Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I should note I probably spent 6 tto 10 hrs of planning to make it work on the winter trip. A bigger packbag would have taken me a half hour to get ready. I think I packed and unpacked like 20 times

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you're moving camp frequently a bigger packbag is nice. You don't have to roll everything into its smallest possible dimension. As Kevin said it is so quick to just stuff sleeping bag, pad, clothes and all other gear in the pack and head out.

That said, most of my stuff is small enough that I can do that with a 4800.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I'm heading out with a 35 liter dry sack this weekend and could probably squeeze 3 days but in a couple weeks would need to move to 65 liter or 4800. 4800 is a nice size for me for most things as I am often carrying others gear or stuff I would not normally carry

Lightweight Tipi Tents and Hunting Tents https://seekoutside.com/tipis-and-hot-tents/
Backpacks for backpack hunting https://seekoutside.com/hunting-backpacks/
Hot Tent Systemshttps://seekoutside.com/hot-tent-combos/
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
For me with dry bags, I like a 15 liter for a day pack.
25 liter for overnight or weekend.
50 liter for multi-day to a week going light.
then 65-75 liter for longer trips or colder weather.

Ed T

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Few pics of a Paradox fresh from up north.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Where was this hunt, looks much like some of Canada's northern territories?

How did they deal with cooling and storing the meat from that Caribou as the "timber" looks a wee bit "scarce", so, hanging in a bug proof sack system might have been difficult to do?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those trees look MORE than capable for hanging meat. Having hung caribou and dall sheep in willows I'd say those spruce trees are pretty luxurious in comparison. Just tie off the game bags to willow or small trees works well....leave plenty of air circulation and if its on the north side of tree/brush you are hanging on it generally keeps it off the ground....of course you could also make a "meat pole" out of trekking poles. Plenty of different ways to skin that cat. laugh

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
I did NOT say that one couldn't do it, just that it might be a bit difficult with the "Picea Mariana" seen in the photo. Also, I think in terms of hanging meat HIGH above ground to prevent certain furry characters from swiping it and am used to BIG timber, so, I guess I have a bit of "bias" in that respect.

However, no major issue here, but, I have two pairs of trekking poles, one the Komperdell C3s and the other are Black Diamond, top of their line a couple of years ago, maybe "cork" something or other?

I would be rather hesitant to try to hang an Elk quarter for example from any sort of rig I can envision made from two of these and am intrigued by this. Can you enlighten me as to HOW you go about doing this, without busting $150.00+ poles and if you do this with two or four of these poles?

Even "an old dog" and I certainly qualify, can sometimes learn "new tricks"! smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
HAHA...Kute I certainly meant no disrespect man. Its done with 3 to 4 sets of trekking poles I've hung a caribou with 3 sets before and 2 dall sheep with 4 sets. Most of the time hanging from willows or simply rotation the meat while its load over scrub brush in quality game bags under a sil nylon tarp provides plenty of air flow and keeps it cool and dry.

I have some pics of the trekking pole meat pole, but I wouldn't wanna hang elk quarters off of it either...dall sheep and even moderate sized caribou like posted above sure...but no not elk. laugh Again no disrespect at all, just don't take your treeline going to 5k plus feet for granted smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kutenay
...as been HOT as in record breaking temps. My buddy and I chose to cancel a Blacktail trek to Van. Is. as I detest hunting in 85+* temps and with zillions of flies still around to get at your meat.

Yep, it is amazingly warm at higher elevations of southern B.C. I spent Fri. night in an impromptu overnight in sub-alpine between Vancouver & Hope-- and it was warm all night, T-shirt balmy in the dark before dawn Sat. morning. Lots of biting black flies and some mosquitoes. I picked 3.5 gallons of huckleberries and had a deer tag along as secondary goal but due to heat decided to only shoot a buck near the road, even though I hiked 1.5 miles to explore a "bucky looking" ridge.

Re hanging meat: two reasons mentioned but not explicitly separated. One is to cool, the other to protect from big meat eaters. As everyone in this group knows, inches of space off the ground on sticks or brush is all that's essential to cool.

It is hunter-gatherer time of year and I love it. 14 year old grandson killed a 5x6 Roosevelt bull evening before last with a 25 yard bow shot, Olympic Peninsula, WA.

Added: Oops, missed Alaska Lanche's post made while I was (slowly blush ) composing mine.

Last edited by Okanagan; 09/15/13.
IC B3

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Yup, want to drive home to Nelson, my cousin, a VERY successful hunter with several Elk racks in his workshop that just BLOW my elderly mind and a trapline all around the town, wants to take me and my light camp into a spot and I will stay there, alone, for 5-7 days and hunt Elk, Mulies and Whitetails by myself.

Then, IF, my .338 thunders and I am lucky enough to "make meat", a call on my cell and he or one of his workers can bring a 4x4 plus ATV to haul out the boned meat.

We were there last October, it was STILL horribly hot, bonedry and NOTHING was moving. My buddy was totally sick from flu, I was barely over it, we could hardly eat and he finally said,"enough" it is 500 miles home and I can barely drive".

[bleep] happens, and we came back, then, the following week, my cousin, George, called and told me of SIX BIG mutherluvin' bulls shot there, all by guys I grew up with......but, it had cooled off and they began to "sing" later then they used to.

I HATE hot weather and will NOT shoot an animal for antlers and waste even one ounce of meat, so, all the different tricks here are of great interest to me, one learns every day.

Trekking poles, damn, these young guys are smart, I can see this working and it is something I have never even imagined!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by kutenay
Where was this hunt, looks much like some of Canada's northern territories?

Since that's Barry, I'd guess in AK.

I met the gentleman in Missoula at the first ever BHA rondy.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Butt Humpers Association?

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by deflave

No, that would be your outfit.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by deflave

No, that would be your outfit.

Grab your favorite top loader and take a swim. You'll feel better.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BHA is Backcountry Hunters and Anglers. BHA works to protect habitat, and to keep wild lands wild.

Good organization with a great cause.

http://www.backcountryhunters.org/

Dan, you nailed it.

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Here are a few pictures from the week long trip, more to come soon with some final thoughts before the actual review.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
Bloody pack pictures as promised, Metcalf being put to the test. 4 quarters bone in with cape and skull.
[Linked Image]
To answer the bone in question, I usually bone out every animal I take. However it was necessary to get out quickly as we were wet and my partner was getting cold quickly. The storm looked like it was getting worse and we were only a few miles from the truck at that point.
[Linked Image]
The pack was so heavy that I had to put it on sitting down, then roll over and push myself up from the hill.
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice!

So you've just got all the meat stuffed in the main pocket then? Where did you end up putting all your gear? Sorry for the dumb questions... I'm trying to decide whether or not it'd be worth selling my CrewCab and getting a Metcalf. The side zip thingy look really nice.

Tanner

S
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
S
If you are debating the Metcalf vs. Crew Cab, Metcalf wins every time in my mind. It has functional shoulder lift for most people.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

518 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 54 invisible), 2,907 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,970
Posts18,519,709
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.