Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Duly noted TAK, in fact after this season it will get a good cleaning.

I am afraid collectors would want to string me up, as I would have been inclined to carry and shoot the heck out of a 5" gun, had I been in your shoes back then.

I have one of the rare 7.5" Flattop 44 mags from way back when, and I don't hesitate to carry and shoot it in typical field conditions.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

GB1

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Don't stop with the story now!!!!

smile

I had to run into town.

Besides, when RJM gets back from vacation I am willing to bet he will contribute a bunch of pictures and posts. I was merely the local guide.

He can tell ya about drinking coffee/tea in the early morning on the porch of the cabin and having a herd of big critters come across the place, headed for parts unknown.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Excellent thread Mackay. Thank you.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
Like that 5" 29.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Excellent, spending time with family and friends shooting. Can't beat it!

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
IC B2

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by jwp475

Excellent, spending time with family and friends shooting. Can't beat it!

+1. Couldn't have said it better.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mackey,

Thanks for sharing your photos and words. I always like your posts and can't get enough of that mountain scenery!!!

Makes me want to break out my 4" 41 and make some noise.

thanks again....Jeff

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MACKAY SAGEBRUSH - " ... but the upper Pahsimeroi was loaded with antelope, which is pretty much always the case."

Yep. Several years ago my two buddies and I were drawn for Controlled Bull Elk there in the Pahsimeroi. On a scouting trip, driving up from Howe, north, to Challis, between Patterson and May, we spotted a bunch of antelopes and two of them were the biggest 'lopes I have ever seen. Even at a distance we could see their huge horns without any optical help. We did not have antelope tags, but watched them through our binoculars for a while as they grazed on the side of a distant hill, east of the road.

During elk season we camped way back up on Little Morgan Creek. Killed two nice bulls. Saw only two other hunters in that entire area. Beautiful country.

Looks like you and RJM had a good time.

EDIT: On that scouting trip, I killed two coyotes back up in that canyon east of Patterson, where the old abandoned mine is located. Used my S&W 57, 6" bbl., and my handloads. I kinda like the .41 Mag., too.

L.W.

Last edited by Leanwolf; 09/13/13.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Excellent thread, thoroughly enjoying it, thanks.
Have had the pleasure of filling antelope tags in the Pahsimeroi Valley.
Nice part of the world, good memories.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nice thread. I don't believe there is anything more enjoyable than popping off at long range with a big bore five or six gun. Pretty amazing what can be done and always enjoyable to get the naysayers aligned.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I can only say THANKS to Mac for sharing his time with me... Also would like to say thanks to RGS for the week we spent traving in Oregon and for Idaho Shooter for taking me fishing up at the Deadwood over the Labor day weekend.... All these guys are GREAT people.

Am now at a long time friend's in Phoenix and will be hooking up with Ron this week for some more adventures...

It has been a great tiip made greater by the kindness of "strangers"....Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
No Strangers,

Just Friends we had not met in person yet.

R
RGS Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
You are most welcome Bob. Glad you could come out to Oregon again. Always good to visit and shoot with you.

I can't post pics with my old MAC, so it will have to wait until you put a thread together when you get home.

I've enjoyed the pics from Idaho. I've been in the northern pan handle many times, but never made it to the southern areas. So much to see...

Enjoy Arizona my friend.

Rick
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Cool deal, Mackay. 5" N frames are perfection in my book.

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I agree.

The perfect "all around" length.

I enjoy 4" guns for their ease in packing in a belt rig.
I enjoy the 6.5" guns for their ease in shooting.

The 5" N Frames seems to be the perfect balancing point between the two. The first time I shot one, I was hooked for life!

Kind of like redheads! wink

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by j_elky
Mackey,

Thanks for sharing your photos and words. I always like your posts and can't get enough of that mountain scenery!!!

Makes me want to break out my 4" 41 and make some noise.

thanks again....Jeff

Jeff,

Thanks for the kudos. smile

Writing about stuff I enjoy comes fairly easy some days, sometimes it is a bit tougher to put it into words.

Meeting guy's you have corresponded with like RJM is a treat, and I was very happy to show him around. After a couple years of sharing emails, pics and texts, getting to meet a guy in person and go do stuff like long range handgunning in Elmer Keith country is a real treat.

Pure fun. Plus for me at least, it was a stress deliver, getting away from work and the associated drama that is attached to it.

It really was an excellent time.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I agree.

The perfect "all around" length.

I enjoy 4" guns for their ease in packing in a belt rig.
I enjoy the 6.5" guns for their ease in shooting.

The 5" N Frames seems to be the perfect balancing point between the two. The first time I shot one, I was hooked for life!

Kind of like redheads! wink

Ha! Redheads are more dangerous! grin

I spent an afternoon plinking in some big country with a .45 ACP is few months ago. Targets were ranged at 287, 340 and 744 yards. It was dry so I could see where the dust flew on impact. I've wondered what the drop was for PMC 230 grain ball at 744....I know it's, well, A LOT... laugh

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by RJM
I can only say THANKS to Mac for sharing his time with me... Also would like to say thanks to RGS for the week we spent traving in Oregon and for Idaho Shooter for taking me fishing up at the Deadwood over the Labor day weekend.... All these guys are GREAT people.

Am now at a long time friend's in Phoenix and will be hooking up with Ron this week for some more adventures...

It has been a great tiip made greater by the kindness of "strangers"....Bob

I am glad to have had the opportunity to meet and share some of our wonderful scenery with you. I only regret that we did not have more time to spend shooting.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Dave....don't worry...I am coming back to Idaho next year for a longer vacation so I'm sure we will be doing some more shooting then...

Just spent the week with Ron. We toured all week from Flagstaff on the Grand Canyon to Nogales on the Mexican border... His lovely and gracious wife made me feel like part of the family and always packed a great lunch and snacks. And of course everywere we traved he introduced me as his .41 Magnum Pusher...

Speaking of snacks, Dave's (Idaho Shooter) wife is a cook and baker extrordinaire. The pies and turnovers were great!! A desert of fresh baked cherry turnovers really puts the cap on a dinner of grilled fresh salmon and elk steaks....

Everyone including Mac's parents made me feel like part of the family...

So three more days at my friend's house in Chandler and then I head for "home"...for now...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by RJM
Dave....don't worry...I am coming back to Idaho next year for a longer vacation so I'm sure we will be doing some more shooting then...

Just spent the week with Ron. We toured all week from Flagstaff on the Grand Canyon to Nogales on the Mexican border... His lovely and gracious wife made me feel like part of the family and always packed a great lunch and snacks. And of course everywere we traved he introduced me as his .41 Magnum Pusher...

Speaking of snacks, Dave's (Idaho Shooter) wife is a cook and baker extrordinaire. The pies and turnovers were great!! A desert of fresh baked cherry turnovers really puts the cap on a dinner of grilled fresh salmon and elk steaks....

Everyone including Mac's parents made me feel like part of the family...

So three more days at my friend's house in Chandler and then I head for "home"...for now...

Bob

what he is kind of leaving out of this is his own self. My wife commented after he left today, what a good guy he was, praise that does not come lightly. Yeah, we did run all over the state, but he left out his basically buying all the gas. Never had someone do that before. He is welcome here at any time. A true gentlemen, and all that use to mean and still does in his case.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

231 members (2500HD, 257 mag, 160user, 1OntarioJim, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 21 invisible), 1,815 guests, and 989 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,372
Posts18,488,356
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.