Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Soure ? Personal observations of many of both on the street. E
I'm not sure you can derive a valid 50% figure based on that. Seems way too high. Revolvers have been heavily used in war by US forces from about 1860 through about 1911, and supplementarily through the two World Wars and beyond, without reports in significant numbers of the particular shortcoming you suggest. Furthermore, there's their long history in US police work. It wasn't dropped from police work due to complaints about the shortcoming you specify, but rather due to sustained firepower issues which favor auto pistols.

GB1

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
IIRC when the Secret Service did their "frisbee" test, they used their S&W 2.5" model 19 as the control and it faired much better than the Glock, and not as we'll as some if the other auto's such as the Sig.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Personally I prefer a semi auto for self defensive use. More rounds, easier to carry extra magazines than speed loaders and I can reload them faster

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
With an auto reloads are faster, easier to do without looking at the gun, can be reloaded while a round is in the chamber and autos can be "topped off" if you want.

The first two can be debated, but for most folks hold true. The last two are valid points, but may not concern some folks.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
odd that a revolver would be less damaged than a glock in that kind of a test.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not sure if anyone else already mentioned it but autos are slimmer and just plain easier to carry, including the reloads. In my case it's the P938, which I finally have running reliably.

I still want one of those M60 Pro models - 4" barrel, night sight on the front, adj rear. Load pretty much anything you want in it - a round of snake shot, couple rounds of wadcutters for small game, and a couple of full tilt magnums for large unfriendly kitties. Pretty nice revo for knocking around in the wild. But serious defensive use, in an area where all the predators are two legged, I'll go auto.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by KevinGibson
I like 9 mm also, and I think his Kahr is a dandy little gun. But I certainly don't see any meaningful difference, alone a "big difference".
To me the difference is in the concealability (including the spare ammo) and the slight - but potentially critical - speed in reloading an empty handgun. Last, the vast majority of revolvers (I believe) are carried in OTB holsters, while the modern slim 9mms can be rather comfortably carried in an IWB holster... Just my .02..

But as to shells/power - yeah, they're about the same..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Redneck
I like 9 mm also, and I think his Kahr is a dandy little gun. But I certainly don't see any meaningful difference, alone a "big difference".
To me the difference is in the concealability (including the spare ammo) and the slight - but potentially critical - speed in reloading an empty handgun. Last, the vast majority of revolvers (I believe) are carried in OTB holsters, while the modern slim 9mms can be rather comfortably carried in an IWB holster... Just my .02..

My AirWeight Bodyguard carries very comfortably IWB in a Milt Sparks Versa Max II, but yes, a slim auto pistol is more perfectly suited for IWB carry.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Believe whatever you like RH. I've got a friend who tied up a 29 Smith when he used it as a club. Happend to catch the bad guy with the edge of the clylinder. Gun could not be fired after the fight.
BTW, the same guy personally examined three Glocks after getting reports of several other that came apart when used as clubs. When that happens, they can't be repaired as the frame rails are ripped off. A revolver tied up with a bent clylinder pin can usually be repaired. E

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Eremicus
Believe whatever you like RH. I've got a friend who tied up a 29 Smith when he used it as a club. Happend to catch the bad guy with the edge of the clylinder. Gun could not be fired after the fight.
Sorry, Eremicus, but if you've reached the point you're using your sidearms as a nightstick, you're past the point of worrying about how well it will function as a firearm. If you need to buy a new gun after beating an attacker into submission with your empty revolver, so be it. It's not designed to survive being used like that.

That said, held by the barrel and trigger guard, using the butt as the striking point, I don't see a lot of damage occurring to a quality double action revolver.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm gonna pack my Redhawk if I gotta bang some heads! That things tougher than a sledge hammer. That or the butt of my Super BlackHawk cool

Last edited by chlinstructor; 09/10/13.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Specifically I'm comparing what I consider a pocket BUG. If something is going int a hip holster of mine, it certainly won't be a BUG. My LW Commander carries and conceals just fine with shorts and a T-shirt. Just comparing BUG's.

GunGeek Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475

Personally I prefer a semi auto for self defensive use. More rounds, easier to carry extra magazines than speed loaders and I can reload them faster

Certainly as a primary, but what about a pocket gun? Still semi-auto?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Kev, back in the mid 80s, Iver Johnson sold a little .22lr called the TP-22. It was a Walther PPK knockoff, scaled down. Same take down and everything. The slide and frame were cheap zinc based, but the fixed barrel was steel. Oddly enough, the gun I owned functioned reliably with every mixed round I fired through it and it was a pretty accurate little beast as well. I'm trying to recall, but the magazine I believe held 6 rounds. It was a true "pocket" gun! I killed many a West Texas grass hopper (about the size of a humming bird!) and not just a few rattle snakes on the black top roads at night.

It was a comforting little gun to have tucked away where no one knew it was there.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

, but what about a pocket gun? Still semi-auto? [/quote] Absolutely - at least, in my case..

You cannot make a 6-round cylinder diameter as thin as say, a Kahr P-9.. That revolver's gonna print..

Now, maybe if the person's 500# and usin' suspenders with baggy pants and pockets.............

laugh laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Kev, back in the mid 80s, Iver Johnson sold a little .22lr called the TP-22. It was a Walther PPK knockoff, scaled down. Same take down and everything. The slide and frame were cheap zinc based, but the fixed barrel was steel. Oddly enough, the gun I owned functioned reliably with every mixed round I fired through it and it was a pretty accurate little beast as well. I'm trying to recall, but the magazine I believe held 6 rounds. It was a true "pocket" gun! I killed many a West Texas grass hopper (about the size of a humming bird!) and not just a few rattle snakes on the black top roads at night.

It was a comforting little gun to have tucked away where no one knew it was there.
I remember those and being tempted to buy one.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
You cannot make a 6-round cylinder diameter as thin as say, a Kahr P-9.. That revolver's gonna print.
The P-9 has awesome carry characteristics, for sure, but I don't recall my Detective Special printing at all while carried in a Milt Sparks VM II back when that was my regular carry piece.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
You cannot make a 6-round cylinder diameter as thin as say, a Kahr P-9.. That revolver's gonna print.
The P-9 has awesome carry characteristics, for sure, but I don't recall my Detective Special printing at all while carried in a Milt Sparks VM II back when that was my regular carry piece.

Does the VMII work well for pocket carry?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I prefer my Kahr P9 to my 38 revolvers

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Does the VMII work well for pocket carry?
The discussion has varied fairly widely, but my experience with both the P-9 and the Detective Special has been with IWB carry. I don't consider either of them to be "pocket guns," though both will fit in a pants pocket, and the cylinder print is easy to deal with in a pocket by a mere matter of placing a wallet sized piece of thick leather in front of it.

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

296 members (257 mag, 1badf350, 160user, 260Remguy, 06hunter59, 257 roberts, 30 invisible), 2,046 guests, and 1,091 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,327
Posts18,526,541
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.