Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 25 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 24 25
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Got out about 9:30 am, and hit a new woods. Only saw one squirrel by 11 am., so moved to another woods. By then, the sun had come out, and the wind was nil. Hadn't any more than got into the woods, when a squirrel jumped up on the side of a tree. I took a hasty shot with the 10/22 and missed. Went on down through the woods, and caught one feeding on the ground at about 35 yds. Tried a freehand shot, and thought I'd missed. Eased down there and was kinda looking around, when i caught a glimpse of a tail, on the side of a tree about 20 ft. away. I threw a stick on the other side of the tree, and the squirrel hit the ground running. He went about 20 yds. and jumped up on the side of a tree. THIS time I didn't miss! grin

[Linked Image]

Went on, and saw another squirrel, but couldn't get close. Was heading back to the truck, hunting as I went. Saw something off to my left, and just stood there. Five very nice does were feeding and just meandering through the woods. Today was the last day of our firearms deer season. I didn't care, there's a muzzleloader season coming up in another week. If the boy comes up, we'll give it a try then. I'm about to the point where I won't hunt them anymore, by myself, because I can't hardly handle them. Dang sight easier to haul that squirrel back to the truck. Got there and cleaned it, when I took off, the truck thermometer said 47 degrees. The most beautiful day we've had in over two weeks.

maddog

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Gonna try it in the morning, Dog. cool

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Good luck! Sounds like the weather is gonna go south on us, starting about Wed. My son wanted to go hunting thurs., as well as get his ML sighted in. Guess we'll have to see about the weather, wed. eve.

maddog

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Saw 2,,,got a shot on 1 and missed, dagnabbit! Oh well, it was a beautiful day to be out.

Weather's gonna turn to crap here next week.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Told the boy to bag thurs. Don't see any hunting, now for 10 days, or so.

maddog

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Sorry dbl. post

maddog

Last edited by maddog; 12/02/13.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well done guys! I'm itching to get after them again. Was in 'squirrel central' on Monday (deer reduction hunt at a state park). Kinda put my trigger finger to itching... laugh

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Gonna get cold and nasty here in Indiana this weekend. May be a few days before heading out again.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Batchief909
Gonna get cold and nasty here in Indiana this weekend. May be a few days before heading out again.

same here...had plans on hunting this weekend, weatherman says Ice Storm cometh, so i'll catch up on reloading instead. Have a new squirrel slayer i'm itching to break in, now looks like a no-go. frown

if the following weekend is nice though, i'll rain death from afar, with a 17HMR....

============================================================

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I've had a couple of days off to be able to get in the woods.
Trapper is doing pretty good even though the tree rats haven't been moving much. I think it's been due to the lack of food, don't know. My son hasn't gotten mad at all for texting him pics of my morning hunts with his dog while he's in school.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

thanks for letting me share,

R.D.

For HIS service,

R.D.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Nice pics of a good looking hound. Mt. Cur?

maddog

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
yes sir. He's strictly squirrel. Plus we've got another that's strictly coon. And a blond female with a litter of brindle pups that I'm hoping she'll turn out to be a combo dog.

For HIS service,

R.D.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, mama went bowling tonight, so it was time for some limb chickens. Every thurs. for the last 4 weeks, I've had BBQ squirrel, in the crockpot. Tonight, I did something different. Hadn't had fried squirrel in 2 yrs. I put 1 squirrel in a pan and boiled it for 20 mins. Rinsed it, and patted it dry. Dipped in flour, then egg, then flour again[flour was seasoned with garlic and black pepper]. Chicken fried it for 7 min. on a side, then turned the heat on low for 10 min., to simmer. Took it out, then added the flour/milk, and made gravy. I'm stuffed ! Me and Dexter the dog[aka butthead], enjoyed a fine meal! grin All washed down with a big ole glass of ice tea! Life is good!

maddog

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
That does sound good! Now I'm hungry again! grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by maddog
Well, mama went bowling tonight, so it was time for some limb chickens. Every thurs. for the last 4 weeks, I've had BBQ squirrel, in the crockpot. Tonight, I did something different. Hadn't had fried squirrel in 2 yrs. I put 1 squirrel in a pan and boiled it for 20 mins. Rinsed it, and patted it dry. Dipped in flour, then egg, then flour again[flour was seasoned with garlic and black pepper]. Chicken fried it for 7 min. on a side, then turned the heat on low for 10 min., to simmer. Took it out, then added the flour/milk, and made gravy. I'm stuffed ! Me and Dexter the dog[aka butthead], enjoyed a fine meal! grin All washed down with a big ole glass of ice tea! Life is good!

maddog
Through it some fried potatoes and that may very well be my favorite meal! I've got some in the freezer for a batch of chowder later this year, so I need to get out and do some "shopping"... laugh Too bad the weather and holidays are getting in the way.

Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Mike, fried squirrel with gravy,and some manner of potatoes�I am not kidding when I say I can't think of a better meal�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
found a few pix from about 3 weeks ago, ended up getting 4 squirrels total that day. wind was howling, very hard to spot movers when the whole tree is shaking.

burr oaks were dropping:
[Linked Image]

and, all the white oaks seemed to produce a good crop too:
[Linked Image]

packed the Kimber HS on that hunt:
[Linked Image]

got 5 inches of snow yesterday so i'm thinkin the squirrels are gonna have to get out and work for the food a little...may go out Sunday, depending on weather.

============================================================

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
I gotta get back in the woods. I've killed 30 squirrels this season and have already eaten them all.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Congrats,,,and nice rig!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Well, mama's got some honey-dos this am, but if the wind isn't blowing, and it stays sunny, I may go out for a quickie limb chicken hunt, between 11 and 2.

maddog

Page 12 of 25 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 24 25

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (1lesfox, 1beaver_shooter, 222Sako, 12344mag, 1badf350, 204guy, 61 invisible), 2,321 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,509
Posts18,509,355
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.