Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
sns2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Well, as some of you may have read, I have been seeking opinions on cartridges for a new rifle. Now I am going to ask for some opinions on a new rifle. My budget is around 2K, and I want to get a gun that would qualify as one I would experience a great deal of pride of ownership in when I go afield, and maybe more importantly, a gun that my son would treasure when the Good Lord decides my time here is up. I have narrowed the search down to Sako 85 Bavarian, Cooper Jackson Game, and maybe a Weatherby Mark V. The cartridge would be somewhere between a .257 Wby and a 30-06 (based on the gun I decide on and availability).

Please give me your thoughts on which of the above you would want and why. If you want to list them in order, that would be even better.

I have had the opportunity to handle the Sako and Weatherby, but not the Cooper (though that is the one I am most intrigued with). I asked the boss if she'd mind me driving three hours away to visit a gun store (that carries Coopers), but she thought I was beyond help. Did I mention I haven't told her I am getting another gun?

Anyhow, I eagerly look forward to any and all informed opinions that you may be able to offer.

HR IC

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Look towards a Merkel or Blaser in a useful and popular cartridge, something classic and timeless.

Not a huge fan of either of your current choices, though I haven't owned any. Personal preference I suppose.

I'd say the caliber and general intended function of the rifle will help determine if it is bequeath-able.

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
An old Sako. They'll only get more valuable as time goes on. I just bought my first (Forester) and so far, so good. Scoped with a 2-7X33, and steel Leupold rings it goes 7 1/4lbs. Ergos are great. Accuracy and durability remain to be seen.

Not a real big fan of Cooper rifles.

Weatherby?? Let's not be silly. You want your child to love you, not despise you.

Travis

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Sako. They only get better with time.

I always wanted a cooper until Dan Cooper donated to Obama. I know Dan is not suppose to be with the company any more but I have a hard time buying he does not have his finger in the business somehow or receiving payment from them somehow. So [bleep] them.

Weatherby rifles I just don't like for no really good reason.

Dink

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Of your list, I would pick the Cooper. They are all nice guns but a Mark 5 doesn't hold the prestige it once did and I don't like the 85 Sako Bavarian. The stock on the Bavarian is designed for open sights and it handicaps proper scope position.

My advice would be to buy a nice older Sako which were made better for around $1200 and a very nice scope or just get the Cooper.

I bought this very nice L579 Deluxe made in 1968 for $900 and the Zeiss Diavari on it for $300.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

IC B2

S
sns2 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by DINK
Sako. They only get better with time.

I always wanted a cooper until Dan Cooper donated to Obama. I know Dan is not suppose to be with the company any more but I have a hard time buying he does not have his finger in the business somehow or receiving payment from them somehow. So [bleep] them.

Weatherby rifles I just don't like for no really good reason.

Dink

Respectfully, I couldn't give a rat's ass about Obama as I live in Canada. And I don't say that to be a jerk, but I have lived my life in a country that takes for granted, and couldn't imagine changing, many of the things that Obama wants to bring about. Having said that, I would have voted for Romney if I lived in your country. And while I certainly respect your Founding Fathers' inclusion of the 2nd Amendment, I also respect citizens' rights to freedom of speech and political affiliation. My guess is you patronize businesses with your cash whose CEOs gave a whole lot more cash to Obama than Dan Cooper ever did. I don't care about that stuff - it's peripheral to me - I just care about good guns.

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Instead of a new rifle, I'd look for some of the old classics.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dan Cooper has been out of Cooper Arms for several years now. Owned by Wilson Firearms and are really fine guns if they are what you want.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
R H,

That is a nice Deluxe you have there.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Thanks Travis.
I'm very proud of it and show it off every chance I get. I just bought it last year. I bought it from a friend who said it had likely never been shot. He was a friend of the original owner who was just a collector and had bought it new in Germany in 1968.

I have only shot about 10 rounds through it and this is the only 100 yard group I have ever shot with it after sighting in.
[Linked Image]

I hope to get a deer with it this fall. Only thing is that it's so nice I usually take my Sako Finnlight instead.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A Mannlicher Schoenauer perhaps?

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
sns2, I own both a Sako and Cooper. I really enjoy both. The Cooper is the most accurate rifle I have ever owned, But I think the Sako meets your criteria. If new, I would choose the Cooper but the older Sako's (pre-Garcia) are a wonderful investment and potential heirloom.

Randy

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A nice Sako like R H mentioned would be a keeper!
I have a Cooper and several Weatherby's...nice rifles but it is tough to beat a good ol Sako.

Turn me loose, set me free, somewhere in the middle of Montana!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I hope to get a deer with it this fall. Only thing is that it's so nice I usually take my Sako Finnlight instead.

If you get tired of it, I could scrounge up the $1,200.00 you have invested. I wouldn't want you to lose money on the deal.

I have a Riihimaki coming soon...

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it was a stick that my great granddad killed snakes with, I'd hold it in high esteem. Price does not an heirloom make. Take any implement along, but above all share some time.

Last edited by 1minute; 06/28/13.

1Minute
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by deflave

If you get tired of it, I could scrounge up the $1,200.00 you have invested. I wouldn't want you to lose money on the deal.

I have a Riihimaki coming soon...

Travis

I appreciate you looking out for me. You are going to love that Riihimaki. I only own 2 Sako rifles but I want more.

Some day I'm going to buy a beat up L579 in 308, cerakote it and drop it in an Edge.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Some day I'm going to buy a beat up L579 in 308, cerakote it and drop it in an Edge.

sns2,

Add this idea to your list... grin

Travis

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A nice Sako would be my choice too........

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 1minute
If it was a stick that my great granddad killed snakes with, I'd hold it in high esteem. Price does not an heirloom make. Take any implement along, but above all share some time.

Good advice this.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I love my Cooper! It has the prettiest wood, and is super accurate. But I have two Sako's. One is custom, the other is stock off the shelf. The older actions are the smoothest you will ever work. Find an older Sako in really good shape, and call it good.

Good luck, good hunting, and good times.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 270cowboy, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 2,551 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,332
Posts18,487,602
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.