Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 21 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 20 21
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
"He was facing me head on, my wobble zone was well inside the vitals and there wasn't a second thought in my mind; I put the reticle on the center of his chest, inline with the spine, took a deep breath, let it out and pressed the trigger."

Hard to gut shoot elk when they are facing you, at least in Montana.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Well whatever. He heard the bullet hit, couldn't find it, jumped it later not far off by itself (a good sign it was hurt), and subsequently lost the elk.

Many, many elk have been wounded and lost, without producing a blood trail. Don't ask me how I know frown

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Can Do attitude! way to go.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
On the other hand, if the story is true, it shows that a positive attitude and being in shape go a long way towards success.

Though I'm in the "questionable story" camp.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
,,,and young.

IC B2

P
PWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
His handle is Latin for: causing dread, fear, terror. I don't think it was meant to apply to one's self.

Perry

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jds44

Most here don't believe Greenhorn backpacks into the middle of nowhere to kill the monster bulls he does, or that Scenarshooter puts in the massive amounts of field time he does to kill the big critters he does, etc. Just because I can't do it (and no, I couldn't do what form did right now) doesn't mean it can't be done. Do some research before automatically calling BS.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone question either of those guys. If you can't see a difference, then I feel sorry for you.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by ranger1

Most here don't believe Greenhorn backpacks into the middle of nowhere to kill the monster bulls he does, or that Scenarshooter puts in the massive amounts of field time he does to kill the big critters he does, etc. Just because I can't do it (and no, I couldn't do what form did right now) doesn't mean it can't be done. Do some research before automatically calling BS.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone question either of those guys. If you can't see a difference, then I feel sorry for you.

Yeah, I can see a big difference - GH and Scenar kill bigger critters and have a lot better pics, but Form is a much better writer than either. smile

D
DZG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
I personally loved the story and pictures. Maybe the best read I have had since joining the campfire. Curious about the author and his experience, I went to user list and pulled up Formids prior posts. I find his contributions to threads and discussions to be very factual and to the point. He definitely has experience with long range shots, scopes, bullets, and cartridges.

After reading some 20 pages of posts, I am inclined to give him the benefit of the doubt. Maybe there is some embellishment in the story....but I think all great sports writers possess that ability. I can't wait to read the outcome of his mule deer hunt. I'm betting others here can't wait as well.

Formidilosus rock on!!!

Hunting is about everything you do before you pull the trigger.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
What hunter on the Fire does not embellish.

The "BIG" dry doe, the "BIG DEEP FORKY" that was so old he was headed down hill. The calf elk that was shot because it was "tender". The cow that was killed to "fill the freezer",and on and on.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by creasy

Precisely. For that matter, I doubt a magazine article or book has ever been written without a certain amout of "artistic license" being applied. Is the basic story correct and doable by someone with the right experience? I'm inclined to believe yes. Is every detail 100% accurate? Who cares. Is it a great read? Absolutely.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
So now where is the rest of our story?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
creasy,

The one I've always liked is "fat forkhorn." In my experience forkhorn nucks aren't fat, because they're too damn busy growing muscle and bone!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Or, I forgot my camera back at camp. (Iphone I think it was)

Or, my foot slipped and I shot him in the ass.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Creasy: Only a fool or an idiot would try to put words in another persons mouth!
Which are you?
I have never said (because that would be untrue!) that ALL the Elk have been chased onto private land around these parts - most have though and I stand by that contention!
Its just a sad fact anymore (since the transplantation of the Candian Wolves!), that this situation adversely effects many Hunts and Hunters.
Let alone outfitters and affiliated businesses.
So assess your stupid or idiotic statement and correct it if you are half a man!
By the way, this morning I went to pick up my processed game hamburger from G.O.'s Jerky Barn on Flynn Lane here near my home.
I observed 4 herds of Elk on my drive (10 miles round trip!) ALL were on private ranches one herd had 1,100 Elk the next had 100 Elk the next had 650 and the last had 550 Elk (yeah I counted them!) in it and this last herd was crossing Flynn Lane from one private ranch to the next doing considerable damage to both sets of fences!
WELL over 2,000 Elk seen in 15 minutes where 10-12 years ago NONE would have been seen!
What happened there creasy, to cause such a dramatic and drastic change in Elk habits and habitat?
The answer (IF you are smart enough to understand it?) is that 10 years ago the Wolves became VERY over-populated hereabouts and since have flushed most of the Elk out of their traditional fall/winter haunts in the foothills!
Deny that fact creasy and you are just proving my point - you are talking like an idiot!
Thanks for nothing rmWf!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
VG, these foolish words are yours from another thread. You don't suppose 11 weeks of hunting by guys had anything to do with those elk being pushed on to private do you?

"There is no Elk sign in and around the creek that starts at our spring - this is unusual also.
Our thoughts and conversations keep going back to the massive herd of Elk on that last ranch which is over 1,500' below and 8 air miles from our camp.
No Elk observed around the camp and no Moose either."

"Around here the Elk simply herd up in and stay on private ranches for the relative safety from Wolf attacks but they have done so in the recent past in late September."

What me to keep busting you up?

Sorry to the OP, didn't mean to highjack your thread.

Last edited by creasy; 12/03/13.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by creasy

Precisely. For that matter, I doubt a magazine article or book has ever been written without a certain amout of "artistic license" being applied. Is the basic story correct and doable by someone with the right experience? I'm inclined to believe yes. Is every detail 100% accurate? Who cares. Is it a great read? Absolutely.

Precisely the reason I despise 98% of hunting stories. Exaggeration and "artistic license" ruin the story for me, as I no longer know what parts to believe.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
If the story is real, the Dude (and I mean it in the most John Wayne of definitions) nearly gets search & rescue called out on him while doing his best Bear Grylls impersonation jumping off a cliff, and uses most of his water to put out a fire in the snow. He likely gut shoots & loses an elk, - and is touted as some kind of hero. The story sounds clearly like he's pandering for sponsorship.

If the story is false or riddled with white lies, it's just as bad, as there are guys who will read this and think they can do this sort of thing with no consequences, and potentially die trying.

BINGO!

Although we all can agree there is no life guard in the gene pool. Just saying.

When its time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to get on Noah's Arc... and brother, it is starting to rain!

The chair is against the wall.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Calvin
Good write up. Curious why everybody thinks it was such a hard hunt? Nobody has ever hunted in uncomfortable conditions before?

i found it to be a well written account, and a good descriptive read.

growing up reading the adventerous stories of the great descriptive writer russell annabel, it doesn't take long to wish for another story to digest. most everyone who read his material knew that he was a writer given to some hyperbole--it was unmistakable. nevertheless, it was supposedly said that "earnest hemingway considered annabel to be the greatest writer of outdoor adventures who had ever lived..." if it is actually true that he made that statement, it is quite a compliment, considering hemingway's talent. i enjoyed russell's writing alot, despite any of the obvious hyperbole. he could paint with words. one major purpose of writing is to "give someone the hint to go and see for yourself..."

growing up hunting, hiking, and climbing in this terrain--it is easy to see the situation in a different light than those who have made comments who have not experienced firsthand the rugged vastness of mountain wilderness hiking, climbing, and hunting.

as an example, i've left the vehicle at 2 am and climbed up several thousand feet through 10-12 inches of snow to arrive at a specific destination for ideal hunting--5 hours in. no big deal there. in better weather; summer & fall season conditions, my wife and i have gone in as far as eleven miles one way--with 6000 feet elevation gain on the route, in as little as 5 1/2 hours--and returning to the vehicle in just under 11 hours. we did a trip even more grueling than that, with her being 7 months pregnant, and a class 4 section along the route, and were back at the car in under 12 hours. no big deal there either. i would honestly consider us to be in less than "so-so" physical condition. one trip we did took us 8 hours one way--with 7000 feet elevation gain, and we ran into some yuppie punks dressed in light gear who passed us like we were standing still. at that point we were 7 hours in, and they had done that stretch in 2 hours and 15 minutes. to those that live here and do this, it is not superhuman stuff--just adventuresome hunting/hiking/climbing that takes some effort/work.

these comments are not made in any way to take away from Form's adventure--far from it, as he has what it takes--and to come here from half the continent away--not really knowing the terrain, etc., and take on this type of adventure "solo" is a very commendable skill/deed; and to captivate an audience with the writing of the tale is a great skill as well.

my comments are only given to put the adventure into some perspective for those who have never done this type of adventure.

to those of us who live, hunt, hike, and climb in this mountainous terrain it is usually easy to discern the occasional hyperbole contained within a written narrative in order to spice up a story and captivate an audience--allowing others to live the tale through the wonder of words...

congrats to you on bagging your elk, and experiencing a true montana hunting adventure in the mountains, and taking the time and effort to share your experience with all of us!

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Remember when we did Crazy Peak back in the 80's?

7000 vertical?

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Page 12 of 21 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1936M71, 160user, 69 invisible), 2,289 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,669
Posts18,513,121
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.