-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 25 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 24 25
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
We had our first frost here last night. Squirrels are unprotected here, so the deadly harvest will soon begin! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
ingwe, time for some chowder, just sayin'........grin

maddog

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I just finished up the last of mine...but I make it with chicken. I swear squirrel meat is too good to throw in any kind of soup, even what I label as " The World's Best Soup"

However I got a question ....the older tougher squirrels...use them in the chowder?

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Yeah, I use the old geezers in the chowder. When I freeze mine, I Mark the pkg. Y or O. I use up all the old squirrels in the chowder. I pressure cook em at 10 lbs. for 30 mins. One time I did that, and after 30 mins, he was still too tough to bone out. He went in the waste basket..... sick grin

I did some yougsters here a couple wks. ago. Put em on at 9am in the crockpot. Covered them with Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. Ate em at 6 pm. You could suck the meat right off the bone....they were great!

maddog

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by ilikemilitaria
I tried a new woods this morning that I got permission to hunt in, and was in the woods by 5:45 or so... A little early, but nothing like being there at that time of the day.

About 6:15 things started to wake up and from about 6:30 to 7:40 I had my limit of 5 and hadnt moved more than 50ft. I saw at least 15. Took 2 fox and 3 greys. This woods is really thick with squirrels smile
dave

Dave...congrats on the new spot, we always love finding good squirrel woods here...

they cutting acorns/hickory nuts in your area pretty heavy now?

============================================================

IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Originally Posted by FyrepowrX
Originally Posted by ilikemilitaria
I tried a new woods this morning that I got permission to hunt in, and was in the woods by 5:45 or so... A little early, but nothing like being there at that time of the day.

About 6:15 things started to wake up and from about 6:30 to 7:40 I had my limit of 5 and hadnt moved more than 50ft. I saw at least 15. Took 2 fox and 3 greys. This woods is really thick with squirrels smile
dave

Dave...congrats on the new spot, we always love finding good squirrel woods here...

they cutting acorns/hickory nuts in your area pretty heavy now?

They were busy tearing up hickories and pecans. Crows were working the pecan trees also..

Yep, I hope I can keep hunting this place, it has lots of really BIG, OLD nut trees of all kinds.. Havent been in a woods this nice for squirrels for several years. I lost all my "big woods" places when the strip mines removed much of the woods in our county, and also lost some spots with ownership changing hands..

I've been trying to find some private land for quite some time for squirrel and deer.

dave

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Congrats on the new place Dave! Get places to squirrel hunt, in my area, is easy, it's getting new deer hunting places that's a biotch...... At 62 1/2, I'm having so much fun squirrel hunting, and deer hunting is getting to be a PITA, not sure how many more years I'm going to stay after the deer. If it wasn't for my son coming home to go deer hunting with me, I might give it up now.

maddog

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I thought the same way when my Dad passed, dawg. Don't give it up. After a week of mourning with my wife over the passing of her sweet Mother...I think tomorrow morning would be a good time for a walk in the woods. Like someone else posted...it might be "our last hunt".

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You guys are making me feel jealous and lazy! I need to get back after 'em. Mr. Man (my 6 yo) asked if he could shoot one with my 10/22. He's used to a red dot, so that's what I'd like to put on it. Any suggesstions for ones that will fit the dovetail? I know I can put a weaver rail on it, but would rather not...

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Beautiful Fall morning here. Finally got a chance to hit it again, with an old friend. Old Springfield 16ga. double with 1964 Peters #5s

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by pointer
You guys are making me feel jealous and lazy! I need to get back after 'em. Mr. Man (my 6 yo) asked if he could shoot one with my 10/22. He's used to a red dot, so that's what I'd like to put on it. Any suggesstions for ones that will fit the dovetail? I know I can put a weaver rail on it, but would rather not...

Tasco makes one for about$ 39.99 that will fit the 3/8 in rail...looks like this....

[Linked Image]

Also weaver makes a rail for about $8 that will accept either the .22 size or the standard weaver ring stuff...

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Nice pic of the ole gun. Not sure when I'm getting out again, weather is really supposed to heat up, then rain thurs., fri., and sat........

maddog

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe

Tasco makes one for about$ 39.99 that will fit the 3/8 in rail...looks like this....

[Linked Image]

Also weaver makes a rail for about $8 that will accept either the .22 size or the standard weaver ring stuff...
That'd be perfect! I'll see if I can find one. Thanks. Hopefully will have pics of Mr. Man sometime to share.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

[Linked Image]

Good shooting. Gonna make a stew? grin

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by maddog
Nice pic of the ole gun. Not sure when I'm getting out again, weather is really supposed to heat up, then rain thurs., fri., and sat........

maddog

Same weather forecast here. I'll probably lay off the limb chickens until the leaves are off and we get some snow on the ground. I have enough in the freezer for a couple batches of chowder.. wink

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Just finished a batch of chowder, and ate a bowl hot off the stove. Even Dexter the dog likes it. Now if I could just get mama to taste it..... wink All she thinks of is tree rats....just sayin' grin

maddog

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Made a batch yesterday afternoon, and had it for supper last night. My wife and daughter absolutely love it! I added some sliced mushrooms to the mix.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Thought about the mushrooms, but didn't have any. Next batch. Here's a pic of ole Dexter slurping up some LCC.....grin

[Linked Image]

maddog

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Smart pup! grin Kinda resembles the guys at the firehouse when I bring some in for dinner... wink

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by schoolmarm

[Linked Image]

Good shooting. Gonna make a stew? grin

Out here we call it "Ground Chicken Chowder"....... whistle

Page 6 of 25 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (204guy, 12344mag, 257wthbylover, 10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 19rabbit52, 59 invisible), 2,248 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,505
Posts18,509,229
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.