Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by foogle
Whit,i have no doubt in your ability to shoot, but i am not missing your point, my point is just not yours. the majority of folks on any of these threads are not very experienced . Others as you ,are. I just so often see advice offered that does not serve the asker very well and may lead to dangerous expectations that are not reasonable in their case. Of course anyone will attempt to defend themselves to all extents available in any situation. Hitting a charging bear in the brain would require the same skill or luck level as hitting a walnut thrown at you. Same size same speed. .i just would not want anyone to think for one moment a comfort level in bear country be cause they believe themselves to be proficient with a powerful handgun.

First off a handgun can stop and kill a bear without a brain shot. This test I did a while back and it clearly demonstrates enough penetration to get the job done if the need so arises

Originally Posted by jwp475

Today I performed a little penetration test with the 45 ACP and the Buffalo Bore 255 grain hast cast load.. The load is advertised at 925 FPS

tradmark has stated over and over on another forum that "it is about the bullet" and I totaly I agree it is about the bullet

The load and the weapon

[Linked Image]

The test media waa comprised of 11 gallon milk jugs filled with water

[Linked Image]

The results the 255 grain hard cast penetrated and exited 9 jugs

[Linked Image]

The exit in the lwer corner of jug #9 caused the bullet to miss jugs 10 & 11

[Linked Image]

There is no doubt that this load has enough penetration for a 500+ pound Bear and in my opinion exit an Elk with a rib cage shot placement

And yes, I have stopped a grizz with a handgun the one on the left as well as the moose on the left

[Linked Image]

Too many look at the FPE and declare the handgun feeble, nothing could be farther from the truth

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice critters and shootin JWP, I realize this is a handgun forum but your reply applies to one of my Sharps rifles too, the 520 gr Government bullet at a lowly 1200 fps is an incredible penetrator.

Energy figures are indeed a moot point, bet I could develop more ft. lbs of energy with a 3lb short handled shop hammer than my 45-70 Shiloh so loaded.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i agree completely. even though I carry spray with me daily here in the middle of griz country I also have a side arm as a normal piece of my everyday attire. I don't want to kill a bear unless there is no recourse. my neighbor and friend Jeremy Hill killed one that kept my wife and me in the house for a few days and it turned his life into hell. less trouble to kill a person under the present misadministration.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P

My neighbors were staying at the Glacier Chalet the �Night of the Grizzlies� in 1967. For those that haven�t seen the documentary, here�s a link. http://www.aptonline.org/catalog.nsf/vLinkTitle/GLACIER+PARK+S+NIGHT+OF+THE+GRIZZLIES .

Judy, was the first to hear the cry for help from the nearby campers and alerted the staff.

The utter terror of being helpless and eaten alive is incomprehensible.

If either of those two groups of campers had a .45ACP loaded with the BB ammo (basically the original 40gr black powder.45 colt load with an improved bullet), the outcome may have been different � warning shots and/or contact distance, stick it in the ear, on the ground, fight for your life situation� no guarantees of course. Neither of these incidents involved a charge, just a slow, methodical/relentless attack of a helpless human.

What this highlights, to me anyway, is that bear encounters (no matter how infrequently they occur) will not be predictable and that the best you can do is give yourself a chance to survive. No matter what you are carrying, you don�t have a chance against an initial blind side attack from the brush at short range. How many attack encounters have you read about where the person survives the initial onslaught, only to have the bear move off a short distance and linger in the area? Your rifle or shotgun slung across your back, or knocked 30 feet into the scrub won�t do any good, but a handgun (if you can get to it) may save your life � or you can play possum (in my case not playing, just frozen). How you choose to do this is a very personal matter � there aren�t any guarantees.

If you are on the ground, injured and your primary hand is useless, can you shoot/control your chosen firearm/bear spay with your weak hand?

Just remember that if you choose to carry both Bear Spray and a firearm, it should work fine under a controlled encounter, but could be problematic (which one?) in a high stress situation (charge).

I suspect that carrying a rifle or shotgun in Glacier Park would be frowned upon (although I�m not sure how the law reads). The freaking �Going to the Sun� road scares me a lot more than any grizzly.

If you choose to use the Buffalo Bore 255 lead bullets, make sure they work in your firearm. I have a Kahr CW45 w/Remora IWB that I use as a grab and go 2nd gun occasionally that won�t work with the BB load. The diameter of the ogive hangs up on the rifling � result is a FTF. I fixed this by using a RCBS .45 Collet bullet puller � squeeze, rotate, squeeze, rotate squeeze until the round passes the clunk/plink/plunk test.

Just some random thoughts from an old geezer.

FWIW,

Paul

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Jwp, where did hit the bear and was this a hunting situation or were you being charged or otherwise threatened. Thanks

Last edited by foogle; 06/05/13.

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by foogle
Jwp, where did hit the bear and was this a hunting situation or were you being charged or otherwise threatened. Thanks

The bear came in on his moose kill while he and his hunting partner were skinning it out. He shot it with his .475 Linebaugh. I wrote about it in a couple of articles as well as in my book. He should finish the story, but it wasn't a CNS hit and it was more than decisive.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Some may remember the study done a few years ago concerning the effectiveness of guns vs bear spray. Between the rifle and handgun it was found the handgun was more effective at saving a person from being killed or severly mauled than a rifle. The reason being is because the handgun was small and could be used if the bear had a person down where the rifle would have been useless. Now if you could hit the charging bear with the rifle it is a no brainer which is more effective.

A friend went through a bear protection class in Alaska a few years ago. He had to face a fake bear cutout as it raced and bounced at him from close range. He used his Ruger Alaskan in 454 Casull. He has always been an excellent shot with a rifle, but I don't know with a pistol. Anyway, he missed every shot and missed badly. He said it was almost like a real charge because he didn't know when it would happen, but had to hit the thing after being surprised and having a bear charge him even though fake.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
remember , you don't have to out run a bear.
Just your closest companion.
So any slug to their knee should save your hide!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Just a Hunter
Some may remember the study done a few years ago concerning the effectiveness of guns vs bear spray. Between the rifle and handgun it was found the handgun was more effective at saving a person from being killed or severly mauled than a rifle. The reason being is because the handgun was small and could be used if the bear had a person down where the rifle would have been useless. Now if you could hit the charging bear with the rifle it is a no brainer which is more effective.

A friend went through a bear protection class in Alaska a few years ago. He had to face a fake bear cutout as it raced and bounced at him from close range. He used his Ruger Alaskan in 454 Casull. He has always been an excellent shot with a rifle, but I don't know with a pistol. Anyway, he missed every shot and missed badly. He said it was almost like a real charge because he didn't know when it would happen, but had to hit the thing after being surprised and having a bear charge him even though fake.

Yup, and try taking your rifle into your sleeping bag with you.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Buffalo Bore has a "Technical Article" on its website that has helped me tremendously in trying to understand all the bear handgun stuff.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=108

One of the things I've read elsewhere that made sense to me is that you wouldn't want to use bear spray when already in contact with the bear or from within a hammock or tent/tarp set up. Also, you get more "engagements" with a handgun (by simply carrying more ammo) than spray unless you're actually carrying spare spray cans.

It's "only black bears" by me so I feel more than OK with a hot 45 ACP.

Last edited by alukban; 06/05/13.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by alukban
Buffalo Bore has a "Technical Article" on its website that has helped me tremendously in trying to understand all the bear handgun stuff.

One of the things I've read elsewhere that made sense to me is that you wouldn't want to use bear spray when already in contact with the bear or from within a hammock or tent/tarp set up. Also, you get more "engagements" with a handgun (by simply carrying more ammo) than spray unless you're actually carrying spare spray cans.

I always marvel at the "just black bear" commentary most make (this isn't directed at you alukban), but I've seen smallish black bears dismantle packs of dogs with little effort. I would hate to be on the receiving end of any black bear, large or small!

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D

That article (I believe it was written by Tim at BB) is an excellent summary, although I would quibble with Tim on one or two points.

First thing, I do not agree with his assertion that a 9mm or 38 Spl is adequate for defense against bears. I've heard this from other people in the past, and it's based on the very true assumption that these cartridges have enough power to penetrate a bear's skull if fired from a favorable angle. Unfortunately, if you're close enough to be shooting a bear in the head with a 9mm you're probably in deep [bleep] already... so your ability to aim precisely is going to be in the toilet, and the bear may not give you a favorable angle to work with. If you can't get a favorable angle, contrary to Tim's assertion, bullets can and do fail to penetrate the skull and tunnel harmlessly under the skin. You can lessen the chance of that happening by using a hard blunt meplat non-HP bullet, but a lot of autopistols won't feed LBT-profile type bullets reliably.

Second thing I disagree with is the notion that one should shoot any bear that shows aggressive tendencies. Tim asserts that any bear that shows signs of aggression is likely to attack a sooner or later, so it's his obligation to pre-emptively kill this "dangerous" bear. But bears make displays of aggression for a variety of reasons, and most of the time you have no clue what the bear's motive might be. A mama bear popping her teeth and bluff-charging you because she's got newborn cubs hiding in the bush behind her is only doing what she's evolved to do, for instance. Kill her for being a good mama, and you destroy not only her life, but the lives of her cubs. Similarly, a grizzly lying on a carcass is going to make aggressive displays (as long as you don't pop up on him at very close distance, in which case he's just gonna maul your ass), which he is again what he's evolved to do. 99% of his time is spent eating other stuff that he doesn't have an instinctive need to protect, so the likelihood that he's going to attack another person in the future isn't high.

Gary Shelton's books on bear attacks are IMHO a must-read for people who spend time in bear country. I had a lot of knowledge about bear behavior and how to avoid bear attacks prior to reading Shelton's books, and it took me 40 years of backcountry experience as well as training in bear behavior when I was doing field research in undergrad to learn what I knew, but Shelton's books doubled or tripled my knowledge.

As you correctly point out, bear spray has its limitations such as being useless in a tent or close-quarters situation, but firearms have their limitations too. Particularly autoloading pistols, in my view.

My practice when travelling in bear country is to carry one or two cans of bear spray in holsters on my belt as well as a large-caliber double-action revolver. (I don't carry a rifle or shotgun unless I'm hunting, any more, but for most of my life up in Canada I carried a 12-gauge slug gun or a rifle because handguns are so restricted up there.) Moreover, every person in my party is advised to carry at least one can of bear spray, and a revolver if they're competent with it. Knowing when bear spray is appropriate or not is critical information, and knowing when shooting is appropriate is likewise critical information.

Shelton's books will provide that information.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is not that hard from this discussion to tell which people have been around bears from the ones that have not.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Whitworth1

I always marvel at the "just black bear" commentary most make (this isn't directed at you alukban), but I've seen smallish black bears dismantle packs of dogs with little effort. I would hate to be on the receiving end of any black bear, large or small!

Agreed! Black bears can be big bastards, and even a "small" one of 180 pounds or so is potentially very dangerous (think about how much fun it would be to be mauled by a 180-pound dog, for an example more familiar to most folks). The other thing about blackies that doesn't apply so much to grizzlies is that some black bears are man-eaters. They'll hunt you.

I was hunted by a predaceous black bear once, and it was a chilling experience. I was flyfishing for grayling in the Freeman River in Alberta, mid-September, and the berry crop had failed that year, so the bears were hungry and aggressive. I didn't kill the bear, but did put a 12-gauge slug into the dirt between his front paws to back him off. He was a big Swan Hill bear, probably 350+ pounds, and there is no doubt in my mind that if I hadn't had a firearm that day I would have been bear chow. His silent, straight-in approach, lowered head, and direct glare were all crystal clear notices of his intentions. I think bear spray might have worked to back him off, but I didn't carry spray back in those days. Bears have been known to come back at people after the initial effects of the spray wears off, so having another can of spray or better yet a firearm for the second attack is prudent.

Being eaten alive by a hungry black bear vs being mauled to death by an aggressive grizzly? I don't see much attraction in either option.

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by DocRocket

That article (I believe it was written by Tim at BB) is an excellent summary, although I would quibble with Tim on one or two points.

First thing, I do not agree with his assertion that a 9mm or 38 Spl is adequate for defense against bears. I've heard this from other people in the past, and it's based on the very true assumption that these cartridges have enough power to penetrate a bear's skull if fired from a favorable angle. Unfortunately, if you're close enough to be shooting a bear in the head with a 9mm you're probably in deep [bleep] already... so your ability to aim precisely is going to be in the toilet, and the bear may not give you a favorable angle to work with. If you can't get a favorable angle, contrary to Tim's assertion, bullets can and do fail to penetrate the skull and tunnel harmlessly under the skin. You can lessen the chance of that happening by using a hard blunt meplat non-HP bullet, but a lot of autopistols won't feed LBT-profile type bullets reliably.

Second thing I disagree with is the notion that one should shoot any bear that shows aggressive tendencies. Tim asserts that any bear that shows signs of aggression is likely to attack a sooner or later, so it's his obligation to pre-emptively kill this "dangerous" bear. But bears make displays of aggression for a variety of reasons, and most of the time you have no clue what the bear's motive might be. A mama bear popping her teeth and bluff-charging you because she's got newborn cubs hiding in the bush behind her is only doing what she's evolved to do, for instance. Kill her for being a good mama, and you destroy not only her life, but the lives of her cubs. Similarly, a grizzly lying on a carcass is going to make aggressive displays (as long as you don't pop up on him at very close distance, in which case he's just gonna maul your ass), which he is again what he's evolved to do. 99% of his time is spent eating other stuff that he doesn't have an instinctive need to protect, so the likelihood that he's going to attack another person in the future isn't high.

Gary Shelton's books on bear attacks are IMHO a must-read for people who spend time in bear country. I had a lot of knowledge about bear behavior and how to avoid bear attacks prior to reading Shelton's books, and it took me 40 years of backcountry experience as well as training in bear behavior when I was doing field research in undergrad to learn what I knew, but Shelton's books doubled or tripled my knowledge.

As you correctly point out, bear spray has its limitations such as being useless in a tent or close-quarters situation, but firearms have their limitations too. Particularly autoloading pistols, in my view.

My practice when travelling in bear country is to carry one or two cans of bear spray in holsters on my belt as well as a large-caliber double-action revolver. (I don't carry a rifle or shotgun unless I'm hunting, any more, but for most of my life up in Canada I carried a 12-gauge slug gun or a rifle because handguns are so restricted up there.) Moreover, every person in my party is advised to carry at least one can of bear spray, and a revolver if they're competent with it. Knowing when bear spray is appropriate or not is critical information, and knowing when shooting is appropriate is likewise critical information.

Shelton's books will provide that information.

I agree with you almost 100%. The tiny quibble I have is that I agree with Tim. Why? Because any "black" bear that sticks around after our initial encounter has got eating on their mind - and IMO they need to die from high-speed lead poisoning. Mama will get the cubs out pronto and it will be pretty obvious what she is up to. But if she's learned to raid camps then I think she needs to suffer the same fate - cubs or not.

By the way, the grizzly sow that killed the sleeping camper on the edge of Yellowstone only weighed about 220lbs, and she had two cubs. She was particularly nasty in that she was hunting people.

I use a hammock and I always wonder what sort of a burrito I am to a bear. I've taken to bring a dog with me for an extra set of eyes and ears - I've got one female lab that is very alert. Problem is that I can't take her into Wolf country as she has a habit of wandering outside of camp a bit too far. I've had wolves come within 50 yards at night and they don't take kindly to other dogs at all.

Shelton's books (3 of them) are invaluable for learning enough bear behavior to know when to shoot.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by dla
[quote=DocRocket]
I agree with you almost 100%. The tiny quibble I have is that I agree with Tim. Why? Because any "black" bear that sticks around after our initial encounter has got eating on their mind - and IMO they need to die from high-speed lead poisoning. Mama will get the cubs out pronto and it will be pretty obvious what she is up to. But if she's learned to raid camps then I think she needs to suffer the same fate - cubs or not.

I won't argue with you on those two examples. I abbreviated my post for purposes of brevity, but I agree completely that these two examples are bears that need to die.

One needs to keep in mind the consequences that may fall upon you for doing so, however, in some jurisdictions. In the example I gave from my experience with the predaceous black bear, I was very aware that if I killed the bear, I faced the very real risk of losing all my firearms, having my hunting license suspended for at least 2 years, and heavy fines and/or jail time due to the attitude of the authorities at that time... unless I could show that the bear was actively attacking me. When the bear moved off, my ability to argue "self-defense" evaporated. Even though he followed me at a distance all the way back to my vehicle, he did not attack.

Originally Posted by dla
By the way, the grizzly sow that killed the sleeping camper on the edge of Yellowstone only weighed about 220lbs, and she had two cubs. She was particularly nasty in that she was hunting people.

I use a hammock and I always wonder what sort of a burrito I am to a bear. I've taken to bring a dog with me for an extra set of eyes and ears - I've got one female lab that is very alert. Problem is that I can't take her into Wolf country as she has a habit of wandering outside of camp a bit too far. I've had wolves come within 50 yards at night and they don't take kindly to other dogs at all.

Shelton's books (3 of them) are invaluable for learning enough bear behavior to know when to shoot.

Glad to hear of another Shelton fan. They're great books, the guy really knows bears.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ppine
It is not that hard from this discussion to tell which people have been around bears from the ones that have not.

And the ones who have used handguns for more than just punching paper.

I have all of Gary Shelton's books as well and agree that they are a great source of information.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Bears arn't that damn hard to kill...Seen many killed with a .22 Mag and even the lowly .38 special and a host of other cartridges..A very good friend was a Bear hunter/guide and I went with him on many trips until I saw a Bear hurt some of his dogs.

Idaho has a ton of Grizzlies,enough that there finally taking them off the endangered list...I see them all the time back where we hunt but they hit the road in a hurry when they see or smell us,so far anyway.

Been charged by a Black bear that got into our horses and a 130 Nosler out of my .270 Win between the front shoulders in the chest made him go up/swype at his wound and fall over dead.

I don't feel under gunned in Bear country with my .357 or 45 acp even though I have a .454 Casull and a 45-70 BFR throwing 525 grain bullets out of the 7.5" BFR at 1300 fps.It's all in the guy behind the weapon and how well he maintains with what is in front of him.

Lose your cool and your dead or hurt/calm keeps you alive, reguardless of what your carrying!

Jayco

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All these "bear killin' with a handgun" threads always seem to leave me with the same impression; I think I'd rather take advice from someone who has 20 years of experience doing it instead of someone who has of a years worth of experience practiced 20 times.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 41magfan
All these "bear killin' with a handgun" threads always seem to leave me with the same impression; I think I'd rather take advice from someone who has 20 years of experience doing it instead of someone who has of a years worth of experience practiced 20 times.

But this is a discussion. You can carry a sidearm for 50 years in the field and not get charged once by a brownie, black bear, panda, or teddy bear, yet another person may have been charged and had to sort one out the first time they went camping. So, years "doing it" -- whatever that actually means -- may not be relevant, particularly when talking about bear attacks. How many here -- or anywhere for that matter -- have been attacked, or at least charged by a bear hellbent on destruction?? I know of one (jwp), however, that doesn't mean that calibers/loads/bullets/tactics/prevention/etc. shouldn't be discussed. JMHO. YYMV.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

Bovine Bullet Test

Page 5 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

87 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 325wsm1, 35, 6mmbrfan, 12 invisible), 13,249 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,229
Posts18,544,004
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.