Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
I smell what your stepping in!

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
GB1

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
At the range where I currently shoot, the area immediately in front of the concrete benches drops down a few feet, which means in order to use chrony I'd have to mount it on a tripod that is about 7-8 feet tall, not to mention if there is any wind, it's likely to blow the whole thing over. The magnetospeed seems like a much better solution.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Who the [bleep] shoots through the screens whilst testing accuracy? Run a a few through them and rock on. Hell, we've dropped the tailgate before, put the chrono on it and ran a few shoots across it, dialed the appropriate dope in and proceeded to thump soda bottles at 700 yards.

I can't imagine spending the day at a bench, sending every round threw the screens.

If the strap on works, great. Strap it on, fire a few and pull the SOB off and go to work.

Amazing how people like to complicate [bleep].

Agreed.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't use a chronograph just to determine velocity to be used for downrange trajectory. I use it to help in finding the best load. ES does make a difference in vertical stringing at long distances.

The chrono also can show when the powder charges are beginning to develop too much pressure before signs like hard bolt lift or marks on casehead show. Occasionally velocity doesn't increase with more powder and that can be helpful too.

I figure if I am at the range why not use all my equipment? I will admit that setting up the skyscreen style chronograph is a bit tiresome but worth the data. Looking forward to getting my SuperChrono for speedy setup.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You can garner much by actually shooting. Throw a few and go. We didn't have any problem plugging soda bottles at 700 yards after we threw a few across the screens.

If you got problems, it will show when shooting at distance, I don't need screens for that.

People love complicating [bleep].

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I am always astounded by the number of handloaders who think knowing the velocity of their loads is a minor afterthought in the process--just as I'm amazed by shooters who think a bore-sighter is useless, when they're almost essential for mounting scopes properly, and can save a bunch of time and ammo in other ways.

Of course, we can get along fine without either a chronograph of bore-sighter, and older shooters (like me) did for many years. And in reality we could all still get along fine with factory ammo, and scopes mounted by the local store. But that's not what most Campfire members are all about.

In fact I wonder why some people post on the Campfire, when their total reason for posting appears to be old-fashioned harrumphs about all the time and energy wasted on irrelevancies--when those very people ARE SPENDING TIME AND ENERGY POSTING ON THE INTERNET. If they're so convinced their simpler way of doing things is best of all, why in hell do they own a computer?

Same guys don`t care what a Rifle cost but moan about spending over $100.00 for a scope!!! crazy

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm different, and I like it!

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Mine should be in the 21st.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
so does this thing work on a muzzleloader?

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
The MS came in today. What a niffty little set-up. I just maybe in business during the rainy days here in the Pac Northwest.

IC B3

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by deflave
The ability to not have the entire firing line go cold to set up my chrony is reason enough to have one.

Gonna add one to my next order.

Travis

Me too.

Plus, I typically develop loads not so much for the velocity but for the accuracy. If I can hit it, I can kill it. After some development, if I find some similarly accurate loads I will then chrono them to see which is fastest. Or, if one is most accurate, I chrono so I can figure out trajectory and then verify by shooting at distances.

it just seems it used to me much easier to find the time to go through all the hassle of setting up a chronograph. And, many ranges do not want to allow you to set up anything in front of the bench.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I'm looking for a way to mount it on the bench without having to hang it on the barrel. I wish they had included that option.

DF

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Someone on here posted pics of his bench-mounted MagnetoSpeed, but a quick search did not turn it up for me. Perhaps someone else can post a link to that post.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by deflave
The ability to not have the entire firing line go cold to set up my chrony is reason enough to have one.

You live in Montana and have to shoot on a public range? Isn't there some open land somewhere that you can shoot?

My range is the pipeline running across my land, I can shoot 400 yds in one direction and 1000+ in the other direction if I want to drive the target out that far. No dealing with some guy trying to sight in his new remington 783 and bubble pack scope. I put the rifle on the bench, stick the chrono on the tripod and start shooting. I chrono every shot during load workup, if you're not going to collect the data then what's the point of working up a load? Just throw some crap together and plink if that's what gets your rocks off. If you're going to find a consistent load you need to know the velocity/ES/SD etc.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by mudhen

That's my picture you refer to.

I have further modified that setup since posting that picture. The new V3 bayonet lends itself to modification for a bench top setting more readily than my original V1. I don't think it'd be hard to do so. I used a lightweight Sinclair rest I had that was not in use. You can buy that same rest for $99 now. This setup sits just in front of the rifle rest with bench top room to spare. As you can see, the bayonet is fully adjustable and cantilevers out to a maximum of 20". I put the mending plate on the bars so I could break it down & store it in my tackle tray. This rig is a rest, a clamp track for woodworking & a piece of storage bin angle.

[Linked Image]

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I just cobbled together a bench mounted MS. Haven't used it yet, but I think it will work.

Will post photos tomorrow.

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I took a Hoppes aluminum rifle rest I've had for years and adapted it to the MS Chrono. I took a 10-24 screw, cut a 5/32" pilot hole thru the base, followed by a 10-24 tap. I had to offset center because of a rib, see photo.

I removed all the MS attachment gadgets, dropped the screw thru the hole, followed by a washer and nut, screwed it into the threaded base followed by another washer and nut. I locked both in place after adjusting to level.

I hacksawed several cuts on the opposite side of the rest, used a cold chisel to break out the pieces, smoothed up the cut with a Dremel. I used a piece of leather to wedge it tight. A steel "T" square sticks to the MS magnet, making it easy to level the device.

I'm going to leave it assembled, just wrap the cord as shown. You can see where I cut a hole to keep the cord from being in a bind.

Haven't used it yet, but think it should work OK. It's rock solid with no wobble and I can adjust the height to accommodate the rifle rest I'm using.

A caliber sized wooden dowel may be nice to make sure the bullet's line of flight will be appropriate. Not sure that will be needed.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Great ideas!!

Have you had any issues with the muzzle blast moving the sensor around? Suppose the base used for mounting needs to be pretty stable?

Last edited by Phil09; 09/20/15.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Good question.

And with muzzle brake?

DF

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (673, 300_savage, 10gaugemag, 1_deuce, 79S, 2500HD, 14 invisible), 1,613 guests, and 886 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,503
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.