Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
You need one of those big 6000 plus packbags that swallow gear smile . It makes life a lot easier

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
GB1

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by Kevin_T
You need one of those big 6000 plus packbags that swallow gear smile . It makes life a lot easier

That or a lighter stove smile

Ed T

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
The problem with the 6000 cui bags is that it's way too easy to bring way too much along! If Namack were coming up sooner I would pawn some gear off on him, but I will need just about everything for the entire week.

Ed, your stoves have intrigued me for a long time. I thought long and hard about which one one I wanted.

My gear is all over the living room and my wife is ready for it to be out of her way ASAP. She likes having a freezer full of meat though, have to take the good with the bad.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
So, see anything that would make me give up my Gen 1 Kifaru long hunter?

I see lots of need things, but never see enough in one package to make me switch.

Am I wrong?

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I just pimped out a G1 Longhunter with a silnylon bag, back pocket,and compression kit from Hill People Gear, and added Kifaru carbon laminated stays. 4lb 14oz.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I got a MR CrewCab+lid waiting at home courtesy of Travis. I'm looking forward to trying it out, but that Metcalf looks sweet.

sreekers, which MR bag do you recommend for 2-5 day trips, if not the Metcalf?
Would a 6500 be more than enough?

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
What do you view as weaknesses on your longhunter? The only way I can answer is to address which packs do better in areas you view as a weakness. If the better performance in those areas is worth it then i would spend the money.

Originally Posted by David_Walter
So, see anything that would make me give up my Gen 1 Kifaru long hunter?

I see lots of need things, but never see enough in one package to make me switch.

Am I wrong?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tanner
I got a MR CrewCab+lid waiting at home courtesy of Travis. I'm looking forward to trying it out, but that Metcalf looks sweet.

Would a 6500 be more than enough?

If the Crewcab doesn't cut it, then yeah, in the MR line the next one on for the NICE frame is the 6500.

I used to use my Crewcab all the time for overnighters and 2 dayers, until I picked up my KU5200.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by sreekers
What do you view as weaknesses on your longhunter?

The packbag. When you pick it up, you wonder what you left in it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looking forward to seeing the article somewhere man....should be a very good read.

As for the 6K bag tempting you to take more than you need?? Just take what you know you need based on a smaller pack and then you have more options incase you need to carry more gear for someone...someonelse pack fails and you need to carry more or simply just put your gear and pack in the same bag. The factions of a pound or so between a 2-3K bag and a 6K bag hardly make it worth running a smaller bag for my uses, but we all have different uses that is for certain.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
I just pimped out a G1 Longhunter with a silnylon bag, back pocket,and compression kit from Hill People Gear, and added Kifaru carbon laminated stays. 4lb 14oz.

Sounds like a good setup...I tried a similar setup last year for packing out a caribou and even with just day hunt gear in their day pack (forget their name for it) it was cubed out pretty quick with puffy gear, food, water, and what not and especially so when the caribou was inbetween the frame and the daypack.

But I'm sure you've used it a lot and know it works well packing out critters so if it works for you great. Just found that the function for me in reality didn't work as great as I thought it might on paper.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I err on the side of extra space and a little discipline. First, if I need to carry someone else's stuff I can, second in a waterproof pack with extra volume ill forgo compressing a sleeping bag or anything else and just throw it in. The extra space of a large packbag is actually lighter than a bunch of compression sacks

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yup, if you are going to or only have ONE dedicated hunting pack, the larger, roughly 6500 cu. in. models are the most versatile for any actual "backpack hunting".

I suppose it depends where and even when you hunt, but, the overall BC big game season has just opened here and it has been HOT as in record breaking temps. My buddy and I chose to cancel a Blacktail trek to Van. Is. as I detest hunting in 85+* temps and with zillions of flies still around to get at your meat.

Yet, we have encounted sub-freezing temps, extreme winds, blowing snow and icy highways in past years at this same time of year and also heavy, continual rain and high wings, again, at "opening day". So, one never knows what to expect and I prefer to have us actually hunt alone so I always carry a real "emerg." camp and have for decades.

This, means I tend to carry at least my NICE-Wolf Alpha pack and often just my other NICE rig, a 6500 on an "Overkill" frame. Yeah, they DO weigh a couple of lbs. more, but, are always there to pack out whatever I can on the initial trip to the 4x4 and that saves my elderly, sore and gimpy carcass many tough steps.

Whatever, lotsa ways of reaching your own goals in this sport and some experimentation seems like a plan, to me.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree 100% Kevin!

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
I agree. Never understood some of these guys that have 3700 cubic inch pack and then they end up looking like the Beverly Hillbillies with all the crap strapped to the outside.
And then they talk like they cam pack their camp and their game all at once. Maybe if they are hunting bunnies!

Ed T

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
If I wanted 2 MR packbags to fit all my needs i would own a Metcalf and 6500. But that is only if i was limited to that brand and platform.

in my opinion the 6500 is overkill for 2 to 4 days. The glaRing weakness of the Metcalf is the loss of shoulder if you use the meat shelf option.

ThE 6500 will have shoulder lift regardless, but you pay the penalty in initial pack weight. If you are really tough the 6500 can get a lot more weight out in one trip simply based on volume.

Personally, if the Metcalf stays in my closet after this review it will primarily be a summer scouting pack.

quote=Tanner]I got a MR CrewCab+lid waiting at home courtesy of Travis. I'm looking forward to trying it out, but that Metcalf looks sweet.

Would a 6500 be more than enough? [/quote]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

But I'm sure you've used it a lot and know it works well packing out critters so if it works for you great.

Well, no, cause I just got the stuff put together. It is a tad short on volume. I'm thinking I might need to run a KU pod on the top of the pack. I've also considered a carbon-fiber cannister lashed to the top of the pack for food. I'm going to have to buy one for a hike I want to go on anyway.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Kevin_T
I err on the side of extra space and a little discipline. First, if I need to carry someone else's stuff I can, second in a waterproof pack with extra volume ill forgo compressing a sleeping bag or anything else and just throw it in. The extra space of a large packbag is actually lighter than a bunch of compression sacks

That coming from a man who can pull off a ski traverse with a ULA Ohm?

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
I need to add another thought, if these packs didn't have load shelves there is no way i would use them hunting. The extra space is a must for getting meat and gear out.

When i am solo i prefer the small pack bags, but 2 weekends ago i used the bigger Paradox for my wife and I. I carried the majority of both of our gear, so yes i agree with what everyone else is stating.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I like the modified ohm but always wanted / needed more volume. I did pull of 30 ish miles of mostly snow with an ohm but it was tricky and it was pretty much as minimal as I could go. I also pulled of a November backpack high elevation elk hunt and it was the same way. I'd take the same modified suspension with an extra 2k cubes and pay the couple ounces of 70d weight penalty. The ohm size is a great UL summer pack but a stretch for winter and fall for sure unless you plan on tarping and not carrying much for safety. The winter travers there was no option for axe, crampons and snow shoes .... It was pick what can fit and make work

Page 8 of 11 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (12344mag, 06hunter59, 1badf350, 16gage, 1moredeer, 10gaugemag, 56 invisible), 3,141 guests, and 1,301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,964
Posts18,519,505
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.