Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 21 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 20 21
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
This is like the antithesis of Emericus' hunting story.

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by jryoung
This is like the antithesis of Emericus' hunting story.

grin

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by snubbie
Very nice write-up. I enjoyed it very much! Thanks for posting!

+1.

I like how you kept us in suspense!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Congrats on an awesome bull, a stellar hardcore solo hunt that is oh so rewarding, and the best of luck to you hunting out east for a big mature buck.

Btw, you might have considered going back up after the one you photographed, 2 trophies from the same area going in blind folded would be pretty sweet if I may say.

Most of the important things in the world have been accomplished by people who have kept on trying when there seemed to be no hope at all.
- Dale Carnegie
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I know this story is true, we ran into Formilidosis on our hunt. It is amazing how much high country you can see and how much snow you can have then not have. Dining out once in awhile makes it even better.

Who cares how much is true, it beats the hell out of most of the lies that have been told here for years...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Tanner
Originally Posted by eyeball
Ok. BS found his bull again. It would spoil? 40 in the day. YGBFK moi. Gut and skin and no meat loss in a month or two if its less than 30 at night. It can grow green on the outer crust and you can scrape it off with a knife. Hell, in those temps just gut and roll it over some branches for air circulation the first night. The meat temp will fall to the point you have a week or two to skin debone and pack it out

It doesn't sound as if you've tended to many elk before.

Tanner

Tanner, its typically much warmer in archery elk season.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
S
SLM Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Who cares how much is true, it beats the hell out of most of the lies that have been told here for years...

^^This^^. Good read either way.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Mr. Formidilosus,
When you have time, tell us about your rifle/cartridge setup.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
You are the man! I bow down to you.

Out with the deer hunt!!!

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by Tanner
Originally Posted by eyeball
Ok. BS found his bull again. It would spoil? 40 in the day. YGBFK moi. Gut and skin and no meat loss in a month or two if its less than 30 at night. It can grow green on the outer crust and you can scrape it off with a knife. Hell, in those temps just gut and roll it over some branches for air circulation the first night. The meat temp will fall to the point you have a week or two to skin debone and pack it out

It doesn't sound as if you've tended to many elk before.

Tanner

40 in the day, twenty at night? Are you kidding me. I have hunted in colorado and mt. With guys who skin, quarter, hang in the shade and let it age under the crust it forms as it dries, that is, when it thaws enough in the day to do any aging.

Good aged beef may hang in 35 degrees for more than 3 weeks. If left in the mid twenties over night and kept in the shade in the day a quarter off an elk won't get over 38 in the day, and beef can be aged at that temp. For probably a week.

Last edited by eyeball; 11/29/13.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know this story is true, we ran into Formilidosis on our hunt. It is amazing how much high country you can see and how much snow you can have then not have. Dining out once in awhile makes it even better.

LOL

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I would enjoy it if all the initial naysayers of the story would please post up pics of their 2013 bulls. Thanks in advance!!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SLM

Yup, quite a tale...

Black Cows Matter!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
LMAO...looks like exceptional fair chase on public land to me. Congrats and thanks for the posts.

quote=dinkshooter]I would enjoy it if all the initial naysayers of the story would please post up pics of their 2013 bulls. Thanks in advance!! [/quote]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Yeah the story can't be bullshidt...nobody could look that beat up and raunchy without having earned it.. grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Absolutely one of, if not the best, detailed hunting stories I've ever read/seen on the internet or in any hunting magazine going back to the 50's. Great details in the narrative, great, to the point photographs and first class analysis as to what happen, how it was dealt with and why. All in all, better than anything I've ever read.
You are, w/o the slightest doubt, in better physical condition than I have ever been in. But, even more important, you could tell when you were reaching your limit of exhaustion, or your ability to suffer from the effects of the weather and what to do about it. This, I suspect is the result of lots of training from Uncle Sugar's Trade School and lots of practice using that training.
Yes, I believe what you posted is true. You accurately described the effects of exhuation and what you did to deal with it. You accurately described the effects of the weather and how you dealt with that. I've been close enough to these conditions many times to recognize the description. And, no, I didn't deal with them as you did, but I have no doubt what you did worked for you.
I will say that very few of us could have done what you did. You certainly earned that bull. Too bad you missed the other one.
I was also impressed by how you analyzed your difficulties and failures to learn from them.
Again, first class job of posting. To the point where I'd call it the best I've ever seen. E

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Formid: i may have missed it, what rifle/load was doing the work?

haters: dont hate on the hard-charger. its actually a good thing to push yourself physically ...

Uber Demanding Rifle Aficionado
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Excellent story, and good job on that elk.

Most of us did some crazy stuff for our first bull.

Hopefully most readers will pick up on the "don't try this at home" theme unless they really know themselves and their limits. I know several hunters with many elk under their belts who wouldn't have lasted into day 2 on a hunt like that. Hell, I don't think I'd have made it past SD.

Looks like you have a PLB of some sort. I'm a big fan myself. I've found they do wonders for bravery after a guy has a family at home.

sd

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by muleshoe
Originally Posted by SLM

Yup, quite a tale...

^This^
It was a great story. As far as naysayers, regardless what anyone thinks, it has no bearing on the greatness of the story and how it was told. Whether any of us, some of us, or none of us have ever done this or gotten a bull ourselves this year, is irrelevant and does not add any veracity nor take away any from the story.
Having just done my own "out west" solo backpack hunt in October of 2012, I have the upmost respect for anyone who does it, as I'm sure anyone on here who has done backpack hunts solo would agree. And most, certainly not my trip, even begins to approach the extremity of this trip!

It doesn't matter what anyone thinks or believes, either way, it was obviously a great trip and told brilliantly and I agree, better than most of what I read or definitely see on TV!

My hat's off to the young man!

Gloria In Excelsis Deo!

Originally Posted by Calvin
As far as gear goes.. The poorer (or cheaper) you are, the tougher you need to be.

gpopecustomknives.com

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What an adventure! I couldn't wait for the next installment. Now I really can't wait to hear about the deer hunting! I'm thinkin that those who call BS on this story are maybe a bit more advance in years than Fromidilosis and are wishin they still had IT! Just sayin!

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
Page 9 of 21 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (10gaugemag, 308ld, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 12 invisible), 1,642 guests, and 954 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,630
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.