Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Looking for a CMP approved 1911 for EIC matches. My brother is buying me my choice of handgun as a gift and I don't have a 1911 .45 yet, so I thought I'd get one that I could shoot CMP bullseye matches with.
Anyone got any recommendations?

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
By far, at least IMHO, the Beretta tweaked is a better gun at that game than the 1911.

I've shot 3 CMP leg matches, all wiht Berettas, and have 20 points to distinguished, both were golds, but then crossfired in a rapid somehow and nothing on the 3rd.

IF you run 1911, download the rapids IMHO.

The 9mm was SUPER accurate at 50 yards. I shot a fair amount of Xs with it.

I tried a couple of built 45s in practice and never did shoot as well with them.

Other than that, if going 1911, custom built would be the way to go. 3 inches at 50 yards though as a guarantee with ball is only the 10 ring with no room for error. The berettas build by Kidd were evidently well inside 3 incehs at 50

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've already got a Beretta, so I guess I'll just stick with it. Maybe get me something else entirely...like a .22 revolver...or maybe a compact 9mm for CC.

BTW Jeff, were your Beretta's stock or accurized?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Stock won't cut it in bullseye. Especially the CMP matches you mention IE leg matches

Kidd did the ones I shot. I don't know that he does them anymore. Which would be a shame. There is another that does them, maybe a Samm or Sams? Both were military armorers for pistol teams as I recall.

About 1700 ready to go years ago, you have the pistol so thats a start.

Were I to shoot bullseye vs CMP the 1911 would get the nod.

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
One Pistol Distinguished shooter told me he made Distinguished with a plain old Beretta, I think new sights and that was it.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
That could happen, I suppose you get teh right gun off the line maybe, and lucky.

But I've shot both rack and customs, never got lucky enough to grab a rack one that shot well enough, IMHO, to have an advantage over a good 1911.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Jeff,
Yes, David Sams does 'em but it's well over $2,000 and a 2-yr. wait. Out of principle alone, I'm not spending THAT much just to have one accurized.

And I did get lucky with mine, at least according to a young friend of mine, Christopher Hudock, who made the All-American pistol team and is triple distinguished (2 + revolver). He came home from the Citadel a couple of winters ago and needed to borrow a pistol for an EIC match because he left his somewhere else with the team or something, so I let him borrow mine (a $300 police trade-in from that place in Arizona, btw). He shot it and said it was "charmed"...said not to fool with it.
Maybe I'll look into some better sights for it, but I think I'll leave it alone and just try it stock.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Try away. 2000 is chump change in competitive shooting. I'd drop that in a heartbeat IF I was serious about it.

The wait no one can do anything about though. But its like good barrels, you end up waiting on them most of the time. But as good as teh good ones are, the wait doens't kill me.

Competitive shooting is not a Mc Donalds sport anyway.

BUT if another shooter shot yours and gave it good reviews, then get after it. I would find it hard to believe a stock Beretta would be a 3 inch or less ball gun at 50 yards for 10 shot groups but you might be lucky!

Good luck!

Jeff

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Well I am kind of like you in that I wanted to try a CMP match but I did not want to put a lot into a pistol until I was sure about it. I have a Dan Wesson Point Man 7 that I shoot very little but they will not make the rules stock. Doing things on the cheap and not wanting to make any permanent changes to the gun; I put a GI hammer, grip safety, and thumb safety on the pistol to replace the stock parts that were not allowed. I then changed the spring so that it would pick up a 4 lb trigger weight. I can return the pistol to factory specs by just putting the parts back in. I do agree with the accuracy requirements discussed. I have not found any factory ammo that shot well enough to suit me. The Sierra 230 FMJ tournament master bullets are worth the money and get a load your pistol likes.

Below is a link to the rule book. Pages 31 - 37 explain the pistol requirements and what is permitted. Hope this helps.

http://www.odcmp.com/competitions/rulebook.PDF

Last edited by saleen322; 09/23/13.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Or if you are not serious about CMP pistol, just buy a good one, shoot a few matches until you are distinguished and P100 and then resell the pistol for most of what you have in it.

IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by rost495
Or if you are not serious about CMP pistol, just buy a good one, shoot a few matches until you are distinguished and P100 and then resell the pistol for most of what you have in it.

I guess you could go that way. If you look at entry leg scores, it seems that getting into the mid 250s gets you in contention. A search of local matches shows some in the 260s while you will see someone leg in the 240s in some reports. At Perry this year, the sheet shows 29 got 10 leg points with the lowest at 255. I am new to this and only shot 2 matches. The first I did about everything wrong and got a 240 and the second I was not smooth but better than before and shot a 258. I am going to shoot a third and see what happens. I have to be better before I can justify $2000 for a ball gun.

National Scores: http://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=match&task=edit&tab=results&match=10086

Last edited by saleen322; 09/23/13.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Or you have to have a better gun before you can shoot a better score... possibly.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Folks keep harping on distinguished, but I'd rather be shooting hi-master any time, than distinguised. A person can literally "get lucky" in a few EIC matches, and end up distinguished, yet not end up rated very high.

Ghost
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Of course some of us just want to have the double distinguished badge and never shoot pistol again.

But I agree on lucky. I never was though. Had to shoot IIRC 270 plus for legs. Which, at least for me, having only shot 3 leg matches and no other pistol in my life other than IDPA a few times, doesn't seem bad.

Of cousre if you are shooting high master with a pistol, you should already be distinguished.

I'm high master both XC and LR with teh AR in service rifle. Its kinda hard to make HM with an AR at long range....

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I don't know anything about CMP requirements, but I have 3 Colt 1911 pistols that were owned by a Korean War vet and active military match shooter who recently passed on. His wife has asked me to sell off his firearms. There are 3 1911s, 1 is 1943 issue, one is a Govt Series 70, and one is a real McCoy US ARMY National Match.

The 1943 and the Series 70 have been fitted for target shooting, with top rib extensions by Bomar and Giles, and have stippling on the front grip like a National Match.

I'll sell the original National Match as a collector, but the other 2 would make good shooters, for sure. I have a few hundred rounds of the wadcutter ammo he used in the handguns as well.

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
What are you calling real mccoy us army national match? Its possible I could be interested.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I would like to buy the one in the center without a rib. How much for it? Thanks.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Price and description on the wadcutter too please.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I had it looked at by a retired ARMY armorer. We went through all the subtle markings, numbers, and all that to make sure it wasn't a dummied-up 1911. The deceased owner was a Korean War vet and remained active in shooting military match events throughout his life, so that didn't surprise me. Unlike the Govt (civilian) and Gold Cup National Match pistols, a US ARMY NM was made for use by the military shooting teams. Not a whole lot of authentic ones out there.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
actually there are a LOT more authentic ones otu there than you might now. Armorers made a bit of spare change on the side working on them for buddies and competitors and such.

Now that we know its an actual built NM and not just a "gold cup" thing, got any clue of accuracy, barrel rounds fired etc? And how much is the price.

You can PM me the info if you like.

I had one once, a buddy had it done at Ft Benning while he was still in, but he bought it back from me...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

511 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 16gage, 160user, 54 invisible), 2,708 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,365
Posts18,488,160
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.