Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Hmm. I do know the Rem and the DPMS use interchangeable uppers. The holes on the S&W upper were in the same place and looked like the same size. I may wait a while longer to see what washes out.

GB1

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Here's some of my notes on DPMS and Smith interchanges with another Fire member: I picked an MP-10 up earlier this year, I really LIKE the rifle, as it has an ambi safety, mag release, and bolt release from the start. It�s also a bit lighter than the DPMS rifles, and has an 18 inch barrel.

Couple of points on the Smith, it is NOT DPMS compatible. The upper pin lugs are longer on the Smith than the DPMS rifles. The Smith upper WILL NOT close on a DPMS lower without some fitting, I believe the rear lug is wider to prevent the installation. I don't know what the gap would be between upper and lower, we didn't go that far once the rear lug clearance was identified.

A DPMS upper would close on the Smith lower to about 30 degrees, maybe a bit less, and then you could feel the metal-on-metal bind of the shorter DMPS lug against the Smith lower. The upper would not close any further without forcing it.

The SW factory furniture is utility grade, and nothing more. I made a swap to the Magpul in OD Green. The MOE grip does not fit the back of the Smith receiver, I had to go with a MAD grip to close the gap.

I'd like to swap the gas block "block", but it's same sight plain and very functional as is. The Magpul handguards cover enough of it to be less "block-ish". I don't why it bothers me; maybe the square lines remind me of unfinished work...

No post is complete without pictures....

DPMS and the MP-10 uppers/lowers together. Note the heavier walls of the DPMS and the cut out for the bolt stop:

[Linked Image]

Another side by side view:

[Linked Image]

DPMS upper closing on the SW lower, the binding of the front pin stops it about here:

[Linked Image]

And here:

[Linked Image]

You can see the binding over the top of the MP lower lugs:

[Linked Image]

Pressure points of the bind on the DPMS upper from the MP lower:

[Linked Image]

DPMS upper free-set on the SW lower, will fit, but you can see the cresent moon of the mis-alignment of the shorter DMPS upper lugs in the hole:

[img]http://i1077.photobucket.com/a...7-000014BAB654E1F7_zps9bc41e35.jpg[/img]

SW Upper on the DPMS lower, will close, until the rear lug makes contact, could be shaved to fit. Also note that the bolt catch is hit by the upper, and raises it off of the lower shelf where it rests:

[img]http://i1077.photobucket.com/a...7-000014BB6928881B_zps1df6c6cc.jpg[/img]

Short version: what looks like a simple swap-isn't. And we haven't looked into the bolt and carrier issues that may be out there as well.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Wish they all would get together and Mil-spec them. I think the prices would lower then, and you can have better choices. AH64guy, do you have both? I've heard that all the AR style 308's are more accurate than the FAL's. I guess some more than others. Also, barrel thickness can be thin with very good steel or thick with bad steel. However barrel vibration on thiner barrels can cause worse groups. At least it seems everyone is standardizing on the Magpul magazines, DPMS, Rem, S&W, and I think Armalite is also now. Maybe others will follow. If they would all standardize on the lowers, then all the uppers would fit.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Why not just get a Springfield SOCOM? No shortage of parts or magazines. The whole no standard and reading has kept me from getting an AR10, so it is an open ended question.

Good Shooting!
T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
There's probably more Armalite aftermarket stuff out there than any other. Simply cause its been around for the longest and being based off the original Stoner AR design doesn't hurt either.

Never seen the need to swap parts back and forth in the real world, so I'm not following why the "need" for mil spec. There's so much divergence from Mil spec these days that that argument doesn't hold up.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AH64guy

The RRA bolt release is ambi, but forward under the front of the trigger guard, and pulls down IIRC.

The LAR-8 bolt release is IN FRONT of the trigger guard. Right where it should be if you really think about it. No need to remove your hand from the gun or hit a lever with your palm like a standard AR-15 type release.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Does your S&W come with accuracy standards? Is barrel break in needed? What is the barrel spec?

Last edited by dmsbandit; 08/07/13.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
64' what sort of groups you gettin'?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
64' what sort of groups you gettin'?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

just a little smaller than 64'

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Do you know what kinda groups 64 is gonna get? Cause if I read it right he's only fired 5 rounds through it.

Get a clue.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
MOA of range fan at the moment. laugh

Hope to get some time in the next two weeks to sit at the bench and see what it will do.

For me, this thread isn't about arguing for the "best" rifle, it's an information exchange of what each rifle has, and what fits between them, and what doesn't.

With any luck, I'd hope we've saved somebody some money and headaches by posting our trial and errors issues.

Last edited by AH64guy; 08/07/13.
IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by AH64guy
MOA of range fan at the moment. laugh

Hope to get some time in the next two weeks to sit at the bench and see what it will do.

For me, this thread isn't about arguing for the "best" rifle, it's an information exchange of what each rifle has, and what fits between them, and what doesn't.

With any luck, I'd hope we've saved somebody some money and headaches by posting our trial and errors issues.

I await with baited breath. I'll decide whether or not to sell the SCAR 17S.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TWR
Do you know what kinda groups 64 is gonna get? Cause if I read it right he's only fired 5 rounds through it.

Get a clue.
The post comment was 64' from "take a knee". that is 64 FEET. He didn't have AH64GUY in his comment. Excuse me for actually reading the comment correctly.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
smile

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
AH64Guy, please let us know how well your S&W shoots.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
AH64Guy, were you able to try out your S&W this weekend?

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

179 members (3333vl, 1eyedmule, 10Glocks, 160user, 2UP, 44mc, 15 invisible), 1,581 guests, and 964 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,779
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.