Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 21 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 20 21
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by scenarshooter
Remember when we did Crazy Peak back in the 80's?

7000 vertical?

yes, i think if i recall correctly it was 5 1/2 hours to the summit, with the cloud deck about 2000 feet below, and lightning flashing all around down below us.

awesome spectacle...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's clearly ulterior motivation smile

Most of what bothers me are the photos (ok, and the super-human hike, slide, climb parts too).

To get those pictures, a guy has to purposely put himself in spots a normal dude would just walk around while hunting, yet formy finds it necessary to wade into waist-deep snow, break out his camera phone and take a "selfie". He also purposely sticks his boot in a pool of water and takes another even though the normal guy would just walk to either side of it where his feet aren't submerged.

Check out the pics of him packing out the meat, totally exhausted supposedly. Well, it seems he has time to set up the camera, set the self-timer, run back and pose for the shot....a couple of times.

Maybe I'm weird, but my priorities on a hunt are to actually hunt. On a hunt of this supposed difficulty, the last thing on my priority list would be to constantly take photos in all the difficult situations I encountered.

We live in a strange age. Limbaugh was talking about it the other day. Everyone wants their life to seem extraordinary. They all want their "15 minutes" even though they may not have truly accomplished anything of substance, ever. With all the social media like Facebook, Twitter and forums like this, people constantly "update" their whereabouts, what they are eating and the like.

What ever happened to simply going on a hunt, posting some pics of what you killed and talking about your rifle specs?

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Or simply going on a hunt, bringing home some meat, and not bragging to anybody.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I say we tar and feather him.

If you're not burning through batteries in your headlamp,...you're doing it wrong.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
rcamuglia, why does it matter to you if he took pics? Can't figure out why you're so concerned and apparently obsessed with the "selfie" term.

IC B2

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Or simply going on a hunt, bringing home some meat, and not bragging to anybody.

This is the "campfire" isn't it? Can we only ask questions in the hunting forums??? No more posting pics or hunt reports........or maybe you can give a hunt report, as long as its not better than mine.......

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That would be just fine with me.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Personally, I'm glad he took the time to write it and I kept hitting refresh on my phone for a couple of days waiting for the next installment. To those that are bitching about the write up and that he didn't just post a pic of the elk and what rifle / load he used - DON'T READ IT. Some of us appreciate that he took the time to write it up. If you don't, MOVE ON. Can't see how it's all that complicated.

Last edited by jds44; 12/03/13. Reason: spelling
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ctsmith
... apparently obsessed with the "selfie" term.

Just trying to stay "hip"

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by jds44
To those that are bitching ....DON'T READ IT. Some of us appreciate that he took the time to write it up. If you don't, MOVE ON. Can't see how it's all that complicated.

Worth repeating. This isn't a thread where the OP is seeking advise or info. There is no debate. This is a hunt report. If you don't like it, leave! Why cause a fuss?

IC B3

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Tall tales and pictures on an internet hunting forum?! That's just crazy stuff!

It's a story, enjoy, or close the book, you have a choice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have to wonder if what is really bothering a lot of folks is the sheer pluck and audacity and toughness of fella who on the spur of moment takes his skill sets, gets into his truck, drives 40 hrs to his destination picking up his gear and tags along the way and then records his experiences of taking a bull elk on a public land DIY hunt in extremely tough conditions.
I also have to think Formidilous stones may have rattled a few pebbles.........
JMHO

Men ocassionaly stumble over the truth from time to time but, most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened.
- Winston Churchill-

NRA Endowment Life Member
D
DZG Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Exactly Blackdog! I think he started his trip from somewhere in the southeast, where a lot of guys start by loading up the C'mere Deer!?!^#! What Formid accomplished was extraordinary, compared to the number of animals I've seen shot from alfalfa fields and loaded whole into a ranchers flatbed.

I really have to wonder if the majority of Internet keyboard hunters have the cajones to even attempt that kind of DIY hunt. When I was younger and felt stronger, and more invincible, maybe so, but not at 61.

I respect what Formid accomplished, and have enjoyed him sharing it with the CF.

Hunting is about everything you do before you pull the trigger.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I appreciated the effort made in the write up and enjoyed the story. I could do without the pissing and moaning from the side lines.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Hey now, don't be knocking our C'Mere Deer!! That's hard work. And walking all the way to the treestand too. It could be a couple hundred yards!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by lochsa
I could do without the pissing and moaning from the side lines.

no schit.......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Glad I did not get this kind of debate on my Yukon Gold post here a couple months ago. I enjoyed the write up though the story seemed extreme at times. I do appreciate the effort to make the post because I know the effort it takes from pictures in the field to PB to loads of typing. Like a good hunting tale with pictures to support it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some of you fellas are as dense as granite. Doing stupid things is one thing, writing about it on the internet and having a bunch of guys say that it was admirable is another. He wrote a great story, seemed to have a good time, and that's outstanding. Leaving on a trip all the way across the country and planning on the way is ill advised at best. Traversing dangerous ground at a rate of speed that conditions and your skill level won't allow is liable to get you killed or seriously injured. Shooting under conditions that are outside your skill set is a poor choice. These are just some highlights, there's more. I can't speak for everyone that hasn't been a fan, but I think that talking this debacle up as doing it right is a disservice to those that might like to try something similar.

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by BCSteve
So now where is the rest of our story?

Getting, uh, formidulated? whistle smile

Last edited by eyeball; 12/03/13.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
About 10% of the population of Bozeman did the same thing he did in this post, minus the drama.

Another 10% was out hunting powder on the Ridge, minus the drama.

Another 10% was getting on vertical ice in Hyalite, minus the drama.

The other 70% was at work so they could go do the aforementioned stuff later on.

Not to take away from the effort at all, it's just glaringly obvious that lots of people have no idea how many folks get it done in the mountains on a regular basis. Normal is relative, and normal in places like Bozeman/Cody/Jackson/Banff/etc. ain't the same...

Page 13 of 21 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

74 members (405winash, 35, Amos63, Akhutr, 12 invisible), 1,600 guests, and 764 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,651
Posts18,512,647
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.