Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yep, Merino wool base layer and socks, old Woolrich shirts from the 60's & 70's and a Filson Vest. Just doesn't feel like hunting without some wool.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by rudyc; 11/10/13.

It's a good day for something.
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
cabelas wooltimate

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Bought this in the 1950's. I can't seem to wear it out.

[Linked Image]

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by 22250rem
About 15 years ago I got some military surplus gray wool pants (German? Swedish? I can't recall) from Sportsman's Guide. They're still going strong. Still have a heavy plaid Melton "Wintermaster" shirt that I'm pretty sure is all wool but doesn't say so on the tag. Just says "dry clean only"... Would that be wool? Bought it in 1973! Have worn it just about every hunting season since. Even shot my first (and only) mule deer wearing it in 2006 in Wyoming and the biggest whitetail of my life wearing it in 1989. Around here, deer season, (gun) starts next Saturday. You know what shirt I'll have on!.. It's become a tradition.

Yes, Melton is wool

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yup, love my wool stuff. It doesn't get cold enough for it much down here, but when it I really enjoy breaking it out.

I have newer stuff, smart wool gloves, beanie and socks, columbia gatlain range wool pants and a wool coat made by browning.

I can thank the campfire for turning me onto wool.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I wear Johnson wool heavy pants, and switch between a filson double mac cruiser and a Johnson wool coat. Also wear a stormy kromer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter

[Linked Image]

That's the twin to my favorite coat. Just looking at it makes me wanta' go hunting. smile

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Got to wear some wool! Krommers for sure! KOM Woorich and now smart wool socks rock!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yep, LL Bean wool shirt or zip jacket when its a little warmer and LL Bean wool parka when it dips below 30.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by SmokeEater2
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter

[Linked Image]

That's the twin to my favorite coat. Just looking at it makes me wanta' go hunting. smile

Me too.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I guess to me it just isnt deer season without old, faded wool and a wood stocked, pitted from handling, stock scratched from honest use rifle

And I hope those days never stop

And i am very thankful for writers like MuleDeer who have the talent to bring those memories, and smells to life in their words.

Last edited by gitem_12; 11/10/13.

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
I have hunted in the mountains of the western US and Canada. I have always wore wool for its ability to keep you warm in all types of weather. There are multiple brands that are very good and are great in the outdoors. I think the most important thing about wool is it ability to keep you warm when wet. I think it is still the quietest fabric out there for stalking game.

"What we've got here is...failure to communicate."
Stother Martin;("Captian") Movie: "Cool Hand Luke" cira 1967.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been wearing wool for over 50 years, don't think I'll stop any time soon:>)
I often find my mackinaw jacket too warm so spend the day in my shirt only, as long as the temps are freezing or slightly below.
Cat
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S

There is nothing like wool. This Woolrich shirt has been on hundreds of kills over dozens of years and has never needed mending. It is worn into a perma-wrinkle condition that I just can't put into a washing machine. I don't know what I'll do if it ever wears out...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee202/bridgershooters/Antelope/114_1406-1.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee202/bridgershooters/Deer/scan0021.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i235.photobucket.com/albums/ee202/bridgershooters/Elk/122_3195.jpg[/img]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Shrapnel. Given your reputation i sorta just figured you hunt naked

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S

I only keep the shirt around for pictures...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My Woolrich wool bibs and my old woolrich wool pull-over still my favorite cold weather team. Those to articles of clothing are the best. Large pockets, quiet and they breath enough when I have to do a little hike'n and keep me warm when I'm sit'n.

I have a woolrich chamos shirt I wear in the early, more mild October seasons. It has earned a couple nick-names from my wife and kids. One is the "lucky" shirt, The other is "The shirt of death". Its the one I have on in the avitar pic...

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The Woolrich was once referred to as a "Pennsylvania tuxedo". The newer edition isn't as heavy as the original and it is rare to see them being used in the Deer woods these days.

Became heavy when a serious snow drifted down on them for any length of time and took awhile to dry out. Kinda lost their charm when orange became mandatory.

Today I have both the double Makinaw Filson and the regular Makinaw. The double is serious wool, but buy a couple sizes larger than need for they will shrink a little after they get wet a couple times. Get a Deer on the end of a rope and being warm will not be an issue.

The Woolrich variety brings back a flood of memories of those gone on. Would like to have another of the thicker old style.

Filson double being used to not only keep warm, but improve pic quality.

[Linked Image]

Filson also make a wool liner insert that works well by itself when it is not all that cold, but it only has two open pockets and if one moves a lot things will escape. It also works great inside coats other than Filson.

Addition: The Double Makinaw is thick thru the chest and combined with clothes underneath is the reason my rifle LOP is and seems short to others when they pickup my rifles. A couple of them still need cut down.

Last edited by battue; 11/11/13.

laissez les bons temps rouler
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My 'uniform' consists of Pendleton wool shirts, woolen Malone trousers, a British Army Commando sweater, and an old Woolrich coat (solid red, not the red/black check). Hi tech underwear and wool socks.

Like Shrapnel and his Woolrich shirt, one particular Pendleton shirt is my go-to 'lucky' shirt that I can't imagine being without. Despite a few moth holes and wearing thin in places, it conjures up 20 years worth of hunting memories whenever I put it on.

I have some camo cold weather outerwear, but it only gets worn when I head to the duck blinds and goose pits over on my buddy's Eastern Shore farm.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Today was merino wool against my skin, Pendleton wool shirt, Beaglewear wool pants, Mountain Hardware fleece and a Woolrich light wool jacket. Was pretty chilled with the lightweight jacket and should have put on my wool sweater right off the bat, but didn't think I would need it. Wool socks and Schnees to go with that getup, and a cheapo orange cap that is getting thrown in the garbage can tonight.

This isn't 'Nam Donny, there are RULES...
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (257 roberts, 260Remguy, 22kHornet, 1Longbow, 2500HD, 257Bob, 52 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,595
Posts18,511,248
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.