Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Originally Posted by rost495
I've shot more than a few rounds around folks with Rem 700s in competition, that have only worked on the factory triggers. Old triggers. The "unsafe" ones.

Some of these folks run 10-20K rounds a year in em.

No one ever talked about a failure in teh safety. Or the trigger.

I just feel that yes I won't argue that it didn't happen, IE the discharges. But it has happened with others. And the "failure" rate vs rounds fired has to be horribly insignifcant.

wont' keep me from preferring the old better feeling triggers. And doesn't really matter since I don't point the barrel where it should not be.

Its an axiom i used to teach in hunter ed. You don't need to know the 10 rules, as long as you observe muzzle control. Because a safety is a mechanical device, which can, and will eventually fail. Just like anything else in this world.

Yes I agree rules of proper gun handling are in place for a reason. That said a properly designed firearm that has not been altered by the consumer or outside gunsmith should not discharge when moving the trigger from safety to fire .

You dont know much about Murphys Law, do you....

The number one rule to gun safety is to never point a barrel at anyone, much less, yourself.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
It also helps if you remove your finger from the trigger when you release the saftey

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ldholton
It also helps if you remove your finger from the trigger when you release the saftey

BAM...........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kind of funny, all the custom smiths I've rubbed elbows with or spoken to install them happily/regularly without a bad word to say amongst them........

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ldholton
It happens ONLY when someone adjust the sear to lean cause they don't know the way to make a lite pull correctly or try to go lighter than the that particlar tigger will do so safely

B S !

The 721 that let go was my dad's, and he bought it new, never altering anything ever.

The 700 I had let go was bought new, and I had never had it out of the stock. It happened about a year after I got the gun. I had put a whopping box of shells through it by then.

Your statement is false, and you have no basis to know all the other incidents' circumstances. Diehards go with their eyes closed.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Both incidents I saw were experienced shooters too, whatever the hell that means. Just because someone has been doing something for a long time doesn't mean they have the first clue. Seen it too much, most especially with 'EXPERIENCED SHOOTERS'

Looks like it may be best for a guy to avoid those experienced shooters. The inexperienced shooters that have a clue probably handle their firearms more safely and knowledgeably - and maybe fewer cynical know-it-all types among the crude novices.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by AggieDog
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
I've shot more than a few rounds around folks with Rem 700s in competition, that have only worked on the factory triggers. Old triggers. The "unsafe" ones.

I just feel that yes I won't argue that it didn't happen, IE the discharges. But it has happened with others. And the "failure" rate vs rounds fired has to be horribly insignifcant.

wont' keep me from preferring the old better feeling triggers. And doesn't really matter since I don't point the barrel where it should not be.

Its an axiom i used to teach in hunter ed. You don't need to know the 10 rules, as long as you observe muzzle control. Because a safety is a mechanical device, which can, and will eventually fail. Just like anything else in this world.

Yes I agree rules of proper gun handling are in place for a reason. That said a properly designed firearm that has not been altered by the consumer or outside gunsmith should not discharge when moving the trigger from safety to fire .

You dont know much about Murphys Law, do you....

The number one rule to gun safety is to never point a barrel at anyone, much less, yourself.

Reading comprehension issues as well. Read what I said about proper gun handling. I think that means not pointing a gun at someone for starters DUH

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by IndyCA35

The reason competitive shooters don't have 700s fire when they remove the safety from safe is that they never put the safety on safe!! They keep the action open until just before they're going to fire, which is an NRA rule.

Yes of course. But haven't the rules changed lately.. haven't shot since 2004.

BUT the point was if the trigger is faulty design, and SOME point over billions of rounds fired, the thing should fail with its sear engagement and go bang as you close the bolt.

And FWIW most of the bolt gun guys used the safetys a few times during a match, going and coming, so its not like the safeties were not engaged/disengaged more than a normal hunter would over the course of that rifles life.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
Yep. Seen it occur twice with rifles, once with an aftermarket trigger that wasn't properly adjusted and once with a Remington 700 trigger that wasn't properly adjusted.

Might be a trend in there.

Totally agree.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Yep. Seen it occur twice with rifles, once with an aftermarket trigger that wasn't properly adjusted and once with a Remington 700 trigger that wasn't properly adjusted.

Might be a trend in there.

Since a good number of these ADs have been with triggers that have never been adjusted by the owners, I can only assume that they come from the factory improperly adjusted. That in itself is grounds for lawsuits.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
But no one is watching every idiot every time they handle a 700... The inability to recreate the event proves the far more likely cause was a finger on the trigger when they pushed the safety off.

Jack Belk could not recreate the AD, and admitted so in court, on any rifle claimed to have suffered same.

Bubbaing a trigger and having it do so is not difficult.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Not at all. It's well known that many thousands of safeties are moved to fire without an AD. It's a rare event but it does happen. The odds of Belk repeating it in even 1000 attempts are very small. Unless he had a gun that did it a lot, which is quite rare, I'd be very surprised if he could make it happen in a demo. My dad's rifle only did it once in 60 years that I know of. What are the odds of getting it to happen again in a demonstration? Almost zero.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wow! Sorry, but you have obviously not spent any time inside a 700 trigger!

Again, the leading cause of ADs with the 700 trigger is Bubba... I also believe the leading cause of one-off ADs involves a finger.

Mechanical things that function more than 99.9% of the time and then never show the symptom again are not the problem when a very simple probable cause is so readily "at hand" and there are at least two puns in this post.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The fact is they happen on un-bubba'd triggers as they came from the factory.

Dumbassery will cause all kind of problems, but the AD when a safety is moved from safe to fire is real, albeit extremely rare.

Some people won't ever believe it until they see it.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
When they happen, and I have seen them many times, it was Bubba that did it... They do NOT happen just once and never repeat themselves. That gets over into thinking something will just suddenly happen less than once in a thousand times and never happen again... Sorry, but that is a very hard sell when there is a ridiculously simple answer to the why of the failure.

Every "fire on closing" or "fire on safety release" situation I have seen was absolutely repeatable very frequently, and Bubba had been there.

I have looked at triggers that supposedly did one of the above that had never been touched. I have not seen them AD, ever. Jack Belk admitted he had NEVER seen one either, in court.

How can you know it isn't a finger when the odds are so hugely against your stance?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Had it happen on my custom built Remington 700 in 300 Weatherby mag a couple of times. Took it to several gunsmiths none could find a problem with the safety. Just before taking it to a gunsmith for some unrelated work I placed the wife's lip stick on the trigger assembly and reinstalled in the stock worked the safety then removed the barreled action from the stock. There was lipstick on the wood in the trigger area so removed wood from trigger area reinstalled the barrel action and haven't had a problem since.

The safety wasn't the problem, it was the idiot that did the inlet of the wood in the trigger area that caused the problem, namely me. mad

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Another one bites the dust.

If one believes all the bull one reads on this site there really aren't many rifles left out there that are worth spit. Haven't most all of them been crucified in print here at one time or another?

Opinions are like rifles, every hunter has one.

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys"........P.J. O'Rourke
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The simple answer is because I have seen it.

A new, less than one year old, 700 BDL in 243 Win.

The gun was purchased at a local store, new in box, and had rings and scope mounted. A patch was run through the bore and less than a box of shells were used to sight it in and shoot a couple groups. The rifle was put in the safe and left for a few months.

I pulled the gun out prior to the start of the season and as usual checked the chamber right away and worked the bolt. When I went to move the safety, the firing pin dropped. WTF? I cycled the bolt again and worked the safety. Twice in a row the gun released the pin. I hollered for pop thinking WTF is up with that. I tried to repeat it for him but it would not do it again.

I pulled the stock and everything was perfectly clean.

I have used that gun several times since but have fired only 20-30 rounds through it and it has not done it again, but I sure as [bleep] don't trust the safety.

It was my experience, I know what happened. No bubba trigger, no finger near the trigger, no dirt, oil or neglect.

I don't blame people for being skeptical. There has got to be a gazillion 700's out there and as dumb as alot of people I have met seem to be, there should be a stack of bodies.

But there it is.

Last edited by MadMooner; 10/27/13. Reason: Rifle was new at the time. Around '96 or '97.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
B
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Don't feel like the Lone Ranger. According to the TV special that aired a few years back regarding the Remington lawsuits the AD'S happen frequently to the SWAT/miltary snipers who use M40'S/700'S with the faulty trigger design too. It is rather funny that all the experts here can't examine the 700 trigger assembly and see the mechanical design flaw that causes the fire at release of safety to happen. Jack Belk has explained/shown the problem in great and vivid detail with blueprints/diagrams many times and it's quite evident to anyone with a smidgen of mechanical aptitude/comprehension what the problem is when you see it.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by CCCC
Both incidents I saw were experienced shooters too, whatever the hell that means. Just because someone has been doing something for a long time doesn't mean they have the first clue. Seen it too much, most especially with 'EXPERIENCED SHOOTERS'

Looks like it may be best for a guy to avoid those experienced shooters. The inexperienced shooters that have a clue probably handle their firearms more safely and knowledgeably - and maybe fewer cynical know-it-all types among the crude novices.

Here is one of those EXPERIENCED shooters, lots of those types out there and on the 'Fire

Originally Posted by Cossatotjoe
show up in the strangest places. Anyone ever had one of your rifles load itself after years of sitting in the back of the rack?

I never keep any loaded weapons around except for one shotgun and one handgun in the house. But today, while showing my nephew a few candidates for his new deer rifle, he racked the bolt a couple of times on a .270 and out flies a shell. Now, it wasn't in the chamber before he worked the bolt a few times and there was no real danger because safe gun handling was being practiced, but I was a little shaken, then mad at myself.

I honestly don't know the last time that rifle was used and I really don't know how it was loaded. Well...I guess I know I left it with a few in the magazine but I don't know why or how.

So, I know I'm preaching to the choir, but I'll reiterate the old axiom to treat every gun as if it is loaded because it just may be.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

562 members (160user, 1936M71, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 01Foreman400, 1234, 65 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,265 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,475
Posts18,489,932
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.