Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Aint that the truth on auditory exclusion. I have had more than a few rounds go off without ear protection in the field and I know I lost hearing from that but a single accident with a flashbang was an instant 30% loss in one ear and it has never stopped ringing.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Well the good news it my ears have stopped ringing (and bleeding). The Linear Comp is back on the hunting rifle, I have a couple of the ear plugs recommended on the way, and when I hunt I will use them. Next 3 gun I do I will remount the comp, as it does work well for fast shooting.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Auditory Exclusion is waaaayyyy overrated. Damaging sound is damaging whether you pay attention to it or not.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by ConradCA
You should never shoot without hearing protecting. I did and regret it every day. Constant ringing in ears and difficulties hearing things. Get electronic hearing protection to hunt with.

+1000

Barring a defensive (hell, maybe offensive at the rate we're going) situation, I don't pull the trigger without earpro anymore.

RLTW
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
So what do you use for hunting?

NRA Life Member
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by supercrewd
So what do you use for hunting?

I've been using A2s on both ARs. I think one is getting a Levang, and the other the Surefire brake.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I meant earpro.

NRA Life Member
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I meant earpro.

You don't use earpro when hunting...

Too bad suppressors are completely illegal in MN. If anything, their use should be encouraged, especially when hunting.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I wore earpro for the last two shots I took at hogs. It was a hassle, but there ain't no way I was pulling the trigger without it.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I wore earpro for the last two shots I took at hogs. It was a hassle, but there ain't no way I was pulling the trigger without it.

That makes more sense; I'm also exclusively a deer hunter, so I was thinking more about that.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I received the Surefire Sonic defenders in the mail and tried them today. They are comfortable and easy to seat, never feels like they are falling out. I shot a bunch of rimfire and never felt like I could hear the shots. Not a torture test but a test. So a success. Thanks for the heads up.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dmsbandit
My question is WHY does the puny poodle shooter called the .223/5.56 need a muzzlebrake? Are we really that wimpy that we need to dampen the minimal recoil it generates?

I had my local 'smith cut the brake off my stag 6.8 for the reason the OP sighted. Damn loud and I want to use it for hunting.

When shooting rodents at long range you need to see where the bullets strike and a break can help that. Furthermore there is no reason not to wear hearing protection.

[Linked Image from ]
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I received the Surefire Sonic defenders in the mail and tried them today. They are comfortable and easy to seat, never feels like they are falling out. I shot a bunch of rimfire and never felt like I could hear the shots. Not a torture test but a test. So a success. Thanks for the heads up.

Have used EP3s and EP4s extensively and highly recommend them.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by JustOneGunner
I meant earpro.

You don't use earpro when hunting...

Like hell. Excluding an unplanned fight, I don't pull the trigger without earpro. Ever.

When hunting i wear these: http://www.amazon.com/3M-Tactical-Hearing-Protector-Compatible/dp/B000Q04MRG

They actually IMPROVE my hearing so it's a win/win.

RLTW
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bill Poole

a Brake or Comp should require a $200 tax stamp and suppressor/moderator/silencer should be FREE!

Poole

Brilliant

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My question is WHY does the puny poodle shooter called the .223/5.56 need a muzzlebrake? Are we really that wimpy that we need to dampen the minimal recoil it generates?

I had my local 'smith cut the brake off my stag 6.8 for the reason the OP sighted. Damn loud and I want to use it for hunting.

When shooting rodents at long range you need to see where the bullets strike and a break can help that. Furthermore there is no reason not to wear hearing protection.

I don't recall too many bolt action 223s having breaks on them? Don't people use them for shooting little targets with fur on them too?

I guess you never have to actually be able to hear when you're deer hunting. I use my hearing as much as my eyes and no hearing protection out there allows you to hear the sounds of the woods like your own ears can. More often than not, I hear the deer before they are spotted, so I see no need to have a break on any HUNTING GUN no matter what size or action type.

One shot in the woods without a brake won't hurt me, but one shot with a brake and no hearing protection certainly will.

I don't drink or Smoke. I spend my money on gunpowder and gasoline.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Remington sold some .223 bolt guns a while back with the triangular barrels, and yes they came with brakes on some models. Making it easier to see hits was the answer I got about it.

Magnum revolvers are another one you don't want to EVER shoot without ear protection.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
According to my ear doc, even one shot with a 22 degrades your hearing.

And yes brakes are sort of popular on bolt guns with poodle shooters cause half the fun is seeing how high they can fly. I went this year with a guy who had a heavy barreled Cooper 204 and a heavy barreled 223, he could see his hits with the 204 but not his 223. Next year he will either have a brake on the 223 or it will be rebarrelled to another 204.

I hate brakes and won't own one but there are others who put them to good use.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

I don't recall too many bolt action 223s having breaks on them? Don't people use them for shooting little targets with fur on them too?

I guess you never have to actually be able to hear when you're deer hunting. I use my hearing as much as my eyes and no hearing protection out there allows you to hear the sounds of the woods like your own ears can. More often than not, I hear the deer before they are spotted, so I see no need to have a break on any HUNTING GUN no matter what size or action type.

One shot in the woods without a brake won't hurt me, but one shot with a brake and no hearing protection certainly will.

Most people view their ARs as multipurpose guns. Besides that, a muzzle device protects your crown.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F

no hearing protection out there allows you to hear the sounds of the woods like your own ears can.

You are incorrect on both points. There is ear pro that is good enough that you truly forget you are wearing it. Also any shot, no matter the gun, even one shot damages your hearing.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (160user, 16penny, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,520
Posts18,472,585
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.