Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
salsola Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S

Hey all,

I'm looking to replace my down jacket in preparation for an October hunt in the Pecos Wilderness. Wondering what others use and recommend.

I'm looking for a mid-weight jacket-- somewhere between "down sweater" and arctic parka. I don't anticipate temps below 15 degrees. Light, warm and packable are very important with cost/value being a secondary (but important) consideration. I'd like a hood too.

On my short list so far is Mont-bell ( Alpine Light) and Feathered Friends ( [color:#FF0000]Daybreak Hooded[/color] )

Any suggestions or experience?

thanks

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The Montbell looks like it would be a LOT warmer as it is puffier. The FF is more of a down "sweater" it appears.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've had an Alpine light for quite a while and used it hard. It's been much more durable than I expected. I also like the WM flash in that general weight range. Montane makes some decent down jackets as well, like the Featherlite. The North Star is nice as well, don't have one but have used it. Their fabrics are on par or better than Pertex in my opinion.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I've had a FF Helios for several years now. It is a great piece of kit and is between a down sweater and arctic parka. Mine does not have the hood. It is very packable and very warm for the weight. When this one wears out, I will buy another.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
At those temps I'd use either my patagonia nano puff hoody or my kuiu spindrift, there are some great products out there for sure when it comes to weight/warmth ratio.

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Based on using their products, my suggestions would be to buy one of the lighter models made by the following firms and in this order.

1. Westcomb of Vancouver, BC-this is the finest mountain clothing I have yet worn and that includes a LOT of Canadian, US, Euro. and some "Antipodean" and even Asian gear over the years.

2. Valnadre-superb, fine quality and very practical designs.

3. WM and FF, very good, about "equal" overall and I think that the WM down gear is made here in Vancity for them by Westcomb.

There are others and less costly models, but, these impress me most and are, IMHO, also the "best value" in the long term.

For MY uses in BC, a place where it DOES get cold, I like the light "Chilko" model by Westcomb best of all and one of these is in my future, if I ever wear out the several ID, Montbell and Richard Egge jackets I currently have.

Note: Most of my current jackets are synthetics, due to living on the BC Coast, but, with only one downie, the "expedition" double duvet Egge, I am hoping to buy my wife and I matching Westcombs, when/if we move to the Kootenays and colder weather.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I sure love my Mountain Hardwear subzero. It's a little more substantial than you were asking for, but honestly it awesome because its compresses in its own tuff sack, weight is great and it's perfect foe putting on once you get in position. I travel with just light weight polypropylene and my shell on, usually unzipped to keep from sweating. Get to your glassing spot or stand and put it on and then your goretex shell over it. Cozy.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
S
salsola Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I appreciate all the feedback gentlemen. My eyes have been opened to some new brands-- just wish it were easier to see these jackets in person.

Conrad101-- that's the exact scenario I'm planning for. A few hours of use each morning & evening while glassing.

Thanks again for the input--- time to stare deep into the wallet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Some great brands have been mentioned....but there are cheaper alternatives as well. I got a Marmot Zeus half zip pullover for $80 on sale and it is serving me well. I had one tear on the chest but a bit of superglue fixed that.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What about the Kuiu Super Down jacket?

IC B3

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Another vote for the KUIU Super Down, mine goes with me every time.

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe."
- Abraham Lincoln, the Rail Splitter from Illinois.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I would strongly recommend a jacket with a hood.

I have both the Superdown and Flash jackets. The Flash is warmer (noticeably) but the Superdown has a better hood and layers better. I also have a Montbell down jacket and can recommend them as well.

Most of the jackets recommended will never be found in a local store. I would narrow it down to 2 or 3 and order all of them. Try them on at home and send the losers back.

Last edited by russ_outdoors; 08/28/13.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by russ_outdoors
I would strongly recommend a jacket with a hood.

I have both the Superdown and Flash jackets. The Flash is warmer (noticeably) but the Superdown has a better hood and layers better. I also have a Montbell down jacket and can recommend them as well.

Most of the jackets recommended will never be found in a local store. I would narrow it down to 2 or 3 and order all of them. Try them on at home and send the losers back.

+1 on the hood. I have a MB Alpine Light parka that I really like. Light, warm and compressible and as durable as you'd expect.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
-1 on the hood. frown I hate hoods. My ears are the eyes in the back of my head. I can't hear with a hood. Some from sound baffling, but mostly just from the noise the hood makes flexing and dragging on other clothing.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by T_O_M
-1 on the hood. frown I hate hoods. My ears are the eyes in the back of my head. I can't hear with a hood. Some from sound baffling, but mostly just from the noise the hood makes flexing and dragging on other clothing.

Had you ever snowshoed up and down the AK pipeline, at night, at minus 50F, you'd change your mind about hoods.

One of my favorite "jackets", isn't. It is a Golite Cirrus down vest with omni tape sewn to the collar. This enables me to fasten a Jacks R'Better Down Hood to the vest collar. This hood has twice the insulation of anything else on the market. Arms cold? Slip on JRB's down sleeves.

This setup will drop the comfort rating of a sleeping quilt 15-20 degrees, mostly due to the hood and all that down around your neck.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

Had you ever snowshoed up and down the AK pipeline, at night, at minus 50F, you'd change your mind about hoods.

You're talking about two completely different purposes. TOM is talking about a hunting situation while you're referring to a midnight hike.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by 8SNAKE

You're talking about two completely different purposes. TOM is talking about a hunting situation while you're referring to a midnight hike.

No, I'm talking about not becoming a Hatchet Jack impersonator:

After you die from hypothermia in sub-freezing conditions, that is your next state. Just because you have a jacket with a hood, doesn't mean you have to use it. No hat is as effective, period, and hats can get lost or forgotten.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
After you die from hypothermia in sub-freezing conditions, that is your next state. Just because you have a jacket with a hood, doesn't mean you have to use it. No hat is as effective, period, and hats can get lost or forgotten.

You're using an extreme example to support a weak argument. Hoods have their place, but not everyone faces hypothermia and/or death when hunting. It's a big world out there and your way isn't always/often the best.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
. It's a big world out there and your way isn't always/often the best.

You sound like my wife smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
. It's a big world out there and your way isn't always/often the best.

You sound like my wife smile

It's a darn good thing I wasn't taking a drink of something when I read that. I'd have spewed it all over my keyboard!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (204guy, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,361 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,304
Posts18,487,128
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.