Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GuyM
And Great Shooting AALF, I never tried my .25-06 at 1000. Impressive!

Thanks.....

At the Iowa 1K BR club, we had a factory class, so I picked up this Sendero in 25-06 to use. Nothing done to it but bedding, and it was a hammer.

Like a typical dumb [bleep], I sold it, thinking the VLS 260 I found could out shine the Sendero. You can guess how that turned out.....

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Adds credence to the old German adage that says

"Why do we get so soon olt and so late schmardt."

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well I think this answers the question.

The 25/06 can easily be set up for some great 500-700 yard shooting with a practical expectation of success.

I suppose the best game in town is the Berger 115's although I would prefer the 100 grain TSX cause I have lots of them.

So this 4.5-14 Leupold I have now is gonna be the scope. Next part of the scope plan is what crosshairs and which dial elevation Adjustment?

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Go ahead and try the TSXs. The 100 gr Matchkings work pretty good but not AS good as the Bergers. Starting velocity is about three hundred fps ahead of the Bergers but trajectory is nearly the same. And seems like they hit the target harder. Bergers make a good mark but sometimes I kinda have to hunt to see for sure where the MKs hit. Must be from bullet construction.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The 100 TSX works superbly out to about 400-450 yards, beyond that even a faint wind will play havoc with POI. The VLD cuts the wind better and retains velocity better, as well.

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I've been following this thread with a lot of interest and been meaning to chime in, just haven't had time.
I've been wanting to run my .25-06 "way on out there" but never have taken the time. Plus, places to shoot that far out are pretty rare in my immediate vicinity. Good news is, we've found a couple spots, and it has renewed my interest.
Soooo....
It seems that 115 Bergers are about the best place to start, (please correct me if I'm wrong)figure I'll just keep pouring RL22 until I hit about 3k or so accross the chrony.
I'm running an A-Bolt II, guessing a 10 twist, so I don't expect any problems as it's done well with 117 SGK's and 120 NPT's before. Mag has plenty of room so I don't expect any trouble there.
After deer season, I'm gonna send my old Vari-X III 4.5-14 x 50 to Leupold for an M-1 Turret. Prolly stick with the duplex reticle as everything I 've found on their website (again, correct me if I'm wrong)runs Mils and I'm not keen trying to keep up with both in my finite mind.

A few questions:

First, if anyone has anything to add or correct, I'd welcome it.

Second, this scope sits in old Leupy high rings and bases (no 20MOA rail here), how far would someone reckon I could dial out to with this particular setup?

How do the Bergers perform on game? I know they'll kill deer, but I guess I'm asking how well do they penetrate on a good sized pig and how well do they blow up on a 'yote?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I think I've been talked into a 243.(grin)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boxer
I think I've been talked into a 243.(grin)

Wuss. whistle

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Potsy,

You and I are in the same boat right now. I will also be doing this same testing and sorting out of the bits to make this work.

There is a Youtube video if you search by a fella shooting gallon jugs and bowling pins at 800 plus yards with his 26/06. Never misses them, they just explode!

The delay in the impact makes this quite credible. From the crack of the gun until the jug explodes seems like forever!

I too have a 4.5-14 Leupold, but I have a 40mm Obj. I have a 26" barrel though. I'm anxious to develop this for the longer open country shots that are the only thing available along the river.

I'm leaning towards the CDS reticle, as it will be used by folks ( kids and a lady) that are not going to have a clue about adjustment other then just saying " set it to 6.5" After I range a target. The CDS on my .223 works flawlessly to 400 yards, although the dial goes to 550, I've never shot it that far. If the 25/06 will only go to 500-600 then I have to do something else. My goal is to get 650-700 yards on this, anything more will be a bonus.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Yep...I'll greedily take less dope on the erector and windage stadia,along with diminished recoil and increased impact velocity...due my feeble nature.

You mighta talked me into a 243AI.(grin)

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boxer
Yep...I'll greedily take less dope on the erector and windage stadia,along with diminished recoil and increased impact velocity...due my feeble nature.

You mighta talked me into a 243AI.(grin)

Now yer gettin somewhere.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
WOW! Holy smokes! 850yds?!? That is awesome!

I read in F&S that a 22" 243AI with a 250yd zero,would reach that distance with sub 15MOA dumped in it's erector,fend a 10mph full value wind with but 4.6MOA requisite and arrive at 1920 fps+.

A 25-06 with the longer case,longer action,more case capacity and increased recoil...should really crush that benchmark.

Then again.

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Have you considered a thread for the .243? This was a 25/06 thread. Granted the .243 is an outstanding tool, However I don't have a .243. I do have a 25/06.

Hence the discussion topic here.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Fairly certain that "For Sale" signs are readily available and can even be self-made. Hint.

I may have shot a 25-06.

Once.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Boxer,

Was kinda hopin' you'd chime in. Didn't doubt you'd wax poetic on the virtues of most things 6mm. Honestly, someday, several paychecks (and several threads!) down the road, I'm kinda droolin' on the thought of a 6-284, Mickey or Manners, Nightforce, etc.

But for the moment, if you've any input on bullets (or anything else) for the .25, I'm sure JJ and I would much appreciate it. I do remember reading on here long ago that you did have some experience with most things quarter bore.

I fully realize that my A-Bolt and the way it is set up is far from being anything you might appreciate, but it was a present from my folks and I'll always have it. It's my go-to when the range gets longish (understand, thus far about 350 has been it's furthest poke, and that was some time back, so my "longish" is pretty short). It has, however, killed what it has shot at well enough and I'd like to adapt it to poking a little further until funds provide for my own "laser ph***ing beam".

Thanks!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm starting recall,that I just might have some Quarterbore Familiarity too.

Hmmmmmm...an A-Bort in 25-06?!?

Likely gonna take (2) "For Sale" signs to pull that off.(grin)

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I figured I'd take a bit of static over the "A-Bort". Figure you'd love the windage adjustable leupy bases as well. whistle

Question is, were you forced to shoot a round headstamped .25-06, regardless of what brand the rifle was, where would you start? Moreover, what were you shooting in the quarter-bores before you became smitten with various and sundry .243's?

Last edited by Potsy; 10/24/13.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'd start at the start and sell 'em...or rebarrel.

Mainly because I couldn't stand to pizz up them ropes.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Potsy
Boxer,

Was kinda hopin' you'd chime in. Didn't doubt you'd wax poetic on the virtues of most things 6mm. Honestly, someday, several paychecks (and several threads!) down the road, I'm kinda droolin' on the thought of a 6-284, Mickey or Manners, Nightforce, etc.

But for the moment, if you've any input on bullets (or anything else) for the .25, I'm sure JJ and I would much appreciate it. I do remember reading on here long ago that you did have some experience with most things quarter bore.

I fully realize that my A-Bolt and the way it is set up is far from being anything you might appreciate, but it was a present from my folks and I'll always have it. It's my go-to when the range gets longish (understand, thus far about 350 has been it's furthest poke, and that was some time back, so my "longish" is pretty short). It has, however, killed what it has shot at well enough and I'd like to adapt it to poking a little further until funds provide for my own "laser ph***ing beam".

Thanks!

how you know all these particularities about boxer when you haven't been on here 2 months yet?

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

157 members (1OntarioJim, achadwick, AceBall, 257_X_50, 21, 35, 15 invisible), 1,029 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,927
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.