Hop To
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
You are "Guaranteed" your shot is going to be 100yards and under on Whitetails.

I've seen the plan Jane Round Nose bullets often shoot amazingly well at 100 and they have an excellent track record for that kind of work. Yet the majority don't use them.

Why?

Last edited by battue; 09/06/13.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by battue

I've seen the plan Jane Round Nose bullets often shoot amazingly well at 100 and they have an excellent track record for that kind of work. Yet the majority don't use them.

Why?

Veddy good question. I have some 30 cal 200 gr. Hornady RN's I'm thinking about selling since I have a .338 win mag, 9.3x62mm, 375 h&h, 348 winchester for my heavy work. No need in trying to turn my 30-06 into a locomotive anymore. wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

My little Model 7 .243 shoots 100gr round tips veddy good.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S

Why?

I've actually given thought to that as of late. I have woods only days that I couldn't shoot 100 if I tried.

I'd also like to bust a deer with some cast bullets in my 338 Federal. I've not checked on molds, but I'm sure I could find something.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
TTSX through the shoulders. Most likely DRT, and minimal, if any wasted meat.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle

Why?

Really good question. My experience mirrors yours, Ive shot RNs and they invariably shoot well. Anyone who casts bullets will tell you the closer to cylindrical that they get, the better they shoot. ( Hence the use of full wadcutters for target shooting.)

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
No doubt, but I'm running short on 130gr .308 TTSX and they have been more than a little hard to find lately. Have a lot of others that will work, but was just doing a little off the wall rambling.

Last edited by battue; 09/06/13.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ingwe

Why?

Really good question. My experience mirrors yours, Ive shot RNs and they invariably shoot well. Anyone who casts bullets will tell you the closer to cylindrical that they get, the better they shoot. ( Hence the use of full wadcutters for target shooting.)

Now come on ingwe. I'm thinking these are pretty cylindrical (cigar if you will wink....). But I don't know if I can get the dang things to shoot worth a hoot in any of my 30 cals. I just keep them around for the cool factor grin..:

[Linked Image]

250 gr. barnes, shown with a 308 win case for size comparison...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Clearly, you just dont get it. You MUST be able to shoot 1,000 yards even IF you are "guaranteed" a shot at 100 or less... grin

Its all about the ability to shoot further donchaknow...

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Cant help you on that! Ive shot 220 gr RN solids in a .30-06 and of course 175 RN solids in a 7x57, plus 300 gr. soft and solid in a .375, and 180 gr. softs RNs in a .300 H&H...all shot excellent...the 180 gr in the .300 H&H was scary accurate....

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Round nosed bullets don't suddenly drop from the air at a certain distance while their spitzer siblings fly on, laughing in haughty superiority grin With a RN bullet you just need to be better at estimating the range and figuring, out and then compensating for, the bullet drop.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
And we MUST work up a load that averages 1/2" accuracy for shooting at 100 yards or less. Otherwise we won't be able to hit them in exactly the middle of the correct rib, or precisely up the bunghole.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
And we MUST work up a load that averages 1/2" accuracy for shooting at 100 yards or less. Otherwise we won't be able to hit them in exactly the middle of the correct rib, or precisely up the bunghole.

Call me whimsical, but I detect a hint of facetiousness...... grin

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
No doubt, but I'm running short on 130gr .308 TTSX and they have been more than a little hard to find lately. Have a lot of others that will work, but was just doing a little off the wall rambling.

You need something for the Kimber/Savage?

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The Hornady 117 Round Nose shot really well in a pard's Pre '64 257 Roberts. He stacked up a pile of game with it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer

A big pill up the bunghole always works doesn't it...... grin

BSA MAGA
E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Sounds like a suppository.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
battue Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks, but I'm good. Have 50 left, but I have more than a little of others that will work, but just may try something different for kicks.

Appreciate the offer.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P

Where I'm deer hunting locally from a tree stand, I'd be lucky to get 75 yards. I'll be using the 8mm 170 Hornady round noses. Near enough to the same POI and speed of the 175 Sierras load @100 yards and below.

Why?

I really dont know. I was rather upset when Sierra discontinued the 6.5mm 160 SMP. Here's the email reply;

Paul,

You are right - that was a great bullet. The trouble was, it did not sell.
When we made a run, it would take us years to sell it and that is taking up valuable floor space and capital. If a bullet does not pay for itself, then we have to let it go. As proof of this, we discontinued that bullet at the beginning of 2005 and did not sell the last of them until mid-2006. That was 5 1/2 years ago and we still have people that are just now noticing.

I am sorry, we loved all those SSP bullets, but they just did not sell. We needed that money and floor space for faster turning bullets.

We hung onto them longer than we probably should have, but we were hoping people would discover how great they were and buy more. It just did not happen.

Matt

Sierra Bullets

My unqualified 2 cents.

Last edited by Paulh; 09/06/13.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
Sounds like a suppository.

grin

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

624 members (10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 02bfishn, 1234, 007FJ, 12344mag, 58 invisible), 2,624 guests, and 1,361 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,724
Posts18,475,806
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.