Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 33 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 32 33
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by curdog4570
"You are the cops: What do you do if he A: doesnt put the gun down after being ordered too.

B: puts the gun down but pucks it back up as has been suggested?"

That has puzzled me from the start.

Now that it's been reported that only one cop did all the shooting, it might be that the one who didn't shoot said the old man dropped the gun.

The one who did shoot claims he had a gun.

So... to square up both statements,.... you have him drop the gun............ and then pick it up again.

If someone can postulate a more plausible explanation, I'm open minded.

Gene. Cant say for sure but its possible. That both officers were not side by side. Maybe the other was at an angle where he couldnt see the gun/ have a clear line of fire?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Gene. Cant say for sure but its possible. That both officers were not side by side. Maybe the other was at an angle where he couldnt see the gun/ have a clear line of fire?

Or maybe the other officer had a better mental perspective, and realize the guy was just picking it up to walk back into the house.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Or maybe the other officer had a better mental perspective, and realize the guy was just picking it up to walk back into the house.
. Doesnt happen that way. We dont let people just pick up their gun and go back inside once they have been ordered to drop it. He would have been detained until it could have been verified that he lived there. If he picked the gun back up after being ordered to drop it all bets are off. He has made a furtive movement

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Well said.

Not really.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
FWIW:

I was out with a LEO on Thursday. He had a couple of comments that are relevant to this discussion.

1. - They are trained that, if dark, ALWAYS shine your light into the guy's eyes. Use the spotlight from the cruiser or use your flashlight, but put in in their eyes. That way, you can see them but they CAN'T see you. They are blinded. Who knows, but in this case maybe the old guy did not know, other than perhaps hearing a "loud command voice" that the people shining the light at him were cops.

2. - Their "understood" department protocol, when rolling up to what the refer to as an "active scene" is to shoot everybody with a gun in their hand. It is entirely up to the individual cop if he wants to give a command to drop or not. They are fully authorized to shoot everybody with a gun. Period. He advised me to think twice about using a weapon and coming to someone's aid before or after the cops show up. He advised that even if I was assisting an officer down that I would likely be immediately shot by the next leo showing up if I was holding a gun.

3. - They are taught that their primary goal is to finish the shift alive and in good health. Yes, they mix it up with the perps, but do not take any chances. They are taught that in this event, as described, that it is unfortunate but the cops were just following protocols as they have been taught. Unfortunate and that's about it. Remember, they are not out there to protect the citizen. They are out there to apprehend criminals. This is important. YOU are considered to be a potential criminal until demonstrated otherwise. This old guy would simply be seen as unfortunate collateral damage.

TF

Last edited by TF49; 06/01/13.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by TF49
FWIW:

I was out with a LEO on Thursday. He had a couple of comments that are relevant to this discussion.

1. - They are trained that, if dark, ALWAYS shine your light into the guy's eyes. Use the spotlight from the cruiser or use your flashlight, but put in in their eyes. That way, you can see them but they CAN'T see you. They are blinded. Who knows, but in this case maybe the old guy did not know, other than perhaps hearing a "loud command voice" that the people shining the light at him were cops.

2. - Their "understood" department protocol, when rolling up to what the refer to as an "active scene" is to shoot everybody with a gun in their hand. It is entirely up to the individual cop if he wants to give a command to drop or not. They are fully authorized to shoot everybody with a gun. Period. He advised me to think twice about using a weapon and coming to someone's aid before or after the cops show up. He advised that even if I was assisting an officer down that I would likely be immediately shot by the next leo showing up if I was holding a gun.

3. - They are taught that their primary goal is to finish the shift alive and in good health. Yes, they mix it up with the perps, but do not take any chances. They are taught that in this event, as described, that it is unfortunate but the cops were just following protocols as they have been taught. Unfortunate and that's about it. Remember, they are not out there to protect the citizen. They are out there to apprehend criminals. This is important. YOU are considered to be a potential criminal until demonstrated otherwise. This old guy would simply be seen as unfortunate collateral damage.

TF

TFF!

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by BudLightyear
I've lived in Fort Worth a long time- had both good and bad experience with FWPD- mostly bad, I'm ashamed to say. No need to tell my stories here.

Their training of officers is antiquated and barbaric, and is done to give the officer a feeling of superiority and dominance over the general public. I am aware of this from inside knowledge of people at many levels of Local and federal LE. They have a very high academy drop out rate, and these student move on to other local PDs with more modern, humane, and progressive training.

The people of Fort Worth seem to have come out overwhelming In support of the old man and his family, and want to know the truth about what happened.

I am following this closely to see how it turns out.

Oh...due to the low class static on this thread, I have found it much easier to follow and more informative since I have put Dink an Isaac on my ignore list.

Bud

I bet you have had a lot of run ins with the PD. Can you tell everyone why you have had so many dealings with the police?

(if he doesn't lie this should be good)

Dink

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
FWIW:

TF

TFF!

Yea ive never seen or heard anything like. #2 in 13 years of con ed updates and trainings as well as academy training.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
I"ll say it. The city cops in this area are all liars. Any time I encounter one, I just look at my watch, and see how long it is before I catch then in a lie. Usually it's around 5 minutes. Sometime it's longer, but virtually always I will catch them in a lie. The County Sheriffs are very different. Seldom will you catch one of them in a lie. I believe this probably started with Frazier v. Cupp which ruled cops can lie so long as it's not "offensive to the court". The problem is, they get so used to it, they can't stop. This dynamic has a highly corrective effect on the relationship between Law Enforcement and the public. If you can't trust them to tell the truth in casual conversation, how can you trust them to tell the truth after they kill a 73 year old man standing in his own garage? The answer is you can't, so any benefit of any doubt should go to the dead man who can't tell his side of the story.
You're right. It's become standard procedure for cops to lie in their interactions with the public in order to manipulate them into inculpating themselves in some way. I imagine that can be habit-forming in general.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
The cop who killed that innocent man should be behind bars facing manslaughter (minimum) charges right now. He made a mistake and he should take his lumps like a grown man. NO excuse for not being able to count house numbers (odd/even) and end up on the wrong side of the street when responding to a burglary call, it's part of being a "professional" LEO.

It's a good thing we have a judicial system where facts decide the fate of a "defendant" and not the hyperbolic statements of yet another poster who has a hard-on for LEOs in general. The only FACT you know is a 72 year old man was shot by a certified police officer commissioned by the City of Ft. Worth, TX. Anything else you may have gleaned from newspaper article, or a God-forsaken [bleep] blog, is at best suspect in accuracy.

IC B3

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I can't believe #2 either, unless you believe LEO's are above the law. If a LEO is fearful of his safety then he needs another line of work. First and foremost LEO's are to protect and serve not kill, they are supposed to be aware that an armed subject may not be a "Perp" but possibly a citizen who is assisting someone or just protecting himself or his family or proprty. With all the hype about firearms being "Bad" or "Evil" have we relegated our view to believe LEO's are allowed to shoot anyone possessing a weapon. I fear a world where such a view is allowed.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

TF
Precisely as to two and three. Number one rings true as well. All of these are highly problematic in what's supposed to be a free nation.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
...I imagine...

The quote is the only truthful part of your post.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
It's 2013 in America.

Cop'll shoot you if you're holding a firearm.

Many people in their 70's don't really know that.

Pay attention,...behave accordingly,...or maybe become an ex-pat,...I dunno.

,...but what's happening in the U.S of A is going to get more harsh by the day,....and it isn't just limited to the behavior of American cops.

If I was 40 years old or younger, I'd be gettin' the fug outta this place.

It's bad and gonna get much worse very soon.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
...I imagine...

His imagination is also dangerous

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
...I imagine...

"It's become standard procedure for cops to lie in their interactions with the public in order to manipulate them into inculpating themselves in some way."

I've witnessed it myself. While interviewing a suspect, cops toss in lies designed to trip them up and/or encourage confessions. A favorite appears to be to suggest a contraction where none is present, i.e., lie about what the suspect said a few minutes previously so as to convince them they're being railroaded, so might as well try for a deal.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
FWIW:

TF

If your buddy really is LEO he was [bleep] with you. If he actually told you this he is not LEO.

Funny either way though.

Dink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gitem_12
Originally Posted by ol_mike
What the cops need to learn to do is back away and figure things out -not start shooting .

Except its OUR job to be there not his, he should have put his weapon down. He placed himself in a bad situation. Its a trajic trajic situation all around for ALL concerned. But until YOU have walked in our ahoes the best thing to do is STFU

Wrong sir!

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

2. - Their "understood" department protocol, when rolling up to what the refer to as an "active scene" is to shoot everybody with a gun in their hand. TF

The tin-foil hat crowd grows with each LEO-centric news article.

Your #2 is a flat out lie.

It's a bald faced, rancid prevarication.

There could be more plain clothes LEOs at an "active" scene than there are criminal suspects. Do you expect ANYONE to believe that the LEOs of Ft. Worth would actually shoot everyone with a gun in their hand at an active scene knowing that there could be any number of plainclothes detectives or grungy looking undercover officers on the "active" scene? Good Lord have mercy; I just thought [bleep] posted the most outrageous, outlandish, stupid thing I had read in my 14 years on this board + the time spent on the old Shooter's board. Now I have to take the latex anus award away from him and award it to you.

Confuckinggratulations!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
...I imagine...

"It's become standard procedure for cops to lie in their interactions with the public in order to manipulate them into inculpating themselves in some way."

I've witnessed it myself. While interviewing a suspect, cops toss in lies designed to trip them up and/or encourage confessions. A favorite appears to be to suggest a contraction where none is present, i.e., lie about what the suspect said a few minutes previously so as to convince them they're being railroaded, so might as well try for a deal.

Umm. An interrogation of a suspect. Is mot an interaction with the public. And generally if i am interrogating someone its mot willy-nilly out of the blue. Chaces are i know he is the right guy before i go question him. If i choose to change his words around on him it is because i have already caught him in a lie.

Whats next. You gonna tell me that getting a confession is entrapment?

Page 17 of 33 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 32 33

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 10ring1, 61 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,086
Posts18,521,930
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.