Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Going to have a couple of enclosed tower stands built on my farm.

One in a "sendero" i had cut thru a river bottom and another in a clearcut that will get replanted in loblolly pine this winter.

Shots from either will be out to 450 yards.

I met the guy that is going to build them for me saturday to go over the locations - now i need to pick a design. They will be on 16' 6x6 posts that will be concreted into the ground 3-4 feet deep. So call it 12' to the floor.

Thinking 6'x6', enclosed with roof. Plan to put all weather carpet and an old office chair with a good shelf for sand bag out the sides with the longer shots.

Anyone with pictures they can share for ideas?

I just can't get excited about the design or cost of any of the prefab ones available that i have seen.

GB1

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I like the way you think. Sorry I don't have any pictures, since you are already going that far, I think I'd make it 10x10. You may want to stretch out and take a nap....

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I kinda like the 8 sided ones. 4' front and back and the 3 2'ers on the ends. Enough room for me to stretch my legs out and/or turn in the chair. Try to get a porch on it if you can makes getting in and out feel a little safer . JMHO

kinda like these http://ranchkingblinds.com/?portfolio=economy-blinds

I Kill Things......deal with it..
D
dcd Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
PROBLEM WITH LARGE FLOOR PLAN IS YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO SIT IN BLD AT ITS HUNTING LOCATION TO ACCURATELY ESTABLISH WINDOW HEIGHT OFF FLOOR FOR OPTIMUM VIEWING. GOOD SHOOTING!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
For shots out to 450 you'll want some sort of rest, maybe one that folds down so the rest is out of the way most of the time. I hunted out of some 6x8 stands and thought they were way big for one person but then I never laid down. Also, it was set up to sit on stools, this wasn't comfortable but then it was a cheap stool that I carried in. Being able to sit back from the window and still see is a plus.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits. Albert Einstein
IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Check out potbellyblynds.com.Several of the guys and myself had them on our lease.TOTALLY MTCE FREE AND THE SECTIONS WERE EASY TO INSTALL.5 of us had 10 footers and another guy had a 15 footer,IT WAS A BEAR TO LIFT UP.

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I used these, worked great!

I did a 4x8 and it is right at too big for me. You have to sit at the window to see down. It's on 16ft legs and is in thick country.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modpe...0878&pdesc=Double_8_Elevators_4_Pack

Good Luck!

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've built a few for a high fenced operation here in pa. they were 8'x8' with 8'walls, a 4' x 4' porch and a full stair case on the oft side. They had a flat rubber roof and a hip roof with a 2' overhang the whole way around which cut any glare and helped shadow the hunters inside. Windows on three sides and a storm door for the entry on the porch. This was for 2 people, hunter and guide.All of the exterior was done in a forest green stain.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
[quote=AJD
I did a 4x8 and it is right at too big for me. You have to sit at the window to see down. It's on 16ft legs and is in thick country.

Good Luck![/quote]

You certainly can get TOO big. -- to see in more than 1 direction at a time.

I found for ME 42"X42" was big ENUFF for 2, me & my son. YOU and you only can determine the proper height to the BOTTOM of the windows to SHOOT out w/o straining or standing. Your length from BUTT to shoulder will determine the right height FOR YOU.

With 42X42 I could sit in the center and turn 360 w/o moving the chair.

The INSIDE overall height is also individual. I made sure mine were high nuff inside that I could stand UP w/o bending. For me that was 6'.

Build it for your height and Lenght while sitting. Only you can determine those things.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Thanks for the thoughts.

It is a great point about making sure you can see out of all windows at all times - these stands will be located in a place where deer could come from anywhere.

i'm thinking more open air than some of the enclosed designs. Also planning for a solid shelf where i can put a sand bag on the window ledge that gives the long shots.

agree on making sure the sitting and standing heights work for me.

Good stuff

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
S M F -

You're welcome, I learned from mistakes. Glad to share.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like mine 4' square with a swivel boat seat in the center. All sides are the right distance for a rest and I use a 6" deck board for the bottom of the window. That is plenty big for a sandbag if you choose to use one. Works for your coffee cup too. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I like 4'x5' in general, with two swivel office chairs on wheels and carpet on the floor. I hunt quite often with my daughter. We have four or five box stands that are 4'x6' and they are great when I take both my girls. A cut down peice of 1x4 can be laid across the windowsills from front to back, effectively splitting the box stand in half. That will give the shooter on the left side a place to rest and stabilize their right elbow when shooting. Much better than a single-point forend rest on just the windowsill.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I Hunt alone and my swivel boat seat is solid in place. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My uncle does the same thing, bolting the fishing seat pedestal to the floor. I've got a few well-built towers that are just under 4' square. Sitting in the middle on a swivel chair with your rifle butt on the seat between your legs and the barrel pointed up, it's certainly a good setup for getting a shot off quickly when an animal presents itself.

Now with even more aplomb
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jwall
[quote=AJD

Good Luck!

You certainly can get TOO big. -- to see in more than 1 direction at a time.

I found for ME 42"X42" was big ENUFF for 2, me & my son. YOU and you only can determine the proper height to the BOTTOM of the windows to SHOOT out w/o straining or standing. Your length from BUTT to shoulder will determine the right height FOR YOU.

With 42X42 I could sit in the center and turn 360 w/o moving the chair.

The INSIDE overall height is also individual. I made sure mine were high nuff inside that I could stand UP w/o bending. For me that was 6'.

Build it for your height and Lenght while sitting. Only you can determine those things. [/quote]

You are correct, mine works great for 2 people, not as much for 1. Works but could be better. I built it with lumber from a local yard. Walls are about 4'-0 all the way around, then a header above with lots of jacks to use for steadying a rifle. Works, but could have been better. I hung camo burlap for window cover and a tarp for a roof off a high ridge center beam.

The thing I do like about it I can get up and move about. For me it makes staying in it easier.

First time it was used, my Nephew took his first deer from it on his first hunt. So it�s ok with me.
Simple, not so expensive, but functional. Next one I do will be smaller.

Last edited by AJD; 06/11/13.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This is our all nighter. 6'x6' on platform and sides constructed on pressure treated lumber.Inside has a touch of home. I understand these blinds are not for everyone, but the big boys don't stick around when you have to cross over 600 yards of hay and food plots before dawn.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The shooting lane windows have notched 2x4s that slide into the brackets for the shooting rest.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
shocked shocked

That's NOT deer stand, that's a CONDOMINIUM grin grin

Do you have ROOM SERVICE?? laugh laugh

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by AJD

Next one I do will be smaller.

That's a NOTABLE quote.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I'm starting an 8x8x8 this weekend.
Not worried about it being too big because I can only look down two pine tree shooting lanes. The lease i'm in has every other row of pines cut out.
The reason i'm going 8x8 is so I don't have to cut lumber -just use it the way I buy it.
I plan on taking pictures of the process -i'll post them if I can later on.

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

122 members (2UP, 470Evans, 44mc, 375TN, 35, 21, 16 invisible), 1,560 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,956
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.