-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
looking for a scope to go on a new savage 6.5x284. Read alot of good things about the vortex brand. But couldnt find much about low light performance. Been shooting ziess conquests. Looking at a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP. How does this compare to a 3.5-10x50 conquest rapid z-800? Looking for a long range ( 5-600 yds) hunting scope.

Or should I just stick with what works and get a Zeiss Conquest HD5 5-25x50 with rapid z?

thanks.

Dave

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I just got the Viper HST 4-16x44 and am mounting it right now on a 700 in 300WM. So far it looks very good. The glass is exceptionally clear. Will have to wait a bit to see how well it performs.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Have been wondering the same thing. Been looking at both the Diamondback and Viper HS series.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have been using four Vortex scopes for the last year or so. The Diamondback series is tough so far and has been very exact in tracking.

A Crossfire II 3-9x40 with the illuminated reticle has been my son's favorite on an AR. It has seen some rounds run through it!

A Viper 3-9x40 has been on several rifles and so far has been perfect in every way.

The real sleeper to me though has been the Viper PST 1-4x24 with the TMCQ illuminated reticle. It has been used on an AR for quite a bit, but has been on a 375AI for two Kodiak bear hunts and killed twice. On the first it was a bad scene following a huge bear into tight cover. I really like the reticle more every time I use it.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Just put a 4-16x44 HS-LR on my 6.5x55 Tikka...have only sighted it in...haven't played with the turrets yet...the exposed elevation turret is the same (or very similar) to the PST tower..only the clicks are 1/2" opposed to 1/4" The windage turret is capped with 1/4" clicks...elevation is 75" of travel...reticle is the Deadhold BDC..also upgraded another scope on my 20 Practical...my third PST..although this one is only the 4-16x50 SFP...the PST series are great optics...very repeatable clicks...30mm tubes...lots of travel...although I do use the PST's on p/dog rigs...light gathering is not a issue...picked up these last two Vortex scopes on Doug's 10% off while he was away sale..The HS-T would also be a great choice...but were not available later this summer..Give Vortex a call..they are more than helpful...along with their VIP warranty..I like 'em...did my own side x side comparison with my 6500 Elite 4-30x50 Tact vs PST 6-24x50..my eyes said the PST was clearer and more repeatable than the 6500..less $$$ too...

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The pst 6-24 has much better glass than the HS or the 4-16 pst. I'm running 3 of the midway special 5-15 mil/mil HS scopes and I love the features but I wish the glass was better and the eyebox more forgiving. My weaver grand slams have noticeably better glass.

I'd love for someone to make a 30mil tubed mil/mil in the 4-16 range that had good glass, forgiving eyebox, repeatable clicks with pleanty of adjustment range, that weighs less than 18 ounces and costs less than $800. That's not too much to ask is it? The HS series with better glass would be close.

Bb

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Keep in mind that while I have been using the 1-6x Razer and it is working great for a bit over 3k rounds, my buddy and I have had 3 Vortex Razers go down.

An interesting thread below-

http://forum.snipershide.com/sniper...hy-vortex-will-continue-sell-scopes.html

A thread about how awesome Vortex is, however out of 26 posts (so far) 6 of those have had problems with their optics. There is an interesting phenomenon with Vortex: they have quite possibly the highest reported failure/problem rate of any mid/high level scope, and yet all people do is rave about their customer service.....

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
yeah, Formidilous. Thats what makes me weary of them. Seems a reoccurring theme among the vortex scopes.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

A thread about how awesome Vortex is, however out of 26 posts (so far) 6 of those have had problems with their optics. There is an interesting phenomenon with Vortex: they have quite possibly the highest reported failure/problem rate of any mid/high level scope, and yet all people do is rave about their customer service.....

Sounds familiar. Like bragging about how fast your dealer repairs a transmission that keeps blowing on a new truck.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I did have an internal lens near the eyepiece of a Diamondback scope loosen up and rattle on me. This was a used scope that I purchased from an online dealer. Naturally it was fixed by Vortex quickly. I like the scope but if it happens again the scope will be repaired and then sold.

I also had a 2-7 Viper that worked perfectly that I just couldn't seem to like no matter how hard I tried. Just didn't care for the sight picture and field of view. Beautiful glass though. Hopefully the fella that bought it from me appreciates it more than I did.

Dan

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
looks like I'll stick with Zeiss then.

Dave

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
My suggestion would be to dial for range and forget the Rapid Z.....

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
The suggested SWFA scopes are probably good. I favor the Weaver Tacticals/Super Slams of the same basic spec.

Only Vortex I have field experience with was utterly useless for spotlighting coyotes. Even the Tasco Varmint scope wasn't _useless_. I believe that Vortex was a Crossfire, but idk for sure. That's a super-small experience, but it makes it tough to want to buy a Vortex, regardless of how good they are as a company (I've talked to them about some things, and they ARE great).

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Crossfire II 3-9x40 with the V-Brite reticle seems to work quite well for that purpose... My son replaced a Leupold 3.5-10 for it and did not look back...

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by MZ5
The suggested SWFA scopes are probably good. I favor the Weaver Tacticals/Super Slams of the same basic spec.

While the Weaver Tactical is functional, they share nothing in common with the SWFA SS scopes.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Formidilous - dial for range - as in custom turrets?
dave

Dave

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dantheman

I also had a 2-7 Viper that worked perfectly that I just couldn't seem to like no matter how hard I tried. Just didn't care for the sight picture and field of view.

2-7x32 right? I had the same scope. I just couldn't get comfortable with the sight picture either. It seemed tunnel vision'ish and I swear the 2x was negative magnification. The FOV was actually less than the cheap Bushnell 3x9 I have on my 22. On down the road it went.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

X2. Great reticle, great turrets.
Fit in Talley lows.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

67 members (35, 308ld, 808outdoors, AdventureBound, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, 4 invisible), 1,122 guests, and 767 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,868
Posts18,478,686
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.