow hunter? I agree. Esp. with the big C

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kudos for blasting it out to the world. Listened to one of the women on the radio last night who's family was used to find the gene in question. A sad list of women ancestors who had all died way too young.... The gal was choking up when she was asked about Angelina's choice to go public. It was obviously personal to her, and she was incredibly grateful for the exposure.

The testing itself isn't cheap, but that will surely come down over time.

No kids should grow up without their grand mother around.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BrentD
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, eh, Crow hunter? I agree. Esp. with the big C
I'm not arguing against her decision but I just gotta say, them puppies weighed way more than an ounce and they were awesome.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

677 members (10ring1, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 160user, 63 invisible), 3,018 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,847
Posts18,478,411
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.