Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 63 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 62 63
F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Not many arrow heads in my neck of the woods. Mostly rocks but occasionally you'll find a arrow head. I can't help but think what kind of time went into making these. I guess with no T.V. or computer as a distraction, one would have a lot more time for this sort of thing.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

GB1

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Great looking hardstone artifacts! Seldom find them in southwest Missouri. Northern Missouri & Ill easier found. Where you farming? GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Northern CA.If one goes to the OR,CA border there is a lot more obsidian and arrow head type artifacts.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by Farming
Northern CA.If one goes to the OR,CA border there is a lot more obsidian and arrow head type artifacts.

If you happen to be in the Tulelake area of Nor. Cal, head out to Medicine Lake and check out Glass Mountain and the HUGE obsidian lava flow. It's a little hard to find but once you do, prepare to be amazed, At one point, the road follows the flow and it's easy to access.

Guns are like guitars - you can never have too many.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Farming,

Several of those artifacts look like what is known here as a "Waco Sinker". The ones with the grooves ground around them. Speculation is they were either net sinkers or small bolo weights.
Young son who is a professional archaeologist has one in my Dad's collection and I found one surface surveying a farm east of Elgin Tx.

Still wishing I could post pics. Need to update inherited laptop so it will let me do such things!

Bob

Last edited by kaywoodie; 05/18/13.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one of those long skinney ones with the hole drilled near one end. I think they are called a plummet. I always wondered how they were used. I know several people with point collections but I am the only one around here with one of those. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
Makes sense, all these stones came from fields that are within a couple of miles of a creek with a salmon run. The area is also in a major duck flyway.

Last edited by Farming; 05/18/13.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I let this thread slip for a couple weeks, but I' ve still been out there gettin it. May be some overlap with the white big sandies mixed into this batch. Missed a few insitu pics but are now washed and on the towel, but that was up current to date last week.

Went this week,more stuff

last couple weeks:

large blade-snap base, black pine tree, harpeth river , some kirkage mixed in, polished crinoid fossil, white points from last posting, coral matrix point(lithostrotion-agatized),
drills, a carp point and some busted medley

[Linked Image]

Harpeth River point
[Linked Image]

yesterday: a pink banded pine tree whittled down to a drill- also a game ball and semi translucent lance (both still in the pouch)

[Linked Image]

today; scratch work with rake into some equipment gouges, out pops a couple nice pieces. No, I did not make the break, the patina is intact and amazingly I scratched
up the broken base section. That's a first.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I cannot imagine the eons required for the few native Americans to produce then loose these artifacs.

Jim

"Whensoever the General Government assumes undelegated powers, its acts are unauthoritative, void, and of no force." --Thomas Jefferson

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
When I was in short pants there were the "indian fire pits" long the ridge over looking Mentor Marsh. perfectly round pits excatly spaced , about 50 feet or so. Many artifacts were dug up there. I always searched but only found beer cans and such.
Now? I think it's another line of cheap housing.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wanted to add this with addition to last night's update: an assemblage of 90 days worth of flint flipping, will need to get a larger display case no doubt. The most recent pieces from last few days are not in this pic.

represents a lot of walking, 5-6 hours of non-stop walking on many outings. Just a water bottle and a few mosquitoes for company. No telling how many miles of walking ground covered.

mostly heartbreakers but that's to be expected; it's from ground that has been continually farmed since 1830. It's a wonder everything's not been pulverized yet.

lost lakes, pine trees, bentons, corner notched kirks, big sandys , adena, paleo and early archaic pieces.....etc.....

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
No wonder that the Injuns are all gone.
They lost all their tools!

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Some really nice pieces in there. This is one of my favorite threads.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
get a real hobby

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
haven't been looking for a while, but found another itty-bitty today

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wherever you hunt for artifacts must have been loaded with game at one time. Either that or the Indians did a TON of stump shooting...

Neat find.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm 'growed out' for the time being, corn is 6' tall in all my spots.

Resigned to construction sites for now. I can go dig if'n I want to, but they GD heat index and chiggers have been a mofo lately.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by slumlord
I'm 'growed out' for the time being, corn is 6' tall in all my spots.

Resigned to construction sites for now. I can go dig if'n I want to, but they GD heat index and chiggers have been a mofo lately.

somebody please getthis man his fix of indian artifact crackrocks

he is jonesing bad

laugh

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Man Huntsman, you are one lucky guy! I want to find just 1 of these! Where I live I have never even heard of someone finding one. I will keep looking though. Keep posting up pics so I can live vicariously through your finds! grin

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

This is my idea of an Indian artifact

[Linked Image]

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

Page 16 of 63 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 62 63

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

521 members (270cowboy, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 1badf350, 06hunter59, 264magnum, 51 invisible), 1,705 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,066
Posts18,521,499
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.