Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Ya-well..As usual, the discussion has nothing to do with what the original poster asked....He said he was taking a 45 acp to Glacier and was asking which ammo to use...

Then came the reply's that had nothing at all to do with ammo for the 45 acp in bear country....

Carry on.....

Jayco laugh

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Whitworth1
Originally Posted by 41magfan
All these "bear killin' with a handgun" threads always seem to leave me with the same impression; I think I'd rather take advice from someone who has 20 years of experience doing it instead of someone who has of a years worth of experience practiced 20 times.

But this is a discussion. You can carry a sidearm for 50 years in the field and not get charged once by a brownie, black bear, panda, or teddy bear, yet another person may have been charged and had to sort one out the first time they went camping. So, years "doing it" -- whatever that actually means -- may not be relevant, particularly when talking about bear attacks. How many here -- or anywhere for that matter -- have been attacked, or at least charged by a bear hellbent on destruction?? I know of one (jwp), however, that doesn't mean that calibers/loads/bullets/tactics/prevention/etc. shouldn't be discussed. JMHO. YYMV.

Hey, I'm cool with discussing things - I was just making an observation.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 41magfan
All these "bear killin' with a handgun" threads always seem to leave me with the same impression; I think I'd rather take advice from someone who has 20 years of experience doing it instead of someone who has of a years worth of experience practiced 20 times.

Jjhack had a career of trapping and dispatching black bears -a very good reference on the subject. It would be worth it to search for his posts on killing bears.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have to say, while I think bear defense is very over thought (easy to say sitting in Iowa), I have found this thread to be informative. Best I've read with many good points both for and against (still a few worn out BS cliches thrown in).

I can't imagine buying a specific more powerful gun for a trip to grizz country. If I were to go I'd still use my .357. Sure I'd cross my fingers some but no matter how big of gun I'd be doing the same. Being a flat lander I'm liking the advice of the BB ammo and dance with who brung ya.

Except for very rare exceptions you have 2 camps when it comes to bear defense. Those that have never done it and those they have done it once. Even twice is a very rare occurrence. For those that have done it, whatever they used musta worked but when it comes right down to it there's not much difference when it comes to practical knowledge IMO. Just cause something worked once does not mean that it will work again in the same situation. I pray that we never have enough actual data to prove how lame a .45acp is or how great .454's and bigger are. If those are the actual case.

Still, I'm actually soaking this thread up and enjoy it. Thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't have much experience with grizzly bears, nor do I pretend to. The one I witnessed in full charge mode from about 800 yards away convinced me that I would like to be in a tank under such circumstances. What I do know is that I really suck at shooting handguns that fire monster cartridges. I hate shooting .44 magnums, and couldn't even dream of accurately shooting some of the stuff you guys shoot, at least beyond the first shot. I am better off carrying something I shoot a lot, with an upload that I can handle, than to fantasize that I can buy a .454 Casull and do a better job with it. I just have to stick to something within my limitations. Now, I don�t get too far off pavement in grizzly country when all I have is a handgun. But, I do carry my Glock 30 with 255 grain +P Buffalo Bores (after seeing jwp475's test) as a primary when bowhunting in an area with regular sightings of black bears, occasional sightings of mountain lions, and probably some wolf encroachment by now. If I get attacked walking in without lights before daylight, it's going to be worse than getting hammered by a linebacker and then having to draw and fire at contact distance after being knocked to the ground. I do try to mentally prepare myself for that while I am walking in.

It looks like I can't get any Gary Shelton books for my Nook, so I may have to find some print versions.

P.S. I should start a thread entitled "What handgun/load for a knife wielding amped up meth-head charging you from 15 feet" and see if people's choices differ much from these bear threads. Most people are more likely to face that scenario than a charging bear, and I doubt many carry their "preferred" firearm and load while walking about town.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've got some 185gr Hornady Z-MAX. If it'll kill Zombies it outta take out any bear wouldn't ya think?... smirk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJkOyPLT3o8

"We live in the present, we dream of the future, but we learn eternal truths from the past"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RWL99
I've got some 185gr Hornady Z-MAX. If it'll kill Zombies it outta take out any bear wouldn't ya think?... smirk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJkOyPLT3o8

Most definitely! grin

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ppine
It is not that hard from this discussion to tell which people have been around bears from the ones that have not.
You would be wrong chief! Ask Whit or Jwp about their handgun experience or better yet read whits book. Probably shouldnt make a staement like that when you dont know.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
She's very good about talking about shcit she doesn't understand.

MAGA
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by ppine
It is not that hard from this discussion to tell which people have been around bears from the ones that have not.

Fascinating.

I was almost tempted to ask you for your insight, but I expect rather than enlightenment we'd receive obfuscation.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Lotof good info from a lot of knowledgeable folks,, thanks to all!

"We are building a dictatorship of relativism which recoqnizes nothing as definitive and whose ultimate goal consists solely of ones own self ego and desires."Cardinal Rathzinger
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Everyone has heard of the two guys saved by the 45 acp in Alaska and if that don't go far enough on smaller less potent handguns work on bears,here is a 9MM with the proper bullet saving peoples bacon.

The 45acp with a good 230 grain FP is more than capable of killing or stopping a bear!

http://www.adn.com/alaska/story/1618619p-1736211c.html

Fisherman shoots, kills grizzly

BEAR! BEAR! Man plugs lunging bruin with 9 mm pistol on Russian River.

By Zaz Hollander
Anchorage Daily News

(Published: August 18, 2002)
A fisherman shot and killed a sow grizzly as she charged him in the early morning darkness Saturday on the banks of the Russian River.

The bear surprised Garen Brenner and two friends about 2:30 a.m. as they packed up their gear at one of the Kenai Peninsula's most popular fishing spots, said Larry Lewis, an Alaska Department of Fish and Game wildlife technician on the peninsula.

Brenner heard his friend yell "Bear! Bear!" and looked downriver to see the sow a few yards down the bank eyeing the friend. The bear lost interest in Brenner's friend after he backed into the water and threw his shotgun at her.

But then she turned, looked up at Brenner and lunged, said Lewis, who interviewed the three men Saturday.

Brenner fired at the center of the hulking shape closing to four or five feet away. He fired

twice. The sow, estimated at 400 to 450 pounds, went down. Then Brenner fired three more shots into her head.

He shot the bear with a 9 mm semiautomatic pistol. Lewis said such a low-caliber gun ordinarily doesn't pack enough punch to kill a bear. But Brenner loaded the pistol with full-metal-jacket bullets that penetrated to the bear's vital organs, he said.

"I think that's what saved his bacon," Lewis said.

Jayco

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The bear lost interest in Brenner's friend after he backed into the water and threw his shotgun at her.

It looks like throwing your shotgun at a bear works also! wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Now there you go muddying the water with a real-life example. You need to learn to stay on task there, Buddy. :^)

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's a blog article here. I can't vouch for it, but there is a link to a newspaper article concerning one of the incidents.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Logcutter is an experienced optimist.

The only cure for life and death is to enjoy the interval.
George Santayana
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For all you doubting buttheads from puzzy states like PA and TX, I worked in SE Alaska and saw bears everyday for several months. Some of them had paws the size of dinner plates. The only person I ever saw in the field was a US Fish and Wildife agent and he was required to carry a .375 H and H if he got out of his boat.

All of this discussion about .45 acps and .357 mags is quite humorous, but a waste of time. If you are going to question someone's else's experience, next time get some of your own.

Last edited by ppine; 06/06/13.

George Santayana
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Phil Shoemaker has a lot of up close and personal experience with big Alaskan bears and he's comfortable with a .357 and the right bullets. He has a great article in the June 2003 Handloader titled "Handguns and Bears" on the subject.

Here's a quote from him on this forum on the subject:
458Win on handguns and bears

Originally Posted by 458Win
The formost virtue of a handgun is that they are portable and likely to be with you at all times. Any handgun beats no gun and a determined person with one should be able to survive most situations. My choice is usually my S&W 44 Mtn Gun as it is comfortable and familiar. I also occationally carry a S&W M-13 357 with hard cast 200gr Fn bullets. i wouldn't feel unarmed with a Glock, Ruger or other good auto but as we used to say in the military - the purpose of a handgun is to fight your way to a rifle.

My take - a handgun you can shoot well, including a .45acp, with the right bullets is a hell of a lot better than a cannon you can't shoot, a sharp stick, or a rifle you left in the truck because it was too heavy to carry.

Last edited by jds44; 06/06/13. Reason: spelling
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For the average person Mr.Shoemaker's advice is misleading and dangerous. There is some logic in carrying handgun's because they are easier to keep on your person. But he is doing a disservice by suggesting a .357 or .45 acp. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but some opinions can get you dead.

George Santayana
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Someone needs to explain this to me,especially those saying the 45 acp can't kill game at close range....

Everyone here has heard of the Linebaugh penetration test,I assume....Okay,part was done in wet paper as was the test on the 45 acp.....So here are the results of one,a so-called big boomer(.480 Ruger) versus the lowly 45 acp,that some think is a paper weight for killing bears.....

.480 Ruger-325 grain XTP-17" of penetration in wet paper.
45 acp.....230 grain XTP-18" of penetration in wet paper.

.480 Ruger-306 graan LFN-25" of penetration in wet paper.
.480 Ruger-390 grain LFN-31" of penetration in wet paper.
45 acp.....230 grain FP..34" of penetration in wet paper.

Can't be,can it?

Jayco laugh

Page 6 of 14 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

171 members (21, 160user, 1936M71, 44mc, 10Glocks, 19 invisible), 12,114 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,230
Posts18,544,029
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.