Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 340mag
Just curious if any of you gentlemen have ever considered a good kukri to replace a hatchet.

not only 'no', but HELL NO......

if you ever dress out out elk you know that theres times where that a heavy blade or a hatchet can be useful and can be used to make the job easier

'if you ever dress out elk', includes breaking them down to full bone-in quarters in the field for horse packing, it won't take a feller long to figger out just how worthless a kukri, or any other 'heavy blade' really is......

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Ive found this Kukri far more useful than a hatchet, for various reasons

What are the 'various reasons'?

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
For the life of me, I cannot think of one good reason a fellow would prefer to have a Kukri over a good Hatchet while in the wilderness or any other place now that I think about it.

randy

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
When I lived in Alaska we carried a chain saw with a 12 inch bar on it. The only lube we used was vegetable oil. I can't begin to remember how many moose we quartered out with that chain saw. Decided to down size to a hatchet since moving to the lower 48:)

Did carry a Kukri for a couple of years and never really found a use for it. I would use a folding saw a lot when trying to travel through the alders. Used to carry a big knife in the back pack as well but it usually stayed in the sheath. Most popular camp tool was a small Gerber axe, that's my reason for finally wanting a good small hatchet.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Just curious if any of you gentlemen have ever considered a good kukri to replace a hatchet.

not only 'no', but HELL NO......

if you ever dress out out elk you know that theres times where that a heavy blade or a hatchet can be useful and can be used to make the job easier

'if you ever dress out elk', includes breaking them down to full bone-in quarters in the field for horse packing, it won't take a feller long to figger out just how worthless a kukri, or any other 'heavy blade' really is......

I've broken down numerous elk, and several bison with a 3 inch blade, can't even guess how many deer I've boned out in the field. Never saw a need for any heavier tool, a little longer blade would have helped on the big critters. Except if one wants to bring out the ribs, there a reciprocating saw works wonders.

I wouldn't be happy with anyone who took an axe to one of my animals.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Never have lived in Elk or Moose country. Wish I did, if I did then something more substantial such as a Gransfors Bruks hetchet would have to be on the list weight or no weight.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boise
I've broken down numerous elk, and several bison with a 3 inch blade, can't even guess how many deer I've boned out in the field. Never saw a need for any heavier tool, a little longer blade would have helped on the big critters.

I almost think that very thing for myself.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Here in Texas I have no need for a hatchet for butcher work. However I keep one in the truck. I use it for building ground blinds, fixing fence, firewood, driving stakes, beating on farm equipment LOL - I find it to be a handy tool to have around.

Randy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Agreed.
But I can still see me using a GB Wildlife Hatchet and a GB Small Forest Axe for lots of other stuff.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
There are tons of uses for a hatchet while hunting or camping. Doubt I would use one when field dressing a deer but they are one of the handiest tools to have. A reasonable size knife and a small hatchet are the perfect survival tools.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Let us know what ya think when you get it in. Somehow I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I have a Lee Reeves hatchet that I have never used and I know Rick has a small double bit. The double bit has a heavier side for rough work and the other slimmer you could skin a deer out with.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Gerber/Fiskars hatchets, in whatever size suits your needs, are the equivalent of stainless/synthetic rifles. You really can't go wrong with them for light weight practical tools.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those Fiskars are indeed a good value and product.
I just can't do the plastic thing.

I'd love to find an old Plumb Boy Scout hatchet someday but in the mean time I'll stick with my old Plumb Cruiser and stacked leather Estwing for camp chores, and a good fixed blade belt knife in the field.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by freedomguy
Originally Posted by RBuck
Why not consider a Husquvarna Hatchet...Wetterlings is making them for Husquvarna...

That hasn't' been the case for several years now, since Wetterlings changed ownership. The new Husky produts are pretty roughly made.

Note the reviews you cite are 2 years old. They had already changed suppliers by then.

Yeah the post/thread was 2 years old but the results are still rlevant and valid. BTW Husqvarna does not make the 'tomahawk' profile anymore, they changed the Head to a GB profile.

"The two most powerful warriors are patience and time."
� Leo Tolstoy
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Originally Posted by freedomguy
Why not consider a Husquvarna Hatchet...Wetterlings is making them for Husquvarna...

That hasn't' been the case for several years now, since Wetterlings changed ownership. The new Husky produts are pretty roughly made.

Note the reviews you cite are 2 years old. They had already changed suppliers by then.

Yeah the post/thread was 2 years old but the results are still rlevant and valid. BTW Husqvarna does not make the 'tomahawk' profile anymore, they changed the Head to a GB profile.

The new models are of inferior quality to the old Wetterlings made Husky Axes(which IS the case).

You are wrong and the info you are passing along as gospel is outdated.

Sorry.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Glad I ordered the G B wildlife hatchet. Couple of my buddies thought I was nuts for spending $112 on a hatchet but a tool that will give you at least 20 years of use I think the cost is well justified.
Good tools are a joy to use. Crap is crap and you end up fighting or hating it until you toss it in the garbage can. Then you always have that nagging feeling you should of bought the better one in the first place:)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When yer hatchet comes in, you can improve the handle by knocking the finish off with sandpaper, flaming the wood and polishing with some steel wool. Then, apply 3-4 good coats of boiled linseed oil. Oil it up again once a year, or as needed. Get the end-grains good, and you'll never have to swell with water. The oil finish adds a little 'grippy-ness', and won't cause blisters like laquers or poly does, if you have to work it hard.....

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I remember my cousin telling me he used to cut up elk, moose and deer in Wy with two small hand axes in the late 50s and early 60s. One axe poll is hit against the other. I can see that method as being fairly accurate.

If a hunter brings only one axe I would think there would be some inaccurate cuts.

Can anyone explain with detail how they use one hand axe to "break down" an animal?
------------
Here is a site for some wonderfully hand crafted axes called Hawks. I have a woodsman that late Bob Thailman sold me 15 yrs ago at the Bozeman gun show. http://www.2hawks.net/tomahawks/

I have often thought it might be interesting to use it on one of my elk hunts but have doubts on its utility vs a Wyoming saw for accurate cuts.

S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
I never used a hatchet to break down an animal and really have no plans to start now. But as I mentioned before we used chain saws on moose. Some areas of Alaska require you to bring the meat out in sections and sawing through a back bone or neck or trying to cut off the antlers is very time consuming using a hand saw.

BTY, I quit using a Wyoming saw years ago after carrying a Stanley Crosscut saw that cost about $14 and weighs less than a pound. The crosscut saw will put the Wyoming to shame:
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-20-04...sr=8-1&keywords=stanley+crosscut+saw

A hatchet or axe is a camping tool. If not chopping or splitting wood the most common thing I used a hatchet for when in the field is helping clear brush around a kill site followed by getting wood ready for camp fires and for making meat poles.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

537 members (22kHornet, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 007FJ, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 55 invisible), 2,261 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,347
Posts18,506,203
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.