Home
Not the best pic due to using the cell phone. My buddy and I had a great morning in the woods. I know....we suck... grin

[Linked Image]

Will that work, Mdog?? wink
crap! "suck" doesn't have cover it bud.

Is that a limit in your area?

You will be eating well this weekend.

Oh yeah, you suck 3x (at least). smile
Squirrel gravy and cat head biscuits. Life is good.
Originally Posted by BrentD
crap! "suck" doesn't have cover it bud.

Is that a limit in your area?

You will be eating well this weekend.

Oh yeah, you suck 3x (at least). smile

The daily possession limit in Indiana is 5. We could have doubled that this morning. You could almost call this property "infested". grin

Yep,,,,life is good!
Very nice! It looks like I'll be giving them a try this weekend. If I even see that many squirrels I'll be happy (will have a 6yo in tow). Wish where I was going had more fox squirrels, but it's mostly grays. If I can get a squirrel or two and catch a few fish it'll be a good weekend.
You boys are off to a better start than me. Got to the woods, and was hunting by 7:30 am. Over the course of 4 hrs., I saw 4 squirrels, got shots at 3 and killed 2. Unfortunately, the second on fell straight out of the tree and rolled down a steep hillside, and I lost him. frown . So the day ended with one...but it was a head shot. grin It'll be a long season, and I'm taking a buddy hunting tomorrow, and I think I'll hunt Sat. if my back/feet hold up.

[Linked Image]

he looks like a fox squirrel in the pic, but it was a gray. Had a helluva set of family jewels on him. grin

maddog
The other thing I noticed, was the squirrels don't seem to be cutting that many nuts yet. Them boogers were scurrying around so much, it's a wonder I got what I got. grin

oh yeah batchief, before I forget it, you DO suck...just sayin'... grin

maddog
That's a big old gray! Keep after 'em, but don't hurt yourself doing it. It's a long season. Congrats! We were using scatter-guns..a 20 and a 410. The trees are so thick and the scurrying is an understatement. They haven't started on the hickory down this way yet. Beech seems to be the treat right now. As soon as the leaves start falling, I'll break the CZ out.

Anybody heard from Ingwe yet? grin
Thanks for the info guys! I saw some hickory cuttings two weekends ago. We've got a few very large beeches on one hill that I'll definitely be checking out. Now I just have to decide if I take the 20 or the 12!
Heading out in about an hr. or so, for round two. grin

maddog
yeah me too, work that is. YUCK
Originally Posted by maddog
Heading out in about an hr. or so, for round two. grin

maddog

I may head back out Monday morning, since I'll be at the firehouse Saturday and don't get off work until 0700 Sunday. Heading to the store in a bit for the Limb Chicken Chowder fixins. wink

Jeff
Just got back from one of my fox squirrel woods. Nailed 2 with two head shots. The squirrels still aren't working the nuts to speak of, in my area.

[Linked Image]

maddog
Good shooting! They are just starting to cut good down here. Seems like everything is late in getting started this year. Hopefully they will turn on to the hickory soon.

Got a big pot of chowder started here. Just waiting on the pressure cooker to beep... grin
Into the pot it goes.....

[Linked Image]

And the end result....just for a little inspiration. grin

[Linked Image]

You go buddy! That looks awesome. grin Gotta get 5-7 more to make the 1st batch for the fall season!

maddog
You DO realize I hate you for posting this recipe,,,,right?? grin
Well, I'm heading out in about 45 minutes. Third day in a row chasin' limb chickens. This will probably be it until late next week[gotta get back to work and it's gonna get hot/humid]. Got enough places to go, that the tough part is deciding where. Also, to me it's amazing, very few mosquitoes.

maddog
Well, just got back. Hit a little 6 acre patch that is full of hickories. No sooner than stepped in the woods, and had one barking. Slipped down through the woods and set up behind an oak. Boy, here he come, racing through the tree tops to see what I was. He got so close I had to free hand him, and it turned in to a heart/lunger. Definately a kamikaze squirrel....grin

[Linked Image]

Sat for a few minutes, and heard a squirrel barking on the north side of the woods. As I was working that way, one whooshed a branch in a hickory right above me. I payed ring around the rosie with that lil booger for 30 mins. Shot at him THREE times and missed every shot.... frown Got in too dam*ed big a hurry.

Went on and redeemed myself with a head shot on one eating a hickory nut. Went to pick him up, and the ground was covered with cuttings. First I'd seen this year.

[Linked Image]

All in all, I ended up with 3 for the day.

[Linked Image]

That will be it for a few days, til the boy comes up to go hunting with the ole man, next thurs.

maddog

You suck...
Bout time you showed up.....whistle grin

maddog
Originally Posted by ingwe
You suck...

sho' does..
another month and a half till ours opens. These yard skwerls are looking mighty tempting..
Yard skwerls is all I got. I get to eat them, but I dont get to hunt them......
Headed back out in the morning to trim up some branches blocking trails. May have to take the .22 along just in case.
No luck for me this morning. Woods were unusually quiet. My buddy knocked 2 down with his 410.
My son is coming up from Indy, tomorrow for his first hunt of the season. Supposed to be hot, so we're gonna be out there at day light.

maddog
Good luck! Hunting with your son is good enough reason to hit the woods again. Gonna be too hot for me for awhile. Indy's weather forecast looks favorable next week. Maybe they will be on the Hickory by then.
Boy should be here in 20 min., gonna give it a try. Hot, muggy, and 70 degrees already. It sprinkled a while ago, but hopefully the rain holds off for 3 hrs., so we can get a hunt in. Later.

maddog
good luck on your hunt with your son. Doesn't get any better..
I used to think my dad was bad at hunting squirrels or that he only took me to bad spots as we didn't get all that many when I was a youngster. After this weekend, I've convinced it wasn't either of those things... I took my 6yo down to our cabin for a bit of a Cast and Blast weekend. We were much more successfull with the casting, but had fun nonetheless. Saturday morning we stumbled into a hickory with 3 squirrels cutting nuts. I got one and the other two started barking. Probably could have gotten another except for the, "Did we get one dad!!". laugh Saw a few more that morning and again that evening, but couldn't close the deal.

Here's Mr. Man with 'our' skweril...
[Linked Image]

Later that morning we hit up a nearby farm pond for some fishing. Mr. Man and his cousin were putting a clinic on me on catching the fish! It was hard to keep my line in the water as to the baiting of hooks and unhooking of fish. Mr. Man finally got tired of waiting on my and started taking them off his self! Couple we kept were a bit small, but has swallered the hook so I cleaned 'em anyway.
[Linked Image]

We didn't have much time (about 45mins) to fish on Sunday, but we made the best of it and added a few more to the freezer! He's very much looking forward to having them for dinner this weekend!
[Linked Image]

We spent some time mid-day working on our marksmanship with various weapons. First out were the bows! Due to eye dominance, Dad really needs to get Mr. Man a lefty, but we had fun any who...
[Linked Image]

Then we broke out the pellet gun! (He'll correct you if you call it a BB gun). From a youngster till now I had taught him to hold guns right handed as I figured he was. However, since Christmas it's been made abundantly clear that he's left eye dominant, so now we're working on shooting lefty! With the red dot he does pretty good! He didn't like the 'bench' I set up for him as he wanted to shoot offhand, but soon realized hitting targest are more fun!
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Mom and Little Brother weren't around so we did other 'Man Stuff' like make fires and stay up late!
[img]http://i29.photobucket.com/alb...9-0000021B967CD1EA_zps0149baad.jpg[/img]

Dad forgot the chocolate and grahams for 'smores, but a roasted marshmellow between two triple chocolate cookies fit the bill!! laugh
[img]http://i29.photobucket.com/alb...9-0000021BA5B48390_zpsa92471a1.jpg[/img]
Great weekend! Looking forward to the next one...

PS- Sorry about the pseudo hijack!
Great post! Thanks for sharing! It doesn't get much better than this!! ^^^^^^^^
Pointer, I thank you for those pics of your "little man". My little man is nearly 40 now and I miss those days. Thanks again..
pointer, awesome pics and post! I hunted thurs. with my "little man", cept he's 31 and married now! grin

It was rainy, warm, and windy, but we had a good time. Each got one, shoulda had 5 between us if we'd been shooting straight.

[Linked Image]

my "little man". Been hunting with me since he was 10 yo.

[Linked Image]

the one I finally clobbered. At least it was a head shot....

maddog
maddog- NICE!!
The one thing I love about getting old...I havent hunted squirrels in almost 40 years, but as I remember, I never missed one..... whistle
ingwe, yer a legend in yer own mind....just sayin'.....whistle grin

maddog
The one thing I love about getting old...I havent hunted squirrels in almost 40 years, but as I remember, I never missed one..... whistle

What the heck did you hunt with an 8ga? grin
Originally Posted by schoolmarm

What the heck did you hunt with an 8ga? grin

Mobile Punt Gun......ohhhh...and some Claymores grin
good comeback..
Gonna be hotter than H this next week. Prolly no more limb chicken huntin' til labor day weekend.

maddog
was working on some trails and saw where the squirrels are cutting pine cones like there's no tomorrow.
Squirrels. What that? grin
Originally Posted by kawi
Squirrels. What that? grin

my mistake, skwerls... grin
Well, if it doesn't rain, I'm gonna hunt Sat., Sun., and Mon., mornings. Need ta get caught up on some limb chickens! grin

maddog
Looking like maybe Tuesday morning for me. Temps are predicted to cool down a tad.
Headin' out the door, in about an hour, to give it a try. Kinda warm out, but I have a small grove of hickories I'm going to check, first thing.

maddog
Squirrels weren't moving this am. Heard two, saw two, shot at one, and hit a limb..... frown ...oh well. Gonna try a new woods tomorrow.

maddog
Went hunting with the boy, yesterday. At least the sun shined and it wasn't nearly as muggy. New place, with all kinds of wildlife. Deer, turkeys, coons, ducks, geese, and skads of squirrels! Squirrels were wilder than march hares, but I did finally manage to dumb into two. grin

[Linked Image]

maddog
Forgot to mention, when I was picking the second squirrel up off the ground, two hen turkeys, hiding in some tall weeds about 10 ft. from me, erupted out of the grass, flying off. I about peed my pants, then laughed my azz off! eek grin

maddog
Forgot to mention, when I was picking the second squirrel up off the ground, two hen turkeys, hiding in some tall weeds about 10 ft. from me, erupted out of the grass, flying off. I about peed my pants, then laughed my azz off! eek grin

maddog

Been there, "feet don't fail me time". Got a month before ours opens..

maddog

Good going! I went this morning....saw 2 and got one. Kinda breezy and they weren't moving! Oh well,,it's early yet.
You guys all suck, I can't kill a squirrel legally until October!
Better the me I simply can't find one.
Went yesterday, saw a bunch of squirrels, but they were all moving fast. Had one pinned down in a pignut hickory, and....missed him! frown. Don't know if it's me, my danged bi focals or the scope...but I took the Hubel scope[as ingwe calls it] off the rifle and replaced it with a fixed 4x leupold with lower rings. Going out tthis pm and sight it in, and give it a shot thurs., sat., and sun. If that don't work, I'm going in to get my eyes checked, next week[I'm over due]. Gonna be hotter than H for the next 3 days, then finally cool off. Stay tuned......grin

maddog
I'm suspending my squirrel season for the next couple of weekends. Got a date with, hopefully, three speedgoats! laugh

Remember to take the shotguns with you squirrel hunting in Oct. as you'll be able to shoot turkeys too!! laugh
pointer, sorry buddy, but in my county them turkeys are archery only... Did see a helluva gobbler I kicked off the roost Sun. am.

maddog
Well there goes that plan. Sounds like you need one of those 10-22 arrow barrels... laugh
[Linked Image]

Gonna try it again this weekend (Sunday). Getting some much needed rain and the temps are supposed to drop. We'll see!
Originally Posted by pointer
Well there goes that plan. Sounds like you need one of those 10-22 arrow barrels... laugh
[Linked Image]

SWEEEEET! You could use the 10/22 to drill pilot holes in deer, then use thearrow barrel to kill them legally in archery season!
Got out the last 2 days to hunt. Yesterday with my son, and today by myself. Despite the wet muggy weather, Dan and I did ok yesterday.

[Linked Image]

1st one was a big ole fox squirrel. From the size of them jewels, he musta been drawing Social Security.! Dan nailed a coupla grays, and we moved on to another woods.

I got just my second gray, so far this year.

[Linked Image]

Dan nailed these 2 grays. One was almost a 60 yd. shot!

[Linked Image]

I went this am, by myself, and nailed this one, with one shot.

[Linked Image]

Dropped another one, with what I thought was a solid lung shot. Heard him hit the ground, with a solid thump. Went to pick him up, and he was no where to be found! frown Musta been a zombie squill.....just sayin....grin

maddog

a little jealous MD but my son and I are getting after them teal birds tomorrow an that'll ease the pain. I've gotta get one of those NEF .22s.
I LOVE the little H&R Sportster. Better start looking soon, they don't seem to be all that plentiful.

maddog
Yesterday, before I left to go hunting, I put about 10 pieces of squirrel in a crockpot and smothered them with Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. Cooked em on low for about 9 hrs. Had them for supper last night along with cottage cheese, and a big ole ripe mater...it don't get any better than this. Haven't had time to make any limb chicken chowder, yet, but that's comin' up in the next few weeks.

maddog
MD, I can't wait to make your limb chicken chowder. While my son and I were teal hunting yesterday, I told him about it. He said let's get an early start on the yard skwerls. grin
Went out this am for a short hunt. First place I stopped, I got halfway back in the woods and saw a trailer you'd pull behind a 4 wheeler. I knew there were some guys getting ready to bowhunt there[saw 3 stands up], so I backed out and went to another woods.

Hadn't been in the next place 5 mins., and saw a squirrel move, high in a cottonwood. Moved in a little closer, and looking thru the scope, I could just make out his head and ears, facing away from me. Lined up the scope, had a solid rest, and pop.....thump when he hit the ground. No family jewels pic, but he's every bit as big as the one above. Good guess would be 2 1/2 lbs.+ Definately chowder material and not a fryer! grin

[Linked Image]

Here's a little closer pic of the ole boy.

[Linked Image]

maddog
Had squirrel gravy and biscuits for breakfast this morning but those were last season's squirrels. WV's season opened yesterday but I hung stands for bowhunting instead of tree rat hunting. Did carry a 22 pistol though "just in case" but never ran across a donor. I don't get amped for squirrel hunting until the leaves start changing color here though.
Well, I'm probably done for a week/10days....duty calls.....grin

maddog
Congrats on the limb chickens! I was planning on going this morning, but had some other things get in the way. Looking at Wednesday morning.
I dont think Im going to come and go squirrel hunting with you Mike...You'll have them all killed by the time I get there!!
Nah, I've missed half as manyas I've kilt.....They just will have been educated....just sayin...whistle grin

maddog
What is this 'miss' you speak of? I am unfamiliar with the concept.... whistle
You get back here and hunt them little boogers in trees fulla leaves, and I think you'll begin to understand the "concept"....wink grin

maddog

I'll play.......

Wis season opened on Sat, so I took the new Stiller out to play. Farted around for a couple of hours, and never saw a single willing participant. Damn there's a lot of leaves out there....

Got rained out on Sun, so I gave it another go this AM. Finally found four, and gave two a lobotomy.

Tonight I'm going to MAKE A HELL-OF-A-MESS in the kitchen, fried squirble, mashed taters, and made from scratch gravy, lumps and all. Nobody call, as I won't be able to get outta the chair.....

[Linked Image]
Dats a classy lookin' little skwerl rifle! grin
That IS a great looking rifle, what are the details?
Yes, very purty rifle....tell us more about that little gem.

maddog
Yes, very purty rifle....tell us more about that little gem.

This one.....parts menu are down the thread a bit.....

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/7740073/Last_One#Post7740073
Sweeeet!
We had a helluva storm last night, but it had quit by 5 am. Called my son and let him know. He headed up from Indy. Time he got to the house, it was raining again, so we headed uptown for some breakfast. Time we got done and headed to the woods, it had quit. Took him to another new woods I hadn't hunted in years. We weren't in the woods more than 5 minutes and I saw him line up to shoot. He shot, then I shot, and the squirrel fell out of the tree. We kinda collaborated on that 1st one. I started walking away, and he lined up and shot another one!

[Linked Image]

pic of his first one.

I eased on down through the woods, and heard one barking. Eased up on the lil booger, and popped him.

[Linked Image]

Went on and heard some more barking. I never saw another one. Dan fired at a couple more and missed. Oh well, we've all had days like that, cept for ingwe.......whistle grin

Had a great time with my son, this morning. Gonna hit it a lick over the weekend.

maddog
We've got one more big batch of storms to roll through yet, then a few days of spectacular weather for bushy slaying.

I think Imma gonna give the Buckmark with the 2X Loophole a go....should be quite sporty....

This mornings hunt went 100%....no survivors...

[Linked Image]
Good shootin' aalf!!

I went out this am, but got a late start. Got to the woods, and heard several barking. Only actually saw two, and collected one.

[Linked Image]

maddog
Ya done OK too. I think 50% kill vs spotted is pretty good with the leaf cover going on right now.

I went out Friday afternoon for a couple of hours and went oh for 3.
Sat. morning I was 0 for 4.....we must be running the same mindset...just sayin' grin

maddog
this morning...
[Linked Image]
Show off.....nice job.

Is that an 3x9 EFR?
Originally Posted by aalf
Show off.....nice job.
Is that an 3x9 EFR?

it is indeed, parked on a CZ452 style in 22LR. new rifle for me sort of...i picked it up last year but didnt get to hunt with it; took it to the range a couple times & found it shot CCI subsonic HPs really well. yesterday was its first day in the field.

couple more pics:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by FyrepowrX
Originally Posted by aalf
Is that an 3x9 EFR?

it is indeed,

Thanks...I'm in the market for another scope, and have it narrowed down to the EFR or 4x12 AO, which I'd send it back to get the parallax reset to 10 yd.
i shoot the 4x12AO on a browning T-bolt .22, and a remmy 541T.

as a comparison of the 2 scopes, to my eyeball the 4x12AO is less critical of head position/eye relief, but the 3-9 does look a bit better on trim rifles, and if its going on a rifle with low comb height it doesnt require the taller rings that might impede getting a better cheek weld as opposed to going with the larger 4x12....

i kinda wish leupold would offer a 4.5-14xEFR.

Caught up with work, and the farmers are all in the fields around here. Gonna leave in about an hr. to go hunting this am. Bow season opens next week, and most of the woods are full of tree stands. Going to have to hunt mornings, on weekdays to keep from bumping into them.

maddog
Hit a woods I hadn't been in, yet this year. Squirrels moving everywhere. Dumbed up my first shot....to dang big a hurry. Messed around for the better part of 3 hrs, and managed to get three....

[Linked Image]

All three were big males. I think I've only shot 4-5 females, all the rest have been males, and some had some age on em.... grin

maddog
Chowder material for sure! Good going!
Runnin' out of freezer room, gonna have to make some chowder purty soon.....grin

maddog
Haven't been out in awhile here due to family issues. MIL passed Sunday....and I need to get back into the woods.
Runnin' out of freezer room, gonna have to make some chowder purty soon.....grin

maddog

You suck.....
Originally Posted by Batchief909
Haven't been out in awhile here due to family issues. MIL passed Sunday....and I need to get back into the woods.

Bummer...hunting's a great mind straightener...get at it.

maddog

You suck.....

+1...
i shoot the 4x12AO on a browning T-bolt .22, and a remmy 541T.

as a comparison of the 2 scopes, to my eyeball the 4x12AO is less critical of head position/eye relief, but the 3-9 does look a bit better on trim rifles, and if its going on a rifle with low comb height it doesnt require the taller rings that might impede getting a better cheek weld as opposed to going with the larger 4x12....

i kinda wish leupold would offer a 4.5-14xEFR.

Missed this earlier.....

I agree totally on your EFR looks and eye box assessment, but I have no problem with cheek weld on 12X with my Classic stock and medium Talleys. I'd like to put the 3x9 EFR on the Stiller for a trimmer look, but have seen the same issues with a previous one, and the same with any of the past compacts I've had.

I just got off the horn with Leupold, as I had a mitt full of questions. First off, if you have them change the parallax closer on the 4x12, you really will lose it on the top end, maybe 100 yards max, give or take. Plus, they might only be able to go down to 20 yards. So there goes that thought for me.

I think I'm going to get the matte 4x12 AO fine duplex with the CDS turret and have a MOA dial cut for it, and hope that scope focuses closer than it should...fingers crossed....
I tried a new woods this morning that I got permission to hunt in, and was in the woods by 5:45 or so... A little early, but nothing like being there at that time of the day.

About 6:15 things started to wake up and from about 6:30 to 7:40 I had my limit of 5 and hadnt moved more than 50ft. I saw at least 15. Took 2 fox and 3 greys. This woods is really thick with squirrels smile

I sure hope I get to go back before deer season takes it's toll with traffic.

Had a great hunt.

dave
We had our first frost here last night. Squirrels are unprotected here, so the deadly harvest will soon begin! laugh
ingwe, time for some chowder, just sayin'........grin

maddog
I just finished up the last of mine...but I make it with chicken. I swear squirrel meat is too good to throw in any kind of soup, even what I label as " The World's Best Soup"

However I got a question ....the older tougher squirrels...use them in the chowder?
Yeah, I use the old geezers in the chowder. When I freeze mine, I Mark the pkg. Y or O. I use up all the old squirrels in the chowder. I pressure cook em at 10 lbs. for 30 mins. One time I did that, and after 30 mins, he was still too tough to bone out. He went in the waste basket..... sick grin

I did some yougsters here a couple wks. ago. Put em on at 9am in the crockpot. Covered them with Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. Ate em at 6 pm. You could suck the meat right off the bone....they were great!

maddog
Originally Posted by ilikemilitaria
I tried a new woods this morning that I got permission to hunt in, and was in the woods by 5:45 or so... A little early, but nothing like being there at that time of the day.

About 6:15 things started to wake up and from about 6:30 to 7:40 I had my limit of 5 and hadnt moved more than 50ft. I saw at least 15. Took 2 fox and 3 greys. This woods is really thick with squirrels smile
dave

Dave...congrats on the new spot, we always love finding good squirrel woods here...

they cutting acorns/hickory nuts in your area pretty heavy now?
Originally Posted by ilikemilitaria

dave

Dave...congrats on the new spot, we always love finding good squirrel woods here...

they cutting acorns/hickory nuts in your area pretty heavy now?

They were busy tearing up hickories and pecans. Crows were working the pecan trees also..

Yep, I hope I can keep hunting this place, it has lots of really BIG, OLD nut trees of all kinds.. Havent been in a woods this nice for squirrels for several years. I lost all my "big woods" places when the strip mines removed much of the woods in our county, and also lost some spots with ownership changing hands..

I've been trying to find some private land for quite some time for squirrel and deer.

dave
Congrats on the new place Dave! Get places to squirrel hunt, in my area, is easy, it's getting new deer hunting places that's a biotch...... At 62 1/2, I'm having so much fun squirrel hunting, and deer hunting is getting to be a PITA, not sure how many more years I'm going to stay after the deer. If it wasn't for my son coming home to go deer hunting with me, I might give it up now.

maddog
I thought the same way when my Dad passed, dawg. Don't give it up. After a week of mourning with my wife over the passing of her sweet Mother...I think tomorrow morning would be a good time for a walk in the woods. Like someone else posted...it might be "our last hunt".
You guys are making me feel jealous and lazy! I need to get back after 'em. Mr. Man (my 6 yo) asked if he could shoot one with my 10/22. He's used to a red dot, so that's what I'd like to put on it. Any suggesstions for ones that will fit the dovetail? I know I can put a weaver rail on it, but would rather not...
Beautiful Fall morning here. Finally got a chance to hit it again, with an old friend. Old Springfield 16ga. double with 1964 Peters #5s

[Linked Image]
You guys are making me feel jealous and lazy! I need to get back after 'em. Mr. Man (my 6 yo) asked if he could shoot one with my 10/22. He's used to a red dot, so that's what I'd like to put on it. Any suggesstions for ones that will fit the dovetail? I know I can put a weaver rail on it, but would rather not...

Tasco makes one for about$ 39.99 that will fit the 3/8 in rail...looks like this....

[Linked Image]

Also weaver makes a rail for about $8 that will accept either the .22 size or the standard weaver ring stuff...
Nice pic of the ole gun. Not sure when I'm getting out again, weather is really supposed to heat up, then rain thurs., fri., and sat........

maddog

Tasco makes one for about$ 39.99 that will fit the 3/8 in rail...looks like this....

[Linked Image]

Also weaver makes a rail for about $8 that will accept either the .22 size or the standard weaver ring stuff...
That'd be perfect! I'll see if I can find one. Thanks. Hopefully will have pics of Mr. Man sometime to share.

[Linked Image]

Good shooting. Gonna make a stew? grin
Nice pic of the ole gun. Not sure when I'm getting out again, weather is really supposed to heat up, then rain thurs., fri., and sat........

maddog

Same weather forecast here. I'll probably lay off the limb chickens until the leaves are off and we get some snow on the ground. I have enough in the freezer for a couple batches of chowder.. wink
Just finished a batch of chowder, and ate a bowl hot off the stove. Even Dexter the dog likes it. Now if I could just get mama to taste it..... wink All she thinks of is tree rats....just sayin' grin

maddog
Made a batch yesterday afternoon, and had it for supper last night. My wife and daughter absolutely love it! I added some sliced mushrooms to the mix.
Thought about the mushrooms, but didn't have any. Next batch. Here's a pic of ole Dexter slurping up some LCC.....grin

[Linked Image]

maddog
Smart pup! grin Kinda resembles the guys at the firehouse when I bring some in for dinner... wink

[Linked Image]

Good shooting. Gonna make a stew? grin

Out here we call it "Ground Chicken Chowder"....... whistle
Out here we call it "Ground Chicken Chowder".......

And the fleas are the secret ingredient.... sick

I made it back out a couple days ago.

Saw 4....kilt 3.

Made my longest shot yet, about 75 yards, and bloodied the new vest....

[Linked Image]
Well, looks like I won't get back out til sometime next week. Yard to mow, as well as other stuff that needs to be done this weekend. Supposed to rain Sun., Mon.

maddog
Farmers are all in the fields, and work was caught up, so I slipped out for a morning run. First time out in about 2 wks. First woods I went to is small[about 4 acres], but is loaded with oak, hickory and squirrels!grin. Pulled up to the woods and they had a logging crew in there cutting the woods.frown Went on to a woods I can hunt, but hadn't been in yet, this season. Long story short, saw 5, heard at least 3 more, and got 2. If I could shoot straight, shoulda had 4. Good thing I'm getting my bifocals checked, in a coupla weeks. grin

[Linked Image]

maddog
Loggers got all my squirrel woods years ago. All pine plantations now.
The boy came home for a hunt this am. Absolutely a beautiful day in the woods! We went to a place down close to the river, because they got a bunch of grays there. Turned out, all we shot were fox squirrels. I saw two grays, and got a shot at one.....and missed the lil booger! I ended up with 3 for the day.

[Linked Image]

Got back to the truck, and started cleaning them. Dan mosied in with two fox squirrels. I told him to go on hunting, and I'd clean them.

[Linked Image]

He was gone for about 20 minutes, and came back. I told him that there was one barking about 75 yds. behind me and go get him. I kept cleaning squirrels, and heard him shoot. Heard the squirrel thump the ground. He came back with the critter....head shot. Total of 6 for the day.

[Linked Image]

He did real good with his Marlin 39a! grin

Took this pic of the biggest puffball mushroom, I've seen all year.

[Linked Image]

Dan shot this one that wasn't done eatin', yet! grin

[Linked Image]

Nothing better than hunting with your son, on a beautiful fall day.

maddog

After seeing nothing for days, I finally got another squirrel. It had rained here in Alabama and the woods were damp and quiet to walk in this afternoon instead of loud crunches with each step. I think I may have found the perfect squirrel load for my shotgun; Winchester Super X 3-1/4 drs. eq. x 1-1/8 ounce of #4 shot (1250 fps). Much less recoil than the typical 1-1/4 ounce at 1,330 fps loads which would be not good in my 6-3/4 pound double. Just right pattern density, with 1-1/8 ounce of them just enough to put 6 pellets through this squirrel at 35 yards instead of brutally grinding on it like heavier loads usually do at shorter ranges, and the #4's are large enough to penetrate through and through leaving no lead in the meat. The only factory loaded 1-1/8 ounce of #4's that I know of! The only other way to get a load like this would be to load them yourself, which I may do later.

[Linked Image]
Congrats to you guys!
went back to the same place we hunted a few weeks ago, had posted some pix about 2 pages back on this thread.

got there at first light, and back into the timber, hunted a different area this time, but pretty much the same big hardwood creekbottoms. first 20 minutes were pretty still, thought maybe i had made a mistake by hitting a different area. But, things progressed nicely, and over the next few hours, had a stringer of victims. Couple of fox squirrels had some size to them.

scope is a compact 3-9x with Leupold Dot reticle, got used to the dot, but past 6x got a bit fuzzy as this one is not a rimfire scope...will either send it back for a parallax correction or swap this one onto a different rifle most likely & replace it with a 3-9xAO EFR.

This one is a CZ452 American, shooting CCI subsonic HP's.
[Linked Image]

after spending the morning squirrel hunting, we put up 2 new ladder stands for deer, and pretty fired up about those; deer have the trails beat muddy there, and appears to be a fair bit of hog traffic on these trails...putting some trail cams up next weekend to see what is creeping around.

Plan on going tomorrow. Have been using the .22 with good luck but tomorrow I'm taking the Win. Md 50 20ga Dad gave me in 1960.
Took it down and cleaned it good.

This is the first year in about 20 years I've squirrel hunted and I'd forgotten how much fun it is.
Heading up to my smith to pick up my new 10/22 later today. I had a peep/fiber optic front sight and sling studs installed. Weather is going to be crappy until about Fri. Hope to get it sighted in and take it hunting sometime this next weekend.

maddog
you suck.
Here we go. Picked up the 10/22. Took it home and tooks some picks. Decided to take it out for a sight in. I WAS SHOCKED!!!

I fired this better at 25 yds. than both my scoped rifles!! laugh

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Took it out and set up at 10 yds. First 3 shots were dead on! Moved back, and fired at 25 yds. Now this is a stock ruger with a 5 1/2 lb trigger pull, and I'm 62 1/2, with bifocals.... that get checked fri.......

[Linked Image]

The 1st coupla shots were slightly low and to the lower left. Then I fired 7 into a space you could cover with a nickel. I was absolutely amazed!

maddog
I might add, I used the same CCI SV LR ammo, that I'm shooting in the other two rifles. Still can't get over how well I shot it. Definately taking it squirrel hunting this weekend. Did see how it's easier to shoot up a lot of ammo in this little critter....whistle grin

maddog
MD, I got a couple of years on you. That is some mighty fine shooting and unless you run up on some might small skwerls, you're good to go. I need to get a peep sight on one of my .22s.
We'll find out Sat./Sun. I'm goin' squirrel hunting with the 10/22!

maddog
Mighty fine shooting, Tex! Good luck this weekend.. cool
don't forget yo' bifocals grin. Good luck to you. Wifey and I are going out Sat. I may carry a .22 this time, she'll carry her 870 28ga.
Well, I hope I get to go. They are calling for 15-20 mph. winds, with gusts up to 25-30, so we'll see. If I can't go Sat., then I'll try Sun.

maddog
WHEW!!! Maybe a good time to break out a splatterbarrel..
Naw, I wanna see how many I can miss with the 10/22....just sayin....whistle grin

maddog
Picked up another brick of CCI SV LR today. Not as cheap as last year, but not too awful

maddog
Maddog, I used that exact same set up for a long time. Scopeless rifle sure feels nice. Wish my eyes were still up to it.

Got bored with uncooperative deer this morning. Hiked back to the truck and swapped tools.

[Linked Image]

Looks like I need to repaint that stock this summer.

Ella
Well, it was way too windy to go yesterday, so I cut up some venison for jerky. It's been marinading overnite. This morning it's pretty calm out but cold. Think I'll go about 9:30, after I get the venison in the dehydrator. See how many I can miss with the 10/22. grin

maddog
good luck to you. Going to try them after church if it's not raining.
No Sunday hunting on public land in SC. Oh well, at least it's a chance to catch up on work around the house. Good hunting, ya'll.

Ella
Got back about 11:30 am. Went to a new woods. It was clean like a park. When i first got there,about 9:30 it was danged cold. Hadn't any more than stepped into the woods, and I spotted a squirrel. Tried to ease up on him, and he ran over two trees and went in a hole. Watched the tree for a few minutes, and had one barking his fool head off at me about 75 yds. away. Eased up behind a hickory and there he sat, in a tree next to it, on a bare limb. Brought the 10/22 up, and laid the fiber op bead on his head[it about covered it] Bang and about 1 second later thump! Walked over, and I had my first squirrel with irons in over 2 decades! grin I was like a kid in a candy store!

[Linked Image]

In case ole ingwe shows up, here is a closer pic of the head shot. I was prouder than a peacock.....grin. Almost did a happy dance....laugh

[Linked Image]

Went on hunting, and saw a couple more, but they evidently made it to a hole. Saw a danged chipmunk running in a tree top, and since this was my first hunt with the 10/22, and I'd just red headed a limb chicken, I thought I was Annie Oakley, and fired 2 shots at the lil booger. The bead completely covered him....and I missed! So much for Annie.....frown grin

Went on and found one on the ground moving around. Went to shoot and the sun hit the rear peep just as I shot and I missed him too. Shoulda quit while I was ahead. All in all a great morning in the woods.

maddog
Thanks for the hunting tale. Sounds like a good morning. I love getting the loud ones. They're hollering like crazy around here last week or so.

With irons, I used to cheat and put one through the ribs sometimes.

Ella
Cool beans Mike!
Shot these three today with the Kimber Hunter 22.
[Linked Image]
Decided to go for a hunt this am, since it's supposed to rain the rest of the week. Couple times I really missed the scope, today. Shot at one on the ground, heard a solid thump....lil bastid took off running, and I couldn't get on him. Went up a tree, and [unbeknownst to me] went into a hole. eased up to about 20 yds., and was looking the tree over. There was a tan spot on the side facing me. It LOOKED like a squirrel, but I wasn't sure. Watched it for 5 min. Next thing I know, the spot moved...dagnabit. Went right up to the tree, and looked and there he was deader than a hammer with his head and one leg hanging out the hole. No way to get to him, too high in the tree. I see another one about 25 yds. away. I move over a few feet, looking for the new one. Turned around and saw the 1st squirrel had disappeared down the hole. By now I'm cussing myself, figuring he slid down the hole and was laying there only slightly wounded. I went back to looking for the other squirrel. All of a sudden, I heard something behind me and the 1st squirrel came out of the hole, down the tree and was laying under a brush pile. I went over and gave him a mercy shot to the head. Man, I'd rather be lucky than good. Sides the lil booger didn't have to suffer a lingering death. What a morning.

Here's a couple pics of the woods. It's like hunting in a park.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And said squirrel.

[Linked Image]

What a morning,and it was beautiful in the woods.

maddog
good shooting. I went checking some stands yesterday and carried my old Rem 66 with open sights. All I saw was a diller out rooting up a greenstrip. Did about a 75 yd shot and put him to flipping. Second shot stopped that. Ain't too bad for 65yr old eyes..
Dang schoolmarm, we're gonna have to start an ole geezer brigade of traditional riflemen.....ingwe ya in?....just sayin'....whistle grin

maddog
we're gonna have to start an ole geezer brigade of traditional riflemen

Will this get me admittance?

[Linked Image]

Western Auto revelation Lever Action (S-L-LR) and an old 1-6 Weaver.

I don't need the scope, just had it in the drawer of many things....
Naw, ya gotta git rid of the scope.....iron, fiber op, peep sights only! Just kiddin, if yer over 60, yer part of the brigade......grin

maddog
Originally Posted by RWE
[quote=maddog]we're gonna have to start an ole geezer brigade of traditional riflemen

Will this get me admittance?

[Linked Image]

Western Auto revelation Lever Action (S-L-LR) and an old 1-6 Weaver.

Dang RW, somebody done went and stole yo' hammer... grin
Old geezers brigade, sounds great. Don't have to walk far or do any push-ups do we? If it's just shooting, I'm in...
PUSHUPS!?! We don't need no stinking pushups, ceptin' ingwe......whistle grin

maddog
I will do one push up for every sit up you do! Bastid! grin
I will do one push up for every sit up you do! Bastid! grin

Oh hell... grin
ingwe, do 12 oz. curls count....just sayin....whistle grin

maddog
Man up dude!

We will curl 16 oz. Tall Boys! laugh

One for one...mano a mano! grin

If you remember correctly, we did the 12 oz curl thing, and ended the night in a tie... whistle
oh no, if we got to curl skullcrackers, somebody's gonna wake up with a headache.
Its been done before.....

Mike is a good host grin
Well, it's raining, and supposed to keep it up all day and night. Sooo.......I had squirrels soaking in the fridge, and decided I need me some BBQ squirrel for din din tonite, while mama's bowling.

Took a cup of flower, and added a tsp. each of garlic pepper, salt, and minced onion. Breaded the pieces, and fried in my cast iron skillet for about 4-5 min. on a side. Threw the pieces in the crock pot and dowsed them in sweet baby ray's bbq, and qtr. cup of water. Gonna let them slow cook on low til about 5-6 pm, and set down to supper with a big ole glass of ice tea.

You boys have a good day! grin

maddog
you suck.
you're right ingwe. I'm here babysitting other peoples brats and Mike's talking like that. He should be ashamed. He's probally laughing...
The BBQ squirrel was Delicious!!!

maddog
Nailed this one late yesterday afternoon. I was sitting waiting on something to move, and spotted two way off in the distance. I crept up to about sixty yards from where I thought I had seen them, and then sat down again, hoping I hadn't been spotted and started searching with the binoculars. After what seemed like an eternity, I found one of them, waaaay up high in the top of a tree in a limb crotch. It was crouched on a limb looking towards me, probably didn't think I had seen where it was, but I laid the crosshairs right between the eyes, and that's exactly where the bullet struck, exiting out the left side ribs behind the shoulder. The RWS Subsonic HP made that old hollow "thoop" sound of hollowpoint striking flesh and down it came. If I hadn't sat down behind a tree so that I could get a good solid rest I would probably have never gotten the shot. Waited a while but never could find the second squirrel, it got away unscathed.
[Linked Image]
Nice pic and nice shooting! I hope to get out 1 or 2 more times, before our firearm deer season opens on Nov. 16th. I'll have to lay off the limb chickens til after Dec. 1. Sure been a fun season, so far, and we have almost 3 mos. left. grin

maddog
Looks like a nice morning. Think I'll head out about 9 am or so, for a couple hrs. Setting here debating on the iron sighted 10/22 or my scoped Sportster. Decisions, decisions....grin

maddog
you suck.
Crow season (dumbest crap ever) opened yesterday, so #2 son and I went out to try a new electronic call I had bought. Got 7 and when we got back Mawsquaw had homemade biscuits, squirrel and grave waiting on us.
Made up for my bad shooting.
BTW, before you ask, I've had to eat crow many times in my life just not the black feathered ones.
Got to the woods about 9:15 am. It was absolutely beautiful out. Started easing down through the woods, and not much going on. Over the next 45 mins. I got towards the back of the woods, and saw one moving around on the ground. Kept easing from tree to tree, and finally got to within about 30 yds. Took a rather hasty shot and missed..... Stood behind a tree and watched the area for about 20 mins. All of a sudden I looked up and there he was setting on a limb scratching himself. Up with the Sportster and pop! Then thunk, as he hit the ground.

[Linked Image]

He was a big ole dude, and had his full winter fur on.

Went on and saw another one on the ground, but he got in a hole on me. Looked over my shoulder and there was a youngin hanging on the side of a tree. Popped him for the pot, too.

[Linked Image]

I didn't take the iron sighted 10/22, this time, but I think I coulda done just as good with it. Next few outings I'm taking it.

maddog
Went for a walk with the kids yesterday and found a plump squirrel.
Beautiful day with a very nice and accurate rifle.
[Linked Image]
This is from our hunt a couple weeks ago with a beautiful Kimber SuperAmerica

[Linked Image]
Nice pics and a very beautiful rifle.

maddog
Got one more for the stew bag today. Snuck in this AM to sit by a patch of acorns. Had seen a bunch of scrapes in the area, but no buck showed up.

Hiking out, this guy popped up about a 1/4 mile from the truck and froze on the branch. I had time to set the rifle down and draw.

[Linked Image]

Counts as iron sights?

This what some of that area looks like.

[Linked Image]
Nice job Ella!

maddog
Great looking guns and great shooting guys. Some squirrel and gravy on the way..
Boys, this has nothing to do with squirrel hunting, but I started a thread up in the deer hunting forum about a buck we rescued yesterday.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...7244/Buck_rescued_by_hunters#Post8227244

One of the neatest things I've ever had the pleasure of witnessing/participating in.

maddog
Here's a link to the video, for those that are interested.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Lm8Pll3CTc

maddog
Great stuff MD.
Yeah, after next weekend[deer hunting], it's back after the limb chickens! grin

maddog
#2 son and I went skwerlin' today and I remembered after the fact why I quit shooting my .17HMR. Used the CCI "hardball" but was still too much. The ones I head shot, ok. The ones I hit a little far back, yuck.
I got 6 grays for the chowder none the less.
If the wind stays calm, I'm gonna go squirrel hunting in an hr. or so. Will probably be my last squirrel hunt until after the 2 wk. firearm season, which starts next Sat. Think I'll take the peep sighted 10/22. Gonna hit a new woods, maybe besides a squirrel, there might be a bunny running around. That season opened last fri. Gotta remember to wear my hunter orange this am.

maddog
good luck. Going out for awhile after church..
Going in the morning to check zero on the muzzy and slugger before next weekend gets here. Gonna check on the fox squirrel population at my shooting spot.
Got to the woods about 9:30 am. No more than walked into the woods, and saw one messing around on the ground. I took the peep sighted 10/22[thank gawd], no way could I have gotten on it with a scope. Popped it and it ran into a briar patch. One more shot to dispatch it, then wade into the briars to collect it. This time of year, carhartts are your friend! grin Moved on, and saw another one scurrying around on the ground. Put a sneak on, and got within about 15-20 yds., and hid behind a tree. Lil booger jumped up on the side of a tree and kinda skylined himself. Mistake! Put the red fiber op on him, and whack...head shot.grin

[Linked Image]

Had a ball with the little peep sighted .22. Only bad thing, is sometimes on thr ground, them squills blend in enough, that ya gotta look hard to make sure you're shooting at the right end! grin

Oh yeah, went to another woods, but it was getting awful windy. On the way back to the truck, I caught a damned cat sneakin thru the briars. He's breathin' his everlasting in a briar patch....coyotes gotta eat too, just sayin.......grin

maddog
Congrats Mike! cool
That's probably it on the squirrels until after Thanksgiving. Firearm deer season opens next Sat., and runs for two weeks, here in Indiana. I'm gonna go deer hunting with the boy, for three days, then back to the limb chickens! grin

maddog
Tomorrow is gonna be it for me as well...for the same reason. wink Good luck with the deer! I'll be heading to Owen County,,just outside of Spencer come Friday... cool
Yeah, got all the squirrel hunting stuff put up, and all the deer hunting stuff drug out. Looked at the forecast, and Sat. looks all right, but it's supposed to rain Sun. and Mon. Stay tuned.

maddog
No luck on the limb chickens Monday. Got there late and the wind had picked up. Got the cobwebs blown out of the White S91 muzzy, and the Ultra Slug Hunter. Good to go for this weekend.

Haven't done anything with my ML, yet. Gonna wait and see how the first 3 days of the firearm deer season go, with my CVA Scout 44 mag.

maddog
Good luck, Mike. I'll opt for the USH until muzzy season kicks in. This was the first and only shot at 75 yards with 12ga. 2.75" Lightfields. Wears a Loopy 3x9x33 Lightweight. I've shot this slugger a bunch with the same lot of fodder. This shot was just to confirm that the gal still had it in her. wink

Good luck!

[Linked Image]
I think when deer season ends I'm gonna' take the .22 out to my ground blind.

I've seen more squirrels this year than ever before. The little varmints have had me surrounded every day.
BC909, opening day really sucked! Worst opening day in over 20 yrs. Wind blowing 20-25 mph. Total sightings for me 4, at a distance. The boy and I sat out for almost 9 hrs. with 2 breaks. Heard very few shots. Today isn't going to be much better. It's already 60 degrees, and we have a wind advisory after 9 am. We're going, for a couple hrs., then bagging it. Mon., may be our only decent day.

maddog
Weather not much better south, but bagged a dink 8-pointer for the freezer at around 0830 Saturday. Got him checked, and in the freezer by 1700 hrs last night. Weather gonna get nasty today. I may wait until Tuesday to hit another property.

[Linked Image]
The boy and I went this am. Still blowing, and we did get a little wet before daylight. The rain stopped right before sunup. A buck broke out of the tall grass and was about 100 yds. from him. Heard and saw him shoot twice. Couldn't tell if he hit him or not, but I lofted one from my blind at about 140 yds. Spine hit it and anchored him. My son had indeed hit him, but I sure as he** didn't want him to get back in that tall grass. So my son got a buck, the only deer the two of us had even had a shot at the last two days.

[Linked Image]

One more day of hunting, and he has to go back to work. Gonna see if I can get some freezer meat tomorrow. If I don't, I really don't care. Back to the limb chickens in another week or so.

maddog
get out there and get you some freezer meat so you can get back to the fun stuff.
Got me a little dinky meat deer Fri eve. Another one or so and it's back to the limb chickens for me.
Congrats to your son, Dawg! I agree,,,those limb chickens are a lot lighter to carry out of the woods. At 57....it seems like deer are an awful lot of work... wink

Jeff
Well, probably done deer hunting for awhile. My buddy's place got hammered with wind/rain from the storms today. Too wet to even get back there and he has trees down around his house. Boy went back to Indy, tonight. I really don't care because the wind is supposed to be blowing 25/30 mph, again tomorrow. Rather hunt limb chickens, anyway! grin

maddog
Congrats to your son, Dawg! I agree,,,those limb chickens are a lot lighter to carry out of the woods. At 57....it seems like deer are an awful lot of work... wink

Jeff

I hear that! Out here everyone hunts elk in September, while I fish for Brookies. When they ask why Im not hunting elk its because I can pack a brookie out all by myself!
Ya know, I keep sayin' that I'm about done deer hunting, and I'm not sure, this may be my last season. The only reason I'm keeping it up is because of my son. This marks year number 20 that we have hunted deer opening weekend. Freezer meat....may be a Boone and Crocket hind quarter of Black Angus this year! grin Back to the limb chickens pretty soon.......

maddog
I made about 25lbs of deer/pork sausage Sun eve. That would've been tough using limb chickens. Think I'll continue to get a few meat deer while I still can.
Deer hunting is to my mind the least fun. But it sure does fill a freezer faster than small game. Nevertheless, some days are too pretty to be wasted on deer....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Swapping back to deer tomorrow.

Ella
Wasted on deer indeed. That's funny.
Ella, you go! Just had this conversation, this pm, with a buddy. It just ain't as much fun hunting deer, as it used to be.

maddog
Well, gonna get my ML ready that I haven't used in 3 yrs. We have a Dec. ML/archery season for 2 wks. The boy said he'd come up for a couple days to hunt. Had such good luck with the peep sight on my new ruger 10/22, I ordered a peep for my CVA Wolf. Should be here in the next few days, then I'll get it sighted in. Soon as our firearms season is over with, I'm gonna get back after the squirrels,and probably just hunt deer when the boy is home.

maddog
I took Mr. Man (my 6yo) with me for opening weekend and we were able to get in a bit of both deer and squirrel hunting. I may have shot the dinkest of all 8pts! (more on that later as I still need to download some pics)
[Linked Image]

Yes, there are 8 "points" on that rack! laugh

Sunday was a bust for deer hunting with the wind and rain. So, instead I got out the 10/22 as Mr. Man wanted to practice so he can try for a squirrel. We played peek-a-boo out the windows, doors, and porch of the cabin looking for squirrels. There's a few walnut trees just off the back. I finally got a gray to sit still! Once the rain stopped for a bit, he asked to go for a walk to try for more squirrels. We ended up with 2 more, but should have had a third. I missed a "gimme" shot. Here's Mr. Man with the day's take.
[Linked Image]

After I got them cleaned we did some range time with the 10/22.
[Linked Image]
BTW, a CCI qick-shok completely blows up a full and vigorously shaken Coors! laugh More BTW, 10/22 slick stocks make it hard for youngsters, at least mine, to keep it on their shoulder. I'm thinking he'll have his own 22 of some sort before next year! wink Anyone make a lefthand 22 bolt gun for reasonable other than Savage and CZ?
Congrats pointer! The pics are awesome. Glad you and Mr. Man had a memorable time. The memories will last forever!

maddog
Thanks pointer. You and Mr Man brought back a bunch of years for me with those great pics. Got me a 3yr old grandson that I'm hoping to take a little this year.
Those pics are priceless...thanks for sharing!
Thanks for the kudos guys. Mr. Man is already looking forward to the next time. I think I may be creating a "monster"... wink
I think as soon as this bitter cold weekend, and Thanksgiving is over, I'm ready to get back after the squirrels. Your pics have me ready to get back out. Too danged cold and windy for my old bones today! brrrrr....grin

maddog
Same here. Changed the oil in 3 vehicles today. Hopefully that will get me a "kitchen-pass" soon. Gotta be at the firehouse tomorrow. Maybe Tuesday morning for limb chickens. wink
Heading out in about 1 1/2 hrs. for a limb chicken hunt. Putting 2 younguns, that I thawed out, fried and smothered in BBQ sauce, in the crock pot for din din tonite. Looks like it's gonna be a nice day, with little wind. I'll report back, later.....

maddog
Pointer, that's a cool picture of the boy using the back of the chair as a rest. Boy's lucky to have that kind of set up available to him.

Got out yesterday morning while everyone else was shopping eek

Tried to snap a picturesque photo and flopped.

Good luck, Maddog.

[Linked Image]
Well, got to the woods around 9 am. Just got started, and the wind picked up pretty good. Over the next 3 hrs., I saw 4 squirrels, got shots at 2, and mmmmmmissed! cry My only excuse was i was using my iron sighted rifle....whistle

Oh well, gonna hit it a lick in the morning.

maddog
Got out about 9:30 am, and hit a new woods. Only saw one squirrel by 11 am., so moved to another woods. By then, the sun had come out, and the wind was nil. Hadn't any more than got into the woods, when a squirrel jumped up on the side of a tree. I took a hasty shot with the 10/22 and missed. Went on down through the woods, and caught one feeding on the ground at about 35 yds. Tried a freehand shot, and thought I'd missed. Eased down there and was kinda looking around, when i caught a glimpse of a tail, on the side of a tree about 20 ft. away. I threw a stick on the other side of the tree, and the squirrel hit the ground running. He went about 20 yds. and jumped up on the side of a tree. THIS time I didn't miss! grin

[Linked Image]

Went on, and saw another squirrel, but couldn't get close. Was heading back to the truck, hunting as I went. Saw something off to my left, and just stood there. Five very nice does were feeding and just meandering through the woods. Today was the last day of our firearms deer season. I didn't care, there's a muzzleloader season coming up in another week. If the boy comes up, we'll give it a try then. I'm about to the point where I won't hunt them anymore, by myself, because I can't hardly handle them. Dang sight easier to haul that squirrel back to the truck. Got there and cleaned it, when I took off, the truck thermometer said 47 degrees. The most beautiful day we've had in over two weeks.

maddog
Gonna try it in the morning, Dog. cool
Good luck! Sounds like the weather is gonna go south on us, starting about Wed. My son wanted to go hunting thurs., as well as get his ML sighted in. Guess we'll have to see about the weather, wed. eve.

maddog
Saw 2,,,got a shot on 1 and missed, dagnabbit! Oh well, it was a beautiful day to be out.

Weather's gonna turn to crap here next week.
Told the boy to bag thurs. Don't see any hunting, now for 10 days, or so.

maddog
Sorry dbl. post

maddog
Well done guys! I'm itching to get after them again. Was in 'squirrel central' on Monday (deer reduction hunt at a state park). Kinda put my trigger finger to itching... laugh
Gonna get cold and nasty here in Indiana this weekend. May be a few days before heading out again.
Gonna get cold and nasty here in Indiana this weekend. May be a few days before heading out again.

same here...had plans on hunting this weekend, weatherman says Ice Storm cometh, so i'll catch up on reloading instead. Have a new squirrel slayer i'm itching to break in, now looks like a no-go. frown

if the following weekend is nice though, i'll rain death from afar, with a 17HMR....

I've had a couple of days off to be able to get in the woods.
Trapper is doing pretty good even though the tree rats haven't been moving much. I think it's been due to the lack of food, don't know. My son hasn't gotten mad at all for texting him pics of my morning hunts with his dog while he's in school.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

thanks for letting me share,

R.D.
Nice pics of a good looking hound. Mt. Cur?

maddog
yes sir. He's strictly squirrel. Plus we've got another that's strictly coon. And a blond female with a litter of brindle pups that I'm hoping she'll turn out to be a combo dog.
Well, mama went bowling tonight, so it was time for some limb chickens. Every thurs. for the last 4 weeks, I've had BBQ squirrel, in the crockpot. Tonight, I did something different. Hadn't had fried squirrel in 2 yrs. I put 1 squirrel in a pan and boiled it for 20 mins. Rinsed it, and patted it dry. Dipped in flour, then egg, then flour again[flour was seasoned with garlic and black pepper]. Chicken fried it for 7 min. on a side, then turned the heat on low for 10 min., to simmer. Took it out, then added the flour/milk, and made gravy. I'm stuffed ! Me and Dexter the dog[aka butthead], enjoyed a fine meal! grin All washed down with a big ole glass of ice tea! Life is good!

maddog
That does sound good! Now I'm hungry again! grin
Well, mama went bowling tonight, so it was time for some limb chickens. Every thurs. for the last 4 weeks, I've had BBQ squirrel, in the crockpot. Tonight, I did something different. Hadn't had fried squirrel in 2 yrs. I put 1 squirrel in a pan and boiled it for 20 mins. Rinsed it, and patted it dry. Dipped in flour, then egg, then flour again[flour was seasoned with garlic and black pepper]. Chicken fried it for 7 min. on a side, then turned the heat on low for 10 min., to simmer. Took it out, then added the flour/milk, and made gravy. I'm stuffed ! Me and Dexter the dog[aka butthead], enjoyed a fine meal! grin All washed down with a big ole glass of ice tea! Life is good!

maddog
Through it some fried potatoes and that may very well be my favorite meal! I've got some in the freezer for a batch of chowder later this year, so I need to get out and do some "shopping"... laugh Too bad the weather and holidays are getting in the way.
Mike, fried squirrel with gravy,and some manner of potatoes�I am not kidding when I say I can't think of a better meal�.
found a few pix from about 3 weeks ago, ended up getting 4 squirrels total that day. wind was howling, very hard to spot movers when the whole tree is shaking.

burr oaks were dropping:
[Linked Image]

and, all the white oaks seemed to produce a good crop too:
[Linked Image]

packed the Kimber HS on that hunt:
[Linked Image]

got 5 inches of snow yesterday so i'm thinkin the squirrels are gonna have to get out and work for the food a little...may go out Sunday, depending on weather.

I gotta get back in the woods. I've killed 30 squirrels this season and have already eaten them all.
Congrats,,,and nice rig!
Well, mama's got some honey-dos this am, but if the wind isn't blowing, and it stays sunny, I may go out for a quickie limb chicken hunt, between 11 and 2.

maddog
To many honey-dos, and too dang cold. Will give it a shot, when it warms up a bit.

maddog

way cold in the morning...was going to get up and hit the pecan orchard, but i called and roads are fairly lousy still there (ice storm) so think i'm gonna sit this one out a few days, sposed to have sunny skies and be above freezing by Tuesday, and i imagine after a week of ice & snow the squirrels will perk up then.

We had time for a short stroll before taking care of some non-hunting things. Trapper found a pile of den trees then found 5 in a row sitting out. Cooper let 1 get back to the hole because of a gun malfunction. I'll tear it apart today and give it a good cleaning. Thanks for letting us share.

R.D.

[Linked Image]
Nice pic, and I love that hound.

maddog
thanks maddog
we sure are having a blast with him

R.D.
R.D., what state you boys from?

maddog
We're in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia.
Lots of gov't land and private wood lots.
Bad side- lots of roads and houses.

R.D.
Nice photos, all. And good looking dogs.

Haven't seen a squirrel in a couple of days. Hoping it clears later this week.

Good thread, Maddog!
Ella, I didn't start this thread, but thanks! I started it last year, and a coupla boys from Indiana beat me to the punch! grin

maddog
I was born and raised in Kentucky. We don't credit Indiana boys with #%*&! But I suppose in this case, I could make an exception. Batchieboy doesn't seem like a bad fellow at all, given his disadvantages....(insert emoticon for "all in good fun").

Ella
Originally Posted by Ella
I was born and raised in Kentucky. We don't credit Indiana boys with #%*&! But I suppose in this case, I could make an exception. Batchieboy doesn't seem like a bad fellow at all, given his disadvantages....(insert emoticon for "all in good fun").

Ella

Hahaha....we won't hold that against ya neither. wink At least they built that bridge we kin both swim in the shade under. grin
laugh

Ella
This is the first season for this pup, shows a lot of promise so far.
[Linked Image]
That's a nice looking pooch. Thanks for posting.

maddog
It's about 3 above outside. I canceled the ML hunt with my son for today, too cold and crappy for this ole man's bones. He sent me this pic, with the caption...."When it's too cold" grin

[Linked Image]

maddog
But this is what happens when you stay too long at the ole pub.....grin

[Linked Image]

maddog
Well, since nobody seems to be hunting[including me], here are some funny squirrel pics I found.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

maddog
crowhorse- that's the way to get it done.
good looking dog

R.D.
LMAO!! Good ones, Mike!
Well, since nobody seems to be hunting[including me], here are some funny squirrel pics I found.

[Linked Image]
Too funny, I needed that !

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

maddog
Here's some more......enjoy....grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

maddog
grin
Eeks, on the pics. The big nuts one is funny.

(Went out the other morning, and didn't see a single squirrel. Went to all my good spots and nothing. It was cold but clear. I've never seen anything like it. I'm baffled. Will head out again Monday to see what is.)

Ella
Here you go, couple more grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Man, this weather has to straighten up. Gettin' tired of posting these pics.....grin

maddog
I just finally set up the "Squirrel Motel" in the yard to try and get rid of these invasive non-native Red Fox squirrels�.. whistle
I just finally set up the "Squirrel Motel" in the yard to try and get rid of these invasive non-native Red Fox squirrels�.. whistle

So would that be the.... no-tell squirrel-tel?
Nope. Its like a Roach Motel �.where they check in, but they don't check out grin
Ya need to let em out of the motel, and shoot em on the run....more sporting whistle....just sayin.....grin

maddog
Man, I wish this weather would straighten up, haven't been squirrel hunting since Dec. 1st. Looked at the 7 day outlook, and maybe next Sat. I sure hope so.

maddog
Maybe next Sunday if the water goes down! Area got over 5" of rain yesterday.
You boys got hammered worse than we did, up where I'm at.

maddog
If the weather forecasters have a clue what they are talking about, looks like next weekend will be in the high 30's, but maybe a little windy. If I can, gonna try and hit it both days. You boys have a Merry Christmas.

maddog
May give it a shot too. Merry Christmas to all.
Looks like I may make it out for the last weekend of 'doe' season. I'm not super serious about it, so I'm thinking I'll take the .22 along in addition to the slugger. laugh
I'm eating my deer tags this yr. First time I haven't shot a deer in 34 seasons. The pop. in my area is down, and I've just lost interest. However, if tomorrow and Sat. are as nice as they're talking, limb chickens beware! grin

maddog

Limb chickens are easier to pack out than deer!
MD, I just finished getting all my freezer deer, now the fun starts. 22s and limb chickens. I had 2 limits around a deer stand on morning this week.
Our yearly mobile squirrel Camp 2013 is in the books. We did about 25 miles in three days, weather swung from 60s to the low 20s, and the squirrels were awful squirrely. But it was dry, wind was low, and campfire roasted limb chicken was featured every night (garlic and rosemary in the cavity). Here's the only pic I got before the camera crapped out (turns out, a battery sufficient to the gps, flashlight, etc. will not power the camera).

Maddog, do you string through the foot or the tendon? Sharpen those clips into a big ol' safety pin?

[Linked Image]

Happy holidays to all....
I string through the foot. But tendon would work.

maddog
Finally, a beautiful day in the woods[and I'm going tomorrow]. Didn't see any squirrels, til noon. Went to a second woods, and saw 2 and got 1. Took the 10/22 again, with the iron sights.

[Linked Image]

Man, it was fun. Gonna do it again tomorrow, because by the first of the week, it's gonna get colder than a well diggers azz.

maddog
Dang Ella, that's a shame about the camera. I would have enjoyed seeing pics of the mobile camp and cookin' them squirrels!

maddog
Beautiful day in the woods. Got a little breezy in the pm., but that's ok. Nailed two, shoulda been three, but I shot too quick on one.

[Linked Image]

maddog
Sweet! Congrats! Seems like Mama's plans are keeping me out of the woods for awhile. Was planning on going out in the morning,,,but we have to meet another couple for breakfast......grrrrrrrr. mad
Don't ya just hate that......grin

maddog
My son and one of his buddies came up today for a hunt. We hit it for 4 hrs. Nothing much moving. I dumbed in to this ole boy and got a free handed head shot on him, with the peep sighted 10/22. By that time my feet and hands were freezing, so we called a halt to the festivities. grin

[Linked Image]

maddog
you still suck
you still suck

Ummm...pretty much. grin Congrats on the solo...
Got these today over at the in laws place
[Linked Image]
Good for you! We are into our last month of squirrel season, here in Indiana. Based on the 10 day weather outlook, it may be 2 wks. before I get to go again. I hope I can get out 2-3 more times, before the end of the month. Jan. is always a crap shoot for hunting, and my ole bones just don't tolerate the cold weather very well, anymore.

maddog
Well, here I set, coffee mug in hand, wishing I could go after some limb chickens. 15 below outside with a 30 mph NW wind. Good news is it may be almost 40 by Sat. GAWD, as I get older, I really hate this weather! Spent all of about 8 mins. scooping show off the back walk so that Dexter[aka butthead] or mini pins could go out and take a dump. I'd had enough out in the air, when I got done..... Did I say I really hate this weather?

maddog
Skwerls don't like it either. They'll be holed up too...
Yer right. Been setting around this pm., thinking about a nice tent, a campfire, in my favorite squirrel woods. Temps. about 55 degrees, drinkin me a beverage, and cookin' a squirrel, after having hunted all day, and shot me a limit.....now how's that for a fantasy? grin

maddog
Yer right. Been setting around this pm., thinking about a nice tent, a campfire, in my favorite squirrel woods. Temps. about 55 degrees, drinkin me a beverage, and cookin' a squirrel, after having hunted all day, and shot me a limit.....now how's that for a fantasy? grin

maddog

Sounds like a possible undertaking to me!
Finally, after 12 days, I got back out today. Didn't go til 11 am. The sun peeked out, and although it was windy, I grabbed the peep sighted 10/22 and headed out to get the stink blowed off me. grin

There was still snow in the woods from that go around last weekend, but the temps were in the high 30s. Caught this booger out sunnin' on a limb.

[Linked Image]

Hope I can get out 2-3 more times, before our season ends on the 31st.

maddog
Looks like you're swapping between scope and open sights? Good fantasy.

Today's weather might have been worth hunting, but no public land hunting on Sundays. Next chance might be next weekend, unless I can sneak off early one afternoon.

I'd like to put up another bag or two in the freezer.

Ella
Here's a few more I bagged: Two last week at an old friends house with the Grulla SxS and three this afternoon down at the inlaws place with the Kimber 22.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Got this one late this afternoon on my property. First one I've seen since the first week of December. Missed the first shot offhand, and it hid, but I found it with binoculars and put an RWS Subsonic through the boiler room.
[Linked Image]
Ya I have hound if a person goe.s in the restroom opens the window on account of heat and bust his new rabbit squill call pesay the instruction in a city you get: dogs,neibers and cops before a feller can flush muchless get it right.
Gabby Johnson lives................
Ya I have hound if a person goe.s in the restroom opens the window on account of heat and bust his new rabbit squill call pesay the instruction in a city you get: dogs,neibers and cops before a feller can flush muchless get it right.

CB caps, fire from the middle of the room. Don't ask how I know...

For once, I am at a loss to respond...
does anybody have a decoder ring to decipher what kawi posts? grin

maddog
I thought I did�.but that one left me confounded�.
He goes in the bathroom, raises the window, commences to get down to business.

After a staccato burst of noise that the squills mistake for a call, they come running.

He starts gunning, but the neighborhood gets upset.

...........I think..............

I am not quite fluent in Kawinese just yet.....
Whew! Yer better at readin' his posts than I am, by far.......grin

maddog
Got these four late this afternoon, not a good photo but it was pretty dark by the time I got out of the woods and stopped.
[Linked Image]
Maddog, I found this thread and read it, finding it quite entertaining and stirring the squirrel hunting desire in me.

I also invited my little buddy that lives out in the yard in to view your thread, and as he went through the pages, you could tell he was beginning to tremble. When I showed him your picture, he was visibly upset.

I let out a little laugh, like someone who is crazy would do, looked him in the eye and said "He's moving in next door".

He ran out of the house in a panic, and I guess he couldn't take the stress.......11 Kv was his solution

[Linked Image]
laugh laugh

maddog
Man, you've had some nice hauls (with nice guns).

I'm going out tomorrow am, but they've been elusive as heck since the weather went wonky before the new year turned. They're all waiting it out or something.

Ella
Gave it a go this weekend, but only saw one squirrel in a woods where I'd see up to a dozen during deer season. I think the cold and snow had them denned up and when they did venture out there weren't too far from said den. Still beat sitting at home.

Saw a bunch this morning but all together in a 15 minute window and they were squirly. Got one. It's been like pointer's post.

Cornmeal crusted baked chicken for supper, so this one got done up at the same time. (Steam kinda got in the way.)

Ella

[Linked Image]
Rggrrrr....
Well, another 2" of snow last night. Looked at the forecast, and the fat lady is warmin' up. Our season ends Fri. Might be a remote possibility of getting out Fri., if the wind ain't blowin' 25-30 mph. All in all, it's been a helluva fun season. Only 6 1/2 mos. til I can do it again! grin

maddog
I had kinda lost interest in squirrel hunting until I read this, and I may just go next year.

And, due to the cold weather here, your buddy is still out hanging around on the power line..
Well, another 2" of snow last night. Looked at the forecast, and the fat lady is warmin' up. Our season ends Fri. Might be a remote possibility of getting out Fri., if the wind ain't blowin' 25-30 mph. All in all, it's been a helluva fun season. Only 6 1/2 mos. til I can do it again! grin

maddog
Yep, unfortunately. Ma' Nature sure played havoc with my post deer season squirrel plans. Damn her...

Maybe we should get a group of Hoosiers together for a weekend to KY or TN in May/June and get an early start to the squirrel hunting? Land Between the Lakes?
It's 3 degrees here and the wind is crazy. To heck with it...I still have 8 or 9 in the freezer... wink
[/quote] Yep, unfortunately. Ma' Nature sure played havoc with my post deer season squirrel plans. Damn her...

Maybe we should get a group of Hoosiers together for a weekend to KY or TN in May/June and get an early start to the squirrel hunting? Land Between the Lakes? [/quote]

Not a bad idea. Saw on another forum that the DNR was looking for input on a possible spring squirrel season, here in Indiana. I told them I was all for it. Also wish they'd leave the season open until Feb. 28, each year. There aren't that many small game hunters[here in Indiana] anymore and the impact on the squirrel pop. would be negligible. My only problem is work. I'm a district man for a seed company, and getting away in May/June is tough, because of farmers in the field.

maddog
It's 3 degrees here and the wind is crazy. To heck with it...I still have 8 or 9 in the freezer... wink

Agreed. However, if there is a remote chance of getting out Fri., for a couple hrs., I'm gonna give it a try. Stay tuned..... wink

maddog

Not a bad idea. Saw on another forum that the DNR was looking for input on a possible spring squirrel season, here in Indiana. I told them I was all for it. Also wish they'd leave the season open until Feb. 28, each year. There aren't that many small game hunters[here in Indiana] anymore and the impact on the squirrel pop. would be negligible. My only problem is work. I'm a district man for a seed company, and getting away in May/June is tough, because of farmers in the field.

maddog
I'll do some looking at the dates and see if a weekend can't be made to work. Didn't know you were in the seed bidness. Do you carry covercrop stuff? I had a pisser of a time finding some winter rye, oats and brassica's in small quantities a couple of years back. Looking to do a few plots for the deer...
I'd be interested in a weekend get-together.... cool
pointer, I know the boys handle rye and oats, I'll have to check on the brassicas. You putting this in at your place down south?

How much of the above are you needing?

maddog

This coming weekend, mama is gonna be out of town. Think I'm going to take all the old squirrels I have in the freezer and pressure cook them. Gonna re freeze the meat for chowder, plus I want to try a squirrel pot pie.

maddog
Pot pie doesn't sound too bad! I still have a big bowl of the chowder frozen. May hafta thaw that out for Sunday's football gathering. Looks like I may get out Friday myself!
Went out on Friday. Watched a large fox or small yote through the scope for a while, shoulda shot but couldn't figure out what it was. Tawny fur. It was a windy, and I heard it scrabbling around pretty close before I got eyes on it. I thought it was a housecat at first.

At 5pm, there was a squirrel 'splosion. I emptied the mag and went 3 for 6. By 5:15, it was all over. Saw one on the hike back to the truck at just past too dark to see....

They sure aren't moving much.
My son's coming up this afternoon to get his new truck serviced. Sent me an email to see if I wanted to do a quickie hunt. If the wind is blowing, and it's only 15 degrees by noon, think I'm gonna pass.....grin

maddog
pointer, I know the boys handle rye and oats, I'll have to check on the brassicas. You putting this in at your place down south?

How much of the above are you needing?

maddog
Yep, it'd be for the place down south. I'll have to do some figuring and talking with my BIL, but I'm figuring maybe 100# of oats and winter rye/wheat. Maybe 1/4 of that on brassicas. Not sure of the seeing rate on those. All in all I doubt we'd do more than about 2ac total.

Batchief- You can come too! laugh Especially if you bring some chowder! wink

Well, today is the last day of IN. squirrel season. Gonna make a decision by 10 am. whether to hit it a lick today or not. Stay tuned......

maddog
Go and make me jealous! My options today are work or the ER...
Well, I went. From 9 to 11 am. Absolutely nothing moving. I basically stayed in one spot, for the majority of the time, surrounded by 20 big oak trees, with over half having den holes.
There were plenty of tracks in the snow, but nary a limb chicken sighted. My feet got cold and it started to spit snow, so, I quit and came home. Cleaned both of my .22s and put them away. Now starts the long 6 1/2 mo. wait for next August 15. Tick, tick, tick......grin

It was a helluva season, and I had a blast!

maddog
I'll certainly see if this thread gets revived, much as the "Dinkathon" does.

I will also probably get in on the action. Now, I have to decide. Do I use my old M72 with iron sights, or the 10/22, or get the 72 drilled and tapped, or get a high-end rig?

Ahhhh....first things first. I have a few months to find AMMO.
Hey Vic, this is where it got started, last year. grin

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...61724/Squirrel_season_starts#Post6761724

maddog

Well, congrats on another season put to rest.

We've got another month in SC gamezone 2, thank goodness. Going out tomorrow--am at one spot, pm at another. Swapping out a couple of hunting buddies at lunch. (Everybody else got duty watching kids half the day.)

It's supposed to be warmer and not much wind, so....

Ella
Went out for our last day of squirrel season. Saw 2, and only managed to get one. It was a good day to be in the woods with an "oldie but goodie" Marlin Model 80. She still shoots after all these years.

[Linked Image]
Wooohoo, deer season is finally over and some serious skwerlin can get started again. All Feb to chase limbrats and bunnies.
Hey Vic, this is where it got started, last year. grin

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...61724/Squirrel_season_starts#Post6761724

maddog

Well, We'll just have to get ready for LimbChicken '14 grin
A promising morning didn't pan out. Only got one before it started drizzling!

[Linked Image]

At least we still have some season left.

Ella
Wooohoo, deer season is finally over and some serious skwerlin can get started again. All Feb to chase limbrats and bunnies.

Well crap, hunted all morning didn't get a one.
They're sure being snooty this season.

Ella
Well, I'm already getting set for next season. Ordered me a tent today. My son and I are planning a 3 day campout for mid Sept., next year. The week following, I'm heading for a 4-5 day hunt down in the Shawnee National Forest, with some of the boys over at rimfire central. Gotta get a bunch of odds and ends, because I haven't camped out in almost 20 yrs.

maddog
Dude! Camping out for skwerls! You ARE serious! grin
We do it every winter. Squirrels are great for backpacking because they're easy to pack!

That sounds like a great time, maddog.

Ella
Dude! Camping out for skwerls! You ARE serious! grin

Yes, yes I am! grin

maddog
I should be going with you! laugh
Went out for a hunt this morning, back to the old friends place a few miles down the road. It was cold and windy and I only saw two, managed to shoot one, the other hightailed it away into some pines and disappeared.
[Linked Image]
Stay after them. Glad some of you boys can still hunt. Not only is the season closed, but we're supposed to get another 6-10" of snow, overnight. frown

maddog
Got to say that this thread has inspired me, big time! Our lease is a MLD III, which means we hunt deer through Feb. In the last 2 weeks we've all broken out our 22's, rescoped a couple and are now hunting rabbit and squirrels again. Although we can take does still, we are limiting our deer hunting to spikes only. And hogs. Lots of hogs.

I will update with photos of the grandsons.

I broke out my old Marlin Glenfield Model 60 and #1 son has a 10/22.
Well, I'm already getting set for next season. Ordered me a tent today. My son and I are planning a 3 day campout for mid Sept., next year. The week following, I'm heading for a 4-5 day hunt down in the Shawnee National Forest, with some of the boys over at rimfire central. Gotta get a bunch of odds and ends, because I haven't camped out in almost 20 yrs.
maddog

I would love this.

Would like to plan a hunt for the Uwharrie National Forest, reason being, there is plenty of camping sites, there are numerous hotels catering to hunters, I live close by, and there are squirrels.

Of course, a photodocumentary to post on the Squirrel Appreciation Day website would be a must.

If I can get my 54 cal underhammer built soon enough, I'd love to build up a 48" 32 cal to use.

Well, snowed in, again, today. Got between 6-7" of snow last night, along with a 20-25 mph wind. Told my snow plow man to wait until tomorrow to plow us out, when the wind quits blowing. Half the county is shut down, anyway. GAWD this is getting old. On the bright side, my tents been shipped, should get it thurs. or fri. Think I'll set it up in the basement and seam seal it, just to give me something to do. Come on spring!!!!

maddog
Bummer here too. Drive is finally cleared out. New batch of Buffalo Trace to reward my efforts... cool
Originally Posted by RWE

Would like to plan a hunt for the Uwharrie National Forest, reason being, there is plenty of camping sites, there are numerous hotels catering to hunters, I live close by, and there are squirrels.

RWE: Are there any fox squirrels in Uwharrie? I never got anything but grays anyplace in NC�..
Ingwe,
I hunted in the Uwharrie for several years. Last time was about 4 years ago. I never saw any there.

Ella
We got an invite to hunt awesome farm country last weekend. The guy that invited my son and I brought his son and a male pup he bought from me in December. We made a few trees, mostly dens, but managed to kill 5, only took home 4 since 1 decided to get hung in a fork.
What a great day in the woods with our kids and dogs.
Thanks for letting us share,

R.D.

Trapper watching one:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Great pics. Love that hound.

maddog
Talk about cabin fever......the tent I ordered just came in, yesterday. Heading to the basement to set it up, and seam seal it. Had enough winter BS.....ready to go bluegill fishing, and maybe shoot some piney squirrels or gophers. I get the copper canyon set up, I'll post a couple pics.

maddog
Well, so much for a great idea. The tent is too tall to set up in the basement. Guess I'll have to wait til spring to set it up and seam seal it. frown

This is what it looks like, when all set up.

[Linked Image]

8'x8' and 7' tall inside. I can use a cot and stand up to get dressed. Once I get used to it, prolly take 10-15 mins. to set up. I had it 90% done, and ran out of ceiling room before putting the last pole in place.

maddog
Step number two is on order. Found a coleman deluxe cot on sale. 80" long, 30" wide, and 15" high. Rated for 300 lbs., with a mattress. Now, on to other gear.......

maddog
That's doing it up in style! You bringing a big dutch oven for some campfire stewing?

RD, those dogs look great.

Went out for an hour last night and got this one but missed his buddy. At the shot, that one went tail straight up crashing and falling and hopping the f!ck out of there. It was pretty entertaining to watch.

[Linked Image]

Sorry for the poor picture, I was a little lost and wanted to get back to the truck before dark.

On another note, lotta turkeys are gobbling already!
Only got one late this afternoon. It looked like a beautiful day to hunt, 50 degrees and sun shining, but I guess the squirrels thought otherwise.

[Linked Image]
Glad you boys can still hunt. As if the weather/snow/cold isn't bad enough, we had a water main break in our town yesterday am. Still no water. Mama and I each brought containers home to make coffee, do limited dishes, and flush the toilet. Still out this am. Hope this don't go on for 3-4 days. frown

On the bright side, it gave me the opportunity to buy a couple of collapsible water jugs, for next summers camping. grin

maddog

Got this one this past fall.

[Linked Image]
Burnt rackle I have never seen that thank you!
Neat black squirrel. If I shot one like that, I think I'd have to have it mounted.

maddog
I know I would! Way cool!
Got these two today. Twelve days left of hunting season here in Alabama.
[Linked Image]
Hope you can get out a couple more times, before the end of Feb. Nice looking rifle, in the photo.

maddog
Busted this one late this afternoon. smile Only eight more days to go. frown
[Linked Image]
Philip-

You've probably said elsewhere, but what rifle is that?
Never mind, kimber I see. Nice.
Setting around holed up from the cold/snow. Bored to death, with cabin fever. Really jonesing for next Aug. 15th. grin.

Camping equipment is coming along nicely. Got a few more items to get. They got EZ up canopies on sale in town right now. Think I'm gonna get one thurs. or fri.

maddog
Got four more on Sunday the 23rd, three in the morning, one in the afternoon.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
I really feel sorry for guys that have to deal with short seasons and small bag limits. Here in Missouri our season starts on the Saturday before Memorial Day and ends on Feb. 15. My favorite time of the year though is the middle of August. That's when the hickory nuts become irresistible to timber chickens(that's what we call'em.) It's not uncommon to set up near a big ol' hickory and take a limit of 10. That's what I dream of in the off season!
Well, I wouldn't call 5 1/2 mos. a short season, but it wouldn't break my heart to have a season as long as yours, in Missouri.

maddog
Less than 3 months until the games begin again!
Today was the last day of this season here in Alabama. I got out into the woods for a while but never did see any squirrels, so that's it until October. It was a good season for me, and I thoroughly enjoyed it, and will be waiting impatiently for this fall to roll around.
Did something neat to my H&R Sportster. The trigger pull was crisp and clean, but at 5 1/2 lbs. At my gunsmiths suggestion, I bought an aerosol can of liquid graphite, and completely soaked the trigger area. When it dried, I dry fired it with a snapcap in the chamber, 15-20 times. Then, I cocked the gun. While holding the hammer all the way back, I squeezed the trigger as hard as I could for a few seconds, then let it back down. I repeated that about 20 times. Took the rifle back to the gunsmith to have the trigger checked again, and it came out at a very clean 2 1/2 lbs!

To say I was a happy camper, is an understatement!

maddog
I've enjoyed the thread a lot. PN, I love that stock everytime I see it.

Yesterday was our last day. I set up in the early AM in a patch of big oaks. Soon as it got light, one popped out a hole, leaped to the tree I was sitting against and started coming down. When I raised the rifle, it froze, and at the shot, it leaped about 15 feet to another tree, hit the ground and high-tailed it into the scrub. I was cussing my point blank miss, when another one popped out the same hole, and the whole thing repeated.

Did manage to get one later in the morning....

[Linked Image]

Wonder how much a small game out of state permit costs in the show-me-state?
Well, at least you got one. The last day of our season was nada. Can't wait til next year. grin

maddog
I hear you. Moody deer cut into my small game time this season. I didn't get my fill.

I need to read up on steep angle short range shots. I think I'm doing something wrong.

Incidentally, I had my H&R single shot's trigger reworked recently. Makes a big difference. Mine's a muzzle loader/shotgun set up....

Ella

Sure wish spring would get here. Wanna go bluegill fishing, and haven't shot my .22s in close to 2 months.......

maddog
Thumbs up on bluegill fishing, but I'm down to my last 11 rounds of Winchester power points and have about 20 rounds of cci. Other than that, a box of assorted solids. Reckon I should save it all for next season?!
Ella, start looking now. Check local gun shops. The big stores are a waste of time. I think this BS is gonna get over with, by summer, but you never know. I scored a brick of CCI SV LR, yesterday, for $35. It's out there, you just have to keep looking. Ta hell with them bastids on the net, that want $80-$100 for a brick. I hope they eat it!!

maddog

maddog

What scope do you have mounted on that rifle?
I ran this by a guy I know at the NSA and he came back with this translation....

I have found that if a person enters into a public relief facility and unwittingly opens that cheap roll-out window sash due to the "heat" the previous occupant created while doing his "business" owing to the lack of sufficient ventilation otherwise and then attempts to practice calling on his newly acquired rabbit squeal per the written instructions included in the packaging in an urban environment he will immediately draw the attention of nearby canines, their owners and then in turn, the local constabulary, in dutiful response to the plaintiffs entreaties long before he can conclude his turn on the porcelain and dispose of the resultant production well before he is able to master the intricacies of the recently obtained reed instrument.
Lockhart,
It's a VXII 3-9x40. A little big, but my eyes like it.

Maddog,
My local gun shop hasn't had any .22 in months though for a while they were getting a trickle in every few weeks. I hear the Walmart and Academy get some in, but I've never seen it. They're always out by the time I get over there. I remember shaking my head at folks who were stockpiling a year ago. I never figured it'd still be a problem getting ammo.
Originally Posted by Ella
Wonder how much a small game out of state permit costs in the show-me-state?

$80 per year, or $11 for a one-day permit. Lots of camp sites and lots of squirrels in the Mark Twain National Forest. Lots of ticks too, bring protection. It also goes better if you can identify poison ivy without touching it.
Well, I'm getting closer in stockpiling my camping gear for some campout/squirrel hunts, next fall. Got tent, cot, cast iron skillet, plates and some cooking utensils, water jugs, and yesterday I bought a 2 burner coleman stove and a couple of propane canisters. The rest of the stuff I think I need, I'll pick up at some garage sales this spring.

maddog
Need a gun bearer? whistle
Sure! But only if ya wear that leopard skin thong from the hog hunt.....just sayin'.....whistle grin

maddog
I left that in Bob's rental car�... whistle

It'll give the folks at Hertz something to talk about grin
Well it looks like we'll be having a spring skwerl season next year. I can't wait.
Wish we'd get a spring season, or better yet, open June 1, to Feb. 28.

maddog
Here's one for all you married squirrel hunters, in honor of St. Paddy's Day AND my Birthday! grin

laugh

maddog
Just 7 weeks until timber chicken season opens here in Southeast Missouri. I just traded for a Remington 511 with hard trigger pull. I hope I get it lightened before then. The sear engagement on those old guns leave a lot to be desired.
Originally Posted by Phillip_Nesmith
Got these two today. Twelve days left of hunting season here in Alabama.
[Linked Image]
pretty looking rifle
It'll be October before we can get after them again here Alabama. frown
Aug. 1 is D-Day for us hunters in Southern Illinois.

dave
The Saturday of Memorial Day weekend in May opens squirrel season here in Missouri.
Originally Posted by MOGC
The Saturday of Memorial Day weekend in May opens squirrel season here in Missouri.

That makes me jealous! Gotta wait til Aug. 15 for the Indiana opener..... frown

maddog
I usually don't mess with spring squirrels but this year I might make an exception since I just bought a 1968 Belgian Browning Auto Five 20 gauge vent rib 28" modified choke barrel - unfired and mint condition. Can't have that and the first available game will be squirrel season so I may just break the little lady A5 in on some squawks in May.
I wish we had a spring squirrel season. I'd rather hunt them than turkey. May limbchicken sounds like a fine spring.

Ella
The Indiana DNR is thinking about a spring season, but who knows when/if it will happen.

maddog
Our limit is ten squirrels, what is the daily limit allowed where you guys hunt?
Indiana is 5 daily, and 10 in possession.

maddog
10 here...
The Indiana DNR is thinking about a spring season, but who knows when/if it will happen.

maddog

What is the purpose of a spring season? Seems to me it would decrease squirrels numbers significantly�.
The reality is that it probably wouldn't have much impact on the population, because of little hunting pressure. There aren't near the squirrel hunters today, compared to 30 yrs. ago. Also, squirrels, in Indiana basically breed twice a yr. Dec./early Jan., and have the kits in March. If the put the spring season off until after turkey season[mid May], the young would be weaned. The other breeding season is June/early July and drop them about 45 days later, which puts that right at our season opener[Aug 15]. Other states such as Missouri and Arkansas start their seasons in May/June and run thru Feb. of the next yr. Again I think the impact would be minimal, due to lack of participation.

maddog
Thanks Mike. Kinda makes sense.
Saw a study years ago on dove mortality rates- IIRC it was 80% per year, whether they were hunted or not. With the fecundity rate of squirrels Id bet its the same...
Well, evidently the winter wasn't too hard on the squirrels, been seeing the little critters everywhere.

maddog
Running all over the place here too.
As you know, I really can't hunt them here, but Ill be retired soon, and trapping operations will be ramped up in the fall... whistle
Hey ingwe, get yerself a pellet gun....it'll make ya think yer back east huntin' limb chickens! grin

maddog
In the "for what it's worth" category.....

A couple a fellows that posted on this thread, last fall, indicated they'd like to get a H&R Sportster .22 rifle single shot. Just read, in the last 2 weeks, that they are dropping all rimfire barrels from the handi rifle lineup. Sooo....if you still want one, you better do it quick. They are still out there, but are getting very hard to find. I'm telling you, since Remington/Freedom group got ahold of Marlin/H&R, they've done nothing but go downhill..... frown

maddog
thanks MD, will check it out. BTW, just pick up a new to me skwerl getter. An old grade 3 semi with killer wood. Can't wait to try it on skwerl heads..
How about a pic of the new skwerl getter?

maddog
will try. Never did get the hang of posting pics. Heading out in a bit to do a SDakota, Mt Rushmore, Crazyhorse, Badlands, Cabelas,tour.
Have a great trip, schoolmarm!

maddog
saw Mt Rushmore and Crazyhorse to day, WOW!!! Doing the Black Hills and Deadwood tomorrow. Headed to Wyoming Sat. Bought a Leupold 2x7 for my new little Browning..
You aint headed to Montucky after Wyoming are you?
Was hoping but my activities director (mawsquaw) said we're headed to Colorado after Wyoming. Wish I'd packed a .22 for all the prairie dawgs I saw at Custer. Would probably have got put under the jail..
Gunshops along the way that I need to hit?
None that Im familiar with�.sorry.
Well boys, two months from today, is the opening of another limb chicken season, here in Indiana! I'm already counting the days.....grin

maddog
Me too! Can't wait!
Here I was hating I'd have to wait all summer. And already, it's only 2 months away. laugh

there's at least a dozen of the little limbrats in my backyard at anytime and me with a new skwerl rifle. May have to take a small sample just to see if it works. grin
So, what rifles you boys using this next season? I'm sticking with my H&R Sportster, but am going to use the 10/22 with the peep/fiber optic sights quite a bit. I really need to get my Marlin 39a out for a few hunts, also. Oh, BTW, I scored another brick of CCI SV LR, last week for $35. Life is good. grin

maddog
lucky dawg, finding those .22s. I'll start off with my new to me Browning .22 semi. I put a new Leupold 2x7 rimfire and it'll light matches. Got a german falling block with a 6x Ajak scope I'll use some. A couple of .22mags scream at me when they get left. I always carry my Win97 a few times. So many skwerl guns and so little time. Think I'll retire...
So, what you boys using this next season? I'm sticking with my H&R Sportster, but am going to use the 10/22 with the peep/fiber optic sights quite a bit.

Picked up this CZ .17 Mach II last season, but not in time to hunt much with it, so I'll be carrying it some this fall. Only shot 3 with it last year but it is like a death ray on squirrels.
[Linked Image]

Just recently grabbed this limited run 10/22 International with French walnut and basketweave checkering that I haven't scoped or even fired yet. Will probably go with a Nikon 4x32. Have plenty of time, since our season doesn't roll back around until October. Just as well, I have zero desire to get out in this heat. The limb chicken would spoil before he hit the ground!
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
love that 10/22 SC. That's a class act..
Yeah, that 10/22 is too purty to get skeeter dope/scratches on it. Just sayin......whistle grin

maddog
Yeah, that 10/22 is too purty to get skeeter dope/scratches on it. Just sayin......whistle grin

maddog

^^^^^this^^^^^

Well, mama is gonna be gone tonight, so I'm thawing out my last bag of limb chickens, for dinner tonight. Fried squill, fried zucchini, and beets for din din......YUM! grin

BTW, picked up two more bricks of CCI SV LR, a couple of days ago. I'm done buying for a year or so. They were $38/brick, out the door.

maddog
Out of the 10 squirrel limit I shot last week,5 were young fryers. Slow fried with gravy ,biscuits, and fresh wilted lettuce out of the garden made for a mighty fine feast! I scored on a couple bricks of Winchester sub-sonics last week so maybe things are improving a little.
I noticed yesterday the hickory trees in my back yard are hanging heavy with nuts about the size of a extra large marble. Squirrels usually start sampling them by the end of July and early August.
I've actually seen some early sampling going on around Wappapello lake so they may start a little early this year. That would be fine with me.
Well, my son made it home for a visit, yesterday. hadn't seen him in a month. Even with the threat of rain, we got the EZ up canopy set up, and my copper canyon tent set up under the carport, and seam sealed it. Pretty much getting ready for some squirrel hunt/campouts, next fall. We then proceeded out for lunch and a couple of brewskis. It was a great day.

maddog
Squirrel hunt/camping trip sounds like fun!
Here is a couple of pics of the tent, while Dan was seam sealing it for me. The tent's even big enough for a couple of old geezers like us can stand up in it! grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

maddog
Yup you no you are a redneck when.grin
I suppose you're gonna have cots/mattresses and the whole shebang in there???
YUP! Got a coleman deluxe xtra large cot with a mattress pad, deluxe camp chairs, and an EZ up canopy. New coleman stove, broke in cast iron, water jugs, etc. Gonna rough it gentleman like..... grin

maddog
Damn��

I could be talked into that!
Git yer butt back here, this fall, and we'll give it a go. Bring yer own cot, ya can't use mine.....grin

Better yet, be here third week of Sept., and go with me down to Shawnee for that big hunt with the boys over at rimfire central.

maddog
I have 1 more year teaching and then I'm tagging along with y'all. Ingwe, is retardment as much fun as it sounds like?
So far so good. Im even looking into doing a squirrel safari in Arizona for Tassel eared Aberts squirrels. grin
So far so good. Im even looking into doing a squirrel safari in Arizona for Tassel eared Aberts squirrels. grin

Make sure you use enough gun, them critters will charge.....just sayin'.....whistle grin

maddog
Well boys, 31 days til Indiana limb chicken season opens.....hard to believe it will soon be another season.....

maddog
Hope this weather stays like this.
Bat, looked at the long range forecast, looks like it will be warmer, opening weekend, but mid 70s to mid 80s look like the norm, until labor day.

Gonna take the Sportster out for a little sight in tuning, later on today.

maddog
Went to a local woods, about 1 pm for the final tune up on the Sportster. Prolly fire 10 rds., and walked down to check the target. Got to listening, and heard a fox squirrel giving me a cussing, about 75 yds. away. I grinned and thought, three more weeks you lil bastid......grin

maddog
Went to a local woods, about 1 pm for the final tune up on the Sportster. Prolly fire 10 rds., and walked down to check the target. Got to listening, and heard a fox squirrel giving me a cussing, about 75 yds. away. I grinned and thought, three more weeks you lil bastid......grin

maddog

grin

I need to get out and toss a few thru my CZ this week. My favorite season is quickly approaching!
The oaks and especially the hickories are LOADED with nuts in maddogs part of the state this year. I mean flat filthy with nuts. I'll try to get out the first weekend and to pass on the tradition. I took my oldest son squirrel hunting for his first hunt the year he turned 4. The youngest turned 4 last month, so it's his turn! Generally never get a shot at one with them along at that age, but they feel "big" especially when they get to pack the gun for a bit.

pointer, sure hope that's a good omen for an awesome season! grin

I just bought a cheap set of compact binocs to take with me when I'm hunting with my iron sighted rifle. Fine tuned the Sportster with the scope, last Sat. Got the knives sharpened. Gonna get some permithrin to spray on my hunting clothes, cause the ticks could be bad this year. Gawd, still have a little over 3 weeks to go. Right now, I'm figuring on hunting Fri. thru Mon. am, if I can.....

maddog
We've killed 110 so far here in Missouri. The hickorys are loaded and they are just now starting to sample them. In about a couple of weeks it ought to be just right! It's the time of year I live for.
Well, it's three weeks from today. I'm fixing to make my last batch of limb chicken chowder, this am. Already had the squirrels pressure cooked and boned. Mama's gonna be gone for the weekend, so ole Dexter and I are batching it. Gonna eat chowder til i blow up, and freeze the rest. grin

maddog
I've haven't had any issue with ticks yet this year, but did get into a mess of chiggers earlier this week. Still will be adding some permithrin to everything!

I think by opener that if you can find hickories, you'll find a few squirrels. I just hope this cool-ish weather hangs around. Good luck once it opens.
Just looked at the month long forecast for August[and obviously it can/will change], and it looks like temps 78 to 82 degrees, most days. If that's the case, should have a great first 30 days of squirrel season!

maddog
Bad news here. Out checking the acorn crop and there's none. Gonna make some of my skwerl spots tough to hunt. Good hickory and they're hitting the pines hard. Gonna be tough for the deer this year.
Originally Posted by skinner
We've killed 110 so far here in Missouri. The hickorys are loaded and they are just now starting to sample them. In about a couple of weeks it ought to be just right! It's the time of year I live for.

You seeing any acorns in your part of SE Missouri?
I am noticing some pin oaks but to be honest, I have paid more attention to the hickory mast. I am going tomorrow or Tuesday morning so I will have a better handle on the acorn situation.
I haven't been out yet and was wondering how the mast crop is looking. If you notice how the oaks seem to be bearing out this year and don't mind it, please let me know what you are seeing. Appreciate it...
I went yesterday and found that the squirrels are beginning to hit the pin oaks and pignut hickorys. The acorn mast is spotty with most of acorns coming from pin oaks and over cups but most of the hunting I've been doing has been in low lying areas. I going this morning to Wappapello lake so I will have a better idea what the red and white oak situation is.
Thanks for the information! Appreciate your updates.
So far, I don't think the white oak mast is going to amount to much. I am seeing pin oak,red oak, and over cup acorns. Over all, I don't think we are going to have as many acorns as last year.
Really... that is interesting. I am thinking ahead to deer season now.
2 weeks from today, we'll be at it, hunting limb chickens. Peep sight on my 10/22 worked loose, yesterday, while shooting with my son and soon to be son-in-law. Took it back out this am, and got it back on target. Gun shoots better than I do. grin

maddog
I'm ready for some chowder!

PS....Blue Loktite is our friend.. grin
They are hitting the hickory trees up here in south central Iowa.Gun is sighted and ready to go Aug.31 when we open.
Illinois season opened up Aug. 1st. I have 10 in the freezer from my first two hunts.

They were cutting acorns and trying some hickories out as well.

Took 4 off one white oak about 2 hours ago.. didnt have to take a step. Fired four times about 5 minutes apart, picked up the dead and moved on. Love it when it happens that way smile

dave
Dave, ya done good! Got my daughters wedding shower, next weekend, then I'm good to go. If the weather cooperates, I'm gonna hunt Fri., Sat., and Sun., opening weekend.

maddog
Take pictures.

Squirrel Appreciation Day is 1/21/2015.
Well boys, one week from right now, I'll be off to the woods for my first squirrel hunt of 2014. Can't believe how fast this year is going.

maddog
madanother month and a half. mad
Down to 2 days before the opening. Gonna spray my hunting clothes with permethrin and hang them out to dry, and finish putting odds/ends in the truck......

maddog
you suck.
Ours starts October 13th.

It's going to be a long time.....
Geez�when I lived there it was sometime in Sept�..too early actually, hot, leaves still on, warbles still in the squirrels...
I got the end all rifle for squirrel this year.

The Western Auto Revelation.

[Linked Image]

It's got an old weaver on it right now, but I'm thinking of crafting a peep sight to go on the dovetail.
Sweet! Looks like a 'Colteer'! laugh
It's one of those "Mikey" guns.

It eats everything.

Short, Long, Long Rifle,
cheap, standard, boutique,
lead, copper, even brass plated Remington
round nose, hollow points.

And once you adjust the sights/scope, its on.

I used it to shoot down some dead tree limbs near the house.
Took a few shots to blast it apart in the right spot, but it worked well.

And I can shoot off that cheap Centurion crap that doesn't work in anything else I have.
Tough to find anything in a lever .22 these days�take care of it!
Hey pointer and Batchief, you boys going out for opening day, tomorrow? I got everything ready and loaded in the truck. Heading out about 7 am.

maddog
Gotta work at the firehouse tomorrow. I'm gonna hit the woods Saturday afternoon.
Hey pointer and Batchief, you boys going out for opening day, tomorrow? I got everything ready and loaded in the truck. Heading out about 7 am.

maddog

mad my yard is full of them, still got to wait a month..

maddog
I got out that afternoon, but the 'guy' I took with me made it a bit tough to sit still and look for squirrels!
[Linked Image]

Getting to go on the first day of the season the year you turn 4 has become a tradition in my house! wink

© 24hourcampfire