Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Karnis Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone running one? Prolly not but thought I'd ask. Think I'm gonna twist one together on a Rem LA that I just shnagged from waterbug.

HR IC

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've got a nice S & L Model 68DL in 7 X 61. It's a fine little cartridge and an accurate rifle. If you get yours made with the free bore that S & L used you will be surprised at how much powder you can use in that case.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am a nutcase for old cartridges from the 50's. Running a 30 Belted Newton and a 348AI. Please tell us how this project turns out.

Stocker, soooooo....... what kind of load data and bullet speeds are you getting? Are the newer powders like R-22 and 25, 7828SSC, Retumbo etc. getting you even more than the original speeds hoped for in this cartridge? My 30 Belted Newton dotes on 7828SSC and Barnes 130TTSX's at 3550 fps.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Karnis Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I'm screwed now. Ordered the dies.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Welcome to my affliction..... smile

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Karnis

Carlos,

The 7x61 S&H was on my short list of two 7mm chamberings back in 1957, for my first custom build. I went with a 7mm Ackley Magnum however. But, I drooled a whole lot over the 7x61. It was available in Shultz and Larson rifles in that timeframe.
Let us know how it turns out. Sounds like a great chambering to build.

Take care, and good luck.

Don

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
safariman: I've stuck with IMR 4831 as the load was developed a long time back. Tried Re 19 briefly but accuracy not quite as good. Bolt lift gets sticky at 64 grains IMR4831. 62 grains with 160 Sierra Game King gave a 10 shot average of 2953 and gave me best accuracy and good brass life. Good moose medicine.

There is still good Norma brass available but I opted to buy custom forming and sizing dies which RCBS made to my supplied once fired case specs. Now use W-W 300 Win Mag cases for the most part although I still have several hundred new Norma factory Super cartridges. Be careful when substituting brass for Norma factory brass as cases can vary quite a bit in weight and volume. The 300W-W brass falls about midway between original 7 X 61 brass and the later redesigned brass which was designated 7 X 61 Super. There is 30 - 40 grains difference between the original and the Super brass, both by Norma. I finally discarded my remaining original brass when I got the dies.
Another caution is that I have found chamber reamers used by N.A. gunsmiths to be a bit larger than those use by Schultz and Larsen. Off the shelf sizing and forming dies did not do the trick for my chamber, thus the custom dies. Not a problem provided you know what you are getting in a chamber.

Karnis Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DMB
Originally Posted by Karnis

Carlos,

The 7x61 S&H was on my short list of two 7mm chamberings back in 1957, for my first custom build. I went with a 7mm Ackley Magnum however. But, I drooled a whole lot over the 7x61. It was available in Shultz and Larson rifles in that timeframe.
Let us know how it turns out. Sounds like a great chambering to build.

Take care, and good luck.

Don

Just to go back in "history" a bit: Dad gave me a Hornady reloading manual when I was 10-11 yrs old. I still have notes I made back then regarding the 7x61.

Not sure why I haven't built one in the intervening years. Will do it now that I'm on the "slippery slope" smile . I'm a 6.5/7mm slut anyway so why not? Think I'll have IT&D screw on a SS Douglas, 1-9, #2, 2" shank (if possible). Barrel length TBD.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A buddy has one. Funny story, we went hunting in the middle of nowhere B.C. and 2 guys come over to visit our fire. They start talking about guns and the one guy says he has a gun that is rare and no one would have one. I say no my friends is rarer and he would win the bet, Well to make it a short story they both had 7x61's and the other fellows first words after his jaw hit the floor were " where do you get your ammo" 7x 61 ammo was hard to get and that was in the 80's and I do not know about now.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by stocker
I've got a nice S & L Model 68DL in 7 X 61. It's a fine little cartridge and an accurate rifle. If you get yours made with the free bore that S & L used you will be surprised at how much powder you can use in that case.

My dad had one made 2 years ago and it shoots very well, but it has the short throat with very little freebore, and his final charges are lower than some manuals starting charge. Just be sure you know what reamer is being used before you load for it.

Even with the reduced case volume, it still shoots very close to the velocity it is supposed to get, which is probably helped by the custom tube. He was able to buy 100 or so Norma factory rounds at the same time.

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
IC B3

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Terry Wieland found an S&L in 7x61 and did a write up on the inventer of that cartridge in Gray's a while back.

That S&L is one heckofa rifle from what he desribed as well as from the pics. That is a great cartridge as well.

He said that Norma found the original brass to have been over built and that the Super has the same external dimensions while increasing case capacity by reengineering internal dimensions while still maintaining resiliance necessary for safe firing of the rifle.

I'm very interested in hearing more about your S&L stocker.

Karnis, good luck in the new build!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well, it's only four years, Karnis, how did the 7X61 turn out? wink

Ted

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Dead thread brought back, but a good one!

I always wanted one and a .308 Norma Magnum.

Funny how those cartridges just got overlooked by American manufacturers.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
That 7x61 has some bad mojo going on....
Love that cartridge.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I trust you put my brass to good use...:)

Defend the Constitution
U
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
U
My 7x61, that I acquired last spring, is a S&L Model 54J. Seems to have a fondness for 175gr. bullets & IMR4350. Groups @ 1 1/2 MOA out to 400yds which is way more than far enough. Can't wait for the seasons to start! I went the custom form die route as Norma brass & ammo are hard to come by in these parts.
Cheers

"The more I am around people the better I like my dog." Mark Twain
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Stocker, I have not tried IMR4831 with the Sierra 160, but have been using 61 grains H4831 and Fed. 215 Mag. Match for a MV of app. 2900. My NULA (26") does not have the freebore of the S&L and the OAL is 3.12". Accuracy is excellent. I've been looking for a clean 68DL for a good while. I suspect brass does not stretch in the S&L as bad as some say, but I have no first hand experience. Any comments?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JohnMoses

Dead thread brought back, but a good one!

I always wanted one and a .308 Norma Magnum.

Funny how those cartridges just got overlooked by American manufacturers.

They are both very fine cartridges, and I am blessed to be still using both. The 7X61 is a S&L, and the two 308s are a lovely Husqvarna and a Frankenrifle.

Methinks the US manufacturers had other puddings to peddle. smile
Ted

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
When I was just starting into the world of shooting and rifles, my neighbor was a gunsmith, stockmaker, and outstanding rifleman.. He shot in Camp Perry each year and had a awesome reputation in the local small bore rifle matches.. He took me under his wing and made me a beautiful rifle stock.. Anyway the 7x61 was his Camp Perry rifle.. He also used it for long range shooting of deer.. He was building another sporter in 7x61 when he was killed in an accident.. His original sporter in that caliber was sold when someone offered him a great price for the rifle. It was an awesome caliber.. He did some great shooting with this rifle before he was killed.. He was the local legend among the shooters in that area..
Fast forward to five years ago, I was hunting in the Clearfield, Pa. area, when I stopped in at a little gunshop.. There on the used rack sat a mauser 98, with a custom stock, a 6x Lyman with a dot, and about a 24" barrel.. It was for sale at a reasonable price.. the shop owner said dies and cases went with the deal.. That made it very attractive.. I told him if the guy brought the stuff in, I would probably take the rifle.. The owner never delivered the dies and brass, and before I left the area.. The little shop closed its doors.. That little 7x61 was a typical custom rifle for that period of time ... Opportunities lost..

Molon Labe
Karnis Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Yukoner
Well, it's only four years, Karnis, how did the 7X61 turn out? wink

Ted

Turned out great. It's in a Rimrock stock and is very accurate. Weighs about 7 3/4's......

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1234, 160user, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 65 invisible), 1,920 guests, and 1,079 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,884
Posts18,497,798
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.