Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 10 of 21 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 20 21
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm guessing they didn't have it even when they were his age.

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by cast10K

I never tell anyone that I am out of shape. I wouldn't want to give the false impression that I was ever IN shape! laugh

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Hunt well done - Story well spun!

Thanks

Terry

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Formid, you write very well and you no doubt are a "never quit" dedicated hunter.

Congratulations on your elk kill. Hope you got that Mule deer, too.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I would say a few Al Qaedi and/or Taliban might have met the 72 virgins thanks to Mr. F.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B2

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
I have a friend who is a fishing guide in CO, has been for 15 yrs or so. He is an excellent writer the best story teller I've ever heard. I enjoy nothing more than sitting around the campfire and listening to him weave a story. My wife asked before why I don't get mad at him, as she knows I despise a liar. I can't explain it--the truth doesn't matter, it's about entertainment. Sadly, I'm too linear in thought to tell a good tale, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying one.

Formidable, you are a good writer, that's a fact. Thanks for the story. It is easy to fill up on like my Turkey Day dinner with all of the fixings. My stories always end up like jerky that was cut a bit too thin.

Btw, I hunt on foot in wilderness every year, and every year I pack out elk. I've given dozens of elk a ride. I know what it takes. I will say I've found that elk respect a good effort, and I've been in on many kills while drenched in sweat.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by cast10K

I am more envious of the 4 weeks of free time. Haven't had that the last 3 decades. Thankfully still healthy and tough enough though hunt smarter than back in the day.

R
R
Excuse me while I go get a testosterone booster, so I can feel like a man again... Dude! Your hardcore. Thanks for sharing.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Formid, you've inspired me to start a diet and lose these extra 45 lb so that one day I can attempt something about 1/50th the hard-coreness.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Wow is about all I can think of to say.....WOW!

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
We still need the rifle dope.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel
I know this story is true, we ran into Formilidosis on our hunt. It is amazing how much high country you can see and how much snow you can have then not have. Dining out once in awhile makes it even better.

Who cares how much is true, it beats the hell out of most of the lies that have been told here for years...

laugh

I was waiting for the 'fought off a grizzly with my knife' installment. Maybe it's coming...

It ain't what you don't know that makes you an idiot...it's what you know for certain, that just ain't so...

Most people don't want to believe the truth~they want the truth to be what they believe.

Stupidity has no average...
R
R
Great hunt so far...... do we need Paul Harvey for the rest of the story??

What happened with the mule deer tag?

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Formidilosus: Congratulations on your Elk Hunt and the Elk harvest!
You have earned my praise and admiration.
I am 66 years old now and have had some Hunts long ago that would rival yours as you recounted it - although my toughest Hunts were for Mt. Goats!
The picture of the big Bulls all in the round (gutted but not quartered!) in the back of the truck indeed occurred in my home town - I saw that truck full of Elk there at Sparky's Garage Restaurant the day you photgraphed it.
Those Elk were killed not 3 miles from that restaurant on table flat ground out of a herd of over 1,200 Elk!
The Elk were loaded whole onto the flatbed truck with a front loader - so the "Hunters" did not get to enjoy the rewards of packing their meat on their backs like you did.
The Elk in question had been on that ranch for more than 75 days when those "Hunters" "made the grade" (paid!) to shoot them (tresspass fee is rumored here to be VERY substantial there!)!
The resulting fracas of stampeding Elk caused much fence damage and many Elk being shot from public roads as they ran near or across them!
The local Game Warden headed past my house with lights and siren in use (VERY unusual!) heading for this firing line/gauntlet situation where upon he wrote several citations and took MANY blood and DNA samples for further investigation.
Word is that the Game Warden wrote his next door neighbor a ticket for shooting from the burrow pit as the stampeding Elk ran past him.
Word had apparently leaked out in advance that a "Hunt" was going to happen on this ranch and many "Hunters" sat up their "hides" along public roads and at places they had no tresspass permissions, in anticipation of the stampede!
Sad situations those, compared to your true sporting accomplishment!
Those 1,200 Elk come out of their normal haunts (where you were Hunting!) and take refuge there each year now (since the Canadian Wolves were transplanted hereabouts)!
Again I commend your efforts and results.
I think I recognize one "skyline shot" in your story and I will keep that area confidential.
Again good on you and I hope you had some luck on the Deer portion of your Hunt.
If you are still in the area of that restaurant DON'T pay another night for a motel - call me at 406-683-6888 and stay for free at my place!
I hope your Deer Hunting was less precarious and difficult than your Elk "odyssey" was and am anxiously awaiting to here of it - win, lose or draw.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Varmitguy, appreciate the insight which gives this thread another very cool twist. It just keeps getting better!

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ctsmith
...It just keeps getting better!

Everything is always better when VG adds his wisdom.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
VG, There you go slurring Canada again.

Those are not Canadian wolves, they are grey wolves. The introduced grey wolves from Canada are now deceased. Your Montana wolves are now 100% USA born and bred AMERICAN grey wolves! (by the rules of your citizenship)

Get it right would you! smile

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Good write up. Curious why everybody thinks it was such a hard hunt? Nobody has ever hunted in uncomfortable conditions before?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wide range of climates in North America Calvin. While I wonder if I could handle a early deer hunt in California when it is 40C, I'm sure a lot of people can't comprehend hunting in the north when it is -40C. Extremes in weather and terrain are never fun, especially when you are not conditioned to them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by AB2506
I'm sure a lot of people can't comprehend hunting in the north when it is -40C.

I can't imagine. It's bad enough hunting in -40 F... grin

Page 10 of 21 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 20 21

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (anothergun, 10gaugemag, BallisticBRYAN, Alan_Robertson, 13 invisible), 1,504 guests, and 715 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,638
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.