OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I'm looking for something that is;
1)Short enough to use in room clearing/Home defense
2)Takes hi cap mags
3)accurate out to 75 yards
4)light as possible
5)quiet enough to keep from blowing eardrums when used indoors in an emergency.

I've come up with 2 possibilities but I'm open to suggestions
1) I have a Glock lower and could install an Mech Tech upper

2)Mini 14 with folding stock

3)Sterling 9mm if I had that much money Don't you wish you could shoot as good as her?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qw5_QEBWg6g

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hunterdan
2)Takes hi cap mags
4)light as possible

3)Sterling 9mm if I had that much money Don't you wish you could shoot as good as her?
Guns are loud. I'd take that criteria off my list because it is unreasonable.

The Mini 14, in most of its incarnations and throughout most of its history, simply isn't acceptable for much of anything. I've owned a half-dozen at least, going back to 1982. The newest ones may be acceptable, but they really serve little purpose. With AR's possibly cheaper in some of their lowest-cost iterations, why not just go with that? IMO a DPMS Oracle or Sportical will fill the bill and possibly be $50 cheaper than a Mini. Plus you can get one at Walmart, around here anyway. I haven't seen a Mini in a year or more...at Walmart.

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks for the comment. I know all guns go boom...
If you don't realize there are differences in loud and blow out your eardrums loud then shoot a 7.5" ar 223 without protection.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Probably the only way to get a Sporticle shorter is to take off the barrel and replace it with a 14.5 barrel that has the flash hider welded on. This means a modification so you are probably not saving any money.

Ruger made a 16 barrel Mini a couple of years ago, you might luck into one. It appears the new MIni's have a better barrel but there are no spare critical parts like bolts and firing pins. Ruger continues to screw the pooch on that.

AR's are so much more versatile and the prices are coming down to pre Sandy Hook. I think Ruger continues to make the Mini's just to aggravate those folks who really think it could be so much more than an M-14 wanna be. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Why not put an extended barrel/upper on the Glock frame, and a quality set of sights for the ranges you list?

About any AR-caliber platform is going to be an ear-buster indoors, so #5 eliminates most rifles without suppression. The Noveske pig seems to help some indoors from reading the posts on here, but no experience with them.

What about a pistol caliber AR-upper?

I've owned 4-5 Minis over the years, some shot great, some didn't. Ended selling all as not used, or not scratching an itch any more. I'd agree on the parts, getting one serviced is usually a long process with limited options.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Subsonic 300 Blackout loads are what I have in the house gun, but an AR so chambered will probably be more expensive than the bottom end AR's.

I have seen Mini-14's that were accurate in slow fire, if they weren't run hot, but in sustained fire they'll suffer. They are a sporting gun, and AR's are mil-spec (well, most of them, anyway).

I too have thought about a Mech-Tech upper, or a Just Right carbine. There is also one outfit making an AR lower that accepts M2 Grease gun .45 ACP magazines, and others have .45 ACP uppers to match.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by hunterdan
2)Takes hi cap mags
4)light as possible

Forget Mini 14 in my opinion a waste of money I owned 3 of them.

Forget #5 unless you get a suppressor

Get a Colt 6920 or 6720, an aimpoint T1 or H1 and Surfire light load it with 55-65 grain softpoint ammo, best you can do unless you get a suppressor.

Me a 45 Auto is a few dB lower than a 9mm, so I like the 45ACP.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Centerfire rifles are going to mess your hearing up.

I would recommend a Glock 19/17/34 with an X300 or TLR-1, and a DG or contour switch. This allows you to operate both the weapon and light, completely, with one hand. That way, you can use your phone to call the cops, move your loved ones, etc.

Personally, I think an AR with light, Aimpoint, Redi mag, and two 40 round Pmags is the ultimate in HD. 10.5" if you can SBR it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
The Mini conversation is really intersting to me
I have always owned one and they just sat. I would trade one off and than just seemed like I would pick up another and so on and so on.
This spring my friend bought a Mini 30 and I thought he was nuts, well than started thinking about cheap ammo and a few other benefits and thought well maybe all, of a sudden SHAZAM one was there that I could buy right with a pile of ammo mags etc
Bought it put a Redfield Revenge 2x 7 (its OK FFII better)
I have had more fun with that darn thing I keep it with me and whenever I can I run 50 rounds through it. Also I take kids out and 60 rounds 20 bucks I cant do that with much else.

I like it so much yeaterday I bought a Mini 14 topped with a
VX II 3x 9 that was really also a good deal

super accurate probably not
Fun and cheap to shoot Yep
Seem to be durable Yep
small easy to have in the trunk yep

An AR probably not
it is what it is

sometimes you just want to throw lead

There was a thread a while ago SHF gun and Ringworm said SKS it stuck me and I thought about maybe he is on to something this is similar but smaller and lighter maybe? What this winter taught me Cheap plentful ammo is a big plus

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
OP, for the needs you describe the Mini 14 will work fine.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by JustOneGunner

I would recommend a Glock 19/17/34 with an X300 or TLR-1, and a DG or contour switch. This allows you to operate both the weapon and light, completely, with one hand. That way, you can use your phone to call the cops, move your loved ones, etc.

Personally, I think an AR with light, Aimpoint, Redi mag, and two 40 round Pmags is the ultimate in HD. 10.5" if you can SBR it.

I would not want to fire a 223 indoors for sure. A Good full sized 45 ACP with a light on it and your better off. I am not fond of the 9mm or 357 magnum indoors either. Go to an indoor gun range and you can convince yourself pretty quick.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Thanks for all the suggestions. The 45 has my attention because of the sub-sonic loads, large bullet and I already have a 1911 in 45. The fewer calibers I have the better.
The sterling link in my OP is really one that got my attention but it's pricey. I thought the Mech Tech upper would fit the bill but at 7lbs for an upper...I don't know?
Anyone know of another model in a 45 cal with similar plane jane "pipe style" look and reasonable costs?

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
If you could do without high capacity mags, a pistol caliber lever might be an option.

I have 2 minis and I happen to like them.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Still looking at 45 cal carbines but does anyone have exp. with the pps43C? Looks like a pretty reliable, short, high cap gun.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You could always go AR platform in 9mm or 45

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Lever action Marlin 1984C shooting 38 special ammo. Relatively quiet indoors and will drop a bad guy.

Hi cap magazine? You can top of the magazine with the rifle still shouldered.

My Mini14 is louder than my AR15.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
not an olympic arms fan but they make a 45 ACP upper, not sure I would trust my life with it. A company called Double diamond makes a lower to take glock pistol mags and they make custom uppers in pistol calibers. Not sure which calibers but would ask.

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
This is pretty much what your looking at...

I got to play with one last week in .40 and it was pretty nice, very straightforward and pistol caliber carbines are going to be much easier on the ears than any 5.56 load without a can.

http://www.justrightcarbines.com/JR_Carbine_Products.html

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by jimmyp
Originally Posted by JustOneGunner

I would not want to fire a 223 indoors for sure. A Good full sized 45 ACP with a light on it and your better off. I am not fond of the 9mm or 357 magnum indoors either. Go to an indoor gun range and you can convince yourself pretty quick.

Would never want a revolver for anything defensive. As for pistols, I'd take 9mm over .45 every time, for every application, except a dedicated suppressor gun. As for the report;

http://www.m1911.org/loudness.htm

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
no doubt 9mm is fine, be sure you have hearing protection on with any of them, the 45 ACP is a few dB lower and won't destroy your hearing quite as fast. I just shoot ball ammo out of my .45ACP I guess I should be worried about that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1234, 007FJ, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 2,820 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,611
Posts18,473,867
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.