Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
la4wd54 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Just finished cooking up a big pot of venison chili and cornbread here at work for the guys. How about ya'll, you like beans in your chili or not?

"He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one".....Luke 22:36
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh Dear Lord, now you've gone and done it! Started the fight of all fights- and with all these durned Texans around, too! [Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]- Sheister

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dear la4wd54
<br>
<br>Beans in your chili is an abomnation in the eyes of mankind, NEVER! It ceases to be chili when beans are added, period. And I am not from Texas, I just know good chili when I meet it, it does need Hatch chilies to make it proper though IMHO.
<br>
<br>This is one thats been in my family for as long as I can remember mostly made with
<br>Deer but on lucky occaisions Elk:
<br>2 to 3 lbs. ground elk or deer meat
<br>2 large sweet (Vidalia if ya got em) onions, chopped fine
<br>2 large bell peppers (red or green) chopped
<br>3 or 4 Hatch chilies (green is best) chopped
<br>2 large cans tomatoes, chopped or crushed (your choice) include the juice
<br>4 Tbsp. chili powder, may adjust to taste
<br>1 clove crushed garlic
<br>1/2 tsp salt
<br>Brown the meat and onions in canola or light olive oil in a DEEP cast iron skillet or
<br>dutch oven. Add tomatoes and spices. Simmer 3 to 4 hours, stirring occasionally
<br>and tasting for adjustment of spices.
<br>
<br>Please note: There is NO mention of beans!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

la4wd54 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T Lee,
<br> Just for the record, I have had some very fine chilis both with and without beans.(personal taste) Your recipe looks like it would be as good as some of the better ones I've tried. Curious about Hatch chilis tho'. I'm located in extreme SW La. and haven't heard about that particular kind. Where would a fella find some of them at?

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This New Mexican says that you must have beans. A good chili requires a proper propellant...

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They are from New Mexico and I have bought them even here in Florida at Publix.
<br>
<br>

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You may be a New Mexican but the best chili I ate while living in Taos was sans beans of any kind. Especially the Elk chili a friends sister, a Taos Pueblo native made.

Last edited by T LEE; 08/16/02.

Old cat turd!

la4wd54 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T LEE,
<br>Thank you sir, we do not have Publix stores here but I will be on the lookout for them at our local stores.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No problem, of course the bottled ones are not near as good as the fresh roastsed ones, but a darn site better than none.

Old cat turd!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
My preference is without beans served over noodles or rice. It's gotta be spicy hot to be good. Beans are used when you are too old to shoot a deer or other suitable source of animal protein and it's probably further contaminated with store bought hamburger by those same old guys.
<br>
<br>Now, I suspect that BCR has been lurking in the shadows waiting to jump all over us and tell us how it's supposed to be made according to the revised statutes of the great state. Where you hiding Boggy???

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I too have been waiting for Boggy to leap out from behind the computer and chastise all for not getting the recipe right!

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well my chili recipe has spread far and wide via this forum so far no complaints.
<br>As to beans in the chili. As long as you don't cook the beans in with the chili that is fine. If you want to add beans that have been cooked separate when you go to eat your chile I don't have a problem with it I just don't care for that addition. I like fritos crumbled in or crackers sometimes or even green olives sometimes. Some like chopped egg. Some like cheese. No problem, put what you think will taste good to you in your chili when you dish it up. Just don't cook any thing but meat, spices, onion and garlic when you make your chili or you will just have a spicy vegetabl soup.
<br>
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Everybody knows chili don't have beans in it. Chili has meat, tomato sauce, chili peppers, salt, and garlic. You start adding other stuff and you are making STEW. Stew starts out just like chili but you add water, beans, onions, potatoes, hominy, celery, carrots, and anything else you have laying around.
<br>
<br>Chili meat is beef or venison. Stew meat can be anything you got. Chicken, squriel, rabbit, beef, venison, aramadillo, or any other meat too tough to eat without being boiled to death first. Stew is also red. It gets it's color from the tomatoes and chili powder. If you don't put chili powder in it you are not making stew. You are making SOUP. To make soup start out making stew but forget to put in any tomatoes and chili powder.
<br>
<br>I don't know how you yankees got so mixed up you can't tell the difference between chili, stew, soup, and spagitti sauce. Also, fish don't have no busniess gettin any where near soup. Them boiled fish heads is for the cats. [Linked Image]

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Ok youse guys we got our own form of traditional chilie her on the puget sound and there arn't no beans in this one. Ya Ole u go tel um. first youse take down a couple uf dem slabs a salted cod off a da misses cloths line den yas puts dem in da vasser to soffen up a bit. Ya u needs to dump dat vasser and den fill er up mit new fresh vasser, diss time u needs to toss in a hand full of der lye. Nows soak dem slabs o fish over nite , It's mornin now und da coffee is boiled so u needs to go git da fish outa da vasser. U needs dat der cheese cloth to scoop up da fish as it be turned to slime. Drain out da vasser and boil in fresh vasser, cook up some young tatoes and peas by boiling in fresh vasser. Make a white sause out da butter and milk put da fish in and pore over da spuds an peas. YA Ole dat is PugetSound Chili.
<br>
<br>Bullvinkle

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dad Gum Winkey, don't do that no more, it took me twenty-four hours to quit barfing just thinking about your Puget Sound chili. [Linked Image][Linked Image]
<br>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Boggy,
<br>
<br> At least it didn't have any beans in it! [Linked Image]- Sheister

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Bullvinkle,
<br>Lutefisk is the nastiest, foulest compound ever fabricated with intent to cross human lips.
<br>
<br>I believe it was a viking practical joke that went sideways somewhere along the line.
<br>
<br>I'm as norsk in heritage as can be, however...imho
<br>
<br>REAL MEN DON'T EAT LUTEFISK!!
<br>
<br>Lefse, ahhh now that's another story....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Boollvnkl, yuoo ere-a oone-a seeck indeefidooel, nu duoobt ebuoot it lefft in my meend. Bork bork bork!
<br>
<br> ROTFLMAO!

Last edited by T LEE; 08/18/02.

Old cat turd!

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
ok bullwinkl
<br>Took me the better half of the day to read your chili recipe. Why didn't you say you were making cat food?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Oh come on Carbonman just because you may have had a bad experience with Lutefisk don't mean it's all bad...does it? To be a real man here on the bay you have to at least try and eat a little with out barfing.
<br>Lefse is to a Norsky what french fries are to the rest of the known world[Linked Image] So if any of you intrepid souls wanna come on up we'll stir ya up a batch of Puget Sound Chilie with out beans, never had em never will. Just good eats....yeah right.
<br>Say guys what say we get MuleSkinner to try some Lutefisk it will seperate the men from...their stomach linings.
<br>
<br>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

528 members (1badf350, 204guy, 12344mag, 163bc, 1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 38 invisible), 2,139 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,224
Posts18,504,294
Members73,994
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.