Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Between weight, accuracy, and chambering the only thing you could improve on much is weight.

That being said there isn't much left to think about there. The rifle itself will work fine.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Recruit
Thanks for all the responses guys.

I'm not familiar with the terrain we were supposed to hunt as I was a "tag-along" but was told to be ready for up to 250 yard shots. I'd like to think I could move in closer than 250 yards but thats coming from my eastern hunting perspective. Seems a 308 bolt would be just the ticket for a lighter weight rifle.

I had spent time and effort getting into shape and shooting and will continue to do so in hopes of going next year.

I'm in no rush to dump the BAR either. However, I may jump if a deal on the right 308 (or 30-06) bolt gun passes my way.
Elk country is highly varied. Usually getting closer than 250 is possible but not necessarily. Either way, 250 isn't a long shot at all. Practice a bunch at 300 and you'll find it to be fairly easy if you can get a good rest. Most elk hunters I know sight in at 200.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Seriously.....Do you know how many elk are taken each year with bows, and muzzleloaders with open sights?

If your outfitter can't get you closer than 250yds. I'd look for a new one.

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
Recruit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Mauser_Hunter
Originally Posted by Recruit
Cmon...admit you just want to buy a new gun.

I hunted my whole life with a lever action 30-30 with no lost elk. What you think you need, and what you want are different.

Want and need...there's allot of truth in both your statements and applies to much in life as well smile

Actually thought about using my 1952 300 Savage 99 but wouldn't want to D&T for a scope. Of course the peeps on it could work but I digress.

Aren't you glad I don't think I "need" a 300winmag or larger?

I can make the decision a bit easier for you. Do want to sell the Savage 99? I've always NEEDED one of those. smile

Thanks for the offer Mauser_Hunter but I'm going to hang onto the Savage. My wife looks at the small stash of firearms and asks why I NEED that many. Can't say I have a solid answer blush If she would just substitute the word WANT into that sentence, then I could talk for hours!

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I found out a long time ago that I didn't need another wife. Just me and the dog, and he lets me buy as many guns as I want. smile

Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a hunting license and that's pretty close.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You don't want to get teh wife involved in the gun procurement program, she'll mess it up with logic.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fireball2
You don't want to get teh wife involved in the gun procurement program, she'll mess it up with logic.

+1

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you like the rifle, keep it. If 2 pounds in a rifle is the difference between getting up the mountain or not then there may be other issues to resolve. I hunt everything with an old M70 30-06. It's a heavy bugger weighing in over 9 lbs but with a decent sling or better yet a pack with a built in scabbard it's no problem. Then when you get ready to shoot, the extra weight is a plus.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Royce
I'd go with something like a 270 or 30/06 that is relatively inexpensive to shoot if you are not a handloader, and then practice like hell on being able to shoot quickly and accurately from standing, sitting and kneeling positions. If you are like most, you are way overthinking what rifle to use and way UNDERTHINKING being able to hit a pie plate size area at 300 yards quickly.

^^^^^

ThisοΏ½EXACTLY

And you can improve on the BAR by getting something with a bolt handleοΏ½.

Nailed rather nicely.......what they said

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Yes, keep it simple.

Winchester Model 70 Classic.

For a dedicated Elk rifle .338 Win Mag With 200gr-225gt BT/AB

For a GP rifle that also kills elk nicely, as above but in .300 WSM or 30.06 with 180gr NBT.

Reliable 3-9 or 4.5-14.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Seriously.....Do you know how many elk are taken each year with bows, and muzzleloaders with open sights?

If your outfitter can't get you closer than 250yds. I'd look for a new one.

I normally hunt elk with a muzzleloader but if I was using a scoped bolt action rifle and my outfitter got me within 250 yards of a nice bull, I'd shoot it. But before that, I'd become proficient with the rifle and utilize it to its full capabilities.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If I was the type to use an outfitter. I would too.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Ive seen a whole lot of different rifles used in our elk hunting club over the last 45 years and theres been fads come and go,in what was considered the ideal elk rifle type and caliber,the 300 mags and 7mm mags were hot in the 70s the 338 win and 35 whelen still have guys who believe they are the best choices,
the fact is that your 30/06 will do the job just fine! especially if YOUR familiar with how to use it and use good ammunition, and the BAR is a bit heavy but its certainly a good accurate and dependable choice that Id have no issue using.
IVE LOADED AND USED THIS FOR DECADES
30/06............200grn speer....215 fed primer......48-49 grains win 760
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000212211

Id suggest forgetting about changing rifles and concentrate on rather extensive practice shooting from field position's, learning to use a sling and bi-pod and use of a good 180-200 grain bullet.
what your armed with will have far less effect on your results that how good you are at using it, knowing your games anatomy and how effective you are at finding and getting well into range of a decent elk, and believe me when I say on most hunts its that finding and getting into range thats difficult, not killing an elk, especially with a 30/06, its just not that difficult once your in reasonable close, and with a 30/06 , a good bi-pod and sling even 350 yards or more is do-able

Last edited by 340mag; 11/28/13.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've owned two BAR's. Both rifles the bolt got sluggish when then temps were in the teens and below. Also if you carry with an empty chamber, its going to make a bit more noise than a bolt when you load one in the tube. You can get around the first problem by using a different lube. As the temps where I used to hunt were usually in the 30's and 40's this wasn't much of a problem, once or twice a year. But say a 4th season hunt it can be a factor. As for the empty chamber, there is no way to do it quietly and be certain that the rifle will go off when you hit the trigger. At least not the two BAR's I had.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
you bring up a valid point if you use some lubes and don,t winterize the semi-auto action, but in 45 years I can,t think of a single time I heard of a properly cleaned and lubed BAR having issues.
I can see where it might happen, but I can tell you,
the dry graphite based lubes and a good intensive solvent cleaning then limited application of dry graphite based lube helps.
thats what I used on my 338 bar and 270 BAR, in Colorado and it seemed to work out well.

Last edited by 340mag; 11/28/13.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
A synthetic oil should do well.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Clean all lubes of, then lube with Mobil Synthetic, Zero to Minus 20. A person will never have a problem with temps using it.

I don't consider the BAR all that heavy. What was heavy was Browning 1886 reproduction that weighed 13 lbs loaded and a M1 Garand that tipped the scales over 10 lbs.
Even the old TC Hawkins and Senecas muzzle loaders in 50 cal were heavier than the BAR

Last edited by saddlesore; 11/28/13.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I was going to buy a BAR 7mm mag from my gunsmith, but he sold it before i could get to it. I had asked him to weight it, and it said it was 8 lbs without a scope. It's no lightweight.

Last edited by Mauser_Hunter; 11/28/13.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by 340mag
Ive seen a whole lot of different rifles used in our elk hunting club over the last 45 years and theres been fads come and go,in what was considered the ideal elk rifle type and caliber,the 300 mags and 7mm mags were hot in the 70s the 338 win and 35 whelen still have guys who believe they are the best choices,
the fact is that your 30/06 will do the job just fine! especially if YOUR familiar with how to use it and use good ammunition, and the BAR is a bit heavy but its certainly a good accurate and dependable choice that Id have no issue using.
IVE LOADED AND USED THIS FOR DECADES
30/06............200grn speer....215 fed primer......48-49 grains win 760
http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=000212211

Id suggest forgetting about changing rifles and concentrate on rather extensive practice shooting from field position's, learning to use a sling and bi-pod and use of a good 180-200 grain bullet.
what your armed with will have far less effect on your results that how good you are at using it, knowing your games anatomy and how effective you are at finding and getting well into range of a decent elk, and believe me when I say on most hunts its that finding and getting into range thats difficult, not killing an elk, especially with a 30/06, its just not that difficult once your in reasonable close, and with a 30/06 , a good bi-pod and sling even 350 yards or more is do-able

One of my nephews uses a BAR in 30.06 with 180gr NBT.

The only problems he has are the result of insufficient practice.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If I was the type to use an outfitter. I would too.

Never used one myself. And that fact alone would keep me from advising others on when they need to get a new one.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Page 3 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

225 members (12344mag, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 44mc, 375TN, 21 invisible), 1,651 guests, and 1,033 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,485,967
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.