Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 19 of 21 1 2 17 18 19 20 21
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I thought I answered. He told us we have to live in this world. He didnt tell us to be ignorant. I figure its pretty clear one can get all the education they want, but when one starts thinking they know it all or that they weren't created by the Creatorbut by accidental happenstance they are messing up. Water is good but too much can absolutely drown a person.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Jim, Excellent post!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Many of those Biblical parables and stories had already with stood the test of time before they were ever written in Hebrew or Greek. It's no mystery, good literature often draws from history and old sources that was are already familiar and comfortable with.

Everyday science proves unbelievers wrong. wink

http://news.discovery.com/history/r...eds-light-on-biblical-history-130731.htm

A few characters on the side of a 3,000-year-old earthenware jug dating back to the time of King David has stumped archaeologists until now -- and a fresh translation may have profound ramifications for our understanding of the Bible.

Experts had suspected the fragmentary inscription was written in the language of the Canaanites, a biblical people who lived in the present-day Israel. Not so, says one expert who claims to have cracked the code: The mysterious language is actually the oldest form of written Hebrew, placing the ancient Israelites in Jerusalem earlier than previously believed.

"Hebrew speakers were controlling Jerusalem in the 10th century, which biblical chronology points to as the time of David and Solomon," ancient Near Eastern history and biblical studies expert Douglas Petrovich told FoxNews.com.

"Whoever they were, they were writing in Hebrew like they owned the place," he said.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by eyeball
BS

Can you be more specific?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
The highly educated are more likely to lean on their own explanation (understanding) and be misled. They know it all and can't make a hair on their head.

Really??

But we can grow new noses:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...ed-original-after-accident-29613812.html

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Jim, I've long held the path to Enlightenment (for westerners) is a road passing through one of the Abrahamic religions, meandering through the lands beyond, until the traveler discovers their transcendent principles that brings them peace with their place in the Universe. It's always fun to meet a fellow travel who's made it past the first small town, most in our culture never do. You've walked a few trails I've yet to discover. Thanks for sharing, I enjoy the prospect of new spiritual paths open to discovery.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by RickyD
Many of those Biblical parables and stories had already with stood the test of time before they were ever written in Hebrew or Greek. It's no mystery, good literature often draws from history and old sources that was are already familiar and comfortable with.

Everyday science proves unbelievers wrong. wink

http://news.discovery.com/history/r...eds-light-on-biblical-history-130731.htm

A few characters on the side of a 3,000-year-old earthenware jug dating back to the time of King David has stumped archaeologists until now -- and a fresh translation may have profound ramifications for our understanding of the Bible.

Experts had suspected the fragmentary inscription was written in the language of the Canaanites, a biblical people who lived in the present-day Israel. Not so, says one expert who claims to have cracked the code: The mysterious language is actually the oldest form of written Hebrew, placing the ancient Israelites in Jerusalem earlier than previously believed.

"Hebrew speakers were controlling Jerusalem in the 10th century, which biblical chronology points to as the time of David and Solomon," ancient Near Eastern history and biblical studies expert Douglas Petrovich told FoxNews.com.

"Whoever they were, they were writing in Hebrew like they owned the place," he said.

Ricky, in terms of archeological discoveries, the Bible's batting about 500. As for the above story, many archeologist contend the Jews were in Palestine long before the supposed time of the Exodus, so discovering early Hebrew writing after this time frame is not earth shattering, and neither confirms or refutes the overall validity of the Bible.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
The highly educated are more likely to lean on their own explanation (understanding) and be misled. They know it all and can't make a hair on their head.

Really??

But we can grow new noses:

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/n...ed-original-after-accident-29613812.html

My nose can smell.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats Jim on a sane world view w/o the blind cant, intolerance, and outright quackery that is often shoveled around here.

Of course, you will not be able to set up a tent and shakedown the rubes for nickels with it but it will see you through to the other side w/o insult to the human race.

1B

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
You know, I've never read the Bible, at least not the whole thing. I read the first 8 books or so of the New Testament (love the first four) but got tired of Paul's self centered attitude. I've also read some selected verses in that portion that is a collection of Jewish history and mythology. The Psalms are very pretty and I really like them. But while a lot of the things in the first four books of the second part are great, the whole book is not what I'm going off of.

I have read the Tao te Ching - great book! - and the Bhagavad Gita all the way through, the Tibetan Book of the Dead (boring!), the poems of Jalal al'din Rumi (only other poet I ever liked besides e.e. cummings), some writings of Marcus Aurelius, Emerson's essays, Tolstoy, some 20th century psychologists like Jung and a bunch of other guys not affiliated with any sect or religion whose names escape me at the moment. I spent an entire summer reading "Psychological Commentaries on the Teachings of Gurdjieff and Ouspensky" - all five frickin' volumes! I've also dabbled in physics, how this universe works at the atomic and smaller level - Hawking and Michiu Kaku can explain it without talking down to you.

FWIW, I have been a computer programmer and analyst for 32 years now, I make my living dealing with stone cold logic.

But ultimately "Reason" has nothing to do with it. I am convinced there is a higher power and ultimately this higher power is benevolent. This higher power isn't owned by any one sect or religion and our wars and hatred and destruction to prove otherwise probably make this higher power just shrug his metaphorical shoulders and say, "whatever".

Folks who do not accept this higher power try to prove rationally why there is no higher power and that's cool with me. I just finished a book titled "The History of God" by a very scholarly ex-nun who traced the attitudes and evolving beliefs about this character or thing commonly known as "God" and the Greeks, some sects of Muslims, Jews and Christians have all gone round and round about that for 4,000 years. They try to prove he exists philosophically, they try to prove it rationally, they eventually all give up and just say f*** it, he exists so don't worry. Then a few hundred years later some more folks try to do it all over again.

Along with the age of reason in the 1700's a lot of folks said, "if you can't see, hear, touch, taste or smell it, it doesn't exist." And we're still very much in that period.

I'm not here to convince anybody one way or the other. And I don't want to hear from those folks who want me to accept their image of this God. A favorite prayer of mine is "God, please save me from those people who want to save me." My salvation is my business and someone else's salvation is their business and not my responsibility.

I just know that this higher power exists. I'm not going to say why I know because I'm pretty sure that proof presents itself to each person in a way unique to that person. As to exactly what this higher power is and what it's all about - the hell if I know! An ant understands the inner workings of a microchip far better than we can understand the workings of this higher power. That's another conclusion everyone in history who was serious about this came to.

Again, I'm not here to convince someone else yea or nay. But I have spent five years studying this, seriously. Since 2008 I have devoted my life to finding out what people in all places and throughout history have learned and thought about this. Seek and ye shall find. So I sought - earnestly, that's the whole key - and just let chance and intuition guide me as to where to look next.

Folks who lived 1500 years before that Jewish carpenter was born, folks who by physical location never heard of Jesus will all tell you the same thing about the human condition as he did. They tell you how to be happy here and now, not "do good and you'll get a pass to a Golden Gated Community in the Sky by and by". As Pascal's wager states, if doing good helps when I'm dead, cool. If not, oh well. But I lived a happy life. At least I've learned how to live a happy life. The first 50 years sucked, but these last five have been great and it gets better with each passing day.

So, if I lose Mr. Pascal's wager, so what? I have learned to relax, I don't harbor hatred or anger toward people, I wish them well no matter what religious sect or political stripe they are. Not because I'm afraid of the Big Guy in the Sky and his retribution like the old Jews were and a lot of fire and brimstone Christians will tell you today. I have learned to love because someone, something, somewhere, set it up so our anger and hatred only hurts ourselves.

But all this transformation happened because I just accepted that there is a higher power. That doesn't stop me from believing in quarks or dark matter or evolution or anything else our scientists, men of reason, have discovered. But in our arrogance going back about 300 years, we think we know it all. There have been geniuses and educated people throughout history and each one thought he "knew it all" - flat earthers, Greeks and their earth, air, fire and water, et cetera. I just believe that there is something "out there" we can't discover through physical exploration. "Out there" is really a misdirection - you have to look inside yourself. The Indians and some Chinese are a lot better at that than we are, btw, and they're not even "Christians".

Well, sorry to take everyone's time if you've managed to make it this far. But again, what you all believe is up to YOU. Don't let anyone berate you into their way of thinking because I guaran-damn-tee they don't know what's best for you, only you do.

So if someone doesn't want to believe there is a "God" - I think that word sucks because there is way too much emotional crap attached to it, we need a different one - but if someone doesn't want to believe there is a higher power, that's really okay with me. I am firmly convinced that there is.

Jim, one of the better posts I've read on the fire.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jim kinda got us off track. He must be be an agent of Satan.

All REAL Christians need to get back to castigating Steelhead.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by curdog4570

Anybody ever stop to consider that maybe, just maybe, Steelhead is exactly what we say? I know crazy right?!!!

Hate the Christians all you want, doesn't change the fact that Steelhead's a troller.

Last edited by Fireball2; 10/05/13.

LOL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fireball2

Good plan. Let's talk about the darkness hating the light.

That's much too abstract........... proper hate needs a person to focus on.

Steelhead has at least ONE redeeming virtue; he rid us of BLAINE, aka AFP.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I could hear your voice saying that as I read it.

I'll be right back, I need to clean up the sarcasm that dripped onto my keyboard. grin

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
grin

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Jim, good points all.

the rules & regs. of YHWH seem to live on in some modern day Christian sects.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
[quote=Fireball2]

Steelhead has at least ONE redeeming virtue; he rid us of BLAINE, aka AFP.

Yep, he did! smile There is a lot more I could say about that but won't say more than Blane did a LOT more harm that good.

Scott has many more redeeming values that just that. In years past he has shared his artistry with a camera and added much to the knowledge base on hunting and fishing among other things. He really pisses me off when he starts posts like this one but he would be welcomed in my home any day of the week.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Scott F
...he would be welcomed in my home any day of the week.

Same here.

Ed

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by Scott F
...he would be welcomed in my home any day of the week.

Same here.

Ed

I met Scott for the first time in March at the boar hunt, and while I didn't spend as much time with him as some here, I found him to be a real sweet, gentle soul in person and face-to-face.

One thing about him, though. It seems like every time Scott sees a man with a poker up his ass, he just has to reach out and give it a little shake. He's funny that way.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by tjm10025

One thing about him, though. It seems like every time Scott sees a man with a poker up his ass, he just has to reach out and give it a little shake. He's funny that way.

I bet he just had to ring the ship's bell every time he walked past it, too. grin

Ed

Page 19 of 21 1 2 17 18 19 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (06hunter59, 160user, 257wthbylover, 219DW, 270cowboy, 22250rem, 59 invisible), 1,778 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,134
Posts18,523,194
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.