Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I'm thinking of letting go of my No.1v to help fund a truck purchase. What are clean examples of these rifles selling for in your neck of the woods?

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not an expert but guessing it will depend somewhat on cartridge it's chambered for.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
and wood quality, too.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Rarely see any #1 for less than $750
caliber and wood grain are important as well as condition

I am one gun away from happy
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I've never sold a No.1 for less than $900,as said,caliber,wood,fired or unfired,box and papers and age are the deciding factors.If you have wood like this it makes a big difference

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 62413x2; 06/29/13.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hairtrigger
Rarely see any #1 for less than $750
caliber and wood grain are important as well as condition
Every time these "queries" get posted, these responses based on an OBVIOUSLY LIMITED number of anecdotal observations get posted.

Internet prices are internet prices and don't necessarily reflect an overall trend in anything. The same goes for local yokel pricing. The No. 1 has never sold particularly well here in Oklahoma. Only a handful of shops have ever carried them and the ones that did only offered an even more limited number of chamberings and variations. Consequently, the dumb inbred mouth-breathers here have convinced themselves that ANY No. 1 -- regardless of chambering or configuration -- is "RARE" and "HARD TO FIND" and, therefore, worth $1K and above. This trend goes back several years and sure as hell never reflected an accurate trend in overall No. 1 sales.

Even the "internets" has its anomalies. There was a 1B in .22-250 that kept going through the Gunbroker auctions for $600 until it sold about six months ago in spite of the various self-appointed "pricing authorities" claiming No. 1s didn't sell that low. (And for the wood whores, it was average. Not plain, but average.)

The facts are these: ALL GUN PRICES ARE SLIGHTLY INFLATED BECAUSE OF THE CURRENTLY MANUFACTURED "PANIC." A lot of people are asking $750 and more for common chamberings and variations -- and even slightly above average wood figure -- BUT THEY AIN'T GETTING IT.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Would that bottom #1 be a 7X57 1S NIB w/a 130xxx ser # ?
If so , I owned it when it was young .
Hard to forget a pretty face such as that.

"Only Accurate Rifles are Interesting" (Colonel Townsend Whelen)
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I�ve paid anywhere from $500 to $3200 for No. 1�s.

As noted above, �rarity�, wood figure, box and associated paperwork, rings (on the early guns for vertical split rings) will help dictate a couple hundred dollar difference in selling price on the internet.

Sadly, you are talking about selling when tactical rifles are just now becoming available and are selling strong, where-as the No. 1�s that are getting bids AND selling are the oddball rechambered rifles, the stainless laminated and the big-bore No. 1�s.

If you noted, I said �and selling�. There�s a big difference between selling and asking price on GB. You should do a quick search on GB for No. 1V�s and see what the actual selling price is on closed auctions.

Internet sales are completely different than LGS. My local gun shop gets No. 1�s in occasionally and I�ll swing by week after week watching these rifles go down in price until either someone snags them out from under me, or I can�t handle it anymore and buying it (only to sell it on the internet later). They are not hot sellers locally, so given the right timing one can get into a No. 1 fairly cheap. The last one was purchased or just over 5 bills. I picked up a older red pad 25-06 with fence post furnature with a Unertl scope on it for $1100.00. That scope alone to the right buyer would go for 5 to 6 hundred, but nobody wanted the dang thing the way it sat.

On the flip side, I've got a RSI .270 red pad that's got a couple unsightly marks on the buttstock that has been for sale for $800 w/o scope or $900 with a M8 4X leupold that isn't even getting a second look from people. I'm only asking what I paid for it, but it's too much for the current market and I know it. I'm in no rush, so I'll just sit on it and hope that some starts searching for one.

Your question, although valid, lacks in details about your rifle (serial number, chambering, box, and lastly pictures)�. There are some early No. 1v�s that folks are indeed looking for, but beings that there isn�t a lack of No. 1V�s on the internet for sale in the common calibers, the only way you�ll stand a chance of gaining any traction on selling price is wood quality.

Remember, the No. 1V has been chambered since the early years.. So there isn�t a lacking of V�s out there in the market. Yours will have to be rather special in some way to get any more than $700 to 750 on the internet (without scope) and I�d be surprised if a LGS offered you any more than $400 to $500..

I�m not being hard, I�m just being honest for what I�ve seen over the past year or so.

Last edited by 1885boomstick; 07/03/13.
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just for the record, over the past 5-6 months I have sold several Ruger #1s that I was not using -- including a 204 1B, a BOB 1B, a 405 Winchester #1, a 375 H&H SS/laminate, a 7mmRM 1B, a 7mm 08 1AH, and a 7x57 1AB. All were used -- not NIB but not abused either -- and the prices they sold for ranged from a low @ $700 to over $1000 with the average price @ $750-800.

I do not recall any sign of panic buying of these #1s beyond a general belief that Ruger was not likely to ever make any more of them. Guys who buy #1s are usually not those preparing for air drops of guvmint zombie invaders with black parachutes.

1B

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The most I've paid for a #1 is $1395, for my Cabelas .30-40. It has some of the best Circassian wood I've seen, and wouldn't be out of place on a Purdey. So the rifle has wood, and moderate rarity going for it, plus an interesting useful caliber - and it has taken a good whitetail already.

I think the next most expensive was my .45-70, a black pad, with excellent walnut, good figure on both sides. I think it was $950 or so. It shoots very well.

I bought a four digit .222 a few years ago, paid $900, sold it for $1200. Really frosted the gunshop manager where I got it, as he was big on charging as much as he could for everything "collectible" grin

It would be interesting to work with some of the really rare Rugers, like a .22 PPC or a .38-55, but they wouldn't be useful enough to me to pay the current premiums - and all mine go shooting, none are safe queens. I try to only buy ones with good wood, too.

A black pad .270 Roy is on my wish list, as is a .218 Bee. Maybe a .450 Nitro as well, if it had good wood smile

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I paid $700 a couple of months ago for a #1B in 270 Win, with a 4X Leupold on it. They run $700 - $850 out here in California.

[Linked Image]

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
You stole it! Congratulations!
The point is, many Sellers are not knowledgeable; they know what they have in the rifle, and depending on how many years ago the rifle was acquired, this Seller may have thought he did quite well. And then there are Sellers in a bind and really need to sell now for the cash. At least on this one side, you did quite well on the wood quality.
Common No.1's generally sell for what you say($700-$850)generally with cheap scopes. The scarcer caliber/configurations can be more; a lot more!

El Numero Uno
a Serious Collector of the Ruger No.1 rifle;
a Modern Classic Sporting Arm
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
If you get more than 500-600 retail(not necessarily real, hard money) in a No.1, I hope you keep it a while. On the other hand, if you never sell, then the price probably is ok if you can stand it.

Resellers always know their one way inflated market. Always looking for a score with the new guys.

Trade in around here is about 350, so a bit hard to give retail pricing or above for rarieties or not.

The No.1 action can be made into anything you want with simplistic ease; one of its endearing traits.

Just one opinion among the many here.

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Trade-in prices are nearly irrelevant to market value. Resale prices by the shop are more telling. Add the shop owner's overhead costs and his profit margin into the scheme.

Some shops do under price used guns to lure in potential trade on higher end NIB guns and other wares but they rarely give breaks on those items.

1B

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
My No.1V is in 6mm Remington. It's a black pad, with subdued wood grain - nice, but not flashy. With the Nikon Monarch scope and extended rings, I think I paid $850 for it about 5 years back. If you want to pry it out of my hands I'd consider $800 for it, but I'm keeping the scope.

[Linked Image]

Kaiser Norton

Last edited by Kaiser Norton; 07/06/13.

The Kaiser- "If it ain't broke, I can fix that!"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
This .243 RSI (without the scope) was worth $900 to me two weeks ago. I had to outbid another potential buyer.

[Linked Image]

I figure I can play with it for a few months or years and then sell it to the next custodian for at least $800. If the market is good when I go to sell I figure I will probably break even.

Last edited by Bushmaster1313; 07/09/13.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This New in Box AH is worth about $1300 to me.
That 243 RSI is on my short list... I'd love to have one now.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
2001 #1 .223 $425 + sales tax ...gun store
2004 #1 7mmRM $450... gunshow
2007 #1V .223 $499 + shipping + sales tax ...on line auction
2007 #1 270 $600.... gunshow

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Happy
Campfire Tracker
P
I have noticed that when I am looking to buy a No. 1 they are at the inflated prices others have mentioned, but when I am selling one is when people will only buy them at 1/2 retail price.

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Depends on where I find them. When a No. 1 guy is selling it...Usually the price is a bit more. I found a sweet No. 1 in Germany a few years ago and bought it for a song. Now that I'm back I know that I couldn't replace it for double what I bought it for. My 270 Roy 1B cost me $525 new back in 1994...Now that one is a rare bird and I can imagine that it would go for a few more $$$ today.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

603 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,118 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,038
Posts18,481,979
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.