Hop To
Page 15 of 21 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 20 21
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by Hi_Vel
Originally Posted by Calvin
Good write up. Curious why everybody thinks it was such a hard hunt? Nobody has ever hunted in uncomfortable conditions before?

i found it to be a well written account, and a good descriptive read.

growing up reading the adventerous stories of the great descriptive writer russell annabel, it doesn't take long to wish for another story to digest. most everyone who read his material knew that he was a writer given to some hyperbole--it was unmistakable. nevertheless, it was supposedly said that "earnest hemingway considered annabel to be the greatest writer of outdoor adventures who had ever lived..." if it is actually true that he made that statement, it is quite a compliment, considering hemingway's talent. i enjoyed russell's writing alot, despite any of the obvious hyperbole. he could paint with words. one major purpose of writing is to "give someone the hint to go and see for yourself..."

growing up hunting, hiking, and climbing in this terrain--it is easy to see the situation in a different light than those who have made comments who have not experienced firsthand the rugged vastness of mountain wilderness hiking, climbing, and hunting.

as an example, i've left the vehicle at 2 am and climbed up several thousand feet through 10-12 inches of snow to arrive at a specific destination for ideal hunting--5 hours in. no big deal there. in better weather; summer & fall season conditions, my wife and i have gone in as far as eleven miles one way--with 6000 feet elevation gain on the route, in as little as 5 1/2 hours--and returning to the vehicle in just under 11 hours. we did a trip even more grueling than that, with her being 7 months pregnant, and a class 4 section along the route, and were back at the car in under 12 hours. no big deal there either. i would honestly consider us to be in less than "so-so" physical condition. one trip we did took us 8 hours one way--with 7000 feet elevation gain, and we ran into some yuppie punks dressed in light gear who passed us like we were standing still. at that point we were 7 hours in, and they had done that stretch in 2 hours and 15 minutes. to those that live here and do this, it is not superhuman stuff--just adventuresome hunting/hiking/climbing that takes some effort/work.

these comments are not made in any way to take away from Form's adventure--far from it, as he has what it takes--and to come here from half the continent away--not really knowing the terrain, etc., and take on this type of adventure "solo" is a very commendable skill/deed; and to captivate an audience with the writing of the tale is a great skill as well.

my comments are only given to put the adventure into some perspective for those who have never done this type of adventure.

to those of us who live, hunt, hike, and climb in this mountainous terrain it is usually easy to discern the occasional hyperbole contained within a written narrative in order to spice up a story and captivate an audience--allowing others to live the tale through the wonder of words...

congrats to you on bagging your elk, and experiencing a true montana hunting adventure in the mountains, and taking the time and effort to share your experience with all of us!

This!

I don't mind a bit of lettuce with a story either when it's well written--no offense intended to the OP. I wish I had taken the time for more photos during my hunts. Wish I was a better writer, too. I appreciate the effort expended, the results, and the time taken to put it out here for the masses to chew on, admire, and gripe about. I was looking forward to the muley hunt, but I guess that's not coming.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ranger1
I just hope that anyone reading this in the future will realize that things weren't done as they should be.

maybe you should re-word that....

Something like, "as (ME, MYSELF, and 'I'), THINK they should be".......?

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I'm done with this - I just hope that anyone reading this in the future will realize that I'm a whiny gash.

Hey, I fixed it for you.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Like I said, I think the staged pics are strange. If that's what you normally do then I understand. It's something that's not on my list of importance when I'm hunting. It's all I can do to concentrate on my hunt much less take pics at every instance.

Helluva nice deer BTW. Congrats!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Formidilosus: Enjoyed the prose ... the photos are a treat, as I rarely take enough (or any).

Well played ...

- - - Silver Bullet

168gr TSX ... launched just an "Einstein" below the Speed-o-light

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Higbean
I'm done with this - I just hope that anyone reading this in the future will realize that I'm a whiny gash.

Hey, I fixed it for you.

Pretty sure that anyone that has a clue can see where the gash is, he11 you would too if you'd look down and spread your fat thighs.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Disappointed the story has come to an end. I enjoyed it! It would make for a good read in a magazine too! For all the second guessing going on, I guess I look at it differently. Danger is relative to your ability to extract yourself from a situation, so it's a variable, not a constant in most cases. Some choose to be a little closer to that edge. It's called living. Decide for yourself what you would do differently. Personally can't wait to get back to the Rockies. Nice deer too! I really need to find some places I can hunt deer with a rifle here in VA. Oh, and it's nice to know I'm not alone in taking pictures of all sorts of random stuff for my own memories.

Thanks for sharing!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Man, I musta missed rule#1 when I was in hunter-tyke skool. Been on a bunch, where I just took off and went. And, without alla todays gizmos and gadgets. But then, I've allus had an aversion to 'rules' and auth-or-i-tah......

When I killed my first elk, I was all by myself. All I had with me was a rifle and a Buck 110 knife. No day pack, no topo maps, etc. I think that I may have had a compass in my pocket left over from my Boy Scout days, but can't really remember. I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
P
PWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Great story. I was hoping you would kill a huge mule deer buck. I hope all the BS about your hunt will not stop you from posting your future adventures.

Perry

N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by PWN
Great story. I was hoping you would kill a huge mule deer buck. I hope all the BS about your hunt will not stop you from posting your future adventures.

Perry

DITTO...and my thanks to you! And especially ditto to ignoring all this BS about your hunt because I hope you will post your future adventures.

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Unless I missed it thru all the arguing, what was his rifle setup?

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Anybody who hasn't screwed up in elk country, especially when they were under 40, probably didn't really want an elk.

Though here in Montana I know quite a few guys who've never killed an elk without being more than a few hundred yards from their pickup, if that. Though some of them still screwed up while getting the elk out....

Things I miss from the day. Time to hunt and unlimited energy. This was due to being young and no wife, job,kids or, mortgage and spending all my money on a good set of wheels and an elk rifle. Had lots of adventures out west and up north like many,many others here. Best advise I can give my kids is to spend your youth sowing oats and enjoy before life catches up to u.
Even back in the 70's it was possible to get severely lost, something very hard to do most places with phone coverage or a modern gps. Now we have sat phones and Spot systems.

Things I learned since then? Stop shooting moose on sheep hunts.

Hard to compare with Theodore.
Just saying

Last edited by tangozulu; 12/04/13.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I think Form gets a lot of credibility just for not getting distracted and sticking with the story. It's pretty clear he doesn't care who believes him and who doesn't.

Well done regardless.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Form,

Top shelf hunt and story. Was truly enjoyed on my end and congrats on taking a nice bull. Now about that deer! I'm all ears man!

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by PWN

Perry

+2. Thoroughly enjoyed reading.

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by NTG
Originally Posted by PWN

Perry

DITTO...and my thanks to you! And especially ditto to ignoring all this BS about your hunt because I hope you will post your future adventures.

Big time +2!!

To borrow a great quote from another thread:

Originally Posted by George_in_SD
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I thought it was a great thread and enjoyed reading it.

That said, I still only believe about half.

How come if we throw the BS flag we aren't allowed to comment?

I'm wondering about what prairie goat mentioned below. I agree, but I still don't think they were just mistakes. I will bet that some of those small mistakes led to experiences that were embellished through the story telling. And that's trying to be generous and giving the benefit of doubt.

Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Seems like half these guys have never 'pushed' it before. But that's OK. Some [bleep] just can't operate without a safety net......and others can't leave the couch.
But to bitch,moan and call bullschit on those that can/do/done it, just to sound 'experienced' is really rich..

The funny thing is most of the guys on here saying the Dude made some mistakes ARE guys that have BT/DT.

Last edited by Ralphie; 12/04/13.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

...the pictures? They were taken with a phone camera. They were taken and then texted as smack talk to buddies that couldn't make it when I got signal. Talking chit to friends is worth a whole heck of a lot of effort. RC, that's weak sauce. There is no ulterior motive. Dudes kept asking me to email/write the story to them, so I did. Was never intended for public consumption. However, seeing how I greatly enjoy reading about other's trips, I thought WTH....

The fact that some think this was so over the top, is truly sad. Theodore weeps for you.

Thanks for the story, the photos, and the "apology", Formidilosus. I for one enjoyed the tale.

As one who has undertaken mountain trips (hunting and nonhunting) that many on the 'Fire would consider foolhardy to an extreme, all I can say is when you're young, in great condition, and you know the true and tested limits of your abilities and your equipment, you can take on "projects" like this one that others would never begin to contemplate.

FWIW, taking pics for trash-talkin' your buddies is IMHO the loftiest purpose of the cellphone camera...
grin

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by tangozulu

Even back in the 70's it was possible to get severely lost, something very hard to do most places with phone coverage or a modern gps. Now we have sat phones and Spot systems.

True dat!! When I recall some of the backcountry trips I took with nothing more than a map and compass (and sometimes not even a map) back in the day, I shake my head. GPS and sat phones are two generations ahead of what I used then. And no, I never got seriously lost... but I was confused a time or two and had to puzzle it out harder than I would've liked.

Originally Posted by tangozulu

Things I learned since then? Stop shooting moose on sheep hunts.

I learned early on that the old Canuck adage, "Nothing spoils a moose hunt faster than some damn fool shootin' a moose!!!" is very true.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I couldn't wait to kill something after I got my first digital camera and yes it was on the fire before the deer even got cold at the processors laugh

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Page 15 of 21 1 2 13 14 15 16 17 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

654 members (219 Wasp, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 219DW, 1beaver_shooter, 57 invisible), 2,558 guests, and 1,274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,635
Posts18,512,118
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.