Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
UPS, Fed Ex or USPS? Thanks.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I get far fewer questions and hassles when I use FedEx. USPS isn't bad, but occasionally you will get some dumb ass who asks too many questions and get the runaround. UPS store in my area just won't ship them at all.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
In terms of what? security? damage prevention? cost? time?
What is your primary concern.
f its cost then breaking the rifle down into stock and action and shipping USPS priority in one of those triangle blueprint tubes is cheapest.
A hard case and FED EX EXPRESS overnight Air would reduce the damage risk but cost big bucks.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Last one came USPS. No damage.

Make it registered and insured.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
G
GSP814 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Sorry, I need to be more specific. I'm shipping a Ruger 1B with nice wood in original box put inside a Remington box. Looking for hassle free, good package handling at a reasonable price. I asked the USPS woman about shipping a rifle and she said "you need a special transport license"!

IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Shes a stupid Min wage employee who knows jack [bleep]. Get a plain outer box with no gun reference on it. package the rifle to minimize any movement and take it to the USPS and ship it priority labeled. Tracking is free. insure it for what you need to.
Put the dealers name on the address, not the name of the shop. that will reduce intrusion better than "JOE BOBS GUNS AND CHIT" in the address.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Last one I shipped, I took over to my FFL dealer. He packed it, shipped it, handled the paperwork, and charged me $20.
To me, that is the best way to ship.

Sam......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GSP814
Sorry, I need to be more specific. I'm shipping a Ruger 1B with nice wood in original box put inside a Remington box. Looking for hassle free, good package handling at a reasonable price. I asked the USPS woman about shipping a rifle and she said "you need a special transport license"!

Ask for the supervisor or Station manager. Look at USPS reg 432.1 and DMM 601. YOU DON'T need no stinking special license.

Last edited by krupp; 07/29/13.

Whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use FedEx because it is closer to my home

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have had one rifle lost with UPS that I sold to a member here, huge hassle. Other than that, I have always shipped USPS and never had a single problem. The USPS folks here are gun-friendly and one guy is always asking what I am shipping since he is a gun guy.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

See my response above again about dumb asses you get sometimes at the USPS....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
Last one I shipped, I took over to my FFL dealer. He packed it, shipped it, handled the paperwork, and charged me $20.
To me, that is the best way to ship.
When was this, 1960? It'll cost closer to $40 to ship a 10-pound 48"x8"x4" package with $1K insurance and it's been closer to that cost for a hell of a long time.

Poor advice on your part, but I'm not surprised.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by ringworm
then breaking the rifle down into stock and action and shipping USPS priority in one of those triangle blueprint tubes is cheapest.

If you are referring to one of the triangle tubes provided by the post office, it specifically says in the regulations (and maybe on the packaging itself) that they are intended for blueprints or such. I don't know if they would honor an insurance claim for damage. I agree with breaking it down but I would use a much more substantial package. Just food for thought.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've shipped a bunch via the USPS...handguns and long guns...and have never had a problem at all. I ship them all by Priority Mail and insure every shipment. I don't offer any information on what it is that I'm shipping. I just ship it. No problems. Ever.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
USPS is the most cost-effective means available.

USPS Priority Mail 2-Day for an 11-pound package measuring 48"x4"x8" with $1K insurance from New Jersey to Dallas, Texas is $39.13 if purchased online and $43.35 if purchased in person. Delivery is two business days.

Federal Express Ground is $22.95 and delivery is 3-4 business days. Federal Express Saver is $51.81 and delivery is guaranteed in three business days.

UPS Ground is 29.94 and delivery is 3-4 business days.

You stated the Ruger box is being placed within a Remington box: DO NOT HAVE ANY MARKINGS PRESENT ON THE EXTERIOR OF THE BOX INDICATING A FIREARM IS BEING SHIPPED.

G
GSP814 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
Bricktop--thank you, your information has been most helpful. I have already taped over all of the Remington info. When you ship UPS or Fed Ex do you tell them it's a firearm or machine parts?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1. Take a copy of the FFL with you that it is being shipped to. They might ask. No matter who it is!

2. All UPS "stores" are forbidden by UPS from accepting firearms for shipment. You have to go the main UPS office. If you have the FFL, no hassles is the normal rule.

3. USPS, again take the FFL and normally no hassle shipping a long arm. they will not ship handguns.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BountyHunter
1. Take a copy of the FFL with you that it is being shipped to. They might ask. No matter who it is!

2. All UPS "stores" are forbidden by UPS from accepting firearms for shipment. You have to go the main UPS office. If you have the FFL, no hassles is the normal rule.

3. USPS, again take the FFL and normally no hassle shipping a long arm. they will not ship handguns.
WRONG!!!!!!!!!

DISREGARD EVERY SINGLE BIT OF THIS "INFORMATION." IT'S ALL COMPLETE HORSESHIT.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bricktop--thank you, your information has been most helpful. I have already taped over all of the Remington info. When you ship UPS or Fed Ex do you tell them it's a firearm or machine parts?
Nope. You aren't required to tell them squat. Federal law only requires a common or contract carrier to be notified if the recipient is NOT a federal firearms licensee.

"� 478.31 Delivery by common or contract carrier.

(a)
No person shall knowingly deliver or cause to be delivered to any common or contract carrier for transportation or shipment in interstate or foreign commerce to any person other than a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector, any package or other container in which there is any firearm or ammunition without written notice to the carrier that such firearm or ammunition is being transported or shipped: Provided, that any passenger who owns or legally possesses a firearm or ammunition being transported aboard any common or contract carrier for movement with the passenger in interstate or foreign commerce may deliver said firearm or ammunition into the custody of the pilot, captain, conductor or operator of such common or contract carrier for the duration of that trip without violating any provision of this part.

(b) No common or contract carrier shall require or cause any label, tag, or other written notice to be placed on the outside of any package, luggage, or other container indicating that such package, luggage, or other container contains a firearm."

Simply stated, it says this:

'It shall be unlawful for any person knowingly to deliver or cause to be delivered...to persons other than...licensed dealers...any package...in which there is any firearm...without written notice to the carrier that such firearm...is being...shipped...'"

And the USPS' DMM:

The United States Postal Service (USPS) will accept long guns from unlicensed persons and handguns from federal firearms licensees:

"11.3 Rifles and Shotguns

Although unloaded rifles and shotguns not precluded by 11.1.1e and 11.1.2 are mailable, mailers must comply with the Gun Control Act of 1968, Public Law 90-618, 18 USC 921, et seq., and the rules and regulations promulgated thereunder, 27 CFR 178, as well as state and local laws. The mailer may be required by the USPS to establish, by opening the parcel or by written certification, that the gun is unloaded and not precluded by 11.1.1e

11.4 Legal Opinions on Mailing Firearms

Postmasters are not authorized to give opinions on the legality of any shipment of rifles or shotguns. Contact the nearest office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms for further advice."

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
OT, but...

Originally Posted by ringworm
Shes a stupid Min wage employee...

USPS employees are definitely not minimum wage employees. That's part of USPS's problem.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

307 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 1moredeer, 1badf350, 264mag, 17CalFan, 28 invisible), 1,341 guests, and 1,016 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,981
Posts18,519,963
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.