Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hands down best triggers on the planet are: Anschutz 2-stage, Barnard 2-stage

In an AR-15: Geissele
700 single stage: Jewell
700 2-stage: Huber concepts or Xtreme CG

I had a target accutrigger in a Savage that I built and it was great for what it costs, but until you have tried one of the above, you are truly living the saying, "Ignorance is bliss".

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ryanjay11
Hands down best triggers on the planet are: Anschutz 2-stage, Barnard 2-stage

700 single stage: Jewell
700 2-stage: Huber concepts or Xtreme CG

YUP!!!!! but someone new to the game can't tell the difference other than "WOW !!! that feels nice". I 'd like to save our friend some bucks till he gets down the road a bit further and still have something he can enjoy. He has kids.

Denny.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

but until you have tried one of the above, you are truly living the saying, "Ignorance is bliss".

Pretty much applies to Geissele shooters who haven't used an AR Gold trigger.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

but until you have tried one of the above, you are truly living the saying, "Ignorance is bliss".

I've used them both and apparently you haven't.

Last edited by ryanjay11; 11/29/13.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee

I've used them both and apparently you haven't.

I own a brace of each.

IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
On a consistent basis, Tikka has the best trigger and barrels/accuracy in a light weight package on the market for the money.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The trigger on my Cooper 57M was no slouch either. from the factory, it was set light with zero creep.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
For hunting, the old Winchester Model 70 gets my vote. Ruger would be second place for hunting.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Im a lefty so I am limited in my options. I have a saveage 114 and it is a very nice trigger especially for hunting. It adjusts by removing two allen screws and the then the barrelled action comes out of the stock and the adjustment was right there. I checked mine when I got it and it was set as light as it could go from the factory. Gun is also very accurate.

Today I picked up an browning x-bolt at the shop and I will be ordering one of those this year in a lefty model. It had a very nice adjustable trigger as well. The nice touch was that it didn't have the safety trigger the savage had so it has the more traditional appearance.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
thanks guys for all the advice. a lot of it will be great when I get better and money to upgrade. I am really interested in the best/good trigger available on stock rifles in the 500-600 range.

I seem to be leaning between savage and remington....

IC B3

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by Crow hunter
...put a Jewell trigger on it. Nothing else comes close

I've had great results with Timneys and Shilens for 700's.

Nothing wrong with Jewell, but they're not the only game in town. For aftermarket triggers, my first choice is usually a Timney.

Gotta agree heavily with post 2 and 3 here.

I know the Campfire crowd has an absolute love-fest infatuation with Jewells, but on a hunting rifle in particular, there are better options.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
On a stock rifle out of the box in your price range I would get a savage it will be accurate and the trigger is very nice. I am very happy with mine. It is sub moa out of the box and I am the limiting factor with accuracy in that gun. Im only capable of so much.

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
I'm with the buy a good used rifle crowd.
My preference is Winchesters with the 3 position safety so naturally I have no issue thinking the trigger in one of them can be fine, sometimes with a little work.
With that said, I have Rugers, Rems, Winny's, and used to have a Tikka. I have adjusted, modified, or replaced every trigger on every gun except one. My son recieved a new Win M70 as a graduation present and right out of the box it has a very smooth action, nice trigger, and still has the classic good looks.
The old tang safety Rugers are easy to adjust without disassembly for pull weight. Newer ones can be done at home but unless you've got someone to tutor you you probably should take them to a 'Smith. Rems adjusted correctly are fine, and I've doen both Ruger and Winchester triggers with aftermarket springs with good success. The trigger isn't the biggest issue really.
Get something that covers the widest amount of your personal wants & needs, have it bedded and the trigger adjusted, get the best glass you can afford. You'll find that with the factory trigger tuned well, bedding and good scope you could shoot it for years without really needing anything further.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jarhead88
thanks guys for all the advice. a lot of it will be great when I get better and money to upgrade. I am really interested in the best/good trigger available on stock rifles in the 500-600 range.

I seem to be leaning between savage and remington....

The Tikka T3 blued version is your best choice if you are wanting a hunting rifle. No need to later upgrade the trigger. If you want a hunting rifle that you can later modify to a target rifle then the only choice is a Remington 700 but you will invest up to 4-5 times the original purchase price for upgrades.

It's hard to know exactly what you are wanting since it is usually only dedicated target shooters that are anal about triggers. Most any hunting gun can be easily modified to have a trigger well suited for hunting requirements.

Again the Tikka has a very nice trigger out of the box or with just a simple screw turn to adjust. It is also a very accurate hunting rifle. Very hard to beat in the under $600 price range for accuracy and a good trigger.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Seems like the Remington 700 comes up a lot. like many mention later on it has the most options to upgrade. Which model though? Is there a concern with wood vs synthetic?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i use a jewel sit at 1# on my 700p 300rum. really like it.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seems like the Remington 700 comes up a lot. like many mention later on it has the most options to upgrade. Which model though? Is there a concern with wood vs synthetic?

Again you haven't told us of your intended use of the rifle. Give us an idea and we'll try to help.

As far a wood vs. synthetic not much can be done with the bedding area in the factory synthetic stock but the sky is the limit using wood. I'm a wood guy but own several rifles with expensive synthetic stocks.

Which model, you ask ? Again the options are so many it can work against you. What are you going to use it for and how often.

Denny.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
jarhead88,You have a PM waiting

Denny.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by George_in_SD
Shilen trigger for a hunting gun, jewel for everything else. Tuned up Remington trigger is nothing to sneeze at though.

I have to admit liking the Shilen on your 700 an awful lot.

That being said, most factory triggers can be made very serviceable. I have a worked over MOA trigger in my M70 that I am very happy with, also have had the factory triggers in M77 MKII Rugers worked over to a very nice trigger.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

Again you haven't told us of your intended use of the rifle. Give us an idea and we'll try to help.

As far a wood vs. synthetic not much can be done with the bedding area in the factory synthetic stock but the sky is the limit using wood. I'm a wood guy but own several rifles with expensive synthetic stocks.

Which model, you ask ? Again the options are so many it can work against you. What are you going to use it for and how often.

Denny.

It will mostly be for target shooting for now and eventually deer hunting. but mostly target shooting inside 200 yards, that is the longest around here.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (16gage, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 12344mag, 71 invisible), 3,161 guests, and 1,377 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,751
Posts18,476,244
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.