Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I am considering a new scope. I want near top quality class. I can't afford 2-3k for Zeiss or S&B so want something under 1k.

I have read some reviews about the Super Slams and they sound impressive. I have always been a Leupold man, but just your plain jane VX-II from the 80's.

How does the Super Slam or Grand Slam compare to the VX-3? What other scopes would you recommend I take a look at?

The rifle will in all liklihood be a .243, 7mm-08 or 260. I have never owned a variable over 9 power so this one will be a 4-12 or 4-16 just becuase I would like to have that capability.

What would you look at beside the Weavers?

Dan

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You can get a Zeiss HD5 and a Swarovski Z3 for under $1K at Cameraland.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'd take Conquest over any Weaver or VX3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I wouldn't,IMO to step up from a vx3 i'd be looking @ a Swarovski or s&b

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter

Which models in a 4X-12X or 4X-16X for under $1000? In that range the Conquest is hard to beat.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For roughly $20-30 more i'll take this each and every time:http://www.cameralandny.com/optics2/leupold.pl?page=leupold_vx-3_4-14x40

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Ghostman
I'd take Conquest over any Weaver or VX3

Yep!

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Which models in a 4X-12X or 4X-16X for under $1000? In that range the Conquest is hard to beat.

The conquest WAS a great scope but no longer made, the lower end Swarovski has return to zero issues, never seen a S&B in this price range.....Just go with a VX3 the 4.5x14 is the best scope in the price range

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For roughly $20-30 more i'll take this each and every time:http://www.cameralandny.com/optics2/leupold.pl?page=leupold_vx-3_4-14x40

Actually i'm wrong on the price ,the leupold is about $100 cheaper than the zeiss. I looked at a demo price on the zeiss. Also I didn't mean you can get a zawro or s&b for the price of a conquest, sorry if that got confusing. I was referring to a leupold .

Last edited by 1tnhunter; 11/18/13.
IC B3

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I have owned a number of Weaver Super Slams and Grand Slams.....the SS have superb glass and light gathering.....they will hang with the best... They are just a bit heavy. The old Grandslam was a sleeper.... Very good glass, just a bit shy on eye relief. Very good scopes. Leupold makes a fine product, but I would not say they are optically as good as some...just my opinion. The newest from Leupold are better , but they offer superb service. Weaver changed hands 2-3 times in the last 10-15 years....that does not help dealer support etc., but the product was always pretty decent. I think both companies are making fine products. I think Weaver just revamped the Grandslam.....should be pretty nice. Goodshot

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
For a $1000, you could get a Leupie VX-6 series 2-12x42. That would be the way to go. If necessary, buy it used.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
What is the difference between the VX-6 and the VX-3?

M
MZ5 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a Weaver Tactical 3-15x50 and a Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40 Long Range. Both were produced within the past 18 months, but the Leupy is roughly a year newer. For the purpose of this comparison, the Tactical may be thought of as Super Slam glass in a stronger/thicker/heavier tube with much more adjustment range.

The Leupold has ~15 minutes (also ~15%) more adjustment range than the Tactical. The Super Slam doesn't have anywhere near as much adjustment (only 40 - 50% of what the Tactical has, IIRC)

The Weaver has noticeably more 'pop' to the image than the Leupy; it appears distinctly brighter. It also has more CA, but most who've looked through it have to be looking for it in order for it to be noticeable/distracting.

In super-low light (well past legal shooting light; more like astronomical twilight or quarter-moon light), the Weaver is significantly brighter/better and offers significantly better detail resolution on distant objects such as trees, cliffs, etc. It is better regardless whether you match magnification, exit pupil, or anything else. I expect the larger objective is responsible for at least some portion of this. I do not know whether optical quality is or is not also a significant factor.

The Weaver is dead reliable in its adjustments and return to zero. I have not tested the Leupold as thoroughly, but it has been equal in performance thus far.

The Tactical has more-consistent eye relief at a constant 4", but when the scopes are set up properly this is a non-issue. The Leupy has more eye relief for much of its magnification range. I find both scopes easy to get behind, but I find the Leupy easier. The difference is most noticeable at max mag.

I have the Weaver on my competition gun because it's FFP and has a useful reticle for that purpose. I have the Leupy on my '#1' hunting rifle. Both are subjected to rough service in different ways.

Both have lifetime warranties, but IF I ever have to use the warranty on either one, I like the way Leupold works much better. I also appreciate being able to talk to Leupy. I have not been able to raise Weaver on the phone since ATK 'consolidated' a bunch of support people. That was a LARGE mistake by ATK, in terms of my desire to deal with them to an increasing degree in the future.

I would buy either scope again, provided I got the right price. I've looked at & through some super-nice and super-expensive scopes on the competition guns in the long-range precision rifle club I shoot with. I'm satisfied with these two scopes vs. the prices I paid. I paid more for the Weaver, and I think I got a bit more in return. They're definitely different scopes, though. More-expensive scopes do not offer _me_ enough more to justify the required expenditure. I offer this last bit merely for context in evaluating my comments.

For a hunting rifle, I'd buy another Leupy. For a competition rifle, I'd need a different Leupy, and given their competition line's prices I'd likely buy another Weaver Tactical.

If I were to choose between this Leupy and the Super Slam version of the Weaver, that would be tough. They're both excellent scopes, but they're also distinctly different. Hopefully I've highlighted some areas that'll help you choose, based on what _you_ are looking for.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I have some Weavers, I have some Leupolds...BOTH great scopes IMO. The Super Slam is every bit the scope the vx-3 is. From what I've noticed the Super Slam seems sharper and the VX-3 a touch brighter. Both VERY close as far as image goes. The VX-3 is also much lighter if that matters to you, however the Super Slam has a 5x erector and side focus, two very different designs, which is better? Depends on what you want really hard to go wrong with either...Natchez has the best price on the Super Slam by a big margin. I'd also take a long hard look at the Meopta Meopro...Doug has pretty good prices on them and they are some pretty nice scopes in that same price range...

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Now I see that ATK bought out Bushnell....so now we have Bushnell and Weaver under the same parent co. That will be interesting......they also bought Savage Arms......that's a bunch of brands to manage. Should be interesting to say the least. Sure seems like the sign of the times, I'm not sure it's a good thing only time will tell. Goodshot

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Slidellkid
What is the difference between the VX-6 and the VX-3?

3 grin

Last edited by iambrb; 11/19/13.

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
That was helpful....! I'm sure we all learned from that post!

Last edited by goodshot; 11/19/13.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
OK so iambrb is a smarta$$. I'll take a smarta$$ any day over a dumba$$.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hard to beat a VX3 3.5-10x40 with an M1 on it. New for around $550 from custom shop. I looked at the VX6 and was just not impressed really for the extra money.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

447 members (17CalFan, 10Glocks, 163bc, 12344mag, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 32 invisible), 2,319 guests, and 1,060 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,453
Posts18,529,031
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.