-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
Opinions on mixing CR10 copper solvent w/ Kanno Kroil?
Reason is that using CR10, pushing dry patches through bore to remove the CR10 the motion feels "sticky" as I push the patch through.
I do not feel this sticky resistance of the patched jag when using a solvent like Hoppes #9. Or if the patch is oiled. Feels smooth and slick.
Therefore, if adding Kroil to the CR10 this might allow the great copper removal the CR10 has, while allowing the smooth passage of a dry patch when removing the solvent.
Nuts? Does this make sense?

GOA
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I wouldn't add the Kroil to the CR10, Kroil is a penetrating oil and not as good a lubricant as some other oils.
CR10 has so much ammonia and other nasty stuff in it that causes the patch to be sticky .
When I used CR10, I used to push a lubed patch of G96 through the bore afterwards, but put up with the tight patches when first taking out the CR10.

Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
When you're done with CR-10 you could just run a patch with Hoppes or similar and then run your final dry patches. I use Butch's Bore Shine first then follow up with CR-10, and always get extra copper with CR-10, but it is smelly.

"Blessed is the man whose wife is his best friend - especially if she likes to HUNT!"

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength, and love your neighbor as yourself. There is no commandment greater than these."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I push a patch soaked with kroil down the tube and allow to sit for 30 to 60 min. Kroil will actually loosen the fouling.
I then run a couple of dry patches down the tube. Then run a couple with CR10 and allow to sit for 10 min. I don't seem to get the stickies that you mention.

Try just running a few soaked patches of Kroil, refresh after 60 min. let sit 2 hours total. If copper is in there the patch will come out green.

Swifty
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I used to buy Kroil by the gallon for penetrating oil and find it useful - we often cut Kroil with cheaper kerosene/diesel for a carrier. There are some known good combinations with Kroil for gun maintenance. Still Kroil has been associated with some issues with precision flats so I think it has some active ingredients. Anything strong enough to do the job is likely strong enough to do some damage abused.

Given that modern gun cleaning, lubricating and protecting combinations are a witches brew of active ingredients I do fear and I do mean fear ad hoc combinations - much like mixing household cleansers that contain ammonia and chlorine bleach to give phosgene I fear unknown combinations (ammonia combinations for copper removal and chlorinated hydrocarbons in assorted spray cleaners and scrubbers).

Moreover I believe it is possible to do nasty things to a barrel as well as potentially to the lungs by leaving a little bit of one product in the barrel followed by a wet mop or spray of another product with an incompatible active ingredient(s).

Mostly I stick with a family of products in the hope the maker has tested combinations or in the alternative wait, drain, dry patch between products as I feel appropriate.

Mostly I'll leave the fancy cleaning combinations - Mercury Quicksilver was once a popular carbon cleaner - to folks with real time pressure between stages. Myself I'll let a safe cleaner soak a while even overnight (some copper cleaners I won't leave unattended though) and let the chemical do the work instead of scrubbing. And I do have a Hawkeye borescope looking forward to the day Harbor Freight has a video display at half the Gradient price.

IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by ClarkEMyers
I used to buy Kroil by the gallon for penetrating oil and find it useful - we often cut Kroil with cheaper kerosene/diesel for a carrier. There are some known good combinations with Kroil for gun maintenance. Still Kroil has been associated with some issues with precision flats so I think it has some active ingredients. Anything strong enough to do the job is likely strong enough to do some damage abused.

Given that modern gun cleaning, lubricating and protecting combinations are a witches brew of active ingredients I do fear and I do mean fear ad hoc combinations - much like mixing household cleansers that contain ammonia and chlorine bleach to give phosgene I fear unknown combinations (ammonia combinations for copper removal and chlorinated hydrocarbons in assorted spray cleaners and scrubbers).

Moreover I believe it is possible to do nasty things to a barrel as well as potentially to the lungs by leaving a little bit of one product in the barrel followed by a wet mop or spray of another product with an incompatible active ingredient(s).

Mostly I stick with a family of products in the hope the maker has tested combinations or in the alternative wait, drain, dry patch between products as I feel appropriate.

Mostly I'll leave the fancy cleaning combinations - Mercury Quicksilver was once a popular carbon cleaner - to folks with real time pressure between stages. Myself I'll let a safe cleaner soak a while even overnight (some copper cleaners I won't leave unattended though) and let the chemical do the work instead of scrubbing. And I do have a Hawkeye borescope looking forward to the day Harbor Freight has a video display at half the Gradient price.

PLUS 1000

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Clark,

Good post!

Al

Spend your life wisely.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by ClarkEMyers

When I read this post my first thought was, Ramblings and musing's of lunacy.....

Then PLUS1000... then Good Post...

Then it turned into Comedy grin smile laugh

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by TooDogs
Opinions on mixing CR10 copper solvent w/ Kanno Kroil?

Does this make sense?
NO !!!!!!!!!!!

Mixing CR10 with Kroil is like mixing Republicans with Democrats

It is hard enough to get them to do anything alone...mix them together and nothing good happens !!!!!!!!!

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
This works with Shooters Choice.

Marvel Mystery Oil

Glenn

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for the feedback guys.
The sticky patch is what I wonder about, why this happens. Shooters choice copper solvent also gives me a similar sticky patch. Not as noticable as CR10 though.

When I have lots of time, days, I'll let #9 in a bore for 12+ hours to remove copper. This works good for me, but slowwwwwww.

I do the JB too, then patch w/#9 to clean up bore.

I agree with the post above to be careful mixing concoctions that could be caustic and might etch metal.

Might be I should call Barnes and ask them about the sticky patch w/CR10.

GOA
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Spray Wipeout in and let sit overnight.Run a half dozen patches through the next day and the barrel is clean.It just does not get much simpler than that.Just did that on my 475 Linebaugh that was so leaded you could not see the grooves in the barrel.Guess I need gas checks.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
This is the way I'd go--or with one of the Montana X-Treme cleaners. Don't see any reason to dink around with "maybe" mixes when so many of today's products already combine so many great characteristics.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
bore tech eliminator

is that extra 25fps worth detonation?
NRA life member
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Don't let any ammonia based product dry in the bore, that's when it can etch the barrel. If you feel the need to leave it refresh with wet patches every half hour or whenever it is needed to keep it wet.

I do mix Kroil & Shooters choice but that mix has been used by bench rest shooters for a long time with no adverse affects.

Just need to use up all my old cleaning products so I can join the modern world with the foam cleaners.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

380 members (163bc, 257 mag, 10ring1, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 160user, 40 invisible), 2,014 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,334
Posts18,505,991
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.