Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Would never hang a whitetail from TX in my house, personally. I'm not big on the whole corn and fences thing.

Damn magnificent trophy bull there! Bet it would take up some real estate in the house without a doubt! Not my business what he does with the head.

Is an elk tag pretty hard to draw in MN? I'd presume so, but I've no frickin clue on game regs there having only ever driven through.

MAGA
GB1

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
IN the upper midwest nature conservancy land is road less land open to hunting. Its anything but a park and gets hunted pretty hard.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Would never hang a whitetail from TX in my house, personally. I'm not big on the whole corn and fences thing.

Damn magnificent trophy bull there! Bet it would take up some real estate in the house without a doubt! Not my business what he does with the head.

Is an elk tag pretty hard to draw in MN? I'd presume so, but I've no frickin clue on game regs there having only ever driven through.

Yes, very hard to draw a tag and just once in a lifetime I believe.

Last edited by Ghostinthemachine; 10/02/13.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
Actually the guy needs a new wife or none at all.

As mentioned, we don't know all the facts.

Like what if the wife worked for the place the elk lived at?

We don't even know if this bull had a name.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Like the Spider Bull from a few years back? Believe that one was from Utah or Nevada, I forget. grin

Team Mossback. 13 guides and one shooter.

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Damn, what a nice bull, congrats to the hunter.

Gunner

Trump Won!
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff

That BIGASS'D Suburban of yorn would handily haul his big ass back to the house. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Interesting history behind Minnesota elk.

Minnesota Elk Management

Seems their planting food plots to keep them out of food plots.

This elk is not as big as the one from the same area that tripped on a fence a few years ago.

4th biggest elk trips on fence

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I remember that one. Kind of a cool story, actually.

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
It leaves a bad taste in my mouth when some of you jump to conclusions right away because you are not the one with a nice Elk. Sounds just like some news agencies after the Naval yard shooting about the guy having a friggin AR-15. If something was amiss it will come out. Until then, just congratulate the Guy on a nice animal, pick on his wife some or the fact he may sound a little whipped. At least he is still married and has more then half of his stuff. Congrats to the hunter!!

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

The Nature Conservancy is an organization that buys large tracts of land, often adjacent to large public tracts and preserves them as wild lands, often gifting them to state or federal agencies. I guess some would call them tree huggers.

Link to the Minnesota elk story and the Nature Conservancy's part in it:
http://www.wiktel.net/birdsanctuary/elk%20history.htm

Oh, and I think he should get a new house to display it in.

Bill

There are many copies.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That sort of raises the question about who is jumping conclusions. Unless I missed who is saying it is not a nice elk?

I spent 28 years in Minnesota, and never seen a wild elk there. My cousin does raise elk in Minnesota. Huge off the record-book huge elk.

But it's not the same as here (Colorado), not good vs bad, just not the same.
Maybe it's the comments referring to this story of interest that gave you the bad taste in your mouth?

Elk are hard to manage in Minnesota, I provided a link in reference to their reliance on humans.
And in my opinion, elk are no longer indigenous to Minnesota because of this, not in the least.

Not better, different then back home (Minnesota) , this was my morning walk.

[Linked Image]

Easy to catch the sunrise, elk bugeling all night!
Too close to home, to much exposure to humans for me to call it a hunt. But they are fun to practic calling on!

I am happy for the hen-pecked hunter!
But it is not what I would call a hunt, not the way his elk are managed.
IMO.

Without jumping conclusions, is it alright to assume the question why Cabelas denied displaying the rack?

Again, we don't have all the facts.
But it would not surprise me if this elk had an ear tag.

It is a nice bull, grain fields sure did put some horn on his head!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
For the uninformed, MN offers a very limited # of elk permits each year to attempt to control ag depredation in two or three areas of NW MN. Some of the land in each zone is Wildlife Management Area public land but there are also many acres of agricultural lands interspersed throughout the areas. Generally the herds number around 60 +/- animals each and the herd capacity goal is around 30 animals per zone. These are once in a lifetime hunts and generally between 25-30 permits are available each year and there are over 1000 applicants. A drawing is held to determine succesful hunters and then a second drawing for zone and type of animal is held. These are free range animals and the fair chase hunts are licensed and administered by the MN DNR. These are not wilderness hunts since the typical land ownership holding per family is a few hundred acres to a few thousand acres. Not unlike many of the private land areas in ag valley areas of western states where the animals congregate on good quality ag forage until driven off by hunter pressure. The land is generally flat and much of the public land is high water table lands or forested/brush lands. The bull in the article this year was taken on a piece of land owned by the Nature Conservancy which allows hunting but does not permit motorized vehicles. Typically this owner acquires lands and ultimately sells them to state or federal governments when funds become available.Check out the MN DNR website for additional information.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
heck, even back in the 80s, the DNR had a hell of a time trying to capture those elk from doing crop destruction, and relocate them....

my first wife was like that also.... "you aren't hanging that in MY HOUSE!!!!", like she was the only one who lived there....

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Great bull.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The pictures won;t load for me, can a kind soul send one over here on the forum?

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Try this link. More pics and the actual hunt story.

http://outdoorchannel.com/article.aspx?id=18039&articletype=article

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Shot it with a .270. How did that happen? Amazing.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
That's what I was thinking. Had to be a misprint. smile

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I think if the elk herd in MN is allowed to grow it will be less and less dependent upon humans, with the amount getting into farmer's crops they might have picked the wrong area to reintroduce them.

there are a few states east of the Mississippi that have re-introduced elk and they seem to be doing fine, i'm sure each area has some that get into fields and cause some damage but so do deer and bears so not the end of the world in my eyes

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

66 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 99Ozarks, 6MMWASP, Akhutr, 8 invisible), 1,697 guests, and 813 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,908
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.