Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
RDW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I loaded 85 TSX's in my kids 243's, started them at .050" off the lands and both shot best 3/10 under max.

I want to fine tune the load with seating depth, would you suggest +/- .010" or .020"?

Dave

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
.040", .030", etc, and don't be surprised if they don't shoot best at .050+.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I read a thread a few years ago that Kamo Gary started about seating Barnes deep to get them to shoot good. It worked great the three times I tried it. Basically, seat them to the deepest cannelure and work up. In other words the neck stops at the cannelure as if you were gonna crimp it. After the third go around with the same results, I'm confident I can get them to shoot good with minimal range time if the rifle is any good.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
RDW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
If I load one set longer and one set shorter, is .010 enough or add/subtract .020?

Dave

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I loaded TTSX's this year at.030, .050, and .070 off and all shot between 1/2 and 3/4 inch with the best going to the .050 off the lands load. .030 was a little under 5/8 and the .070 at 3/4.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have done 40 or so rifles for monos, mostly Barnes. Some are best at .010 off and some have been beyond .125.

If they don't shoot at .050 I just move up to .010 off and back up in .010 increments. It can get to be a PITA, but methodic approach is fastest and cheapest.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I loaded for a 243 TC Icon with the 85 gr Barnes TSX. I started at .050 off the lands and they were ok but not spectacular loads. I went to .040 and .030 and the groups opened up. I eneded up.080 of the lands and they shot lights out.
The powder was IMR4064.

Bill

Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
.o7-.08 is where I have found barnes work for my sako

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Seat 'em deep on the Barnes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems all mine end up with the first band right at the case mouth. Some claim a kiss is the place to be, but the only bullets I've ever shot that needed a kiss were 75 Amax.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 16bore
Seems all mine end up with the first band right at the case mouth. Some claim a kiss is the place to be, but the only bullets I've ever shot that needed a kiss were 75 Amax.

I recommend STARTING with a load that uses the uppermost - towards the pointy end - band as if it were a cannelure, even to the point of putting a bit of crimp into that groove and 8 tmes out of ten that load is among the best. IF that does not work, then I try .010 off and .050 off. If none of those shoots well, I MIGHT try one or two more loads, but most likely I will figure the barrel to be too dainty or sensitive or picky or finicky or whatever term you want to use. But in essence I am thinking new barrel rather than spend a whole lot more time and energy on it. Rarely do I have to use other than the top uppermost band with a crimp.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Higbean
I read a thread a few years ago that Kamo Gary started about seating Barnes deep to get them to shoot good. It worked great the three times I tried it. Basically, seat them to the deepest cannelure and work up. In other words the neck stops at the cannelure as if you were gonna crimp it. After the third go around with the same results, I'm confident I can get them to shoot good with minimal range time if the rifle is any good.

Thread was by Safariman. That's right. Sorry man.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've only shot X's in a couple/few hundred barrels and this schit never doesn't not crack me the [bleep] up.

Kiss,find pressure and rock on. Get a kick outta Boobs burning up components and whining about same.

Weatherby freebore an obvious hurdle,that mandates different moves and I like a caliber of shank with .003" constriction there.

L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
Depends on the rifle. Like other bullets, regardless of construction, sometimes deep seating is best, other times it's not. My NULA .308 shoots the 168 TSX BT most accurately with the bullet seated at maximum recommended COAL for the cartridge, 2.81". A Cooper .270 is similar using the 130 TSX BT.

In developing a load, I start out initially loading 3 rounds with a less-than-max charge and seating the bullet just a bit short of engraving, then go .03" deeper, and finally .06" deeper. It's seldom one of these depths won't work well.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Boxer
I've only shot X's in a couple/few hundred barrels and this schit never doesn't not crack me the [bleep] up.

Kiss,find pressure and rock on. Get a kick outta Boobs burning up components and whining about same.

Weatherby freebore an obvious hurdle,that mandates different moves and I like a caliber of shank with .003" constriction there.

Who let you out of the crib?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by lotech
Depends on the rifle. Like other bullets, regardless of construction, sometimes deep seating is best, other times it's not. My NULA .308 shoots the 168 TSX BT most accurately with the bullet seated at maximum recommended COAL for the cartridge, 2.81". A Cooper .270 is similar using the 130 TSX BT.

In developing a load, I start out initially loading 3 rounds with a less-than-max charge and seating the bullet just a bit short of engraving, then go .03" deeper, and finally .06" deeper. It's seldom one of these depths won't work well.

It'd be funny to watch you screw schit up.

Would be very curious to see how your sizer/seater are set,in conjunction with the other cluelessness. It takes an epic [bleep] Boob,to be quoting "max recommended COAL for the cartridge,2.81" "...in a 3" box. Funny schit!

It's fairly impressive,how far folks go,to [bleep] schit up on purpose.

Wow.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
max COL for me is the mag box length minus .005". No sense restricting the load, especially if using heavy for cal bullets.

With the TTSX I start as far out as I can, work back from there if necessary. My Sako's let me use all the mag box without jamming the throat.

RDW Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Stick, the throat is different by .015 between the rifles and I don't want to work up different loads. Just fine tune what works right now and they can interchange ammo without jamming bullets if needed. In my rifles base to ogive is maxed out from the start.

If you know why my 223 follower is jacked up let me know, pm if needed.

Dave

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You simply build ammo in accords to kiss the shortest throat. No thang and the only good move you've got. I segregate ammo for rifles,by different color,shape or style of ammo box and good notes on same. Controlling seating depth,is the single greatest attribute of Reloading. Hint.

Typically,the front of the box is a generality and their tops are particulars,with load notes affixed internally on the underside of the lid. Cain't like stickers there and use markers expressly.

Do whatever it takes,so your schit makes sense to you.

[Linked Image]

Now as to follower drag,that is no thang. As per always,I'd suggest the "Start At The [bleep] Start" Thread and take notes,then apply same. It well covers most thangs,pertaining to F/F(feed/function).

Your follower is jacked,because you [bleep] sumptin' up.(grin)

After getting a tight fitting magbox married balls deep to the receiver,you always wanna drift your follower through it's internals(upside down spring dangle) and ascertain it flies freely. If/when adjusting poorly oriented OEM magbox feed rails,it is possible to getcha an amidship magbox roadblock,that will impede the follower's travel. I simply take a chunka wedge,set it inside the box and tap lightly,so as to allow more width through the guts...less changing feed rail geometry. 'Bout 3 seconds of "work".

Not all followers is equal and if it ain't milled,it's [bleep] junk. Follower ride height and spring geometry is easily discerned atta glance and if your follower isn't fully kissing parallel on the receiver's underside,when the box has no ammo...you's got f/f issues.

Simply bend the spring so schit is riding square,prior to install and confirm that geometry ain't skewed,after install.

Hit that Thread and thank me later.

Hey...where did all the "Precision" Land Leapers go?!!?

Laffin'!

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
RDW, how can you know were you really are if you don't start from a kiss? I would think after finding the sweet spot on each rifle then you could extrapolate your next move for an all around.

Its hard to get lost starting from the start/

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

597 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1234, 10gaugeman, 160user, 61 invisible), 2,028 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,879
Posts18,479,058
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.