Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I'm looking to buy a side by side UTV. Oklahoma ranch hunting and running around not worked too hard, just want to use something other than my FJ Cruiser.

I'm open to suggestions, currently considering the Arctic Cat, Kawasaki, Honda and possibly the Yamaha.

Based on this thread, and others, I don't think Polaris is on my radar.

Kubota

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
You all realize that internet tales of what is in the shop and what isn't are not verifiable and even if they were you're looking at a sample of a couple of machines that statistically is meaningless as far as brand reliability.

How about this. Why don't you all start acting like Americans instead of some import loving fools? You think you got a "reliable machine", when the reality is you sent your money overseas to help someone in a far off land while turning your backs on your fellow Americans. And then you come on here and crow about it? Fool.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by SEdge
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I'm looking to buy a side by side UTV. Oklahoma ranch hunting and running around not worked too hard, just want to use something other than my FJ Cruiser.

I'm open to suggestions, currently considering the Arctic Cat, Kawasaki, Honda and possibly the Yamaha.

Based on this thread, and others, I don't think Polaris is on my radar.

Kubota

How dare you come to this American internet site and recommend a foreign brand!! whistle

FJB & FJT
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sorry about that Chief.

Originally Posted By: P_Weed

I never met a gun I didn't like.

SEdge,

I have an AMT Hardballer I can fix you up with.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
But if I could have afforded a Kubota, that is what would be sitting at my house instead of my other jap junk Rhino. grin

FJB & FJT
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by walt501
You all realize that internet tales of what is in the shop and what isn't are not verifiable and even if they were you're looking at a sample of a couple of machines that statistically is meaningless as far as brand reliability.

How about this. Why don't you all start acting like Americans instead of some import loving fools? You think you got a "reliable machine", when the reality is you sent your money overseas to help someone in a far off land while turning your backs on your fellow Americans. And then you come on here and crow about it? Fool.

GFY.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

Campfire Regular
Online Happy
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by badger

GFY.

Proving, once again, that rolling the genetic dice with one's cousin is never a good idea.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Slow down and READ the title of this thread a few times.

FJB & FJT
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Polaris outsells the next closest 2 or 3 brands - combined.

I'd like some sources on that. The latest #s I could find was from 2002 and Polaris was #2 behind Honda and just ahead of Yamaha.

Honda 182,000
Polaris 157,700
Yamaha 145,600
Kawasaki 42,500
Artic Cat 42,500
Suzuki 30,300
Bombardier 5,700
Source: Ehlert Powersports Business

I don't know how Polaris could go from selling 157k units in 2002 and double that in 10 years go to selling more than 370k units which would be what Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki was selling. BACK then. Honda had a 15% lead on them. Are you arguing that in 10 years (ignoring any growth Honda may have had and they've had a bit) that Polaris made up that 15% and then quite a bit more?

I get growth but you can't assume that Honda and Yamaha aren't growing either. I don't really see Polaris kicking their butt to that degree, not against Yamaha and Honda. (Kawasaki maybe)

You're in MN - you're naturally going to see more Polaris product but don't assume what you see on the trail is indicative to the rest of the country.

I worked for a powersports dealer for a bit - Seeing what I saw there turned me off of Polaris for life.

Won't have one of any stripe. Neither will my friends and family. Some of them learned the hard way.

Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Polaris outsells the next closest 2 or 3 brands - combined. So, because you sell the most, you're also going to need the most repairs and you're going to have internet "experts" saying the product is inferior. But that really doesn't mean the product is flawed, it is just simple statistics combined with a product that is often not just used, but abused. Take, for example Japanese autos. Same story. Now that they sell in numbers equal to Detroit autos you see that they lead the roster in factory defects for the past several years. No surprise.

You know, it's bad enough that a few have to bad mouth a product that is made in the U.S. by a U.S. company, but now you're bad mouthing a company that builds their product in Minnesota. You might want to reconsider your position.

BS. One the other hand, my 500 Sportsman had the most comfortable ride and was able to climb [bleep] most people(in their right minds anyway) wouldn't try walking up. BUT, when it comes to reliability, Polaris doesn't match the JAP counterparts. We use ours (my friends that is) for hard use trail riding, not plowing a driveway, and the harder you use a Polaris, the more [bleep] starts breaking off and breaking down. That's not a guess, as I'll bet between myself and my riding buddies, we've owned over 50 quads. Polaris, Yamaha, Suzuki, one Honda, Can Am and a Bombardier. My friend split the frame on the brand new Bomber on the first ride (steering neck junction w/frame) but that was probably just a faulty weld.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
well some say that honda is the best. when we started trail riding the 20 plus guys had more hondas then anything else. in 3 years we had one. to many problems with the hondas and all but one have been sold. motors,transmissions,brakes it semms everything fell apart on the hondas. around 10 of them have been riding polaris sense then with only minor problems ,mostly plastic brakes from hitting things. my 07 polaris 500x2 has been a very good atv for trail use and snow plowing.i'd buy another one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by justin10mm
Originally Posted by Klikitarik

'11 Grizz 450 EPS

You really put the miles on them don't you. smile

9000 miles in 24 months is not a lot of miles. There are some here who do put miles on their machines.

BTW, I like Polaris as a brand in the rigs they started the company with: snow machines. No one buys a second Polaris ATV around here. They just can't compete valuewise. That's a shame, but it's reality. People don't like wasting money even if it is in America.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by srwshooter
well some say that honda is the best. when we started trail riding the 20 plus guys had more hondas then anything else. in 3 years we had one. to many problems with the hondas and all but one have been sold. motors,transmissions,brakes it semms everything fell apart on the hondas. around 10 of them have been riding polaris sense then with only minor problems ,mostly plastic brakes from hitting things. my 07 polaris 500x2 has been a very good atv for trail use and snow plowing.i'd buy another one.

You realize a kid might read that and not realize you're joking, don't ya?

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My vote is for Honda...nobody ever made another 4-wheeler as tough as those old 250's you used to see everywhere back in the late 80's to early 90's. I still see a few around that are still being ridden. Mine is an '04 Foreman with around 7000 miles on it. Ive wrecked it, flipped it, sunk it,and drug my 20 foot Skeeter around with it. Ive even drug a 16' flatbed out of the woods behind it loaded with firewood and its still running strong... though its not much to look at anymore.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Originally Posted by srwshooter

You realize a kid might read that and not realize you're joking, don't ya?

Laffin.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RRA223
My vote is for Honda...nobody ever made another 4-wheeler as tough as those old 250's you used to see everywhere back in the late 80's to early 90's. I still see a few around that are still being ridden. Mine is an '04 Foreman with around 7000 miles on it. Ive wrecked it, flipped it, sunk it,and drug my 20 foot Skeeter around with it. Ive even drug a 16' flatbed out of the woods behind it loaded with firewood and its still running strong... though its not much to look at anymore.

The sport quads like the 250R and the newer 450's are great and indestructible and a ton of fun to blast down fire roads with much like the Banshee and 700 Raptors.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by badger

GFY.

Proving, once again, that rolling the genetic dice with one's cousin is never a good idea.

Pray tell. Your stupidity is breathtaking, as is your misguided opinion. The numerous times that I've towed broken Rangers back to camp, and the equally numerous times I've spent working on them to try and get them mobile again, sometimes on my back in the mud, is no internet tale. Hard to be ra-ra-ra over a POS, and many Polaris owners will tell you themselves.

Must be tough to be a window licking union member. I spend my money where I'll see the best return, and if it happens to be a non American product, so be it. I will buy the product that is IMO, going to serve me best, and I won't be a schill for something that is sub-par, regardless of it's origin.

So, in my politest, gentlest manner, GFY!

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K

I bought Polaris because it is American made. I have had problems and it's a PITA when it breaks during hunting season. Mine has one specific design defect that they continue to ignore. I love the ride and the power, but I'm not buying another one. Ken

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a 2005 Polaris 700 EFI and my hunting buddy has a 2004 Polaris 700 EFI. Between us the only problem encountered was on his machine and turned out to be the very thin 3 wire cable that plugs into air intake. Wires are the size of small telephone wires and break from vibration. Symptoms were a rough idle and smoke out the exhaust pipe. Fixed mine before I had a problem. That's it, no complaints here about Polaris machines.

K
kend Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by TomA
I have a 2005 Polaris 700 EFI and my hunting buddy has a 2004 Polaris 700 EFI. Between us the only problem encountered was on his machine and turned out to be the very thin 3 wire cable that plugs into air intake. Wires are the size of small telephone wires and break from vibration. Symptoms were a rough idle and smoke out the exhaust pipe. Fixed mine before I had a problem. That's it, no complaints here about Polaris machines.

Barometric pressure sensor wires are jammed against the intake and wear until they break. There is no fix without redesign. I'm on my second one.

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

454 members (219 Wasp, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 16penny, 16gage, 51 invisible), 2,549 guests, and 1,257 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,831
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.