Hop To
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
TRH and Pira.
Very interesting discourse.
IMHO, too many laws, too many lawyers, too lenient prison system, too slow of a justice system, too many who game the system and suffer no apparent consequences. too many corrupt "public officials".

Question: is a professional police force worth the money we're paying them?
Too much, too little or just about right?
Is the use of the police to generate revenue for the municipality a proper use ?

It was Jerry "Mad Dog" Shriver (SFC E-7)who said:
"No, no, I've got them right where I want them -- surrounded from the inside."

http://www.macvsog.cc/1969.htm
GB1

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Penobscot_99
...Is the use of the police to generate revenue for the municipality by preying on the citizenry a proper use ?

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Penobscot_99
TRH and Pira.
Very interesting discourse.
IMHO, too many laws, too many lawyers, too lenient prison system, too slow of a justice system, too many who game the system and suffer no apparent consequences. too many corrupt "public officials".

Question: is a professional police force worth the money we're paying them?
Too much, too little or just about right?
Is the use of the police to generate revenue for the municipality a proper use ?

The whole revenue thing has completely gotten out of control. It's what led to quotas. It wasn't that they were worried about what we were or were not doing. The city councels got to wondering where all the revenue was that should have been coming from tickets and ordinance enforcement. So they looked. And found that a majority of officers were not writing many tickets. This was throughout the 60's and 70's. Which led to quotas in the 80s and 90s. Then, in Ca at least, they were outlawed. So they came up with a new name.....performance goals. Our unions got rid of that too (one of the few things unions have done right.)

So now you just don't get the assignments you want or promoted or whatever if they don't see production out of you. Not everywhere. Mostly in smaller cities with less crime. In larger cities, you have traffic officers and regular officers (among others). Traffic guys will probabaly write the ticket. Patrol guys are usually using the stop to see if you have a warrant or something.

As for if we're worth what you're paying for, I don't know. I do know that since our wages and benefits have gone down, we don't get the quality applicants we used to. I'm part of the hiring and training process, and since the decline of the economy, our application numbers have skyrocketed, but the quality has gone down a lot. It's horrible.

Part of the problem where I work is that it's way overpriced. A lot of us cannot afford to live anywhere near where we work. The local population is either doing good, or failing miserably. Those doing good don't apply, those failing, aren't usually hireable for one reason or another. The qualified good applicants are leaving the state. Good for them, but we're screwed because of it.

So, that's a fraction of the equation I'm sure. But it's what I see. I work at a Sheriff's Office so I don't see the problems with quotas and such. We don't do a lot of tickets and no one cares. We're litterally too busy for it. Plus there's still a culture of "old Sheriff's" around here. We don't roll 10 deep on a call. Usually one or two. We don't look for reasons to arrest, we look for reasons not to. And we quite literally know all the bad guys in the county. Due to patrol, courts, and the jail. So were a tad more successful at resolving things on scene. Sometimes, an arrest is just what's gonna happen.

I agree that we have too many laws. Too many lawyers. The prison system is failed and overcrowded. There's one more part of the issue you missed though. And it's the worst. Judges. Judges, who I call magical fat creatures in black robes, think they are above the law. And mostly, they're right. There is simply ZERO accountability for a judge that doesn't follow the law. They go outside of it on a daily basis. Blatantly. And you can't sue them. You can complain, and have your complaint heard by........wait for it.......a judge.

Judges are worse than politicians in my mind. Because no one even recognizes that they are corrupt. On a national level, sometimes we talk about them. But that's it. Ask any guy who's been to divorce court or family court. The law simply don't matter. See it all the time. Even in criminal court.

So the question is still hanging out there. Hanging by a thread (pun intended...get it? grin ). What system would be better? And how, in this day and age, do you implement it???

My solution involves a fantasy where the citizens fix it by force. But I know it ain't gonna happen. So any real ideas?

Last edited by pira114; 05/21/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Are the judges out there elected?

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by KR13
Are the judges out there elected?

Yes and no. Typically they are elected by nonpartisan vote every six years. All judges are up for reelection every six years. No limits.

If a vacancy comes up between elections, one is appointed by the governor.

In 58 counties, we have more than 2000 judges. All are bar member lawyers. Must be by law.

There are no justice of the peace courts in Ca anymore. Since the mid 70s.

So to answer the unasked question, yes, we can "remove" them by vote. But there is still no real accountability for illegal behavior on the bench. And honestly, the judge vote is laughable. Most have no clue about the judges and vote for the Incumbent. Becoming a new judge is commonly achieved by appointment or election when running unopposed.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do believe people should be required to have at least a 3rd grade level of understanding about government before they are allowed to vote.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots & tyrants. It is it's natural manure. - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That'll never happen. If it did, the Dems wouldn't have a chance.

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (1234, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 22kHornet, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 257 roberts, 60 invisible), 3,033 guests, and 1,043 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,590
Posts18,532,420
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.