Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by ingwe
No, the Mouser REALLY kicks hard!

Dayum!

I guess I got a pre Dakota Dakota for sale then. Double digit #, ANIB w/ about 300 cases and 1500 bullets for sale. Leupy aim helper.

PM me if you think you can afford it.

Thanks,

Dan

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Thats all supposition on your part�..
Not only that,but,it's a wild a** guess. whistle

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
I might could afford it, but I can't take that brutal recoil! cry

The .223AI is my upper limit now�.. grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the field report, was wondering how they'd pan out on critters. Seems like they do a pretty good job. I'm surprised by the amount of weight retention, seems like a pretty tough bullet.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
How do these compare to the 60 grain Partitions?

Did I read correctly that these stabilize bullets in 1:12 barrels? The appear to be short enough to do so in the pics.

Last edited by LouisB; 11/17/13.

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
IC B2

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Ive shot them in a couple 1 in 12s with no problem� They should retain more weight, and definitely shoot better than the 60 NPT

As witness this 200 yd group�

[Linked Image]

Last edited by ingwe; 11/17/13.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
and definitely shoot better than the 60 NPT

That shouldn't be too difficult. I've never had any luck getting the 60gr Partition to shoot in any rifle I've ever tried them in, which is several.

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Ive posted this before but when the 60 NPTs came out JB had a Juenke Comparator, and he tested a box for concentricity, and sorted them into three piles, good, better, and best. I ran them through my most accurate .223 with a known load and that exactly how they shot. .75 for the best, 1.25 for the 'good'�

Wild guess from a layperson but it might be harder to overcome concentricity issues with two cores...

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Big Rigby, I call it Special...ain't for sale. Phffft-

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Theres a thread around here somewhere about that�

But I'll give you the condensed version�..223 Awesome Ingwe.

Classic

IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by shortactionsmoker
I think I'll bust a doe next weekend. I'm curious too.

let us know how it goes. I'm relatively new to the .223, but the lack of recoil and report make it REALLY easy to do precise work with

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Secondly, just for you guys, I went to my office, picked up my camera, and took this pic of the 64 gr Nosler Bullet in question.

[Linked Image]

That looks perfect. for all i know, the one I shot looked like that. I wasn't expecting to see rabbit parts flying through the air and landing 30 yds away, though

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Boxer
Tried my first .224" 75 A-Max this afternoon.

They might do.(grin)

[Linked Image]

excellent!

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by bearstalker
The bullet retained 60 of 64 grains...hardly "grenaded" in my opinion. One guy, two bullets and one dead deer. I'd not give up so easily.

The first pic is a groundhog killed with the 64 BSB. The second pic is the exit hole. Far from an exploding bullet IMO.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I expect the damage upon entrance was due to frontal diameter. The bullet is fairly blunt.

Here is a pic of the bullet sectioned. I did this as soon as I grabbed some to see what they looked like inside. I doubt they'll blow up easily.

[Linked Image]

Nice. What type of groups you getting with those in your Kimber? A new Kimber Montana 223 is going to be my xmas present to myself. grin

That rifle is now the rifle below. It shot 1" or better with the bullet/loads I tried. Stick made more improvements and I think it's more better now. He also opened the action to accept some longer bullets. Pretty neat work actually...

[Linked Image]

I'd talk to him about what he did and how it does. I'd say he's flung a couple thousand bullets down the tube by now -- probably more.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Marty, sheer speculation here but I think the popping of diaphragms is due to speed more than bullet size�just a wild jazzed guess from here...

I saw the very flat front on the expanded Nosler. Put that together with speed and you get what is called the "splat effect" in scientific circles. For those of you in Rio Linda, it's like a belly flop landing.

Trust me, I'm a doctor. grin

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Stick made more improvements and I think it's more better now.

its definitely prettier wink

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
That rifle in particular,has sold alotta rifles in particular and that in just these last coupla weeks. Same old adage,in that good stuff sells itself.

Very easy to load the crummy up with assorted platforms in like chambering(s) and let folks shake things out for themselves,in Real World conditions(wind) and to the extent of their desires,as distance goes. Though the 75A-Max is new to me,as is the 223 chambering,F&S reports that boolit/cartridge melding to stay supersonic to 1100yds+ from Milford Level air density/temps,from a modest 22" length SAAMI spout. 1000yds is sub 31MOA from a 225 zero and the recoil though rather sharp,remains manageable.(grin) It defeats the 1:1 Wind Ratio(distance at which 1MPH of wind influences a 1MOA correction) to 1000yds+,so it seems that nice things would be mechanically arranged by inherent default. 2000fps of impact,is arranged to the These things sound plausible to me.(grin) Fairly skookum arrangement,for less than 25grs of powder,per victim.

In fairness however,the 64gr Nosler from a like zero at 3150fps,eats 56.75MOA to the 1000yd line and hits the 1:1 Wind Ratio at the 575yd line. But on the bright side,it dips subsonic inside the 650yd line. All of which is plum [bleep] Sportin'.(grin) The 50gr X has an identical BC and a 14gr velocity headstart,which would seem to grant advantages,from the muzzle onwards.(grin)

So while I'd be the last to rain on a Turd Polisher's Ping Pong Ball BC Party,it do seem that boolits matter farrrrrr more than headstamps. Fact is...when talking Twist Chow,that adding weight is purposely pissing up ropes. That due the fact,that Chowtitude is a function of boolit length,not weight and when approaching max length quotients for a given twist rate,I'm ALWAYS gonna drop weight(to bank the velocity increase) and get my length(BC),via vastly superior projectile design...regarding both form and function. It's called "having your cake and eating it too" (F&S Sept. '91).

Plagiarized pic,from F&S and this morning's issue. If only for conversation,though the crux will fly over heads,which is of course more than half the [bleep] fun.(grin).

[Linked Image]

F&S made a great point,way back in The Day,when they cited that in order to reap these vastly superior benefits,one needn't trade anything away. The above Sleeping Beauty,caught the Sleeping Pill inside 25yds,which is neither here nor there and the very premise,in that there are no concessions at ANY distance or atmospheric condition. Thinkin' that's a rather nice constant,to have in the bank. The upside being,there ain't no downside,in either Theory or Application. Funny how facts is routinely comfortin'.(grin)

Fun to take a Red Ryder and pit it against Heavy Mettle and after doing so,everyone always greedily grabs for a 'Ryder.(grin) Seen it 1000's of times.

[Linked Image]

One of these days I'll have 7",8",9",10",12" and 14" twist 223's,to compare objectively and to finally see if there is sumptin' to all boolits,mebbe might not bein' equal,in their relative abilities.

[Linked Image]

Until then,I'll slum along makin' due,with F&S in my hip pocket and a 'Ryder on my shoulder.(grin) Fact is,a 'Ryder may even shine brighter,when granted the mechanical opportunity to nestle a kiss in it's belly. F&S did a nice piece on that,some time ago too.

Pics plagiarized,from that Article.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/IMG_1042.jpg[/img]

Kiss,find pressure and rock on. Hint.

Note that the 50V-Max has a better BC than the 64gr Nosler Goat [bleep] too. Just sayin'...and just mebbe,someone will be dumb enough to think it won't punch tags.(grin)

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/Rifle%20Stuff/2R8G8317.jpg[/img]

Always easy to ascertain who shoots and who don't,thus my affinity for F&S's in depth reporting and their keen eye in staying abreast of the times...if only in extrapolation.

Hell,there's some Magazines,who still "think" twist rates and boolit selection don't much matter!?!

Laffin'!

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
When you get tooled up with all the stuff you want, you will come to love those 12 and 14 twists�they're skookum.

Im gonna try one of those 8 twists when it gets back from the smith, regardless of all the bad things I've heard about them.

ingwe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by mathman
Marty, sheer speculation here but I think the popping of diaphragms is due to speed more than bullet size�just a wild jazzed guess from here...

I saw the very flat front on the expanded Nosler. Put that together with speed and you get what is called the "splat effect" in scientific circles. For those of you in Rio Linda, it's like a belly flop landing.

Thanks math man. That makes sense to me. At least more sense than drinking whiskey without ice. grin

I think they call that flat front a 'meplat'�.a derivative from the latin 'splat' I'll bet�.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by mathman

I once saw with my own eyes a doe hit in the heart with a 308 at just over 300yds that had her eyes popped out on one end and her intestines coming out her anus on the other. I thought that was odd.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1eyedmule, 1minute, 219 Wasp, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 160user, 73 invisible), 2,293 guests, and 1,220 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,410
Posts18,507,052
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.