Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Now THAT is a great solution to bullet failure!

Terry

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
No bullet works 100% one hundred percent of the time.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70

Now that's a Drank statement if ever there was one. Bovine Scatoria for sure.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Maybe yours don't, but in 35 years and a LOT of dead animals, I have never had a cast 520 grain Govt. bullet out of a 45 caliber Sharps do anything but give complete pass through penetration in a straight line. I have never had one tumble or blow up or otherwise fail in any way.

I'm just saying that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by AlabamaEd
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70

Now that's a Drank statement if ever there was one. Bovine Scatoria for sure.

Just out of curiosity, how many safaris have you been on and when did you complete the Big Five? Please tell us the extent of your african dangerous game experience so we can evaluate whether you were describing cow scat or cape buffalo scat?

IC B2

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by sharpsguy
Maybe yours don't, but in 35 years and a LOT of dead animals, I have never had a cast 520 grain Govt. bullet out of a 45 caliber Sharps do anything but give complete pass through penetration in a straight line. I have never had one tumble or blow up or otherwise fail in any way.

I'm just saying that there is more than one way to skin a cat.

Did that bullet work well on lion, leopard, cape buff, elephant and rhino? Please tell us whether you have brain shot elephant with it (frontal brain shot) or was it a heart-lung shot on your elephant? Did the bullet perform well on rhino? Did the lion drop at the shot or was there a follow up involved?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sharpsguy sure flattened a Zebra (among other things) http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Fqs543qxTHE

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
While I have been on three safaris, I have never hunted dangerous game. A matter of money. However, a friend of mine used that cast round nosed bullet to shoot a cape buffalo with his 458 Win Mag. I loaded the ammo, and at 1350 fps velocity, the bullet blew through both shoulders and exited from 50 yards.

I have shot through and through both black and blue wildebeast, and shot through one black wildebeast from into his left rear ham to out his brisket. Lengthwise through about six feet of wildebeast. I have shot through and through two zebra and not recovered a bullet.

The rifle and load shoots all the way through elk and bison. The last bison I took weighed over 2000 pounds and the bullet exited through the off side shoulder. The animal dropped at the shot. The next day an acquaintance of mine shot another bison similar to mine with a 505 Gibbs, and did NOT get complete pass through penetration. That bison went over 400 yards before going down. If I can shoot through bison--and I have done it with six of them--I hardly see how it will be a problem to shoot through a lion. FWIW, my PH wanted me to go for cape buffalo and elephant with the Sharps, but I simply couldn't afford it. I am trying to put together a trip for cape buffalo right now, and I don't think I will be under gunned with the Sharps and cast lead bullets. After all, Selous used cast bullets to good effect.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Winchestermodel70, I see you're trying to equate a certain amount of experience with being an expert. I have no idea what your level of experience is, but I do know that after guiding loads of hunters over the past 10-11 years, many of the so called expert and experienced hunters we've had in camp are actually idiots who actually know about 25% of what they're talking about.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Mule Deer earlier in this thread spoke of on processing the carcas of checking to see what damage or story can be told. Just looking at a bullet may not tell the story.

[Linked Image]
The two 375 Hornady solids were recovered from a kudu. The first shot was from the rear. It did not exit and I didn't see that as an issue as it had to travel a bit. The second shot was when he tried to regain his footing when I approached and it went into the neck area in front of the shoulder. I was surprised it did not exit and had asked the skinner if he could find the bullets. He gave me these two bullets and it confused me why one on the left bent.
I asked the skinner where he found them and he places them in my hand like this
[Linked Image]
Sometimes strange things happen

Last edited by blaser_guy; 07/19/13.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now that is a group to smile about!

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I'm frankly surprised that the 375 WITH SOLIDS didn't shoot all the way through the kudu, regardless of the angle.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
[quote][/quote]
While I have been on three safaris, I have never hunted dangerous game. A matter of money. However, a friend of mine used that cast round nosed bullet to shoot a cape buffalo with his 458 Win Mag. I loaded the ammo, and at 1350 fps velocity, the bullet blew through both shoulders and exited from 50 yards.

I have shot through and through both black and blue wildebeast, and shot through one black wildebeast from into his left rear ham to out his brisket. Lengthwise through about six feet of wildebeast. I have shot through and through two zebra and not recovered a bullet.

The rifle and load shoots all the way through elk and bison. The last bison I took weighed over 2000 pounds and the bullet exited through the off side shoulder. The animal dropped at the shot. The next day an acquaintance of mine shot another bison similar to mine with a 505 Gibbs, and did NOT get complete pass through penetration. That bison went over 400 yards before going down. If I can shoot through bison--and I have done it with six of them--I hardly see how it will be a problem to shoot through a lion. FWIW, my PH wanted me to go for cape buffalo and elephant with the Sharps, but I simply couldn't afford it. I am trying to put together a trip for cape buffalo right now, and I don't think I will be under gunned with the Sharps and cast lead bullets. After all, Selous used cast bullets to good effect.

1. Why would anyone want to use a cast bullet out of a .458 Win @ 1,350 fps on Cape Buffalo?

2. It is spelled Wildebeest, not Wildebeast.

3. I don't think you understand lion hunting. When lion hunting, on the first shot, assuming Panthera Leo is taken by surprise, you want a frangible bullet like a Partition at moderate velocity (<2,600 fps) to impart hydrostatic shock and shut down his nervous system. Your Sharps may, however, work well on a frontal shot in the event of a charge. Dunno. Try it and let us know.

4. Yes, you are correct. the .505 Gibbs is a weak cartridge suitable only for the smaller antelope. God forbid that anyone try to hunt dangerous game with one. Feel better now?

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Winchestermodel70, I see you're trying to equate a certain amount of experience with being an expert. I have no idea what your level of experience is, but I do know that after guiding loads of hunters over the past 10-11 years, many of the so called expert and experienced hunters we've had in camp are actually idiots who actually know about 25% of what they're talking about.

I don't claim to be an "expert". But I have done more than kill a wildebeest and a zebra over the course of multiple safaris.

Well over 150 head of african game, encompassing a myriad of different species. The Big Five Award. African Hunter of the Year Award. A Boy Scout Merit badge when I was 14. You?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
1. Because it will shoot all the way through him, collapse his lungs, and kill him graveyard dead. Actually, my friend was interested in verifying the performance of the bullet. He had 2 Noslers down in the magazine, and didn't need them. The PH didn't need his 460 Weatherby, either.

2. Spell it anyway you want.

3. The lion won't go anywhere with a 500 grain cast bullet through his shoulders. Trust me.

4. BS.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Winchester Model 70--Tell you what. If you want to spend some of that money that you apparently have plenty of to further your shooting education, do this. Spring for a DG Safari for both of us, and you can see the Sharps work with heavy cast bullets on the big boys. I'm in for my plane fare, you pick up the rest. Think about it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not jumping into this ruckus, but was the bullet in the 505 a soft or a solid?

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It was a soft.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Winchester Model 70--Tell you what. If you want to spend some of that money that you apparently have plenty of to further your shooting education, do this. Spring for a DG Safari for both of us, and you can see the Sharps work with heavy cast bullets on the big boys. I'm in for my plane fare, you pick up the rest. Think about it.

If you are a tall, slender pretty woman with long, honey color hair and green eyes, not much over the age of 25, we may be able to work something out. If not, I'm afraid you'll have to pay for your own DG safari....

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Just my luck--

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

334 members (12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12savage, 1beaver_shooter, 50 invisible), 1,834 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,036
Members74,024
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.