Home
Right at the end of October I found out that I would have most of November off, which meant that something out west needed to hold a tag for me. It had been a couple of years since I had hunted out there but knew that I didn't want to go to Colorado, so I checked the Wildlife departments of the states that held both Elk and Mule deer and found that while expensive, Montana still had some leftover combo tags. Sounded good to me so I bought my tag and then headed up to work for the next few days knowing that I basically would plan on the way there.

5 days later on the fourth of Nov. I started the nearly forty hour drive with a stop about 10 hours in to get my gear. I hadn't had time to pack before I left for work, so I stopped by my place quickly threw the gear I thought I would need in the truck, picked up a rifle that was getting a new stock inletted for it, remounted the scope, zeroed, put a couple of rounds on the 475 yard plate to make sure the data was still good, ate lunch with a buddy, picked up my tags and got back on the road. I did most of the planning in my head while driving and generally it was unaventful until I reached South Dakota and it started snowing pretty heavy-
[Linked Image]

Made a stop at Cabela's for some Mountain House meals and other small items that I was lacking-
[Linked Image]

Drove most of the night until I started to dose off and pulled over at an exit and caught a couple hours of sleep. Woke up to this-
[Linked Image]

Stopped in Rapid City, SD-
[Linked Image]

at a place called Tally's, had a fantastic breakfast-
[Linked Image]

And continued on. Just a wee bit cold....
[Linked Image]

Thirty something hours later I crossed into Mt...
[img]http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx87/Vereor1/image_zpsac4ecd45.jpg[/img]

I really had no idea where to go as I had never stepped foot into Montana, but searching online pointed to some general areas. So I kind of just threw a dart at the map and said I'll start there. My plan was to hit up a couple of the Game & Fish departments and see if I was on the right track. I passed one of the National Forest Service offices and turned around. They were pleasant, however not that much help. I'm sure they get tired of all the "where's the deer/elk" questions. I stopped into the Billings office and met a gentleman there that was a huge help. Really above and beyond. When I speak to people I try to have places already in mind and questions written down, never "where's the ______" questions, however, this gentleman put X's on the map and spent almost an hour pouring over the maps with me. Oddly enough his #1 suggestion was in the same drainage that I had placed that "dart". Sweet! Was good to know that a bit of research and planning paid off. If you're reading this Sir, thank you.

Back on the road for a bit until my stomach started growwling, so a quick stop at a great brewery in Bozeman-
[img]http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx87/Vereor1/image_zps35f4fea1.jpg[/img]

A Bison, bacon, blue cheese burger did the trick-
[img]http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx87/Vereor1/image_zpsf7d5bda8.jpg[/img]

And I finished up most of the drive that night, and just a bit the next morning. Stopped to get some gas and started talking with the store owner, and when he found out that I was solo backpacking he pulled out a map and asked where I was headed. I told him and he said that's where I was going to suggest. He also circled a couple of other areas if the first didn't pan out. Class act all the way. This would become the standard everywhere I went in Mt.

Finally reached the trailhead on the fourth day of traveling. Quickly wrote down a packing list-
[img]http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx87/Vereor1/image_zpscab6077d.jpg[/img]

to be continued......
Cool schit.

Travis
Pretty solid A zone there!
Very good start..
Loaded the pack up and started off. My thought was to go where no one would be, get as high as possible and glass until my eyes bled for three days or so and switch valleys if it was an empty hole. I passed a couple on horses right at the trailhead coming out at around 1 or 2pm but saw no other hunters. There was a front moving in and I guess they didn't want to be caught in it... After a couple or miles the mountains on either side were still straight up and looking at the map I knew horses couldn't make it on that side at all, and doubted that any hunter was dumb enough to try climbing it.... so I did. grin...

Here's a shot of where I climbed up from later on when the snow melted-
[Linked Image]

From the bottom it was around 2k feet up...

At that time everything was covered in 6-8 inches of snow. The photo does not do the steepness justice. It was pure hands and feet climbing for over two hours at a very solid pace. About halfway up I took a break and glassed what I could see of the valley and opposing ridge. Right up near the top of the opposite ridge, I spotted elk feeding out of the timber-
[Linked Image]

Eventually twelve cows fed out.

And then the weather came in...
[Linked Image]

I knew that I was close to where I wanted to be and that it was supposed to be a rough night, so climbed a bit further until I found a decent place to camp. Gathered some wood, bundled up and made a fire-
[Linked Image]

That night was not fun. The wind howled. I was using a bivy and bag and I had thought it had turned to rain in the middle of the night as it pelted my face the whole time. Turns out it wasn't rain-
[Linked Image]

But it did clear up-
[Linked Image]

So with frozen boots on, I packed up, made sure the fire was out, and trudged up the ridge in fresh foot deep snow. At the top, along the spine of the ridge I noticed a couple of Muley's staring at me above a steep rockslide. Two does and a decent 4x4... The ridge offered an excellent view for several miles. Out the glass came. For 40 minutes or so I scanned every ridge, meadow, and snow-slide in view. First binos then the spotter. I came off the spotter to give my eyes a break and immediately noticed something on a snow covered ridge nearly two miles away. A quick peek with the bino and quickly put the spotter on them-
[img]http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx87/Vereor1/image_zps4145b5ae.jpg[/img]

It was a bunch of elk with three legal bulls that I could tell. They were also in a place that would be awful to get to. Suppose that's why they were there. Looking them over and deciding what to do as I figured that it would take the entire day to reach them, I noticed that the bull just right of center chasing the others off and then get assert his dominance on one of the cows..... grin
[img]http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx87/Vereor1/image_zpsa7bdbc84.jpg[/img]

Game on....

It took 30 minutes or so of pushing hard to reach the bluff I had climbed the day before. I never know why I don't think about coming down, while climbing up, but I don't. With over a foot of snow now, it was not good. I started off trying to go forward using the shooting sticks to find rocks, but after 4 or 5 slips and ensuing slides until catching a tree or boulder I switched it up and just climbed down facing it. Already the rifle had taken two or three hard smacks on the rocks seeing how it was in a Kifaru Gun Bearer. I knew that if I didn't take it out and hold it, I would break the stock. I held onto the sling and forend for the next 20-30 minutes. About 10-15 yards above the sheer drop off, the rocks gave way and I flipped on my back tossing the rifle, knowing that I was about to go off and hoping that if I went feet first I would just break my legs... It was around a 60 foot drop and I watched rifle flip end over end until it dropped over the ledge. I was on my back sliding fast trying to grab anything to stop. The first two bushes just tore away doing nothing to slow me down. I was able to snatch the last small tree right above the drop off and it held. When it stopped me my right foot was dangling over the edge. I was still only holding on by my left hand and used my right to hit the quick releases on the pack. It broke away and shot off the cliff, taking what seemed like forever to hit.

I pulled myself up into the bush and scooted over to a bigger boulder and just sat there for a while. While not one to get bothered by trials and tribulations, I needed a break. After while I was able to see a route down that looked doable, and made it only going down one or twice along the way. Once at the bottom I went straight to the rifle, sure that the stock was toast. To a bit of surprise I could find nothing but chips and deep scratches. The pack of course was fine, though I wanted to check the zero on the rifle. Truly wasn't worried about the scope, but still figured the stock was gone. So I loaded up, and gave one last look back at what had just happened. [bleep] that.

Two hours later I was back at the trailhead. Drove for a while until I found a safe place to shoot and found a rock at 587 yards. Pulled the rifle out, put glasses on... grin, dialed and held 1.4 mils for wind. Shot two rounds and wouldn't you know it was still zeroed-
[img]http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx87/Vereor1/image_zps6989949e.jpg[/img]

If you look two mils right and 1.75 mils down or so you'll see a small black spot and two white dots just above and on either side of it. The black spot was the aimpoint and is approximately 4 inches in diameter. Good gear sells itself, and glass "clarity and brightness" are not at the top of the list of importance.

to be cont.....
That afternoon I drove back to the trailhead, hustled the few miles in and started up. I climbed and climbed and climbed. The tracks from other hunters petered out around an hour into it. At two hours they just stopped. Two more hours and I reached the first saddle, moving along to the east for another 45 minutes and spotted a couple of cows moving out of the timber slightly below me-
[Linked Image]

Further past them another 1k yards or so 6 or 7 more were in a small meadow. None of the elk that I had seen were visible at all until you got above them. And they were waaay up there...

I continued on trying to reach the spot where the herd from this morning had been. The snow was pretty deep-
[Linked Image]

And the mountain was very steep at times. It took two right at two more hours to reach the spot where the elk had been-
[Linked Image]

Unfortunately there were no elk. So I sat down, fired up the JetBoil, popped open a can of Venom that I carried for just that moment-
[Linked Image]

And even though the cold combined with the altitude tried to hamper my efforts of happiness...... They lost.
[Linked Image]

The sunset was spectacular, the Raspberry crumble was spot on, and the drink burned just right...
[Linked Image]

to be cont.....
Wow, I hope you get one!
Fantastic!
Don't leave us hanging like you on that cliff grin
I'm diggin it.....

I don't think there is a "truer" way to do it and I commend you.

In reading through from your getting into your truck to the top of the hill you fast-forwarded through three months (?-four?) of life and travel in the, say, 1830s.

Quite a trip. Looking forward to the rest of the story.

Wow, that sounds pretty much like what I do just to get home every night...
Very good stuff! I've had one of those unintentional, looking over a cliff moments. Puckered me right up. Spooky...

You're spinning one heck of a yarn, please keep it going.
Awesome! Keep it coming!
Moar please
Thanks for sharing a great adventure. You've made your hunt elk or no elk. Good going!
Desire?
Death wish?
I'm lovin' it.

[bleep], I need a nap after just reading about the drive....
That's hardcore!!
Great read so far.
Don't weaken now, finish the story.

Great read so far.
Originally Posted by aalf

[bleep], I need a nap after just reading about the drive....

I turned around and went home when I seen the pic of snow.....
Balls...

You got em haha
Dang, this sounds like a lot of work. wink
Well, I'm going to bed. I'll have to catch the rest of the story tomorrow. If there is a "rest of the story".

Maybe he fell off a cliff this time and can't finish the story. Talk about your cliff hangers.......

Sorry. grin
Boy, talk about an adventure! This kid has got some "true grit" to do this. The nurse is probably changing his bandages. eek
I look for a great ending.
Pins and needles here. C'mon man!
I was young and dumb once, but not that crazy. Great story. Good luck.
Good way to start my day
I see nothing happened overnight.
Left us with a suspenseful "cliffhanger"..... grin
Sweet journal of a hardcore... Keep it up! Can't wait to see how this turns out!
Loved the BGG target/equip list! laugh

Notice you forgot to put beer on your list, tho...

Eagerly awaiting the third act. Give us some particulars on your shooting gear as well, please. Must be a tough scope.
Alright, here's the deal. Next time you go off having an adventure like this, make sure your re-telling of the story is complete before posting any of it, capiche?

For those of us stuck at the office this hunting season, we needs you to finish telling the story. No more leaving us hanging. Got it?

Okay, carry on.
I was in a conundrum: on the one hand as I was on top where I wanted to be, on the other there was literally zero cover or anywhere to get out of the wind. It was almost a mile of barren mountaintop in both directions with drop offs on both sides. My only option was to go back down below the saddle. Fortunately, earlier that day before I had started up, I realized that I was probably going to be repeating this back and forth through the big drainage the whole time, and left extra gear down in the bottom so I wouldn't have to go back out. With that I decided that to save time, I would cache most of my gear in a clump of bushes just below the spine of the ridge, knowing that I would move faster in the morning coming back up without a heavy pack. I pulled out my emergency bag, took off my puffy jacket and pants, rolled a water bottle and the Jetboil into them, and stuffed it into the pack.

Even though the snow was knee high to almost waist high in places I cruised down the mountain, relatively speaking in comparison to coming up and made it down to the other gear in about two and a half hours. Mostly because I was able to sit on my butt and slide down long patches at a time. I got to the gear, pulled out the bag and went straight to sleep.

1:30 am came way to early and the temperature had plummeted. I rolled the gear up, ate a snickers, filled the water bottle, and headed up. It did indeed go faster.... by about an hour. Once I reached the first saddle the wind had picked up to over 30 mph, and it was in the single digits. By the time I turned to go up to the ridge from the saddle I could no longer feel my feet at all, and my hands were barely hanging in there. The last 500 or 600 yards tested me. I was having conversations with myself. It seemed so silly that I could see my pack, yet it was taking forever to get to. I tried walking in my footsteps from the day before but the wind had all but covered them, and the snow had that awful crust on top so that every step you think it'll hold, and then as you lift the back foot it collapses and you sink past your knees. It got to the point that I had to take a step and pause. Take a step and pause. On the steeper parts I was having to kick toe holds into the slope for each step. It took three and a half hours to reach the pack, my water had frozen totally solid, and I had lost total feeling in my feet for over two. I needed to get warm and now.

Even though I put on the puff man suit the wind was smoking coming over the backside of the ridge and cutting right through it. I pulled the pack out of the cubbyhole in the bushes and started digging. In about 20 minutes I had built half a snow cave with the front open that I could sit in. I laid my vest on the snow and sat down. Wrapped myself in the bivy around the Jetboil and fired it up. I basically created a tent with the snow packed down on the back and sides blocking the wind and the bivy around the front and the stove as a heater. Took my boots off and laid my feet close to the stove until feeling started coming back. By now the sun had popped up and I took a look around.

Within ten minutes this started rolling in-
[Linked Image]

I was keenly aware that going solo, especially in this kind of weather means that you are afforded less margin of error, no room for mistakes and that you are your backup plan. There was no cell service whatsoever, I could see for miles (at least until the weather rolled in) with no one in sight. I was at a minimum 5 hours of hustle from the bottom, with another two to the trailhead, had barely any feeling in my feet, and once the weather came in my "BINGO" point had been reached and the decision for me to go back to the nearest spot to get out of the wind, build a small fire and get everything back in control was made for me.

It took a bit over an hour to find a finger jutting out from the ridge with a big downed tree that was partially burned out. Of course the feeling was gone in my extremities again, my gloves had frozen solid, and it was rough trying to gather tender that was dry enough to burn. After two or three tries I finally got it going-
[Linked Image]

There really is no describing what a fire will do for your mental stae in crappy situations.

What you can't see is that I had to dig down 18 inches or so in the snow to reach bare ground for the fire, I really wasn't out of the wind, and the heat from the fire warmed my boots up enough that as soon as I moved them and they touched snow it would melt and then a sheet a ice formed completely around them in less then a minute.

I sat there for 30 minutes or so deciding what to do. On the top I could see for 3+ miles on the back side and there were no elk. Heading east along the ridge ran into one of the biggest peaks in the entire range. West and south dropped into bare wasteland looking slopes, so really the drainage to the south that I was working in was it. I knew that there wasn't 100+ elk in there, but it was a big valley and I did know that there were some elk. I saw that if I continued down the finger for a half mile or so it met up with another one and made some broken ground with a few cedars/spruces and should offer at least a little protection from the wind. I gathered my stuff, put the fire out, making sure to move all of the very few small coals away from the burned out log, and started out. With some feeling returned to my feet and going downhill it only took about 30 minutes to make it to the trees. From there I had a good vantage point to glass most of the valley, and three "smaller" ridges.

It was very steep, so I dropped the gear and made my way over a couple of hundred yards to a cedar that must have broken in the storm a few days before. Back and forth I went carrying boughs to make a small platform to sit on. I gathered enough that I could build a small flat on so I wouldn't slide, and made a small fire to finish drying out my gloves and boots. Pulled out a snack and had to melt snow in the stove because my water was still frozen.

With that done, and the sun finally warming a bit I started glassing. A couple hours passed and a few deer fed out on a south facing slope below me-
[Linked Image]

A bit later a mile or so away-
[Linked Image]

Pretty solid buck-
[Linked Image]

An hour and a half before dark I see some lighter colored suspicious shapes 2+ miles out. Oddly to me three elk had fed out on a south facing slope in daylight-
[Linked Image]

to be cont.......
Man...this is an awesome thread!

You sir...are a stud.
Glad to see somebody's out there living life. best I can do is sit here and read this from my desk at work.
At first I thought they were cows, however further scrutiny revealed that they were all bulls, with one looking like a big 4 by 4 or 5x5, a smaller branch antlered bull and the other looked like a spike. I sat there for 30 seconds or a minute looking at them and deciding. There were two smaller ridges between us. It was a bit difficult to determine exactly what ridge they were on by the map but I tried to use the rangefinder to get an idea. Laughably it wouldn't get a reading until I hit the closest ridge about midway up and it popped back 1780 something yards. I had set a realistic goal on this trip with no prior planning, no experience in the area (or the state for that matter), no help, and in a unit with terrible successes rates for public land, of a legal branch antlered bull. I am consciously aware of my energy level, expenditure, and knowing how hard I could push and still recover at night. I could already feel a bit fatigued from the last 2.5 days, and I had an hour and a half to drop 2,600 feet or so to the valley floor down a very steep slide, go up and over two 1,500ft or so ridges, and across at least one rock slide, and then up 2k feet or so to get to them. I figured at least one creek crossing as well, but hopefully that would be frozen. I knew that if I made it, it would be a literal sprint and I would not be able to recover from it quickly. Looking at the ridge they were on I was also aware that the shot may be long and I would be pinging full on........

At this point in talking to myself is when my real personality kicked in and I sated out load- "there is no way you are going to let this bull mock you" . No matter what, I was ruining his day.

I started stripping clothes, put out the fire using half my water to soak it, broke down the spotter and was about to take off when it occurred to me that I might want to ensure that the bull had brow tines (brow tined unit). Out came the spotter again, and in a minute or so he silhouetted himself against a spruce and I could see that he was in fact legal. Packed it back up, snapped a wide view pic of the ridge they were on and my proposed path, and down I went.

Now at this point it gets truly stupid again. I have a bit of experience in the mountains, a high level of fitness is a requirement for me, rucking is non-negotiable, and I have a few 24-96 hour extreme adventure races behind me. I say this not out of ego or arrogance, but to say that when I state I jogged, to all out ran, down the mountain up and over the ridges I am not exaggerating.

With that; I dropped down from my vantage point approx. 900 feet and came to the first steep draw, cleared that, hit blowdown hell, up and over a small finger, found a deer/elk trail and sprinted 1k yards or so down and up a couple small but steep draws and one slide. I made it with only one slip up in a blowdown as I vaulted over a tree and my foot got hung up, tweaking my knee pretty good...

As soon as I left the point where I was sitting I lost sight of the bulls, so a couple hundred feet from the bottom I side hilled on a nearly vertical slope trying to get eyes on and ensure they were still there. As well, everything looks different from the bottom and I couldn't even see the ridge they were on. So I sat down, pulled out the map, compass and my phone, compared what I could see with the pictures I took and the map and determined that I was on the right path. I quickly checked the knee, and while it was already swollen, it would hold. I didn't have enough water to drink so I stood back up and down the face I slid. Once at the bottom of this draw it was a 50 yard wide drainage with a half frozen-half slush creek running through it. How it wasn't frozen solid I have no clue. I crossed that, and then followed it down to the main valley floor, but before reaching the bottom I saw that if I could make it, I could go up to the right over the steep ridge, parallel it, and then down the back side, cutting probably three quarters of a mile off.

It was only a few hundred yards up, I found a small game trail that criss-crossed the face of it and pushed as hard as I could. I would sprint for 10 or 20 yards and then fast walk for 10 or so. Constantly pushing. I had less then an hour. Once at the top, I ran the ridge back around to the east, dropped down a very steep slop using the trees to catch me on every step, hit the bottom, crossed a frozen creek, and then up the second ridge. I followed it to the east as well and it narrowed very quickly to to nearly sheer drop offs on either side. Now I knew from the map that all the topo lines converged into one on the back side of this ridge, but I wasn't going to let a little thing like that hold me back...

Arriving at the point that I wanted to drop off I was met with a couple hundred foot straight drop. I dropped the pack grabbed some trees and leaned over. It was a true bluff, sinking back in 10 or 15 feet all the way to the bottom. I looked to the right and it was worse. To the left looked like probable suicide....

Suicide's doable. Turned around, sprinted back down the ridge a 100 yards or so and realized there was no way to go down standing. Happily there were a bunch of small trees and bushes jutting out from the rocks and two-foot deep snow. I removed the gun from the back of my pack, cinched it to my chest, collapsed the shooting sticks all the way down, sat on my butt, scooted over to line myself up with a tree 40 or 50 feet below and over the edge I went.

I slammed into the tree with my right foot, but was able to catch myself. Looked around below and saw that I needed to move about five feet to the right to line up with the next tree down. I slid the 30 or so feet down with a better impact than the first. On it went all the way to the bottom 5 or 600 feet down. By the time I got to the end I had gotten pretty good at arching my back so only the pack, my hands and feet were touching the ground, and steering myself with one leg and my hands and using the other leg as the stop to hit trees and boulders. The last 75 feet or so there were no trees or rocks and it was a bit steeper. Oh well the bottom looked nice and plushy (like a cloud... grin) and there was certainly no going back up. Off I went... I ended up going a bit faster than planned... grin

In other words I shot down that slope like a rocket and when I hit, kind of like a soft fluffy cloud.... it did somewhere between d_ck and sh_t to cushion the blow. I nearly threw up.

A couple of deep breaths and off I went down the valley floor for about a mile.

I bumped into a cow moose and her calf after crossing the bigger creek-
[Linked Image]

When I could see the tree line running up the slope that was my backstop, I moved over to some easily identifiable bushes, pulled the pack off, undid the top lid, pulled out the shoulder straps turning it into a micro pack, pulled out my water bottle and thought it was a great idea to scoop some fresh snow into it thinking the little bit of water might melt the snow (great freaking idea... or not), marked the position into the GPS, put the emergency (E&E) bag into the baby pack, checked the rifle, dropped the extra ammo into the chest pack and then looked up.......

To be cont.....
Don't make it sound too easy now, EVERYONE will show up...
Great stuff. I'm getting zero work done until you finish this. It would be great if you could also do a review of your gear - packs, clothing, boots, glass, etc. At least the main stuff.
I could see for a ways up the slope. I sucked down a GU gel, swished one sip of water and studied. The last bit of ground I could range was a tick over 400 yards up. I now understood why the elk came out in daylight on a bare ridge.... There was no way to see them at all. And it was steeeep... there was no way that anyone walking by would think to go up. At least there was no snow. Jolly good.....

There was a slight depression going straight up the center with a small tree about 300 yards up. Looking up it made a slight "V" with the right and left sides rolling over into bare slope. To the right it rolled into a slope for about 3-400 yards bordered on the far right with that line of trees going up. The elk should be between the "V" and the tree line.... Hopefully.

Looking at it I figured that if I kept zig-zagging from right to left through the slight depression I could make it.

Understand at this point I had been going for over an hour at an all out pace starting at almost 10,000 feet with a 60 pound pack. No real food, other than a Twix since the night before....

I was running out of time and pushed as hard as I possibly could. The whole way up I was in that weird state between blacking out and throwing up. On top of that I had to be careful not to dislodge any rocks and make too much noise. I finally reached the small tree and still couldn't see over the lip. Saw a big pile of boulders the size of a couple of cars to the left and another hundred yards up and made my way to them. Still no elk. Once there I saw that I would have to move back to the right and it looked like a bit higher to break over the lip. There was a tall narrow weird shaped rock about where I needed to be. In five minutes I had hurried the 150 yards to the rock and right as I got to it I could see the tree line in the back and ranged it at 400 +/- yards. I forced a power breath in, stood on my tippy toes and peeked over.....

puck me there they were!

I could see what I think was the decent 5x5 and a 2x2 or tiny 3x3, both did have brow tines. I ranged the 5x at 374 yards facing me, and ducked behind the rock. The only way to see them to shoot was to climb on top of that 6 or 7 foot tall rock. It was only about three feet in diameter at the top with a little jagged spine coming off the right side. I knew it would be a very awkward position, and would be hard to stay on it. I pulled the pack and my vest off, rolled them up and eased up on the back side of the rock with my hands reaching up and setting the pack and jacket as a rest on top. Popped back down, dialed the turret, took half a second and felt the absolute slightest, less than 1mph wind coming from right to left, judged it to be a non issue and forced two deep breaths and up I climbed.....

The 5x had just walked up out of a slight depression, just on this side of the tree line and was broadside...
Hell of an adventure so far...
Awwwww schitt! Stopped at talley's for breakfast!

Attaboy
Epic read so far, prick tease of a cliffhanger!
At the rate he's going, his hunting career is going to be a short, albeit exciting, one.
moar please grin

Originally Posted by snubbie
At the rate he's going, his hunting career is going to be a short, albeit exciting, one.

I think he'll be all right
This is what is playing in my head as I read this story. Awesome read so far excited to see how it ends up.

Fortune favors the audacious......

John Colter was a wimp!!!
Originally Posted by n8dawg6

Nah, I am betting he ends up kilt before the story is over.
I think I believe about five words of the whole story, but I can't wait for the rest regardless.
Originally Posted by rl11
I think I believe about five words of the whole story, but I can't wait for the rest regardless.

There's always the one guy that will call BS... Hilarious.

Awesome story FormD. I'd also like to hear a gear review when you get the time.

Tanner
I'm glad Formidilosus is on my side! Now back to the story!
And I thought that I did some stupid things out hunting....

Rock on Formidilosus.
I think he is out signing a movie contract for "the rest of the story".
Is this what some guys call a "DIY" hunt? whistle
I know what his wallet says..................
Originally Posted by ctsmith
I know what his wallet says..................

Ha ha; right on! Call this man Jewels Winfield!
He probably had to go to his physical therapy session. Its an epic adventure, that is for sure.
Holy crap! I hope to do a western hunt for elk some day and I am in no where near the kind of shape I'd need to be to do this kind of thing.

This just convinced me to sign up for lamas, horses, a guide, a cook and a half dozen sherpas brought in from Nepal. Yes I think that will be my way of hunting an elk in the west.

Looking forward to the rest of the story.
Originally Posted by canoetrpr
...I'd need to be to do this kind of thing.

No one "needs" to do this kind of thing...well, not like this anyway. grin

I don't know, but I think maybe my BS meter is starting to "ping". whistle
Formidilosus, dude, holy [bleep], you are a MACHINE. Be careful out there.

Glad you made it back alive, and looking forward to the rest of your accounting.
Great read...hurry and finish dammit.
Originally Posted by Tanner

Tanner

I'll just stay quiet then and wait for the part where he takes out a pack of ninjas and stops to warm up a lost, shivering Kate Upton on the way to head-butting his elk to death.
I'm not doubting this dude's hardcorness, but exaggeration is afoot me thinks.

Going up and over two 1500 foot ridges then up another 2000 feet in an hour and a half, while eating no real food but a twix in the last 24 hours would test the absolute best athletes in the world.

Not to mention the cliff jumping scene. Good story regardless...
There are only 3 people on this entire website who are capable of such a feat.

One died, RIP Bigsqueeze.

One is in prison...Log Cutter.

One is working undercover....Ace.

Great thread so far 'Formidilosus'....wink wink.

Nice try Adair.
Don't forget Lee24.
C'mon now, let's not scare him away.
Just joking around.

Sweet thread.

Tanner

I'll just stay quiet then and wait for the part where he takes out a pack of ninjas and stops to warm up a lost, shivering Kate Upton on the way to head-butting his elk to death.

I have a hard time believing Kate Upton could even get cold.
PLEASE LET KATE UPTON END UP IN THIS STORY
And Randy Newburg with Team Sitka.

Frostbite?
Easier ways to kill a raghorn
Screw the elk, I just want to see pics of what he ate on the way home! wink
Too bad I sent the old suburban to Kansas or we could have drove there to see what he was lookin' at. grin

WOW! I'll never again complain about having to pack out another elk as long as I live.
Wow! Extreme hunting and dedication, for sure. Tip of the hat!
After watching that Kate Upton video, if she was at the end of this hunt, I'd sign up at my current level of fitness to go up and down those ridges.

Seriously though, I have no reason to disbelieve the hunting story here, so I believe it and am enjoying reading it. Although, I have determined that I will indeed do my western hunt for Elk some day with the assistance of Sherpas, a guide and access to a hot shower.
Tough crowd..
Great story, FormD! Looking forward to the finish!
Originally Posted by SamOlson
There are only 3 people on this entire website who are capable of such a feat.

One died, RIP Bigsqueeze.

One is in prison...Log Cutter.

One is working undercover....Ace

Great thread so far 'Formidilosus'....wink wink.

Nice try Adair.
. Log Cutter is in prison??? For what??????
Originally Posted by shrapnel

And could he string two sentences together? grin
This is like one of those Bourne novels, will Formy discover his own identity by the time he leaves Montana?
Log Cutter is in prison??? For what??????

For lacing Sam's Bud Light with antifreeze.....

Jayco cry

[Linked Image]

LOL Well apparently you didn't put enough in it! grin
Originally Posted by kinser
LOL Well apparently you didn't put enough in it! grin

Sam beds she griz for sport.....gonna take more than a lil antifreeze to kill him.....
Originally Posted by logcutter
Log Cutter is in prison??? For what??????

For lacing Sam's Bud Light with antifreeze.....

Jayco cry

[Linked Image]

SamO got roofied by logcutter? WOW! I feel for you Sam...

Formid- Please keep up the story. I'm diggin' it.
Awesome story, can't wait to read more. It is truly amazing what a guy can do when he puts his mind to it.
Originally Posted by n8dawg6

Until he breaks a leg, twists an ankle, gets perforated by a stob on a trunk buried in the snow, steps in a varmint hole, ....

Snubbie is right. It's like driving drunk.

Ha,ha. Yeah.
Originally Posted by Dog_Hunter
I'm not doubting this dude's hardcorness, but exaggeration is afoot me thinks.

Going up and over two 1500 foot ridges then up another 2000 feet in an hour and a half, while eating no real food but a twix in the last 24 hours would test the absolute best athletes in the world.

Not to mention the cliff jumping scene. Good story regardless...

5000 vertical up in an hour in snow with a 60 lb pack on his back, and for a 4x4.
You can tell he's a real man because he brings energy drinks and candy bars cool
Yeah. I'm not saying the story is false, but I wouldn't recommend it for the associated risks.

Tanner

If he leaves poor lost Kate to go head butt a bull we'll know the story is B.S.
Here is the rest of the story:

Just as I put the cross-hairs on the elk, I wake up. Kate Upton opens the door, get on the floor, everybody do the dinosaur.

Wow! I have a buddy that I used to think was full of schit - by comparison he doesn't hold a candle.
Originally Posted by eyeball
Yeah. I'm not saying the story is false, but I wouldn't recommend it for the associated risks.

Hi Eye-; I agree. Formd's is a good story teller at minimum but if all is true, and I'll take him at his word at this point, this is best done with a buddy, and minus that, a least sat phone. You know, so they find you before spring.
see, ya'll ran him off. way to go...
While I think that there is some exaggeration in a lot of the accounts of the story, I really don't thing Formid is making up stories about his hunt.

The only things I know about Formid are what I can glean from his posts here on the 'fire. Most of his input is thoughtful and accurate. I think he's a quality dude.

From what I can gather, and I hope he chimes in and either confirms or denies, this hunt may be his first elk hunt or any hunt in the Western US. I think he lives in the Southern US like Georgia or Tennessee. I'm guessing he was so excited about the hunt and adventure that he just went all out to kill an elk; any elk.

While the accounts he shares seem over-the-top to some and things that most of us would never put ourselves through to kill a raghorn bull, I bet Formid was so fired-up about being in Montana on an elk hunt that he thought he had to do what he had to do to get it done. smile

Well I will be glad when he continues with the story and it doesn't matter if its true or a lie, he keeps you setting on the edge of your chair.

Tim
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
While I think that there is some exaggeration in a lot of the accounts of the story, I really don't thing Formid is making up stories about his hunt.

The only things I know about Formid are what I can glean from his posts here on the 'fire. Most of his input is thoughtful and accurate. I think he's a quality dude.

From what I can gather, and I hope he chimes in and either confirms or denies, this hunt may be his first elk hunt or any hunt in the Western US. I think he lives in the Southern US like Georgia or Tennessee. I'm guessing he was so excited about the hunt and adventure that he just went all out to kill an elk; any elk.

While the accounts he shares seem over-the-top to some and things that most of us would never put ourselves through to kill a raghorn bull, I bet Formid was so fired-up about being in Montana on an elk hunt that he thought he had to do what he had to do to get it done. smile

Umm, maybe so. In any case, I'll hit the "quiet" button on the BS meter and patiently wait and hope, along with everyone else, for the rest of the story.

Snubbie - With as many injuries as you give yourself just field dressing your kills you wouldn't survive tagging along with Formid. By the way, how did you cut your knife hand too?

If Formid was through BUDS this hunt was probably fun, to him, and a learning adventure. I have shot enough elk to know what happens after you pull the trigger and then have a lot of meat to get back to the truck. I would have skipped the elk and went after that nice mule deer buck in the photo if the season was open. Formid does have photos so it must have happened! Deer like that are much rarer, at least on WY public land, and are much easier to pack out. I also learned a long time ago to bring a heavy duty garbage bag to put the wet boots inside your bag for the night. Frozen boots!!!, I would rather take a beating rather than wear frozen boots ever again. The pain is over quicker.
One of the best stories that's been on here in a long time and heaven forbid if some people that probably couldn't cross an empty room without getting hurt have to start chiming in.
Nearly fell off a cliff, covered roughly one mile of climb along with the down side of some of those ridges, all in an hour, climbed on top of a 7 foot tall rock to shoot, and randomly took off into the mountains a thousand miles from home with nobody in the world that knows exactly where he was at - Yep cal74, sounds like he knows his stuff. If this is all true, and I don't think it is, he's just damm lucky he has more luck than all the fools in the state put together. It's a good story, I'll give him that.
Agreed. True, false or embellished, it's a great read. If people are going to throw BS flags, they're going to be busier than most, between "safe dings" and sub moa rifles.

I too am ready for the next chapter. And would like a second story about Ms Upton.
Originally Posted by cal74
One of the best stories that's been on here in a long time and heaven forbid if some people that probably couldn't cross an empty room without getting hurt have to start chiming in.

+1
My left hand was both holding me on the rock and holding the forend of the rifle. My right foot was kind of hooked over the spine of the rock to the right, and both together made it rather stable.

He was facing to my right down the hill, and as I flicked the safety off out comes a rack straight behind him in the tree line. At first all I could see was a rack coming out of a ditch off the tree line because the other bull was blocking him, but it dwarfed the 5x. In my head I was screaming for the first bull to get out of the way. Finally the first bull took two or three steps forward and I had a clear view of the bigger bull. He was a 6x6 , and while I'm not a master scorer of elk, I've seen enough low 300 inch bulls to imeadiatley see he was big. He was facing me head on, my wobble zone was well inside the vitals and there wasn't a second thought in my mind; I put the reticle on the center of his chest, inline with the spine, took a deep breath, let it out and pressed the trigger. I saw the reticle lift off about two inches from center at the 10 o'clock before recoil nearly knocked me off the rock. I heard what sounded like the "thwack" of the bullet hitting tissue. By the time I pulled myself back into position, him and the 5x5 were running downhill and made it just into the tree line with again the smaller bull blocking the 6x6. I ranged it at 402 and all I could see was probably 6 inches of neck and his head above the back of the 5x. Bullets are cheap and my rule is that no matter what if they are on their feet or their head is up, I keep putting bullets in. I seriously contemplated shooting him in the head but didn't. They stood there for 10 or 15 seconds before dropping down in the ditch and going into the timber.

From the time peeked over the rock and I spotted them, to the shot felt like 5 seconds, but was in reality probably 20-25 seconds. It was hurried, but completely comfortable for me. Hurried but not rushed, if that makes sense.

I zeroed the turret, turned the power back down, and as I put my vest on and gathered my pack I snapped a picture to compare where he was standing at the shot, and where they went into the timber-
[Linked Image]

If you look basically dead center of the pic you'll see the pines in the background and a row of dead trees starting from center and going downhill. The bull was standing in the gap between the first dead tree on the left and the second.

It took a bit to get to where they went into the timber, and about 100 yards from the rock I noticed that the wind had picked up quite a bit. The whole way I replayed the shot in my mind. I knew that I had executed the shot well- I saw the crosshair lift off in recoil, the range was spot on and I heard the impact. But I also knew from having killed a lot of big game with that rifle/bullet combo, that at the angle of the shot that bull should have been laying in his tracks. As well he didn't act as if he was hit when he ran to the timber and I had watched him for almost twenty seconds just stand there. I found their tracks in the timber, but no blood. Took off my pack to mark it and went in. It was nearly dark however I had just enough light to see. I followed the tracks for 150 yards or so, most of it in the snow, when I bumped into them. They took off down towards the backside of the ridge which was a straight hellhole. Hoping he would stop before going over, I turned around and zig-zagged up and down, back out to my gear looking for blood checking to make sure that he didn't peel off from the others. It was dark by the time that I reached my pack, I found no signs of a hit, and I was smoked. I mean done. No energy and I was slightly dizzy. I marked the spot in my GPS, got out my emergency bag, and ate the snickers that was in it. My deal was that once that bag was opened for any reason, I was going out. What was left of my water/snow combination was frozen, with me only being able to get a slight sip. I packed up and took a round about route back down to the gear, trying to make it easier. My lower legs were so fatigued that it was hard to lock my feet straight flat and get the boot soles to "bite in" the ground so I kept slipping. Finally I reached the pack and made my way back out to the truck.

To be cont....
Get some!
Just a short commercial break, I hope.

Tim
Great story so far! I love your raw enthusiasm. Word of advise. Add toe warmers to your list.
Originally Posted by Phasmid
Snubbie - With as many injuries as you give yourself just field dressing your kills you wouldn't survive tagging along with Formid. By the way, how did you cut your knife hand too?

HA! Nope, I occasionally nick my finger when field dressing and butchering. I've about come to the conclusion, that's just the way it is. However, in that thread I posted, apparently there are some who never cut themselves...never. So I guess it's just me that occasionally nicks their finger. whistle

As far as surviving a tag along with Formid, it would be a non-issue. Assuming all this is true as told with no additional embellishment, I would not be in on this hunt. I can say while I'll endure some pretty extreme conditions (for me anyway) and a certain amount of risk and danger, I have no need to risk my life in a foolhardy fashion to kill an animal. I have a wife and a little girl that depend on me. When God decides my time is up, then it's up. Intentionally acting foolish and making bad decisions that can get you killed is not in my hunting repertoire and I have no need to "hurry along" the inevitable day of my departure from this world into the next! grin

Now, the day may come that I do indeed make a foolish mistake that costs me my life. I'll die happy doing what I love, but I won't willingly make that mistake.

IF this thread is true-to-life, then my hat's off to the young man for having all the LUCK in the world and getting out alive! Or more likely, God must have a greater plan for his life to have sustained him and made sure he survived this trip!

And besides, it HAS to be true or else it couldn't be on the internet for goodness sakes!

Sorry for my skepticism, please don't let it taint anyone's desire for this story as it has in no way diminished my desire to hear the rest nor has it dampened my intense interest and entertainment! The young man can tell a great story, that fact cannot be denied!

Oh, and I cut my finger on my knife hand wiping my blade with a paper towel. blush

edit to add: In fairness, I did some pretty stupid and dangerous things in my youth that could have gotten me or someone else killed, and darn near did a time or two. Only by the grace of God have I made it this far. It wasn't my brains and good looks! laugh So I really can't say too much to the younger crowd...and I'd be wasting my breath anyhow.
Holy shidt I been late coming to this and riveted to this thread...11 pages and I was sure Formid had been killed by page 5.

"Iron Man" is all I can say....if it ended here, great job and no apologies. wink

Well done!
Dang. He climbed up on the rock yesterday, and pulled the trigger today and we STILL don't know the outcome.

Finish the story dangit!
You've sure captured the attention of many young man. Well done.
Interesting read, the writers veracity being very nearly irrelevant.
It was after 9pm when I arrived and threw my gear in the back. I needed food, a hot shower and sleep. I drove into the closest town and had a pork chop at the only diner before they closed, then I drove almost an hour from there to the closet motel, rented a room, got a bunch of snacks out of a vending machine and ate them while I soaked in the tub.

I thought this was nice-
[Linked Image]

I slept hard that night. I had planned to get up bright and early to be at the base of the ridge at daylight to look for him, but that didn't happen. I woke up sometime around 9am and went to this awesome Garage and had a fantastic chili omelet-
[Linked Image]

They even frosted the milk mug!-
[Linked Image]

I had overheard some guys talking about guiding some dudes on a ranch and shooting a couple bulls while eating, and when I walked out-
[Linked Image]

I drove back up to the trailhead, stopping briefly to check the zero just in case, which was perfect, loaded the gear and took off. I still believed with the info I had that I had put a bullet in the bull. But between the last night and the drive back I knew that there was no way that I could keep up the energy to continue going that hard if I hadn't. I had crushed myself to make it to those bulls, and it could take days to get another shot. I also knew that if I had blown the elk out the day prior that I might would have to go to a completely different area and start all over. I made it to the spot by early afternoon and paused briefly at the rock just trying to improve the mental picture that I had. I again noticed that there was almost no wind. Maybe 1-2mph at most, coming from right to left up the slope. I looked over to the right down slope towards and slightly below the tree line and could see the grass moving pretty well. I noted this and continued over to the timber, and again about a hundred yards from the rock the wind was 12 to 15 mph, right to left. Made it to where he was standing at the shot and looked for twenty minutes or so. No blood, no hair. Down into the timber on their tracks going very slowly looking for blood, hair, anything, and glassing ahead as far as I could see through the trees trying not to bump him if he was still in there.

I had sneaked within 200 yards or so of the hellhole on the backside, slowly cruising up and down, while moving that direction in case he veered off, doing my best to not slip or cause rocks to come loose when boom: 50 yards ahead off something went down into it. Curse. I moved up to where he was bedded hoping to find sign. Nothing.

I walked 30 to 40 yards higher and started back to the meadow, repeating the up and down zig zag. Nothing. All signs were pointing to a miss. I went back to where he was standing looking in the trees that were behind him, trying to locate the bullet. I could find nothing in the pines, but it looked from the angle that if it hit the dead trees, it would be 15 or 20 feet up. Hands and knees I searched for sign, making ever widening circles around the point. Back to the timber and I repeated the hands and knees thing. Nada. Dropped 50 yards or so down and did the up and down routine. Same.

I sat down and started looking at the terrain. The wind was coming up the slope at a relatively steady 12-15 mph. There was a valley that met up with this ridge at the bottom forming a "T" and the wind was zipping through the valley and up the slope, while that slight depression and the fact that there was the other smaller ridge straight across was blocking the wind at the rock from where I shot. I walked back to the rock and sure enough the wind just died once you got to the hump going into the depression. An 8 or 10 mph wind would've blown the bullet completely off the bull.

It's called micro terrain and I know better. At the rock it was plain as day. All it would have taken is just a quick glance down slope. I would have seen there was some wind, and at the very least held right edge. I also could have waited for the bull to turn broadside and either got the back edge of his lungs and liver, or far forward into the front of his chest. The thing is that I take the first makable shot offered. Too many people do not capitalize on opportunities because they he-haw waiting for the perfect shot in the future, instead of taking the good shot that is presented now. It wasn't the range. The range itself is a chip shot. Wasn't the position. I put a bunch of rounds from really terrible positions at way longer ranges and I know what shots I am capable of consistently making. Wasn't because the shot was rushed. I take the time it takes to make the shot. No more, no less.

Instead it was the simple fact of me taking for granted that the wind was stable from me to the bull. It is the first time that wind has gotten me on a big game animal at any range. It has been my experience that extremely experienced, competent shooters while not missing often, usually do it on mid range 300-500 yard shots. Those ranges are close enough that quick shots can be taken, yet far enough where wind, angle and position will bite you if not taken into account. I kill a lot of animals every year, and it has been three years since my last miss. Oddly it was at 369 yards, though due to a bad position, being rushed, and a small patch of vitals to shoot at. I killed that buck with the second round.

To be cont....
So who's gonna call and order a pizza?
looks like Sparky's garage....i had that same omelet
I wonder if by killed a lot of animals each year with this rifle he means people ...
Originally Posted by Phasmid

If Formid was through BUDS this hunt was probably fun, to him, and a learning adventure. I have shot enough elk to know what happens after you pull the trigger and then have a lot of meat to get back to the truck. I would have skipped the elk and went after that nice mule deer buck in the photo if the season was open. Formid does have photos so it must have happened! Deer like that are much rarer, at least on WY public land, and are much easier to pack out. I also learned a long time ago to bring a heavy duty garbage bag to put the wet boots inside your bag for the night. Frozen boots!!!, I would rather take a beating rather than wear frozen boots ever again. The pain is over quicker.

+++ on all counts.
I walked up a bit to another set of rocks that gave me a better view of the slope I was on and the whole drainage proper, hoping the big guy would come back out, but knew that was unlikely. I started glassing hard and making a mental note of prevailing wind patterns- that wasn't going to get me again.

A few hours later a see some of my former buddies were back-

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

They were one the ridge where the big herd the first morning was and there was a bigger bull with them that I didn't get a picture of, but here was no chance that I would make it up there. Two days earlier and I would have tried it.

In total there were 36 that I counted before they fed over the ridge.

The day ended with this-
[Linked Image]

I picked my way down the slope on a small game trail that I found coming in, and walked down to the trail and back out. That knocked off nearly thirty minutes. I planned to come back to the same place the next day as there was quite a bit of sign and it offered a good view for the glass.

The next day I woke late and didn't get settled on the ridge until the sun was well up. I spent the day burning holes in every pocket, snow slide, and ridge that I could see. I moved into several different spots getting different angles on the drainage. I went up to the top and glassed from the backside down into the drainage that the hellhole ran into, and lo and behold spotted big boy moving through a narrow slide. He was non the worse for wear.

I knew that I could kill him. I also knew instantly that there was no way that I could get the meat out before it spoiled. Temperatures had risen into the high 40'd during the day, only into the mid 30's at night, and judged that it would take at least 3 more hours just to get into the drainage that he was in. I could see tracks tearing up the snow through the spotter. Just looking at it, the terrain around it, the wind blew up into the drainage from the main valley, the back was boarded by a 10.5k mountain, it just looked like a perfect place for a dude to hide out and get big. Not sure why he ever came out onto the slope I was on, but it was obvious that was his home area and as he headed further around the point out of view, I knew he wasn't coming out.

I glassed for a bit, but left him before I got an itchy trigger finger. I headed back down the point to the South West, picking apart the deep timber on the backside as I went. I made it down to where the West side of the ridge dropped off and looked up to the opposite ridge-

[Linked Image]

The one that I was on the first morning where I spotted the big herd from. Just right of center there are 5 or 6 elk. You can see a couple of dots just below the snow line. I took this just before I saw a bull follow them into the meadow from the ridge top. Through the binos I could see that he was legal. I threw the pack down, snatched out the spotter and set it in the shooting sticks. He wasn't nearly as big as the other bull, but he was the biggest that I had seen other than him. He had what I believe to be the spike with brow tines that I had seen two days prior with him as well. I checked my watch, and there was about 30 minutes of legal light left. The ridge down on my side was impassable. Pulling out the map showed that the ridge they were on didn't look makable from below either, and diffidently not in time. It was killing me. He was just on the far side of 900 yards. While the gun is capable of that, it is not the kind of shot I will take solo, without someone good on the glass. And truthfully I just didn't want to take one that far.

No matter how hard that I tried, I could see no way to get to them in time. So I just sat there for a few minutes watching as one by one the cows fed down to the left and then up and over the ridge, slipping out of view. Out of curiosity I pinged the lowest cow and it came back just over 800. Now the wheels started turning in my head. I started looking around. There was no wind where I was. Through the spotter I could see no wind where the elk were. I pointed the spotter to the right looking down the valley between us and the tree tops were dead still. I swung it to the left and the sun was still gleaming off the closest ridge showing the mirage boiling. I knew from earlier in the day that if there were any wind at all it should be coming from right to left down the valley but I could find nothing. There wasn't any micro terrain. It was a straight valley going up to a peak 2+ miles away. I made the decision that if the bull made it to a certain point lower than that cow was, and I had that warm fuzzy, I would kill him.

I laid down to check the position and found that I couldn't get enough angle on the gun as they were slightly above me, so I scooted the pack and rifle over to a group of rocks that were slightly higher and tried again. Now I could get the angle. Ran and grabbed the spotter setting it back up a couple feet away on the bull as he slowly fed down the ridge. I took off my gloves, balling them up and using them as a rear bag. Double checked to make sure the gun was clear, got into position, took a deep breath, let it, out closed my eyes, and opened checking my NPA. The reticle was still good and I dry fired on him. The reticle bounced slightly to the 2 o'clock. I used my toes to shift over a bit, corrected my grip in the gun, and tried again. That one was good. I repeated this a couple of times as he continued to feed down.

Finally he passed my predetermined point. I got the range, dialed it, checked for wind again, chambered a round, rechecked my NPA, he turned exactly the way that I wanted him to, I got the warm fuzzy, took two deep breaths letting the last one out to the natural respiratory pause, and pressed.....

To be cont.......
Originally Posted by cal74

I guess your right. I had to have a left handrail installed by the commode to keep from falling over from the right arm overload.
Originally Posted by Blaino
Great story so far! I love your raw enthusiasm. Word of advise. Add toe warmers to your list.

I just can't follow this without sinking spirits. He is three days into the back country, shoots a bull and can't find it and is out of food so just walks back to the truck that night after traveling two miles of extremely rough country with an hour and a half left until dark? What am I missing here?
Yes, only by the grace of God, Snubbie BTDT.
Ok. BS found his bull again. It would spoil? 40 in the day. YGBFK moi. Gut and skin and no meat loss in a month or two if its less than 30 at night. It can grow green on the outer crust and you can scrape it off with a knife. Hell, in those temps just gut and roll it over some branches for air circulation the first night. The meat temp will fall to the point you have a week or two to skin debone and pack it out
Eyeball can't believe it. He's wondering who put a corn feeder out in the middle of Montana to make the animals magically appear laugh

What a great write up! Thanks for the story, Formidable one. Looking forward to the next installment.
Formidilosus, if you're not, did you ever consider becoming a writer ? Riveting writing!!!!!!
The hook brings you back.
Ok. BS found his bull again. It would spoil? 40 in the day. YGBFK moi. Gut and skin and no meat loss in a month or two if its less than 30 at night. It can grow green on the outer crust and you can scrape it off with a knife. Hell, in those temps just gut and roll it over some branches for air circulation the first night. The meat temp will fall to the point you have a week or two to skin debone and pack it out

It doesn't sound as if you've tended to many elk before.

Tanner
Interesting! Keep it coming.

Tanner

No. But he did stay in a Holiday Inn once.

Tanner

He would have had at least several days to get it out. Quartered and hanging in the shade, the meat would have kept well... But you know that. Not sure why some are so intent on believing every word of this. There are guys out there that don't know any better that might attempt some of the dumb things this guy has described on a solo trip and they just might not be so lucky.
I was able to recover from the recoil, only losing the sight picture briefly, by the time the bullet had impacted. The bull was quartered slightly away, and it entered just behind the last rib, angling up into the liver and lungs. He took a couple quick steps and turned broadside. The next one was two inches behind the shoulder line. With that he dropped, laying down briefly before starting the kickin' chicken stumble for forty or fifty yards down the slope. By now he was only 30 yards or so from the drop off and still heading that way. I wanted to stop him so the next time he paused I put the final round in the center of his neck. He collapsed. His momentum carried him down hill, sliding until he got hung up in a deep patch of snow at the base of a tree.

I reloaded, and stayed on him for several minutes. Once satisfied that he was down for good, I marked my position in the GPS, broke out the map and compass and plotted where he should be. Looking at it I thought that I could drop back down the ridge, come in the valley from the left, and hopefully be able to pick my way up. If not I would have to come up over the backside which would probably take 4 or 5 hours.

I had left the main pack at my original glassing spot, so I swung by, loaded up, and ate a snack before following that goat trail down and out. It was after eight by the time I reached the valley (or I should say draw) going up below the elk. The bottom was extremely narrow and covered in basketball, to TV sized, rocks which they themselves were under a foot and a half of snow. At parts it was so narrow that I could almost touch both sides with my outstretched hands. I slowly made my way up, using the sticks to feel where it was stable enough to stand, but even with that I ate it. A bunch. I would step on what seemed like a flat spot and then slide off banging the snot out of my shins. Or the rocks would roll over. Or I would end up stepping between two rocks, trapping my foot.

By eleven it had reached the point of absurdity. I sat down, pulled out the map, plotted my position and looked. The temperature had dropped again. The "trail" was getting worse and I had hit blowdown central on top of it. I still had half a mile and 1,800 feet or so of elevation to get to the elk. Objectively I knew that if I kept going I would very likely be injured seriously. I also had to send an "ok" message out because the next day at 10am was my drop dead time and if I didn't they would call S&R. I mad the decision to pull out, swing around the ridge and come up the backside, dropping over the top.

I made it out to where I could get a signal, sent the all ok message, found where I wanted to start up the mountain and got a couple of hours of sleep. The next morning before light, I started up. While it was quite steep and a bit of a haul it was rather uneventful all the way in. Took just over 4 hours to reach him. When I got there his antlers were hung up in the tree. As soon as I pulled him free he started sliding. He slid maybe 10 or 15 yards and stopped. Carefully I maneuvered him onto a slight flat for the obligatory pictures and quartering.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That over I broke out the knives and went to work. No sooner did I get the head off and he started sliding. I held onto one of the legs and tried to dig my heels in. Nope. I was going with him. I let go and- "swoosh" there he goes over the lip. Noooo!!!

As quickly as I could I gathered everything up, cursing myself for not tying him off. Strapped the head to the pack and eased my way over to where he slid off. I could see the slide he made in the snow all the way down. I couldn't see him and it didn't look like I would be able to get down that way, so I marked the spot, and back up and over I went. Dropped the head and extra gear off, emptied the pack, and traded the rifle for a Glock. Once seeing the draw where I was the night before in daylight it was much easier going, and I made it where I should've been directly below him in half the time. It wasn't long as I went up before I found it, and I was able to just give him a slight nudge a couple of times and he slid in the snow all the way down. Once at the bottom I finished quartering him up, and laying the quarters in the snow, as I was worried about spoilage.

[Linked Image]

Some maybe more comfortable with how long an elk can last and still be good, I'm not. I've seen deer start to turn after only a few hours. Of course I've had some that had to be left overnight and were perfectly fine as well, but elk skin is way thicker than a deer's and they have way more meat to hold heat in.

Anyways It started getting dark by then so I built a-

[Linked Image]

And grilled a bit-
[Linked Image]

Afterwards I covered the meat in snow, packed up a quarter, the back straps, tenderloins and neck meat and out I went.

Arriving at the truck with trip number 2-
[Linked Image]

Number 3 and it had started to rain/snow/sleet-
[img]http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx87/Vereor1/image_zpsc7ab840b.jpg[/img]

The fourth and last trip was a wet, sloppy, freezing mess-
[img]http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx87/Vereor1/image_zpsd58646e3.jpg[/img]

With all the meat out, I packed up, dropped it off with a processor, and drove east for deer.

To be cont.....
Formid: Well done and you're to be commended for a lot of grit and hard work.. wink

Congratulations on a fine bull and a great hunt.You earned it,if it can ever be said that anyone has..

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for one of the best threads I have read on here.
Awesome job and I never doubted your story once. You worked hard and got it done and my hat goes off to you man. Great bull and great story line.
All these near Death occurrences and still has plenty of time for picture taking. Setting cameras up for "selfies" and documenting every miniscule happening takes a ton of work for a healthy dude, much less one who is starving and taxed physically to extremes crazy A strange world we live in now.

Formid is Super-Human grin

BTW, I wouldn't waste my money on a processor after leaving an animal ungutted and unskinnned over night. Interesting quarters with the hide still on them confused
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Formid: Well done and you're to be commended for a lot of grit and hard work.. wink

Congratulations on a fine bull and a great hunt.You earned it,if it can ever be said that anyone has..

Happy Thanksgiving and thanks for one of the best threads I have read on here.

A hearty second here! A very compelling write-up. One thing about a hunt like this--it's like a very bad headache; it feels so good when it's over! smile

BTW, I wouldn't waste my money on a processor after leaving an animal ungutted and unskinnned over night. Interesting quarters with the hide still on them confused

As cold as it was I would not worry that there was spoilage. In cold weather I've done it several times out of necessity, and all was just fine. I've also recovered animals at first light the the next morning in mild weather.
Awesome story man, thanks for taking the time to write it all out.

Congrats on the bull.
Congratulations on your elk!

Your physical and mental toughness is respectable +P.
Ditto and happy thanksgiving.

Jayco
What..... No corn feeders? No golf cart? Couldn't of happened! laugh

Awesome hunt, Form D! Excellent piece of writing as well!

Great story, have a Happy Thanksgiving.
Tim
Remind me never, ever to go hunting with you, Formid! Not even way back when when I thought I was pretty tough!

Great story but next time let a couple of Montana fellers know kinda the area of where you are going to be hunting just in case.
Congrats.
Good bull.
You be crazy. grin
Congrats on the elk and thanks for a well written story of the adventure.
Congratulations on the bull, clearly took some mental toughness. This thread must set some record for number of selfies.
All these near Death occurrences and still has plenty of time for picture taking. Setting cameras up for "selfies" and documenting every miniscule happening takes a ton of work for a healthy dude, much less one who is starving and taxed physically to extremes crazy A strange world we live in now.

Formid is Super-Human grin

Very good point about the "selfies". When I get tired, the first sacrifice is pic's.
Great story!
Wow. This was a fantastic read!. Thank you for taking the time.
Originally Posted by canoetrpr
Wow. This was a fantastic read!. Thank you for taking the time.

+1000 - thanks F.
Originally Posted by wageslave
Good bull.
You be crazy. grin

Yep, what he said... you be big crazy grin
Originally Posted by luv2safari

As cold as it was I would not worry that there was spoilage. In cold weather I've done it several times out of necessity, and all was just fine. I've also recovered animals at first light the the next morning in mild weather.

I've often quartered in the same way, skin on as it helps keep things clean...However not if i have to pack it over a few miles, i dont even take bones then, but i aint as tough as formid smile

About the only spoilage i'd be worried about that time of year would be the neck.
Very nice write-up. I enjoyed it very much! Thanks for posting!
Dayum - that was special.
Ive always felt best about the animals i have "earned" , you earned this one , no doubt. Good job.
Nice job, I enjoyed reading about your hunt, some will never get it, most of their elk hunting is done from the passenger side of the truck.
Congratulations on a great hunt.
Good going F, heck of a hunt and story, Thank you!
He ain't done yet, he's still go a deer tag...
He has to eat another Twix first......
This is like the antithesis of Emericus' hunting story.
Originally Posted by jryoung
This is like the antithesis of Emericus' hunting story.

grin
Very nice write-up. I enjoyed it very much! Thanks for posting!

+1.

I like how you kept us in suspense!
Congrats on an awesome bull, a stellar hardcore solo hunt that is oh so rewarding, and the best of luck to you hunting out east for a big mature buck.

Btw, you might have considered going back up after the one you photographed, 2 trophies from the same area going in blind folded would be pretty sweet if I may say.
I know this story is true, we ran into Formilidosis on our hunt. It is amazing how much high country you can see and how much snow you can have then not have. Dining out once in awhile makes it even better.

Who cares how much is true, it beats the hell out of most of the lies that have been told here for years...

Tanner

Tanner, its typically much warmer in archery elk season.

Who cares how much is true, it beats the hell out of most of the lies that have been told here for years...

^^This^^. Good read either way.
Mr. Formidilosus,
When you have time, tell us about your rifle/cartridge setup.
You are the man! I bow down to you.

Out with the deer hunt!!!

Tanner

40 in the day, twenty at night? Are you kidding me. I have hunted in colorado and mt. With guys who skin, quarter, hang in the shade and let it age under the crust it forms as it dries, that is, when it thaws enough in the day to do any aging.

Good aged beef may hang in 35 degrees for more than 3 weeks. If left in the mid twenties over night and kept in the shade in the day a quarter off an elk won't get over 38 in the day, and beef can be aged at that temp. For probably a week.
I know this story is true, we ran into Formilidosis on our hunt. It is amazing how much high country you can see and how much snow you can have then not have. Dining out once in awhile makes it even better.

LOL
I would enjoy it if all the initial naysayers of the story would please post up pics of their 2013 bulls. Thanks in advance!!
Originally Posted by SLM

Yup, quite a tale...
LMAO...looks like exceptional fair chase on public land to me. Congrats and thanks for the posts.

quote=dinkshooter]I would enjoy it if all the initial naysayers of the story would please post up pics of their 2013 bulls. Thanks in advance!! [/quote]
Yeah the story can't be bullshidt...nobody could look that beat up and raunchy without having earned it.. grin
Absolutely one of, if not the best, detailed hunting stories I've ever read/seen on the internet or in any hunting magazine going back to the 50's. Great details in the narrative, great, to the point photographs and first class analysis as to what happen, how it was dealt with and why. All in all, better than anything I've ever read.
You are, w/o the slightest doubt, in better physical condition than I have ever been in. But, even more important, you could tell when you were reaching your limit of exhaustion, or your ability to suffer from the effects of the weather and what to do about it. This, I suspect is the result of lots of training from Uncle Sugar's Trade School and lots of practice using that training.
Yes, I believe what you posted is true. You accurately described the effects of exhuation and what you did to deal with it. You accurately described the effects of the weather and how you dealt with that. I've been close enough to these conditions many times to recognize the description. And, no, I didn't deal with them as you did, but I have no doubt what you did worked for you.
I will say that very few of us could have done what you did. You certainly earned that bull. Too bad you missed the other one.
I was also impressed by how you analyzed your difficulties and failures to learn from them.
Again, first class job of posting. To the point where I'd call it the best I've ever seen. E
Formid: i may have missed it, what rifle/load was doing the work?

haters: dont hate on the hard-charger. its actually a good thing to push yourself physically ...
Excellent story, and good job on that elk.

Most of us did some crazy stuff for our first bull.

Hopefully most readers will pick up on the "don't try this at home" theme unless they really know themselves and their limits. I know several hunters with many elk under their belts who wouldn't have lasted into day 2 on a hunt like that. Hell, I don't think I'd have made it past SD.

Looks like you have a PLB of some sort. I'm a big fan myself. I've found they do wonders for bravery after a guy has a family at home.

sd

Originally Posted by muleshoe
Originally Posted by SLM

Yup, quite a tale...

^This^
It was a great story. As far as naysayers, regardless what anyone thinks, it has no bearing on the greatness of the story and how it was told. Whether any of us, some of us, or none of us have ever done this or gotten a bull ourselves this year, is irrelevant and does not add any veracity nor take away any from the story.
Having just done my own "out west" solo backpack hunt in October of 2012, I have the upmost respect for anyone who does it, as I'm sure anyone on here who has done backpack hunts solo would agree. And most, certainly not my trip, even begins to approach the extremity of this trip!

It doesn't matter what anyone thinks or believes, either way, it was obviously a great trip and told brilliantly and I agree, better than most of what I read or definitely see on TV!

My hat's off to the young man!
What an adventure! I couldn't wait for the next installment. Now I really can't wait to hear about the deer hunting! I'm thinkin that those who call BS on this story are maybe a bit more advance in years than Fromidilosis and are wishin they still had IT! Just sayin!
I'm guessing they didn't have it even when they were his age.
Originally Posted by cast10K

I never tell anyone that I am out of shape. I wouldn't want to give the false impression that I was ever IN shape! laugh
Hunt well done - Story well spun!

Thanks

Terry
Formid, you write very well and you no doubt are a "never quit" dedicated hunter.

Congratulations on your elk kill. Hope you got that Mule deer, too.

L.W.

I would say a few Al Qaedi and/or Taliban might have met the 72 virgins thanks to Mr. F.
I have a friend who is a fishing guide in CO, has been for 15 yrs or so. He is an excellent writer the best story teller I've ever heard. I enjoy nothing more than sitting around the campfire and listening to him weave a story. My wife asked before why I don't get mad at him, as she knows I despise a liar. I can't explain it--the truth doesn't matter, it's about entertainment. Sadly, I'm too linear in thought to tell a good tale, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying one.

Formidable, you are a good writer, that's a fact. Thanks for the story. It is easy to fill up on like my Turkey Day dinner with all of the fixings. My stories always end up like jerky that was cut a bit too thin.

Btw, I hunt on foot in wilderness every year, and every year I pack out elk. I've given dozens of elk a ride. I know what it takes. I will say I've found that elk respect a good effort, and I've been in on many kills while drenched in sweat.
Originally Posted by cast10K

I am more envious of the 4 weeks of free time. Haven't had that the last 3 decades. Thankfully still healthy and tough enough though hunt smarter than back in the day.
Excuse me while I go get a testosterone booster, so I can feel like a man again... Dude! Your hardcore. Thanks for sharing.
Formid, you've inspired me to start a diet and lose these extra 45 lb so that one day I can attempt something about 1/50th the hard-coreness.
Wow is about all I can think of to say.....WOW!
We still need the rifle dope.

laugh

I was waiting for the 'fought off a grizzly with my knife' installment. Maybe it's coming...
Great hunt so far...... do we need Paul Harvey for the rest of the story??

What happened with the mule deer tag?
Formidilosus: Congratulations on your Elk Hunt and the Elk harvest!
You have earned my praise and admiration.
I am 66 years old now and have had some Hunts long ago that would rival yours as you recounted it - although my toughest Hunts were for Mt. Goats!
The picture of the big Bulls all in the round (gutted but not quartered!) in the back of the truck indeed occurred in my home town - I saw that truck full of Elk there at Sparky's Garage Restaurant the day you photgraphed it.
Those Elk were killed not 3 miles from that restaurant on table flat ground out of a herd of over 1,200 Elk!
The Elk were loaded whole onto the flatbed truck with a front loader - so the "Hunters" did not get to enjoy the rewards of packing their meat on their backs like you did.
The Elk in question had been on that ranch for more than 75 days when those "Hunters" "made the grade" (paid!) to shoot them (tresspass fee is rumored here to be VERY substantial there!)!
The resulting fracas of stampeding Elk caused much fence damage and many Elk being shot from public roads as they ran near or across them!
The local Game Warden headed past my house with lights and siren in use (VERY unusual!) heading for this firing line/gauntlet situation where upon he wrote several citations and took MANY blood and DNA samples for further investigation.
Word is that the Game Warden wrote his next door neighbor a ticket for shooting from the burrow pit as the stampeding Elk ran past him.
Word had apparently leaked out in advance that a "Hunt" was going to happen on this ranch and many "Hunters" sat up their "hides" along public roads and at places they had no tresspass permissions, in anticipation of the stampede!
Sad situations those, compared to your true sporting accomplishment!
Those 1,200 Elk come out of their normal haunts (where you were Hunting!) and take refuge there each year now (since the Canadian Wolves were transplanted hereabouts)!
Again I commend your efforts and results.
I think I recognize one "skyline shot" in your story and I will keep that area confidential.
Again good on you and I hope you had some luck on the Deer portion of your Hunt.
If you are still in the area of that restaurant DON'T pay another night for a motel - call me at 406-683-6888 and stay for free at my place!
I hope your Deer Hunting was less precarious and difficult than your Elk "odyssey" was and am anxiously awaiting to here of it - win, lose or draw.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Varmitguy, appreciate the insight which gives this thread another very cool twist. It just keeps getting better!
...It just keeps getting better!

Everything is always better when VG adds his wisdom.
VG, There you go slurring Canada again.

Those are not Canadian wolves, they are grey wolves. The introduced grey wolves from Canada are now deceased. Your Montana wolves are now 100% USA born and bred AMERICAN grey wolves! (by the rules of your citizenship)

Get it right would you! smile
Good write up. Curious why everybody thinks it was such a hard hunt? Nobody has ever hunted in uncomfortable conditions before?
Wide range of climates in North America Calvin. While I wonder if I could handle a early deer hunt in California when it is 40C, I'm sure a lot of people can't comprehend hunting in the north when it is -40C. Extremes in weather and terrain are never fun, especially when you are not conditioned to them.
Originally Posted by AB2506
I'm sure a lot of people can't comprehend hunting in the north when it is -40C.

I can't imagine. It's bad enough hunting in -40 F... grin
I wonder how many people will get the significance of that Whttail.
I believe there is no significant difference. smile
AB2506: Take it as a slur if YOU wish but that DOES NOT change the fact that those Wolves were obtained from Canada and transplanted right into the midst of the northern Rocky Mountains Elk, Moose, Bighorn Sheep and Deer herds!
My main point was (is!) the Wolves were removed from the western United States some time back, for a reason, and the liberals (no SLUR intended for you canucks by the way!) went WAY out of their way to go up to Canada get some Candian Wolves and transport those Canadian Wolves to the "USA"!
IF the liberals would have wanted "American Wolves" to transplant into the Rocky Mountains those liberals could easily have gone to Minnesota and rounded a bunch of them up there!
But no, the word is they wanted the larger CANADIAN Wolves - the better to munch up our Elk and Moose with.
You are welcome to come get those Canadian Wolves if you want but you have to take ALL of them!
Thanks for nothing rmWf (and THAT is meant as a slur!)!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I think the poster here was probably trained at Benning in the arts and science of hitting things afar off.

For this hunt maybe he used a 300 win mag shooting the Amax and just maybe that is why he didn't collect on that 6x6.
That particular bullet is not as good as he thinks it is, on elk. He could have easily saw another 6x6 the next day.

I do know, I don't buy into this.

I knew that I could kill him. I also knew instantly that there was no way that I could get the meat out before it spoiled. Temperatures had risen into the high 40'd during the day, only into the mid 30's at night,

That meat could keep for days if he prepared it right.

Also why is he hauling out bones with the hide on? He's a BP hunter? Has he not heard of the gutless method most of us use?

I also don't buy into this.

An 8 or 10 mph wind would've blown the bullet completely off the bull.

I don't think so.....not on that shot at that distance. And then blame it on Micro-baloney.

I don't know, a 400 yard shot with a ten mph 90* crosswind at a head on elk would be just about off the elk if he aimed center of chest with most bullets. My 300 wm with pp partitions would have been off by 17+" and about the same low at that range.
I believe we have not gotten any rifle dope yet, have we?
I had a forty hour DRIVE ahead of me one time, but I was pumped to kill, though I had a whole month off. I drove near all night to get home (well, ten freaking hours anyway IIRC). Threw my chitt together, mounted a scope, went to the range and sighted it in. Checked it too, at near 500 yards.

I was pumped and not needing to rest for the remaining 30 hour drive so I took my bud out for a nice dinner at lunch. After a fine old time I had to head out on a 30 hour drive to hunt another state so I then went somewhere to pick up my out of state tags somewhere and headed out on my trip.

Oh, I got a few of shut eye on the way since I didn't have to worry about not having enough stuff for camping to fill the back of my little truck.

But I found a drift in a draw that was higher than my gaiters to step in and take a pic. I can travel in snow above my gaiters and my pants don't even get wet.......

To be cont.
Ya, there's about a dozen things in this story that don't jive...

Dog Hunter,

I'm betting you and eyeball are over 50, and have never been capable of anything near what has been described here. (I wasn't up to what's been described, but I was close once my mental ability caught up with my physical ability, and that was in my mid 30's - I did some wild things in the mountains)

Someone trained in the SAS or Seals would have no issues. His narrative and his reading of his own condition leads me to believe that he is may have some background along those lines.

YMMV
Regardless of whether every detail is exact, I enjoyed reading the story. I've learned to not doubt some people also. I have run a couple marathons and have witnessed people doing things I cannot dream of, so I'll press the 'I believe' button until proven otherwise. Some of the funny things like using precious water on hot coals, when there is snow everywhere, running through the mountains when the price of an injury is potentially very high, all point me to a certain group of people. Thanks for the story!
Originally Posted by MikeNZ
Dog Hunter,

I'm betting you and eyeball are over 50, and have never been capable of anything near what has been described here. (I wasn't up to what's been described, but I was close once my mental ability caught up with my physical ability, and that was in my mid 30's - I did some wild things in the mountains)

Someone trained in the SAS or Seals would have no issues. His narrative and his reading of his own condition leads me to believe that he is may have some background along those lines.

YMMV

Sweet [bleep] Jesus - Now he's a SEAL.
Somewhere early on someone mention "if he had been through BUDS" I didn't take time to go back and look but remember it!

If some folks would take time to click on his handle, then click "show users posts" then spend some time reading his posts they would see he knows what he is talking about with shooting at distance with some pretty fancy equipment!

Not saying every detail is absolutely spot on or not, but I wouldn't call the man a BS'er without proof!

Mike
I'm 34, and am not exactly out of shape. Pulled two elk out a few miles myself this year solo. Not 6 years ago I was running 3 miles under 18 minutes and doing 20 pullups (at sea level). While I likely can't do that anymore, I'm no stranger to covering 20 miles a day in elk country.

I'm not saying the story is absolutely false, just saying embellishment and exaggeration are afoot.
PS my sisters handle is "Formidableociousness".

Yeah, she's a biotch.
Great adventure and well written, congrats on a hard earned elk. I'm anxious to read about the rest of the hunt and whether or not you got a mule deer.
Like ready_on_the_right says, a peek back at form's old posts will reveal he has the background to pull this off. Unlike Take_A_Knee, he doesn't seem to feel the need to post his military background every third post, so it's easy to overlook. I'd say someone that spent 8 years as a duty slotted sniper in the Army (special forces or rangers maybe as well?), still appears pretty young from his pics, competes in 24-96 hour adventure races for fun, and teaches long range marksmenship for a living has the background to get this done.

From this thread:
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
I have a few 24-96 hour extreme adventure races behind me.

From a thread a few years old:

Most of my observations are from 8 years as a US military duty slotted sniper, owner and chief instructor of a firearms training company, 3-Gun and precision rifle tactical competitor, and a fanatical hunter.

I shot LR a bit when I first started shooting, but wasn't all that good at it. I simply didn't have the knowledge, coaching or equipment to be very consistent. I made a couple of longish shots on deer in the 4- 500 yard range, but I wasn't really setup to do it. When I finally bought a Leupold with target turrets and actually learned how to use them hits went WAY up. Then I bought a Burris with Ballistic plex reticle and thought I had found the holy grail. What could be easier then having specific aiming points for 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600 yards? Shooting on the range seemed to prove that the reticle was fast and accurate. The first couple of deer were in the 2-350 yard range and I smoked them rather easily. The first time I noticed a problem was on a deer that was moving through the brush on a hillside over 400 yards away. The rut was in full swing, and I could see the deer moving back and forth in the scrub brush but it was to thick for a shot. Finally he stopped in a small opening. I had a clear path to the vitals, but most of his head and stomach were partially obscured by the brush. I was shooting across the side of the steep hill I was on over to the hill he was on. The position I was shooting from and the fact that I had to "guess" where to hold the reticle because the range was between the nice laid out yardage markers and the gap was quite a bit bigger then the vitals, made me take way to much time trying to get everything lined up correctly. I killed that deer but it wasn't pretty, and several other instances with friends and excited situations on deer started making me rethink how great the BDC reticle was.

Soon after I had a custom rifle made up for extreme distance shooting that launched 30cal 220gr SMK's at over 3,300 fps. Combined with a scope that tracked consistently, hits out to almost 800 yards became routine. The 400 to 600 yard range just wasn't even a challenge anymore. I pretty much abandoned using BDC reticles, because hits were much better dialing. At this point I believed that one needed a 1,000 yard bench gun that weighed 25lbs and was chambered for cartridges that consumed 100gr of powder to reliably kill deer past 4 or 500 yards.

When I attended Sniper school I learned that rifles didn't have to weigh over 20 pounds with 34in long barrels to get good hits out to 700 yards or so. The instructors pushed using the reticle for your holds, stating that it was faster and "easier". And while I shot quite a bit using the reticle it was plain to see that dialing was significantly more accurate and consistent, especially in the wind. My spotter struggled on shooting tests until he finally relented and started dialing at which point he went from barely passing to smoking the courses. As far as speed went I was by far the fastest shooter to HIT targets in the class. When I finished the school I had shot over 3,000 rounds of 308win, 300WM, and 50BMG out to 1,900 yards. I could take my 12lb M24 in 7.62 and and make on demand head shots on E-types at 600m in calm conditions. It was by far the most consistent gun system I had ever used.

When I graduated it kicked my experimenting into overdrive. Over the next few years I learned that consistency day in and day out was the most important criteria in a rifle, no matter the range. Gradually I moved away from the big bench gun and back to 308's, 243's and 300WM's that were "normal" hunting rifles that could be carried and used from point blank out to 700 or so yards. Every once and a while I would shoot with or hunt with someone who was enamored with reticles, yet every time they shot better with my rifles and dialing.

Fast forward to the present and I have been teaching LR shooting classes for the last three years seeing dozens of hunters and shooters, both military and civilian, come through and shoot just about every gun and scope combination made. Last summer I shot or witnessed over 50,000 rounds go downrange, a good portion of it from hunting rifles. Having seen so many examples of the same shooter in the same conditions on the same day shoot much better dialing rather then holding, there is zero doubt in my mind that, excepting military applications, dialing is the way to go.

Most here don't believe Greenhorn backpacks into the middle of nowhere to kill the monster bulls he does, or that Scenarshooter puts in the massive amounts of field time he does to kill the big critters he does, etc. Just because I can't do it (and no, I couldn't do what form did right now) doesn't mean it can't be done. Do some research before automatically calling BS.

Disclaimer: I don't know form from Adam and had never read any of his posts until this adventure prompted me to go back and read some of his old stuff.
If the story is real, the Dude (and I mean it in the most John Wayne of definitions) nearly gets search & rescue called out on him while doing his best Bear Grylls impersonation jumping off a cliff, and uses most of his water to put out a fire in the snow. He likely gut shoots & loses an elk, - and is touted as some kind of hero. The story sounds clearly like he's pandering for sponsorship.

If the story is false or riddled with white lies, it's just as bad, as there are guys who will read this and think they can do this sort of thing with no consequences, and potentially die trying.
He has seen a lot of elk on public land in VG's backyard. The backyard VG's claims holds NO elk as they all have been chased to private land by wolves. Private land wolves are skeert to venture on.

VG should hunt with E.
If the story is real, the Dude (and I mean it in the most John Wayne of definitions) nearly gets search & rescue called out on him while doing his best Bear Grylls impersonation jumping off a cliff, and uses most of his water to put out a fire in the snow. He likely gut shoots & loses an elk, - and is touted as some kind of hero. The story sounds clearly like he's pandering for sponsorship.

If the story is false or riddled with white lies, it's just as bad, as there are guys who will read this and think they can do this sort of thing with no consequences, and potentially die trying.

My thoughts as well.
Gut shoot, from a chest shot?
"He was facing me head on, my wobble zone was well inside the vitals and there wasn't a second thought in my mind; I put the reticle on the center of his chest, inline with the spine, took a deep breath, let it out and pressed the trigger."

Hard to gut shoot elk when they are facing you, at least in Montana.
Well whatever. He heard the bullet hit, couldn't find it, jumped it later not far off by itself (a good sign it was hurt), and subsequently lost the elk.

Many, many elk have been wounded and lost, without producing a blood trail. Don't ask me how I know frown
Can Do attitude! way to go.
On the other hand, if the story is true, it shows that a positive attitude and being in shape go a long way towards success.

Though I'm in the "questionable story" camp.
,,,and young.
His handle is Latin for: causing dread, fear, terror. I don't think it was meant to apply to one's self.

Perry
Originally Posted by jds44

Most here don't believe Greenhorn backpacks into the middle of nowhere to kill the monster bulls he does, or that Scenarshooter puts in the massive amounts of field time he does to kill the big critters he does, etc. Just because I can't do it (and no, I couldn't do what form did right now) doesn't mean it can't be done. Do some research before automatically calling BS.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone question either of those guys. If you can't see a difference, then I feel sorry for you.
Originally Posted by ranger1

I don't think I've ever heard anyone question either of those guys. If you can't see a difference, then I feel sorry for you.

Yeah, I can see a big difference - GH and Scenar kill bigger critters and have a lot better pics, but Form is a much better writer than either. smile
I personally loved the story and pictures. Maybe the best read I have had since joining the campfire. Curious about the author and his experience, I went to user list and pulled up Formids prior posts. I find his contributions to threads and discussions to be very factual and to the point. He definitely has experience with long range shots, scopes, bullets, and cartridges.

After reading some 20 pages of posts, I am inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe there is some embellishment in the story....but I think all great sports writers possess that ability. I can't wait to read the outcome of his mule deer hunt. I'm betting others here can't wait as well.

Formidilosus rock on!!!
What hunter on the Fire does not embellish.

The "BIG" dry doe, the "BIG DEEP FORKY" that was so old he was headed down hill. The calf elk that was shot because it was "tender". The cow that was killed to "fill the freezer",and on and on.
Originally Posted by creasy

Precisely. For that matter, I doubt a magazine article or book has ever been written without a certain amout of "artistic license" being applied. Is the basic story correct and doable by someone with the right experience? I'm inclined to believe yes. Is every detail 100% accurate? Who cares. Is it a great read? Absolutely.
So now where is the rest of our story?
creasy,

The one I've always liked is "fat forkhorn." In my experience forkhorn nucks aren't fat, because they're too damn busy growing muscle and bone!
Or, I forgot my camera back at camp. (Iphone I think it was)

Or, my foot slipped and I shot him in the ass.
Creasy: Only a fool or an idiot would try to put words in another persons mouth!
Which are you?
I have never said (because that would be untrue!) that ALL the Elk have been chased onto private land around these parts - most have though and I stand by that contention!
Its just a sad fact anymore (since the transplantation of the Candian Wolves!), that this situation adversely effects many Hunts and Hunters.
Let alone outfitters and affiliated businesses.
So assess your stupid or idiotic statement and correct it if you are half a man!
By the way, this morning I went to pick up my processed game hamburger from G.O.'s Jerky Barn on Flynn Lane here near my home.
I observed 4 herds of Elk on my drive (10 miles round trip!) ALL were on private ranches one herd had 1,100 Elk the next had 100 Elk the next had 650 and the last had 550 Elk (yeah I counted them!) in it and this last herd was crossing Flynn Lane from one private ranch to the next doing considerable damage to both sets of fences!
WELL over 2,000 Elk seen in 15 minutes where 10-12 years ago NONE would have been seen!
What happened there creasy, to cause such a dramatic and drastic change in Elk habits and habitat?
The answer (IF you are smart enough to understand it?) is that 10 years ago the Wolves became VERY over-populated hereabouts and since have flushed most of the Elk out of their traditional fall/winter haunts in the foothills!
Deny that fact creasy and you are just proving my point - you are talking like an idiot!
Thanks for nothing rmWf!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
VG, these foolish words are yours from another thread. You don't suppose 11 weeks of hunting by guys had anything to do with those elk being pushed on to private do you?

"There is no Elk sign in and around the creek that starts at our spring - this is unusual also.
Our thoughts and conversations keep going back to the massive herd of Elk on that last ranch which is over 1,500' below and 8 air miles from our camp.
No Elk observed around the camp and no Moose either."

"Around here the Elk simply herd up in and stay on private ranches for the relative safety from Wolf attacks but they have done so in the recent past in late September."

What me to keep busting you up?

Sorry to the OP, didn't mean to highjack your thread.

Precisely. For that matter, I doubt a magazine article or book has ever been written without a certain amout of "artistic license" being applied. Is the basic story correct and doable by someone with the right experience? I'm inclined to believe yes. Is every detail 100% accurate? Who cares. Is it a great read? Absolutely.

Precisely the reason I despise 98% of hunting stories. Exaggeration and "artistic license" ruin the story for me, as I no longer know what parts to believe.
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

BINGO!

Although we all can agree there is no life guard in the gene pool. Just saying.
Originally Posted by Calvin
Good write up. Curious why everybody thinks it was such a hard hunt? Nobody has ever hunted in uncomfortable conditions before?

i found it to be a well written account, and a good descriptive read.

growing up reading the adventerous stories of the great descriptive writer russell annabel, it doesn't take long to wish for another story to digest. most everyone who read his material knew that he was a writer given to some hyperbole--it was unmistakable. nevertheless, it was supposedly said that "earnest hemingway considered annabel to be the greatest writer of outdoor adventures who had ever lived..." if it is actually true that he made that statement, it is quite a compliment, considering hemingway's talent. i enjoyed russell's writing alot, despite any of the obvious hyperbole. he could paint with words. one major purpose of writing is to "give someone the hint to go and see for yourself..."

growing up hunting, hiking, and climbing in this terrain--it is easy to see the situation in a different light than those who have made comments who have not experienced firsthand the rugged vastness of mountain wilderness hiking, climbing, and hunting.

as an example, i've left the vehicle at 2 am and climbed up several thousand feet through 10-12 inches of snow to arrive at a specific destination for ideal hunting--5 hours in. no big deal there. in better weather; summer & fall season conditions, my wife and i have gone in as far as eleven miles one way--with 6000 feet elevation gain on the route, in as little as 5 1/2 hours--and returning to the vehicle in just under 11 hours. we did a trip even more grueling than that, with her being 7 months pregnant, and a class 4 section along the route, and were back at the car in under 12 hours. no big deal there either. i would honestly consider us to be in less than "so-so" physical condition. one trip we did took us 8 hours one way--with 7000 feet elevation gain, and we ran into some yuppie punks dressed in light gear who passed us like we were standing still. at that point we were 7 hours in, and they had done that stretch in 2 hours and 15 minutes. to those that live here and do this, it is not superhuman stuff--just adventuresome hunting/hiking/climbing that takes some effort/work.

these comments are not made in any way to take away from Form's adventure--far from it, as he has what it takes--and to come here from half the continent away--not really knowing the terrain, etc., and take on this type of adventure "solo" is a very commendable skill/deed; and to captivate an audience with the writing of the tale is a great skill as well.

my comments are only given to put the adventure into some perspective for those who have never done this type of adventure.

to those of us who live, hunt, hike, and climb in this mountainous terrain it is usually easy to discern the occasional hyperbole contained within a written narrative in order to spice up a story and captivate an audience--allowing others to live the tale through the wonder of words...

congrats to you on bagging your elk, and experiencing a true montana hunting adventure in the mountains, and taking the time and effort to share your experience with all of us!
Remember when we did Crazy Peak back in the 80's?

7000 vertical?
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Remember when we did Crazy Peak back in the 80's?

7000 vertical?

yes, i think if i recall correctly it was 5 1/2 hours to the summit, with the cloud deck about 2000 feet below, and lightning flashing all around down below us.

awesome spectacle...
There's clearly ulterior motivation smile

Most of what bothers me are the photos (ok, and the super-human hike, slide, climb parts too).

To get those pictures, a guy has to purposely put himself in spots a normal dude would just walk around while hunting, yet formy finds it necessary to wade into waist-deep snow, break out his camera phone and take a "selfie". He also purposely sticks his boot in a pool of water and takes another even though the normal guy would just walk to either side of it where his feet aren't submerged.

Check out the pics of him packing out the meat, totally exhausted supposedly. Well, it seems he has time to set up the camera, set the self-timer, run back and pose for the shot....a couple of times.

Maybe I'm weird, but my priorities on a hunt are to actually hunt. On a hunt of this supposed difficulty, the last thing on my priority list would be to constantly take photos in all the difficult situations I encountered.

We live in a strange age. Limbaugh was talking about it the other day. Everyone wants their life to seem extraordinary. They all want their "15 minutes" even though they may not have truly accomplished anything of substance, ever. With all the social media like Facebook, Twitter and forums like this, people constantly "update" their whereabouts, what they are eating and the like.

What ever happened to simply going on a hunt, posting some pics of what you killed and talking about your rifle specs?

Or simply going on a hunt, bringing home some meat, and not bragging to anybody.
I say we tar and feather him.
rcamuglia, why does it matter to you if he took pics? Can't figure out why you're so concerned and apparently obsessed with the "selfie" term.
Or simply going on a hunt, bringing home some meat, and not bragging to anybody.

This is the "campfire" isn't it? Can we only ask questions in the hunting forums??? No more posting pics or hunt reports........or maybe you can give a hunt report, as long as its not better than mine.......
That would be just fine with me.
Personally, I'm glad he took the time to write it and I kept hitting refresh on my phone for a couple of days waiting for the next installment. To those that are bitching about the write up and that he didn't just post a pic of the elk and what rifle / load he used - DON'T READ IT. Some of us appreciate that he took the time to write it up. If you don't, MOVE ON. Can't see how it's all that complicated.
... apparently obsessed with the "selfie" term.

Just trying to stay "hip"
To those that are bitching ....DON'T READ IT. Some of us appreciate that he took the time to write it up. If you don't, MOVE ON. Can't see how it's all that complicated.

Worth repeating. This isn't a thread where the OP is seeking advise or info. There is no debate. This is a hunt report. If you don't like it, leave! Why cause a fuss?
Tall tales and pictures on an internet hunting forum?! That's just crazy stuff!

It's a story, enjoy, or close the book, you have a choice.
I have to wonder if what is really bothering a lot of folks is the sheer pluck and audacity and toughness of fella who on the spur of moment takes his skill sets, gets into his truck, drives 40 hrs to his destination picking up his gear and tags along the way and then records his experiences of taking a bull elk on a public land DIY hunt in extremely tough conditions.
I also have to think Formidilous stones may have rattled a few pebbles.........
JMHO
Exactly Blackdog! I think he started his trip from somewhere in the southeast, where a lot of guys start by loading up the C'mere Deer!?!^#! What Formid accomplished was extraordinary, compared to the number of animals I've seen shot from alfalfa fields and loaded whole into a ranchers flatbed.

I really have to wonder if the majority of Internet keyboard hunters have the cajones to even attempt that kind of DIY hunt. When I was younger and felt stronger, and more invincible, maybe so, but not at 61.

I respect what Formid accomplished, and have enjoyed him sharing it with the CF.
I appreciated the effort made in the write up and enjoyed the story. I could do without the pissing and moaning from the side lines.
Hey now, don't be knocking our C'Mere Deer!! That's hard work. And walking all the way to the treestand too. It could be a couple hundred yards!!
Originally Posted by lochsa
I could do without the pissing and moaning from the side lines.

no schit.......
Glad I did not get this kind of debate on my Yukon Gold post here a couple months ago. I enjoyed the write up though the story seemed extreme at times. I do appreciate the effort to make the post because I know the effort it takes from pictures in the field to PB to loads of typing. Like a good hunting tale with pictures to support it.
Some of you fellas are as dense as granite. Doing stupid things is one thing, writing about it on the internet and having a bunch of guys say that it was admirable is another. He wrote a great story, seemed to have a good time, and that's outstanding. Leaving on a trip all the way across the country and planning on the way is ill advised at best. Traversing dangerous ground at a rate of speed that conditions and your skill level won't allow is liable to get you killed or seriously injured. Shooting under conditions that are outside your skill set is a poor choice. These are just some highlights, there's more. I can't speak for everyone that hasn't been a fan, but I think that talking this debacle up as doing it right is a disservice to those that might like to try something similar.
Originally Posted by BCSteve
So now where is the rest of our story?

Getting, uh, formidulated? whistle smile
About 10% of the population of Bozeman did the same thing he did in this post, minus the drama.

Another 10% was out hunting powder on the Ridge, minus the drama.

Another 10% was getting on vertical ice in Hyalite, minus the drama.

The other 70% was at work so they could go do the aforementioned stuff later on.

Not to take away from the effort at all, it's just glaringly obvious that lots of people have no idea how many folks get it done in the mountains on a regular basis. Normal is relative, and normal in places like Bozeman/Cody/Jackson/Banff/etc. ain't the same...
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by lochsa
I could do without the pissing and moaning from the side lines.

no schit.......

This.
Some of you fellas are as dense as granite. Doing stupid things is one thing, writing about it on the internet and having a bunch of guys say that it was admirable is another. He wrote a great story, seemed to have a good time, and that's outstanding. Leaving on a trip all the way across the country and planning on the way is ill advised at best. Traversing dangerous ground at a rate of speed that conditions and your skill level won't allow is liable to get you killed or seriously injured. Shooting at a range outside your skill set and conditions is a poor choice. These are just some highlights, there's more. I can't speak for everyone that hasn't been a fan, but I think that talking this debacle up as doing it right is a disservice to those that might like to try something similar.

Shut your whiny gash!
Originally Posted by Higbean
Some of you fellas are as dense as granite. Doing stupid things is one thing, writing about it on the internet and having a bunch of guys say that it was admirable is another. He wrote a great story, seemed to have a good time, and that's outstanding. Leaving on a trip all the way across the country and planning on the way is ill advised at best. Traversing dangerous ground at a rate of speed that conditions and your skill level won't allow is liable to get you killed or seriously injured. Shooting at a range outside your skill set and conditions is a poor choice. These are just some highlights, there's more. I can't speak for everyone that hasn't been a fan, but I think that talking this debacle up as doing it right is a disservice to those that might like to try something similar.

Shut your whiny gash!

^^^^^ what Higbean said
How about I shove my boot up your whiny gash [bleep] homo? No whining there at all. If you weren't such a do nothing dumb [bleep] you would realize that. How about you continue to imagine that you have a clue and let the big boys talk?
Some of you fellas are as dense as granite. Doing stupid things is one thing, writing about it on the internet and having a bunch of guys say that it was admirable is another. He wrote a great story, seemed to have a good time, and that's outstanding. Leaving on a trip all the way across the country and planning on the way is ill advised at best. Traversing dangerous ground at a rate of speed that conditions and your skill level won't allow is liable to get you killed or seriously injured. Shooting under conditions that are outside your skill set is a poor choice. These are just some highlights, there's more. I can't speak for everyone that hasn't been a fan, but I think that talking this debacle up as doing it right is a disservice to those that might like to try something similar.

Jim had his cow allotment below eagle peak in colorado years ago before finally starving out working his cows on the weekend on the NF and working the mines out of Grand Junction through the week. He would visit and eat with my brother and me on occasion at our archery camp at the trail head at 10,300 ft.

After many years he had been the guy who found the remains of two different lost, frozen hunters the following spring. These guys had pushed it a little too hard in pursuing their ultimate quest of a bull elk trophy.

He found each the following springs of their last hunts after bringing his cattle in from the low country and repairing fence on the Nat. Forest in the Colorado high country.

He said each were found in the same manner and sitting on a hump, hands frozen over the muzzles of their rifles which stood upright from between their spread feet, chins resting in perpetuity on their glove clad hands, faces black as the ace of spades.

The second and last he found before he was starved out by small acreage and low cow allotment really kind of tempted him, he said, as his head was propped up over the muzzle of the most beautifully stocked Weatherby he had ever seen - a gun much more valuable that the old travel trailer he left in the mountains to stay in over the frigid weekends to oversee his cows and fix fence from on his weekends away from the mines.

He begged me and my brother to gut shoot any bruin we got a chance at with our bows as their population was outstripping that of the elk and deer and costing him several of his bovine herd every year.
Great read Form!!
How about I shove my boot up your whiny gash [bleep] homo? No whining there at all. If you weren't such a do nothing dumb [bleep] you would realize that. How about you continue to imagine that you have a clue and let the big boys talk?

You need to take your meds in the correct order....
You need to refrain from talking out of your azz.
I think its great he took pictures of his adventure no matter how beat down he was. I love looking at old hunting pictures of others so I make it a point to take as many pictures as I can so years down the road I can look back on them and enjoy and remember.
I love this thread.
Sorry it took so long...

Found something needed killing when I got back-

[Linked Image]

And then back to work.

Jesus tittie christ did some of you turn in your man cards....? "oh my god it was dangerous!". Really?

I was going to ignore it, however I have to admit to being a bit amused now...... So I'll try to address it once, and then move on.

Not quite sure what's so unbelievable?

That I drove 40+ hours one way?

It were a few miles-
[Linked Image]

That I went alone? Well I'm not afraid of my own shadow and I would rather do it solo than with dudes who are afraid of chipping a nail, or effort.

That I almost slid off a 60ft cliff? Yep, I slipped. Not quite a glamour moment.

That I busted tail down a big ridge, up and over a small ridge, and then up to some elk?

Unfortunately I didn't save the position where I spotted the three bulls and dropped off the finger, however here's the trail where I dropped my pack-
[Linked Image]

And here's where they went into the timber-
[Linked Image]

Sorry can't find a whole lot that is remarkable about that, half the guys I work with are in better mountain shape than I am, though it's safe to say that I don't work behind a desk, and I might just have some fitness.

That I missed a 374 yard shot? Well have to agree with you there.... I can't believe I 'effing missed it either.

That I was able to track the bull for quite a while through snow without a single drop of blood or strand of hair? Ya it's called a miss. SU, may want to recalibrate you ballistics program, and while you're at it check how wide an elk is head on..... Then maybe you could describe how you can gut shoot one looking at you....

That I was freaking tired and wanted food and sleep? Yep, called effort. And weakness.

That I found another bull and killed it? I went to MT to kill a bull. Not talk about how much fun I had, and oh well.... Maybe next year.

The only skin left on a quarter was the proof of sex.

The mud puddle picture wasn't a puddle, it was the trail and it was half raining/half sleeting, I was soaked and it was absurd. I like to remember moments like that.

Or maybe it's like RC said- the pictures? They were taken with a phone camera. They were taken and then texted as smack talk to buddies that couldn't make it when I got signal. Talking chit to friends is worth a whole heck of a lot of effort. RC, that's weak sauce. There is no ulterior motive. Dudes kept asking me to email/write the story to them, so I did. Was never intended for public consumption. However, seeing how I greatly enjoy reading about other's trips, I thought WTH....

RC, no this is not my first time out west. No, I wasn't all that excited. No, there was no embellishment. I did what it required to kill an elk. I didn't drive there for sightseeing.

The fact that some think this was so over the top, is truly sad. Theodore weeps for you.
Awesome.

Stick?
[Linked Image]
Seems like half these guys have never 'pushed' it before. But that's OK. Some [bleep] just can't operate without a safety net......and others can't leave the couch.
But to bitch,moan and call bullschit on those that can/do/done it, just to sound 'experienced' is really rich..
Seems like half these guys have never 'pushed' it before. But that's OK. Some [bleep] just can't operate without a safety net......and others can't leave the couch.
But to bitch,moan and call bullschit on those that can/do/done it, just to sound 'experienced' is really rich..

Agreed.

The funny thing is most of the guys on here saying the Dude made some mistakes ARE guys that have BT/DT. We can all use these stories as a learning tool if we realize that mistakes and [bleep] ups were made. Believe me, I've done some dumb schit in the hills too, and lived (so far) to tell about it.

The way I look at, I'm not going to give someone a pat on the back and tell them what a good job they did, when they nearly got themselves killed due to poor decision making. Best thing to do is learn from it, and move on.
+1 I'm sure Forma.... is a good guy. He's a good writer too, doesn't mean that this whole thing was done as it should have been. Rule #1 when leaving on a hunt is to plan your hunt and hunt your plan. I'm done with this - I just hope that anyone reading this in the future will realize that things weren't done as they should be.
I'm still wondering what parts of the story are so "unbelievable"? I'd hardly rate a solo hunt that involved a trail as risky. I know plenty who venture off alone with in much more rugged terrain and tougher conditions, and who hunt further than a days hike from the rig. (not to take anything away from the OP)
Anybody who hasn't screwed up in elk country, especially when they were under 40, probably didn't really want an elk.

Though here in Montana I know quite a few guys who've never killed an elk without being more than a few hundred yards from their pickup, if that. Though some of them still screwed up while getting the elk out....
Man, I musta missed rule#1 when I was in hunter-tyke skool. Been on a bunch, where I just took off and went. And, without alla todays gizmos and gadgets. But then, I've allus had an aversion to 'rules' and auth-or-i-tah......
Originally Posted by Hi_Vel
Originally Posted by Calvin

i found it to be a well written account, and a good descriptive read.

growing up reading the adventerous stories of the great descriptive writer russell annabel, it doesn't take long to wish for another story to digest. most everyone who read his material knew that he was a writer given to some hyperbole--it was unmistakable. nevertheless, it was supposedly said that "earnest hemingway considered annabel to be the greatest writer of outdoor adventures who had ever lived..." if it is actually true that he made that statement, it is quite a compliment, considering hemingway's talent. i enjoyed russell's writing alot, despite any of the obvious hyperbole. he could paint with words. one major purpose of writing is to "give someone the hint to go and see for yourself..."

growing up hunting, hiking, and climbing in this terrain--it is easy to see the situation in a different light than those who have made comments who have not experienced firsthand the rugged vastness of mountain wilderness hiking, climbing, and hunting.

as an example, i've left the vehicle at 2 am and climbed up several thousand feet through 10-12 inches of snow to arrive at a specific destination for ideal hunting--5 hours in. no big deal there. in better weather; summer & fall season conditions, my wife and i have gone in as far as eleven miles one way--with 6000 feet elevation gain on the route, in as little as 5 1/2 hours--and returning to the vehicle in just under 11 hours. we did a trip even more grueling than that, with her being 7 months pregnant, and a class 4 section along the route, and were back at the car in under 12 hours. no big deal there either. i would honestly consider us to be in less than "so-so" physical condition. one trip we did took us 8 hours one way--with 7000 feet elevation gain, and we ran into some yuppie punks dressed in light gear who passed us like we were standing still. at that point we were 7 hours in, and they had done that stretch in 2 hours and 15 minutes. to those that live here and do this, it is not superhuman stuff--just adventuresome hunting/hiking/climbing that takes some effort/work.

these comments are not made in any way to take away from Form's adventure--far from it, as he has what it takes--and to come here from half the continent away--not really knowing the terrain, etc., and take on this type of adventure "solo" is a very commendable skill/deed; and to captivate an audience with the writing of the tale is a great skill as well.

my comments are only given to put the adventure into some perspective for those who have never done this type of adventure.

to those of us who live, hunt, hike, and climb in this mountainous terrain it is usually easy to discern the occasional hyperbole contained within a written narrative in order to spice up a story and captivate an audience--allowing others to live the tale through the wonder of words...

congrats to you on bagging your elk, and experiencing a true montana hunting adventure in the mountains, and taking the time and effort to share your experience with all of us!

This!

I don't mind a bit of lettuce with a story either when it's well written--no offense intended to the OP. I wish I had taken the time for more photos during my hunts. Wish I was a better writer, too. I appreciate the effort expended, the results, and the time taken to put it out here for the masses to chew on, admire, and gripe about. I was looking forward to the muley hunt, but I guess that's not coming.
I just hope that anyone reading this in the future will realize that things weren't done as they should be.

maybe you should re-word that....

Something like, "as (ME, MYSELF, and 'I'), THINK they should be".......?
I'm done with this - I just hope that anyone reading this in the future will realize that I'm a whiny gash.

Hey, I fixed it for you.

Like I said, I think the staged pics are strange. If that's what you normally do then I understand. It's something that's not on my list of importance when I'm hunting. It's all I can do to concentrate on my hunt much less take pics at every instance.

Helluva nice deer BTW. Congrats!
Formidilosus: Enjoyed the prose ... the photos are a treat, as I rarely take enough (or any).

Well played ...

- - - Silver Bullet

168gr TSX ... launched just an "Einstein" below the Speed-o-light
Originally Posted by Higbean
I'm done with this - I just hope that anyone reading this in the future will realize that I'm a whiny gash.

Hey, I fixed it for you.

Pretty sure that anyone that has a clue can see where the gash is, he11 you would too if you'd look down and spread your fat thighs.
Disappointed the story has come to an end. I enjoyed it! It would make for a good read in a magazine too! For all the second guessing going on, I guess I look at it differently. Danger is relative to your ability to extract yourself from a situation, so it's a variable, not a constant in most cases. Some choose to be a little closer to that edge. It's called living. Decide for yourself what you would do differently. Personally can't wait to get back to the Rockies. Nice deer too! I really need to find some places I can hunt deer with a rifle here in VA. Oh, and it's nice to know I'm not alone in taking pictures of all sorts of random stuff for my own memories.

Thanks for sharing!
Man, I musta missed rule#1 when I was in hunter-tyke skool. Been on a bunch, where I just took off and went. And, without alla todays gizmos and gadgets. But then, I've allus had an aversion to 'rules' and auth-or-i-tah......

When I killed my first elk, I was all by myself. All I had with me was a rifle and a Buck 110 knife. No day pack, no topo maps, etc. I think that I may have had a compass in my pocket left over from my Boy Scout days, but can't really remember. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.
Great story. I was hoping you would kill a huge mule deer buck. I hope all the BS about your hunt will not stop you from posting your future adventures.

Perry
Originally Posted by PWN
Great story. I was hoping you would kill a huge mule deer buck. I hope all the BS about your hunt will not stop you from posting your future adventures.

Perry

DITTO...and my thanks to you! And especially ditto to ignoring all this BS about your hunt because I hope you will post your future adventures.
Unless I missed it thru all the arguing, what was his rifle setup?
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Anybody who hasn't screwed up in elk country, especially when they were under 40, probably didn't really want an elk.

Though here in Montana I know quite a few guys who've never killed an elk without being more than a few hundred yards from their pickup, if that. Though some of them still screwed up while getting the elk out....

Things I miss from the day. Time to hunt and unlimited energy. This was due to being young and no wife, job,kids or, mortgage and spending all my money on a good set of wheels and an elk rifle. Had lots of adventures out west and up north like many,many others here. Best advise I can give my kids is to spend your youth sowing oats and enjoy before life catches up to u.
Even back in the 70's it was possible to get severely lost, something very hard to do most places with phone coverage or a modern gps. Now we have sat phones and Spot systems.

Things I learned since then? Stop shooting moose on sheep hunts.

Hard to compare with Theodore.
Just saying
I think Form gets a lot of credibility just for not getting distracted and sticking with the story. It's pretty clear he doesn't care who believes him and who doesn't.

Well done regardless.
Form,

Top shelf hunt and story. Was truly enjoyed on my end and congrats on taking a nice bull. Now about that deer! I'm all ears man!
Originally Posted by PWN

Perry

+2. Thoroughly enjoyed reading.
Originally Posted by NTG
Originally Posted by PWN

Perry

DITTO...and my thanks to you! And especially ditto to ignoring all this BS about your hunt because I hope you will post your future adventures.

Big time +2!!

To borrow a great quote from another thread:

Originally Posted by George_in_SD
[Linked Image]
I thought it was a great thread and enjoyed reading it.

That said, I still only believe about half.

How come if we throw the BS flag we aren't allowed to comment?

I'm wondering about what prairie goat mentioned below. I agree, but I still don't think they were just mistakes. I will bet that some of those small mistakes led to experiences that were embellished through the story telling. And that's trying to be generous and giving the benefit of doubt.

The funny thing is most of the guys on here saying the Dude made some mistakes ARE guys that have BT/DT.

...the pictures? They were taken with a phone camera. They were taken and then texted as smack talk to buddies that couldn't make it when I got signal. Talking chit to friends is worth a whole heck of a lot of effort. RC, that's weak sauce. There is no ulterior motive. Dudes kept asking me to email/write the story to them, so I did. Was never intended for public consumption. However, seeing how I greatly enjoy reading about other's trips, I thought WTH....

The fact that some think this was so over the top, is truly sad. Theodore weeps for you.

Thanks for the story, the photos, and the "apology", Formidilosus. I for one enjoyed the tale.

As one who has undertaken mountain trips (hunting and nonhunting) that many on the 'Fire would consider foolhardy to an extreme, all I can say is when you're young, in great condition, and you know the true and tested limits of your abilities and your equipment, you can take on "projects" like this one that others would never begin to contemplate.

FWIW, taking pics for trash-talkin' your buddies is IMHO the loftiest purpose of the cellphone camera...
grin
Originally Posted by tangozulu

Even back in the 70's it was possible to get severely lost, something very hard to do most places with phone coverage or a modern gps. Now we have sat phones and Spot systems.

True dat!! When I recall some of the backcountry trips I took with nothing more than a map and compass (and sometimes not even a map) back in the day, I shake my head. GPS and sat phones are two generations ahead of what I used then. And no, I never got seriously lost... but I was confused a time or two and had to puzzle it out harder than I would've liked.

Originally Posted by tangozulu

Things I learned since then? Stop shooting moose on sheep hunts.

I learned early on that the old Canuck adage, "Nothing spoils a moose hunt faster than some damn fool shootin' a moose!!!" is very true.
I couldn't wait to kill something after I got my first digital camera and yes it was on the fire before the deer even got cold at the processors laugh

Mike
Formidilosis, I for one commend you. I think while you may have done some planning "on the fly", you seemed from your diary (ok, text) to approach things intelligently and it seemed you knew your limits as you went. Life isn't risk-free regardless of what a risk-adverse culture would like; nor is risk the same for everybody in the same circumstance. Physical ability, temperament, equipment and the knowledge to use it effectively are all on different locations on the Bell Curve for all of us.

For some, getting out of the truck and walking a mile would be as risky for them as "Form's Little Adventure" was for you.

While I've never been pressed physically to quite the point you accepted I can relate; before GPS, cell phones, etc, I enjoyed nights alone on timbered mountain slopes with a fire and a candy bar wondering how I could have gone wrong after vetoing my compass. But, it's remarkably quite, calm in the "black timber" after one has a fire and nourishment. Even almost comfortable in early fall.

Great effort and, really, your bull is a world class trophy, worth more in my eyes than any 400 + bull taken on a yellow-aspen hunt on a ranch hunt in NM. Not even in the same universe.

Thanks for the effort in the posting!

Edited to add: maybe with a few more years it will occur to you but one suggestion I would make for an "extreme" do-it-yourselfer, rental fees aside, is a sat phone. You know, for those you know, who care. smile
George, I second your commendation.
smile
I'd like to know what brand and model scope holds zero after a 60 foot drop (onto the rocks?)
Gotta agree with George and Doc I enjoyed Form's post a lot. Unless I'm mistaken his rifle is a Model 7 Remington SS Magnum in 300 SAUM or maybe 300 Wizzum.
Heck of an adventure
If I retained anything from reading Formid's past posts I would believe he was carrying some variation of .300 mag with either a SWFA SS, or a Night Force scope. He likes both for durability, tracking, and zero retention.
When I make a fire at night and leave my boots out in the rain and sleep out on a rough night and wake up and stuff is covered in a foot of snow the next morning I always put the boots on and make sure the fire is dead out before I go hunting too.

I hate when those campfires start forest fires in a foot of snow and mess up a good hunt.
When I make a fire at night and leave my boots out in the rain and sleep out on a rough night and wake up and stuff is covered in a foot of snow the next morning I always put the boots on and make sure the fire is dead out before I go hunting too.

I hate when those campfires start forest fires in a foot of snow and mess up a good hunt.

That post has once and for all proved that you are a [bleep] idiot.

As usual, you get congratulations?
Freaking unreal. Who heads out into blizzard conditions to overnight in snow with $7/ pr thin, un insulated leather gloves. I've been in too many situations when my fingers were too numb to feel anything or do anything with them. I was born, but it wasnt yesterday.

I too, know how far you can go in snow over gaiters in rough country without your pants above them getting wet.
Originally Posted by MikeNZ

That post has once and for all proved that you are a [bleep] idiot.

As usual, you get congratulations?

Huh? Isn't that what the OP did? Perhaps you best read his thread again.
IMHO, Formids posts here and elsewhere have left a breadcrumb trail of kernels of info that even Helen Keller could follow,
YMMV
consciously aware of my energy level, expenditure, and knowing how hard I could push and still recover at night. I could already feel a bit fatigued from the last 2.5 days, and I had an hour and a half to drop 2,600 feet or so to the valley floor down a very steep slide, go up and over two 1,500ft or so ridges, and across at least one rock slide, and then up 2k feet or so to get to them. I figured at least one creek crossing as well, but hopefully that would be frozen. I knew that if I made it, it would be a literal sprint and I would not be able to recover from

At this point in talking to myself is when my real personality kicked in and I sated out load- "there is no way you are going to let this bull mock you" . No matter what, I was ruining his day.

I started stripping clothes, put out the fire using half my water to soak it, broke down the spotter and was about to take off when it occurred to me that I might want to ensure that the bull had brow tines (brow tined unit). Out came the spotter again, and in a minute or so he silhouetted himself against a spruce and I could see that he was in fact legal. Packed it back up, snapped a wide view pic of the ridge they were on and my proposed path, and down I went.

Now at this point it gets truly stupid again. (OPs words)

To hunt sheep in high country you need to be able to cover 1500 ft vertical in an hour. Some, I guess can cover 2600 down, 1500 up, 1500 down (first ridge- one mile away),1500 up, 1500 down (second ridge -2 miles away) (as the crow flies), and 2000 up to get close when they have an hour and a half. So like 4-6 miles in rough, steep snow covered country to make by dark in 1 1/2 hours because some elk on a ridge 5 miles away were mocking him? Who was going to get them before the next am or pm? No hunters that far back in. Three more weeks to pull it off, right? Oh yeah, just for fun.
eyeball,

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, is it?
If eyeball dedicated as much time to hunting as he did to crying about this thread, he'd be in the Super Slam club.

Tanner
no schit......
If eyeball dedicated as much time to hunting as he did to crying about this thread, he'd be in the Super Slam club.

Tanner

Tell me that Tanner, when you get my age.

I'm not crying about this thread. I'm going back through it and using my head. God gave me a brain to use.
why don't you just keep it in your 'head' then? no need to junk up formids thread...
eyeball,

Reading comprehension isn't your strong suit, is it?

You are the one who said you had an hour and a half to go down 2600 feet, over two ridges of 1500 feet and up another ridge 2000 feet. You are the one who showed how steep the terrain was in a pic, not me.

When gramps brings in a little three year old kid with a burn in an eye that looks like it was made from a cigarette I start contemplating.

Someone has enough for a 500 yard rig and top class pack and hits the outback with gloves worse than nothing it makes me wonder.

I'm not saying you didn't do it. I'm saying it doesn't make sense.

PS I'm not the only one.

PS when you bivy out in the cold and rain, you can wrap your boots in your coat, crawl in your bag and have a pretty fair pillow if you place them sole down. Then they aren't full of ice in the am and are rather warm. If they make your coat damp its easily dried by climbing some steep stuf a while with it on.
JFC......
I only have one pair of gloves isn't that all y'all own?

You guys kill me, I live in the South and have like 8-10 pairs of gloves in various thicknesses and all you can hit on is a pair of leather work gloves?

Mike

My guess is eyeball has not spent much time outdoors here in the west.

ps- I'm not the only one.
I didn't read the details but it looks like a fun time. Should retitle the topic, Beast mode raghorn.
Creasy, I live in the west. I have killed moose in BC, deer in Montana and bow hunted there for elk unsuccessfully, hunted colorado probably 12 seasons archery elk, killed 2 cows and 2 bulls there with bow, while camped out and hunting with no guide. I have killed many deer in New Mexico with bow and muzzle loader.

Often I have camped by myself for 5-7 days at a time in the Sacramento mts south of Cloudcroft, and hunted the national forest or camped on land controlled by the Circle Cross ranch north of Timberon. Many years I have hunted alone 7-8 days from my solo camp on Stoner Mesa north of Delores. I quit when I got to the age I couldn't pack an elk out myself. I have killed many cow elk for meat on the Mescalaro Apache Reservation out of Ruidoso NM.

In the early Sept archery season I can't get an elk out for spoilage. From camp it takes an hour to get to Delores and normally a couple hours from elk to camp. Getting the packer east of town to get horses loaded and hauled up the mountain and then back in to the elk before dark, if it was killed that AM is almost impossible. If elk is killed in the PM then you have to get up early the next am and go to town and get horses. You can't make it back in to the elk till after lunch. This, along with the costs involved when my son has left home and he and his buds aren't having big dinners of venison has my freezer running over from the white tails or mule deer I kill in WEST Texas, central Texas, or East Texas.

When my brother and I used to hunt together north of Delores we would rent horses from there, until the owner got killed in the mountains by having one of his notorious green stock rear back and fall on him where his head hit a rock.

I have taken a couple of mulies with spreads over 30 in. While hunting by myself. One would have made Leatherstocking class I took with a muzzle loader from west of Chama.

I have passed on several mulies with near 30 in spreads since they had a white tail rack on one side and a back fork on the other. When I get out on a 25,000 to 100,000 acre ranch In west Texas by myself it I'm pretty much on my own.

I have spent many days hunting thousands of acres of BLM in south east NM with my GSP.

My time spent in the outdoors is rivaled by few. I figured two years ago I hunted DEER 30 days.

Normally, I am hunting something EVERY weekend from Sept (dove) to the last of March (coyote). Now, working every other week I hunt even more. After lunch to day I will go to McCamey to deer hunt, or to south of Ozona, or Sheffield, or to Amistad, though they are threatening to close I-20.

Unless I find a huge buck I won't shoot as I hunt for the challenge of finding a big buck. I can get does for the freezer in the late doe season in Jan.

Precisely because I have spent so much time hunting in frigid conditions is why I know not to spend time in semi- blizzards hunting in un insulated leather gloves.

I spent my summers as a kid growing up on my granddads farm and cattle operation in Polk County of east Texas or on my other grandads cattle operation in the coastal bend of Texas near ElCampo.
You've just passed bigsqueeze and ohkok in the bullshit catergory.

Congratulations?
It's a freaking miracle that Formid isn't dead. Next time hopefully he'll read this internet thread and learn from it.
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco

Congratulations?
how much you want to bet, Rancho?
Dude 30 days of deer, I am just getting warmed up. Here we have 6 weeks or archery, followed by 5 weeks of rifle. Archery whitetail from Labor day till Jan 15th. Just sayin you pegged the BS meter.

Texas isn't Montana,
Well, 17 pages and we don't know what the rifle dope was.

Congratulations?

Just going off your posting record, the only thing you've killed recently were keyboards and
bottles.

Congratulations?

Just going off your posting record, the only thing you've killed recently were keyboards and
bottles.

LOL!
You're welcome to come buy the house and look at the pics, hold the racks, talk to ranchers and friends, some of which are from Minnesota, and Oklahoma who would camp nearby or the rancher from colorado who held the cattle allotment at the upper end of Stoner Mesa and below Eagle Peak. I can get you the name of the guy East of Deloris who has packed elk out for us, if you wish.
You're welcome to come buy the house and look at the pics, hold the racks, talk to ranchers and friends, some of which are from Minnesota, and Oklahoma who would camp nearby or the rancher from colorado who held the cattle allotment at the upper end of Stoner Mesa and below Eagle Peak. I can get you the name of the guy East of Deloris who has packed elk out for us, if you wish.

Aren't you dead?
Rancho, you're young and tough. If you had a month off and Montana elk tags and were from God knows where would you throw a dart at the map, find someone who recs the same spot, drive all night (10 hours) to get home, through stuff together, sight your gun, take your bud to lunch, go SOMEWHERE ELSE and pick up your tags and head out for another 30 hour drive without sleeping at home?

Would you bivy out in the rain and leave your boots out to soak it up? I think you have an idea about how long it takes climbing steep chit in a foot of snow to get thin leather gloves soaked and worthless.
Dude 30 days of deer, I am just getting warmed up. Here we have 6 weeks or archery, followed by 5 weeks of rifle. Archery whitetail from Labor day till Jan 15th. Just sayin you pegged the BS meter.

Texas isn't Montana,

We have a month of archery -October. Then, regular rifle is about nov 4 to jan 6. Late doe lasts two more weeks. If ranches are involved with the state game management program they get to manage their own harvest on bucks and does up to feb. That means some ranches have rifle season from early Oct to Feb. that's 4 months.

Congratulations?

RL, you're barkin' up the wrong tree here. I've hunted with eyeball, and seen some of his horns collection, and he ain't a bullshitter. The man has done a LOT of hunting.

Just 'cause some of us old farts have been forced by age and circumstance to hunt a bit less ferociously nowadays than we used to don't mean we haven't BTDT.
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
I didn't read the details but it looks like a fun time. Should retitle the topic, Beast mode raghorn.

Laffin'

Remember our bear hunt in Wyoming three years ago?.....We were in "Mini-Beast Mode". When I grow up, I want to do a real Beast Mode hunt.
See any yotes out there?

Today was a day.. clear, and still only a light wind.
See any yotes out there?

Nailed one....too much wind up north to stay out all day. 40 below chill factor. They say 30 below tonight, but less wind.
After dropping the meat off I headed east to where I hoped to find an old beat up mule deer buck and shoot him in his bed. smile

I stopped and had a great meal at-
[Linked Image]

And arrived at a piece of BM property in time for a quick afternoon jaunt.

Not ten minutes in I had spotted 4 or 5 does feeding and then jumped this baby fork horn and a doe-
[Linked Image]

Be advised that if you think you're going to be cute and lay down to snap a picture... there are cactuses.... grin

Walked in around 1.5 miles and stayed till dark glassing. In total I think I think it was 15 or 20 deer that afternoon.

Hard to tell from the pic, but this was a pretty decent buck with good mass..... on private ground-

[Linked Image]

Headed back to the truck at dark. And so it went for the next five or six days. Walk in, in the morning and out at night sleeping in the truck.

One morning it snowed-

[Linked Image]

And as I snuck through a creek bottom I busted up 6 or 7 does and this 5x5-

[Linked Image]

This dummy didn't walk away like the does he walked towards me from about 100 yards to less than 60.

I saw quite a few 4x4's like this-

[Linked Image]

But nothing I wanted to smoke until the next to last day. Just made it to the only fence on the place when I spotted 10 or 12 does being chased out of a creek by a couple bucks. Those two were the same size little 4x4's I had been seeing, but probably 30 seconds later another buck came up out and I saw immediately that I would shoot him. All the bucks so far had been narrow and save for the one on private land, young. This one wasn't very tall but was quite a bit wider, had good mass and was older.

I ranged him at 450 something, and while he pushed off the other two bucks sat the rifle on a fence post and dialed the scope as the grass was too tall for prone. He paused briefly and while the reticles movement was within his chest, I just didn't like it. I figured that when he walked out onto the flat above the creek where the does were he would pause and give me a shot, so I quickly climbed over and got prone. As it were, when he came out he went straight to dogging the does and didn't stop at all until he was at almost 700 and partly hidden by grass. I wasn't taking that one and he pushed the chicks off onto the private land. Thought he might come back out later that day, but instead he just bedded down in the field with a doe and mocked me all afternoon.

Hunted the next morning and it went from 40 something degrees and sunny to single digits and blowing snow with nearly 50mph winds. Had planned to hunt one more day, but the weatherman called for a pretty decent snow storm. Saw one smaller buck, until the weather just drove me in.

With that I said goodby to Montana and headed back home.

I did stop at Cabelas and thought this was fitting.... grin

[img]http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx87/Vereor1/image_zpsbcb50f4b.jpg[/img]
See any yotes out there?

Nailed one....too much wind up north to stay out all day. 40 below chill factor. They say 30 below tonight, but less wind.

Pat, don't tell me you're getting soft in your old age......grin

And before half the members here throw another hissy fit that was a [bleep]' joke people.

Congratulations?

Why in the world would you call BS on Eyes post? Doesn't sound like BS to me.
See any yotes out there?

Pat, don't tell me you're getting soft in your old age......grin

And before half the members here throw another hissy fit that was a [bleep]' joke people.

I though about you this morning when I drove through WP.....one of these mornings I'll show up and help you feed.........then we'll shoot.

Got coffee?
You ventured down through the Rez?

Brave man...

If you drove out past the airport towards the bridge you drove right by the (cow)farm.

Coffee pot kicks on about 6!

If you drove out past the airport towards the bridge you drove right by the (cow)farm.

This bridge?

[Linked Image]

smile
That appears to be the one OSD, great pic!

That was a narrow old sucker, been closed for almost 20 years now I bet.

On the south side of the river about a 1/2 mile from the bridge sits a little bar/restaurant.

Great food and a true Montana crowd, mostly local farmers and ranchers.
I bet several people reading this thread have had a burger and beer inside the place.

Upstream a few miles earlier today.

[Linked Image]
Is it cold there?

Congratas on the bull Form.

Travis

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to stop by there next time I'm up your way.

Neat country for sure.

Just a bit cold right now by the looks of it...<grin>

Originally Posted by deflave
Is it cold there?

Travis

Only if you're a pusssy!

(just kidding, it's chilly)

Air is incredibly fresh and invigorating though, wakes you right up!

And zero flies, which is always nice.

OSD, it is a popular place!
Was out this afternoon in -4�sunshine, and no wind. Not too bad as long as you didn't get in the shade wink
Sunshine and no wind makes all the difference in the world.

The wind can go GFY.

To me the words "balmy" and "-18F" just don't go together somehow.

I know it gets worse, but wind or no wind, that's COLD!
Sunshine and no wind makes all the difference in the world.

The wind can go GFY.

What he said^^

20 below here right now......can't wait to get out there tomorrow!
Being away from the pickup when you start to get cold is a good motivator to keep moving.....grin

-20 degrees here right now. Wish I was on days off so I could go calling in the morning because the wind is finally letting up.
Laker, yeah hopefully the wind is decent now here for a few days.

I'm gonna try and walk the river tomorrow afternoon and check the ice. Cows have been watering on the river for month and now it's getting icy quick.

Have to walk to tanks now.
Just cold here though.

I wouldn't trade weather with the areas getting ice storms.

Chitty storm headed east.
I'm with you there, Sam. I have never minded the cold so much as ice. Far preferred Alberta/Saskatchewan/Montana winter weather to Wisconsin, even though Wisco is on average 20 degrees warmer.

And this winter we've had TWO ice storms down here in TX, go figure...
You guy's seeing the big lake freezing up yet? I'm itching to start popping some 10" holes in it grin
ya'll it's 77 degrees in MS whistle
Originally Posted by tipmover
You guy's seeing the big lake freezing up yet? I'm itching to start popping some 10" holes in it grin

You just simmer down!! LOL
Nice post, FD. I can tell you all about eating whole licenses. Done it six times now. E
I liked it. Motivated me to put on the running shoes! Waiting for the wife to drive me to Costco. Story and pics to follow.
Overall thoughts....

First off- it was a great trip. The people of Montana (SD, ND, and Wyoming the bit that I spent there) were fantastic. Simply aboveboard. The tags are expensive, comparatively speaking, but the long seasons make it worth it and the opportunity is there.

I think it was one week and three days from when I decided to do the trip, to when I was sitting in MT, and I didn't really get to plan until I was on the way. I didn't have a choice, but that was a bit rushed and I wouldn't recommend it in general. It's not that you need to plan for a year to make it happen, but a few weeks to a month would've been better. I keep a list of animals, where to find them, and the seasons for most states in case the opportunity arises on short notice. I maintain a relatively high level of fitness, am used to living out of a rucksack, have 95% of the gear needed either at my house or at work, am comfortable planning on the fly and that allowed me to go into this nearly blind without much issue.

Admittedly I am not a good elk hunter. I do not live where they live, I do not get to scout before season, it may be 4 or 5 years between elk hunts for me, and I've never hunted the same place twice. There is no doubt that guys who successfully stalk them in the timber year after year, or pop monsters by spot and stalk could teach me a metric ton about hunting them and every chance I get I STFU and take notes.

As to why I would drive a 90 hour round trip to shoot a dink bull.... Because I can. I want to know that I can throw a dart on the map and then successfully hunt whatever is there by my own skill level, knowledge and ability. Most don't understand that, but I have no desire to use a guide for anything, nor pay someone to hunt. Nothing against those who do, just not for me.

Gear.....

Rifle:

[Linked Image]

Winchester M70 in 300 WinMag
Manners carbon fiber SL stock
Nightforce 2.5-10x32mm Mildot reticle, Mil turrets, and zerostop

Not sure what the weight is, but that has always been down on the list of importance to me. Maintaining zero and tracking correctly no matter what is at the top.

I used the same ammo that I have used almost exclusively for 6 or 7 years in this gun: a 178gr Hornaday AMAX with 80gr of H1000 in Winchester brass. With that I have killed well over a hundred big game. I don't recommend it for elk, or even deer as it quite "splashy", however, it does the most damage and kills the quickest of any bullet that I have ever seen or used.... and I've use most of them. The only round that didn't exit on the bull was the quartering away shot. The other two did, leaving impressive wound channels.

Glass:

My binos were a pair of Bushnell Fusion 1600 BRF's. The rangefinder is great, but the glass.... sucks. It's usable, but has the most annoying blue tint to it. I may just be spoiled by Geovids and Vectors but to my eyes the glass is about on par with $200 binos. The Fusion 1 Mile versions are better, though I don't have enough time glassing with them to make a solid comparison.

I used a Leupold Mk4 12-40x60mm Spotting scope with Gen2 reticle and a Manfroto tripod. Glass is solid though not "eye-popping" on the level of a Hensoldt, Swarovski, Lieca, etc. But it is good and I never wanted for more other than it to be lighter. Tripod is heavier than I wanted. Might have to look at an Outdoorsmans.

Clothing:

For the pant base layer I used Ice breakers Merino wool pants (250 weight I think), and for the top I used the issued synthetic "waffle top" as I couldn't find the IB Merino top. Both worked as they should, which is to say great.

I broke a rule of the mountains..... I used cotton. Specifically Mountain Khaki canvas pants. They fit right and are durable. If it's really warm I prefer CP pants, but for cold to 60 degrees or so, the Mountain Khakis are tops. Of course if it"s going to be raining, or I'll be in an area where that's a concern I will use a soft shell pant, but in most of the west this late in the year you have the snow, but it's not a wet snow. At least not like it is in the east. I brought softshell top and bottoms as well as Goretex rain gear but never used them.

Boots were Asolo Fugitive GTX's. I had no blisters and only one or two hot spots the whole time. The Injinji toe socks and Smartwools helped with that tremendously.

Gaiters were REI brand and worked great.

Gloves were straight tight fitting leather work gloves with custom drop chart.....

[Linked Image]

I like the leather gloves as they let me "feel" well, are incredibly durable and just plain work. I probably have a pair of nearly every super duper glove made sitting in a box, and I still prefer them. For a glove that will actually protect your hands, I shoot best in these. I did carry Arctic Shield mittens in the pack, but rarely wore them until I headed East.

Note: don't throw leather gloves in the dryer..... grin

That's what I wore the vast majority of the time while moving. I can't stand to sweat preferring to start out cold, and maybe even stay a bit cool while hiking/climbing and then put on a good insulating layer once I stop. For this trip I used the ECWS "puff man" pants and jacket. They are heavier and bulkier than good down versions of the same, the only reasons I used them is because I left the down stuff at work.

This is not what I would recommend for others. Sticking to synthetics/wool is the best bet.

HPG Recon Chest Pack:

Freaking titties. Seriously one of the best pieces of kit I've used in a long time. I've uses it for just about everything since March. Work, hunting, running, you name it. I kept an emergency kit, lighter, map, compass, pen, knife, sharpener, headlamp, GPS, snacks, license, and extra ammo in it for the trip. Really dig that I could dump my pack and still have everything I need to survive most situations on me, out of the way.

Packs:

For the elk it was mostly a Mystery Ranch NICE 6500. Great durability, good carrying ability, the bag itself is well designed, I use the heck out of the detachable top lid, but it is HEAVY. Almost 11 pounds empty. Too heavy. I say this every time I use it, but just never get something else because it does work so well. This year a lighter pack is on the menu.

For most of the deer hunting I used a Badlands Superday pack because I wasn't staying out and it is a lot lighter then the MR. Of course had I shot a buck I would've had to go to the truck to the get the big pack.

A lighter 6,000+ CU pack is on the short list.

Sleeping system:

Bag is a Marmont 0 degree down bag that I've been using for three years or so, not sure of the model but it's one of their "good" ones. I sleep cold, and this bag has been awesome. Not once have I woke from being cold at night, although the coldest was around -8 degrees. It is narrow, and I noticed it on this trip. Not sure if it bothers me enough to replace it.

The bivy was a Kelty Goretex version. It worked fine but the zippers are opposite of the sleeping bag. The bag has left side zippers and the bivy's on the right. That DID annoy me.

Misc...:

Stony Point, Polecat I think, shooting sticks/tripod. This was my walking stick and rest for standing/sitting/kneeling if needed. Works fine for shooting, and helped tremendously with walking but a good set of hiking poles will be going next time. Actually probably the #1 item to get.

I have used the same Buck Vanguard knife since I was a teenager. It's heavy and doesn't hold an edge all that great. That stayed in the pack. I had a simple Cold Steel stainless steel knife in the chest pack. It's really light, and I've used it a bunch. Also picked up an Outdoor Edge folding knife with replaceable blades. We'll see, but still on the first blade after caping out the bull, and field dressing three deer, including ripping through the sternum.

GPS was a Garmin Foretrex 301. Simple and light. However next time I will take a more full featured one, to use the mapping software.

One of the most used items on the trip was my phone. I used it as a GPS, used it for mapping with HUNT by OnX, as a camera and as a ballistics calculator, among other things. It's nice that there are truly waterproof/dustproof cases for them now.

HUNT by OnX is an SD card or app for phones that shows you all the land detail- topo, aerial, GMU's, land ownership, etc. Really useful, but at least where I hunted elk it needs to be on a GPS not a cell phone as I had NO service most of the time.

You can download and cache the maps ahead of time and just work off the GPS in the phone.

I used the app for my iPhone this year and liked it quite a bit more than my garmin with the chip.
Thanks for posting. Great read.

I feel bad for the second guessing and sniping you're taking, and it is a reason I don't post much about my hunts on the campfire anymore. Anything you post can and will be parsed for details to criticize.

A few of the details you did are not the way I would do them, now, laugh mostly because I did them when closer to your age... and decided not to do that again! That's life. Good for you for living it and doing it and dancing it like nobody is watching.

I feel bad for the second guessing and sniping you're taking, and it is a reason I don't post much about my hunts on the campfire anymore. Anything you post can and will be parsed for details to criticize.

You got that right...To many chiefs and not enough indians.

Jayco
Formidilosus,
Thanks for the epilogue. While admittedly not the top of line in every category, it shows that some concessions can be made and still have success. We don't always need the best of the best and its probably impractical anyway.

But something else struck me that I hadn't considered. Up there in one paragraph "F" said he did the trip, driving 90 hours, becaue "I can". He could put a dart on a map, buy a license, get there and hunt. That, readers, is a testament to the freedom we still have. That a well motivated indiviual can drive hundreds of miles and hunt public land on a "diy" basis is something we better make damn sure isn't taken away.
Mr. F. embodies a spirit that continues to make this a great Country in spite of who occupies the seat of power.
Formid-
How long do these things take to get used too?
[Linked Image]

In alot of ways your gear list is very similar to mine, except I don't opt for cotton pants. Not alot is "top shelf" but will work. My problem for acquiring better gear is that I usually spend my squirreled away money on somthing that comes up for the kids and/or a hunt. I have hunting ADD... wink

Well done and thanks for the write up. Sure beats what I did during that same time.

Originally Posted by bigwhoop
But something else struck me that I hadn't considered. Up there in one paragraph "F" said he did the trip, driving 90 hours, becaue "I can". He could put a dart on a map, buy a license, get there and hunt. That, readers, is a testament to the freedom we still have. That a well motivated indiviual can drive hundreds of miles and hunt public land on a "diy" basis is something we better make damn sure isn't taken away.
Mr. F. embodies a spirit that continues to make this a great Country in spite of who occupies the seat of power.
Agreed!! Well said and timely. Not only do we have that ability still in this country, Formid has been smart in his life's decisions to still allow him to do so.
Thoroughly enjoyed the hunt accounts and the epilogue. Thanks for taking the time to post!
Originally Posted by pointer
Formid-
How long do these things take to get used too?
[Linked Image]

About 30 seconds. grin....

I've been doing the barefoot/minimal/Five Finger thing for 7 or 8 years so it wasn't a problem. I have heard buddies whine for a day or two and then they seem to get used to them and won't give them up.

When it comes to gear, I've no shortage. I have boxes and boxes of the latest and greatest outdoor wear. I wore what I find to be most functional in that environment. It don't always match the Sitka/Kuiu/Arcteryx mold. Usually when someone is decked out, head to toe, in a particular "fashion gear" they are either sponsored or they don't kill much.

Scenarshooter mentioned his and Kurt's bear hunt; as I recall he wore jeans..........

Got a question on the rifle I used for deer.

[Linked Image]

It's one of my match guns: a Tikka Master Sporter chambered in 243Win with 115gr DTACs. I carried that after the deer as it was great for the country I was hunting. A bit heavy but it is a hammer.

[Linked Image]
FormD, sweet fence post and rifle pic.

No offense but I would be thinking WTF if I saw that out in the hills!

That is deer sniper stuff.

Get a 7lb 270 WCF w/6x36LR, try and get within' 400 yards.

It's fun.
No offense taken at all. I generally stick as many with an arrow a year as I do with bullets. Have/had quite a few 7lb rifles with Leupy 6x's, though not a 270, and I dig the notion. Mainly I used it and not this-

[Linked Image]

Because I wanted to clobber one more with it before it got tore down and rebuilt.

A new rifle is in the works for next time... and it'll be a lot closer to 7lbs....
Best thing in all your gear list: your custom drop chart. Classic. All this time, I thought my masking tape on the stock was way custom grin

I'll echo sentiments on your gear selection with regards to concessions - there ain't any 'perfect gear'; everything has trade-offs. Interesting thoughts on the socks. I'm prone to blisters between toes on my left foot due to a crooked big toe. They usually take a few days to develop and a bandaid fixes the issue but will investigate the socks.

Also agree with your observation on fashionable hunters.

I'll hand it to you. I was a bit skeptical of the exploit you outlined. I've not done the solo backpack thing but routinely get 5-6 miles from my starting point while elk hunting. It opens another world but also must be cognizant of getting an elk out in a timely manner. I've gone to working with local folks and renting a horse for a day or two to retrieve far flung elk. It beats heck out of 3-4, 5-10 mile round trips. Best $200 ever spent.

Curious how you maintain a high level of fitness. I've missed a bunch of workouts since hunting seasons arrived and am designing a new workout schedule. Its alot easier to simply stay in shape than to get back into shape.
Ha! I'm sure I could get used to them, but I bet that first "30 sec" would drive me nutty having something between my toes.
Ha! I'm sure I could get used to them, but I bet that first "30 sec" would drive me nutty having something between my toes.

+1 We'll see.

[Linked Image]

Model Seven, right? What mounts are those? Steel or aluminum? I'm trying to cut weight on a Seven that currently wears a Leupold one-piece base, and I don't think Talley makes a mount for a three-hole Seven.
Leupold doesn't make one, that's true. What you can do is have a 4th hole drilled for two piece mounts. Then you can use light rings on mounts like Gentry's, etc. E
Originally Posted by bwinters

Curious how you maintain a high level of fitness. I've missed a bunch of workouts since hunting seasons arrived and am designing a new workout schedule. Its alot easier to simply stay in shape than to get back into shape.

That's very true. One of the best things one can do is to not allow themselves to fall too far out. It also differs by person. A Clydesdale is probably going to hurt himself trying to be a Gazelle. Having said that, someone that looks like a malnurished african runner (speaking to you endurance people) is no more uaeful and probably less so in real life than a guy who is hugely muscular but can't maintain effort for more than 30 seconds. You need both forms for hunting, with a bit biased on the strength/sprint side.

As important to working out is food. This is where the vast majority struggle. There is so much BS on what to eat its not even funny. It's actually very simple; lots of protein, lots of vegetables, little carbs, and no sugar. If you are overweight or doing lots of endurance events (marathons) you will need to tweak that a bit- i.e. if your running for 2-3 hours a day, you will probably need more carbs than if you're not.

My workouts depend on what I'm doing or preparing to do however, strength is the basis of true fitness. I don't mean Arnold or fat power lifter, but pure lean strength (lifting heavy things). Followed by sprints (repetitive all out effort with short breaks between), rucking (hiking) and then a base level of running endurance.

Honestly I really don't love working out. And I might take a few weeks to a month off every once and a while. But I am required to maintain fitness. Below are my standards for what I do. Some are required, and some are my own, but I do not let myself fall below these-

185lb bench press- 20 reps
185lb back squat- 20 reps
225lb deadlift- 25 reps
Strict pull-ups- 18 reps
400m sprint- sub 60 seconds
5 mile run- 40 minutes
12 mile ruck with 72lbs- sub 3 hours

How someone works out will depend on their goals, body size, past injuries, etc.

Originally Posted by JRaw
[quote=Formidilosus]

Model Seven, right? What mounts are those? Steel or aluminum? I'm trying to cut weight on a Seven that currently wears a Leupold one-piece base, and I don't think Talley makes a mount for a three-hole Seven.

Model 7 S/S in 243win. DNZ mounts. If you don't want to do as E suggested and get the fourth hole put in, the DNZ's or a One piece pic rail is your huckleberry. If you do get it drilled/tapped for the extra hole.... The DNZ or Pic is still the way to go IME.
E,

I had hoped to make it by and have some coffee with you, but by the time I was finished you were already heading out. I enjoyed your hunt thread and if I make it up there next year I will stop by before I start hunting.
Agree on most of your statements concerning body type and food. Pure simple carbs really have no place in anyone's diet except as energy suppliers when major exertion is occurring. Shied away from simple carbs alot of years ago. That simple fact would save alot of people from carrying around that extra 15-20 lbs.

Your exercise regimen is similar to my own philosophy and your criteria are in the ballpark to what I do; except the runs. I'm not running 12 miles for any reason grin

Thanks for taking the time to post.

+1 We'll see.
I got some headed this way as well.

225lb deadlift- 25 reps
Strict pull-ups- 18 reps
5 mile run- 40 minutes

How someone works out will depend on their goals, body size, past injuries, etc.

I like that minimum list and agree with your idea of fitness. Now I just have to work on getting to that minimum! Some I know I can do, other's will take quite a bit of work on my part. I'm more pig than Clydesdale or gazelle... wink
FormD, you are so far above my level of conditioning it isn't even funny. But, then again, you aren't within a few months of turing 70 either.
If I get back there next season, your on. Coffee and homemade pie on me.
You are quite right that there is alot of bad information about food out there. The University of California at Berkeley has put out a news letter called the Wellness Letter for something like 20 yrs. for just that reason.
You are quite right about simple carbs and sugars. But dead wrong when it comes to complex carbs. Not to say you can't use proteins for energy, odviously you can. But it works a whole lot better if you follow the Federal Food Guidelines. E
interesting all of the comments on food for these types of adventures--no doubt a good diet is of utmost importance, no matter what you do.

but, the thing that confounds me is this;

the world renowned climber Alex Lowe--(he lived just a mile from my house, and my son and his son were classmates and friends).

the guy who did the utmost "impossible feats" in world class climbing--and would train doing 400 pull-ups, or 50 with just one arm. "superman", "the mutant", "the lung with legs", "the white knight", etc., were his nick-names. you know, incredible climbing feats like trango tower, great sail peak, rakenkniven, etc...

once, he and scenar were working out, and Pat said that Alex reached up and grabbed the 2x8 joists above him with his thumb and fingers, and began doing pull-ups by simply pinching the joists between his thumb and fingers.

while i don't know what his primary diet on climbing trips was--what confounds me is that the guy was very heavily fueled by expresso coffee...
Neat story Hi_Vel!

It always seemed to me like there are some guys out there who are simply on another level.

I worked on a fire crew with a guy who half assed worked out, and was powered by a combination of Mountain Dew, Jack Daniels, and hate. He often forgot a lunch, and rat [bleep] an MRE or ate candy bars for lunch. Ate bar pizza for supper. Despite all of this, he simply stomped everyone he met athletically. We did a hike up a mountain for PT one time with saws and full kit. Many of the crew dropped out. I puked at the end. This guy not only completed the hike easily, he did so while chain smoking cigarettes the entire hike, wafting the smoke back over his shoulder to give the rest of the crew lungs full of cigarette smoke.

I'm not saying he couldn't have been in better shape had he foregone some of his less healthy habits, but it just goes to show that some guys are animals. I've been around a few of these guys.....interestingly enough, several went SF.

Formid, thanks for the gear inventory. I have to agree about the Bushnell Fusions. I simply could not abide the "blue glass" even though the LRF component seemed very good. They went down the road.. I finally broke down with some 15x56 Geovids and have not "looked back"..Pun intended. grin

That's very true. One of the best things one can do is to not allow themselves to fall too far out. It also differs by person. A Clydesdale is probably going to hurt himself trying to be a Gazelle. Having said that, someone that looks like a malnurished african runner (speaking to you endurance people) is no more uaeful and probably less so in real life than a guy who is hugely muscular but can't maintain effort for more than 30 seconds. You need both forms for hunting, with a bit biased on the strength/sprint side.

As important to working out is food. This is where the vast majority struggle. There is so much BS on what to eat its not even funny. It's actually very simple; lots of protein, lots of vegetables, little carbs, and no sugar. If you are overweight or doing lots of endurance events (marathons) you will need to tweak that a bit- i.e. if your running for 2-3 hours a day, you will probably need more carbs than if you're not.

My workouts depend on what I'm doing or preparing to do however, strength is the basis of true fitness. I don't mean Arnold or fat power lifter, but pure lean strength (lifting heavy things). Followed by sprints (repetitive all out effort with short breaks between), rucking (hiking) and then a base level of running endurance.

Honestly I really don't love working out. And I might take a few weeks to a month off every once and a while. But I am required to maintain fitness. Below are my standards for what I do. Some are required, and some are my own, but I do not let myself fall below these-

225lb deadlift- 25 reps
Strict pull-ups- 18 reps
5 mile run- 40 minutes

Damn, reminds me of a youth we mentored in shooting that was training for Delta at the time. Flat amazing to me anyway.
Form,

you surely possess significant talent/ability for writing about your adventures--in effect, "painting with words"...

any person who can generate 32,000 views in 15 days has really accomplished something of significance here.

i did enjoy the way you set forth your descriptive chronological narrative in the story. (i often responded to annabel's method of utilizing "in medias res", though sometimes he went too far by using it more than once in a story...)

a job very well done--keep on "treading that path"...
I used the same ammo that I have used almost exclusively for 6 or 7 years in this gun: a 178gr Hornaday AMAX with 80gr of H1000 in Winchester brass. With that I have killed well over a hundred big game.

Including two bull elk.
Neat story Hi_Vel!

It always seemed to me like there are some guys out there who are simply on another level.

I worked on a fire crew with a guy who half assed worked out, and was powered by a combination of Mountain Dew, Jack Daniels, and hate. He often forgot a lunch, and rat [bleep] an MRE or ate candy bars for lunch. Ate bar pizza for supper. Despite all of this, he simply stomped everyone he met athletically. We did a hike up a mountain for PT one time with saws and full kit. Many of the crew dropped out. I puked at the end. This guy not only completed the hike easily, he did so while chain smoking cigarettes the entire hike, wafting the smoke back over his shoulder to give the rest of the crew lungs full of cigarette smoke.

I'm not saying he couldn't have been in better shape had he foregone some of his less healthy habits, but it just goes to show that some guys are animals. I've been around a few of these guys.....interestingly enough, several went SF.

prairie goat,

that friend of yours sounds like a real anomaly to be sure, and with him being a smoker, those feats that he was capable of are nothing short of astonishing...

my wife and i used to occasionally hike/climb with a guy that was a near "beanpole" in stature, he was 6' 1'' tall, and 160 lbs--but he was really in superb condition.

my wife and i climbed a difficult peak one time that was about 6500 feet in vertical gain, and did it in about 7 hours to summit. to give you an idea of his conditioning, he did the same peak/route in just over 2 1/2 hours. his typical "diet" was unconventional to say the least. he ate a lot of elbow macaroni covered in ketchup, pop tarts, and sundry other out-of-date items such as squids, tv dinners, etc., that he procured out of a grocery dumpster near his apartment...

another comment on Lowe: whenever i saw him talking to someone--such as in a lecture hall or out at an event--i remember that he would always stand with both of his knees bent about 4-5 inches forward, so that he was basically supporting himself with the muscle strength of his legs--he would stand there like that for 15-20 minutes while talking to someone...
You done fine, just fine.
Really impressive story. I'm working on doing my first backpack hunt next year with a friend in Canada. I will condition much harder. I've been thinking of your adventure for the past week every time I lift. Thanks for the inspiration.
Lift? you'd be better off humping stairs......
No worry huntsman. I hike the stairs with a weighted pack on each day. Once Christmas (and bow hunting) have passed I will start hiking 10-12 miles again with the pack on my back.
Originally Posted by roundoak
Dayum - that was special.
lol
Bump, because I’m an ass…..

Have fun with this.
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Have fun with this.

laugh laugh laugh laugh
Originally Posted by ingwe

Have fun with this.

laugh laugh laugh laugh

LMAO.......
Well, there's 30 minutes I won't get back.

Have fun with this.

hahahaha

Oh my...

I had the pleasure of reading this when you linked the thread awhile back.

lol

Have fun with this.

lol!

Thanks for Bumping this thread T_Inman, what a phenomenal read! I enjoyed every minute of it, best story I have ever read on any forum.

Formidilosus is one tough and fearless dude! I only wish the pictures were still up so I could see them all as I read about his MT elk hunting ADVENTURE!

Amazing!
© 24hourcampfire