Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Time to start putting it through the rigors...

Weathered out from hunting today, so the conditions are nasty enough for a little scope testing....12*F with strong winds out of the northwest and sideways snow.

I mounted it on my GA Precision lightweight .260. Rings are Talley Lightweight Lows/30MM. It sat out on the bench for about an hour before I bore-sighted it and got it on the paper and zeroed. It took two shots to get my zero and confirmed the mil adjustments were correct.....at least at 100 meters.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

When George Gardner and I met with the Bushnell engineers last winter at SHOT, we were both outspoken about the elevation turret being low profile and user friendly. My suggestion for larger, more visible numbers and hash marks, for ease of use in low light and for hunters with aging eyes was well taken. Mounted in the Talley's, the elevation turret produces 10.8 mils of travel on one full turn. With the return to zero there is a positive zero stop as well. Simple and fast.

At 12*F the elevation turret and parallax worked fine with hardly any resistence. The eyepiece diopter was a little stiff as I was expecting as I've never used a scope where that wasn't the norm. The power ring was also a bit harder to turn as well.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gawd I love that rifle...

Tanner

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

A little chilly up here in the north country.....grin!

[Linked Image]

The group on the right was the one I was most interested in. After each shot, I ran the elevation turret to 10.8, then back to zero. Return to zero looks good so far...

123 scenars shot pretty good per usual.

Next test will be a "Box Test" for accuracy of tracking. The weatherman says it's going to drop down to 25 below zero by the end of the week. Good conditions for more testing. This scope is going to get used very hard........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'm saving my pennies...

Is the elevation turret a single turn setup? Or can you keep spinning past 10 mils?

If you're getting 10.8 I'm guessing you pass zero to do it?

Last edited by Carl_Ross; 12/03/13.

Empirical results rule!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Single turn.

[Linked Image]
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Carl_Ross
I'm saving my pennies...

Is the elevation turret a single turn setup? Or can you keep spinning past 10 mils?

If you're getting 10.8 I'm guessing you pass zero to do it?

.8 past zero.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Pat, i know your sold on mils

i am used to the whole dial for yardage with moa, and a premade turret in the yardages, looking for new or better ideas, wondering the good bad in the mil setup,

seems like your ranging in meters if i remember, if ranging in yards, spinning that turret in mils, how does that all connect,,,

thanks,
i am liking the looks of that scope, wondering how your liking the optics, dawn to dusk,

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Man-O-live, guys that actually shoot using a Bushnell

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
No problem ranging in yards and shooting mils. Most of my hunting buds roll that way.

My bet is, this scope will also be available in MOA. Maybe not right away, but it will happen.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RDFinn

Go to a major tactical shoot. You'll see more Bushnell scopes, than Nightforce scopes.

[Linked Image]
IC B3

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by 300stw
... seems like your ranging in meters if i remember, if ranging in yards, spinning that turret in mils, how does that all connect ...

Do you understand any trigonometry?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

Go to a major tactical shoot. You'll see more Bushnell scopes, than Nightforce scopes.

Been telling folks here for years Pat, that the Elite stuff should be sold under a different brand name altogether..........you know, for the guys that think there's only one scope maker out there. Me, I've been using Elite scopes for more than 15 years...

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
looks like you have a "new breed of scope" there--a compact, tidy, sensible size model for hunting, graced with all the needed amenities of a "tactical" scope system--very respectable--and the true t&e in that inclement weather makes for the beginnings of great medicine.

from about 16-17 years back, i've used the b&l 3000 and 4000 scopes, along with the more "recent" bushnell 3200, etc., and they are very good scopes. using that scope manufacturing background--and then building on it using specific criteria based upon real world field experience is the formula for the makings of a very good system...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am curious about them, where are the elite's manufactured? I have only owned the cheaper ones and ignorant about the Elite's

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In Japan, by Light Optical Works. They make Nightforce scopes too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did you happen to put in on a scale before you mounted it? I'd be interested to know the weight. Also, is it FFP?

Looks like something I could like ALOT.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

Been telling folks here for years Pat, that the Elite stuff should be sold under a different brand name altogether..........you know, for the guys that think there's only one scope maker out there. Me, I've been using Elite scopes for more than 15 years...

I was impressed with the company's willingness to sit down and go over solid idea's and details with a couple regular guys that hunt and shoot quite a little. They took good notes.....we just want products that work. I'm not in bed with any manufacturer, or brand name. If I find something that works for me, then I'll use it and share my experiences with others. Personally, I try to avoid the brand "X" VS. brand "Z" arguments, even though I'm guilty of it once in awhile.

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

The timing of this post is very interesting to me and I'll explain why. Admittedly I don't know squat about tactical stuff, but find it interesting. Very near the ranch I hunt whitetails on lives one of the premier sniper trainers in the world, bar none. He is very close friends with my cowboy buddy there. He (the trainer) highly recommends a Bushnell tactical (HDMR i think?) scope. The reticle freaked me out when I fiddled with the setup, but coming from him, it's pretty much inarguable IMO. The NF and S&B guys sometimes schittt their pants when he does that.........In fairness, some of the super high dollar rigs he sees and uses are topped with S&B's fairly often. He says you can imagine the look on people's faces when he says the very best bang for the buck on the planet for tactical shooting is a Tikka T3 tactical wearing a Bushy........

Last edited by JGRaider; 12/03/13.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by pointer
Did you happen to put in on a scale before you mounted it? I'd be interested to know the weight. Also, is it FFP?

Looks like something I could like ALOT.

This one is 22.5oz. I'm told sometimes prototype optics will have heavier materials in them, than what the production run units will have. Some internal parts may be made of steel instead of alloy on the prototype.

It is a FFP scope.

I plan on doing a head to head with the Bushnell, a S&B 10X42 PMII, and a March 3-24X42.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by 300stw
... seems like your ranging in meters if i remember, if ranging in yards, spinning that turret in mils, how does that all connect ...

Do you understand any trigonometry?

never heard of it

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

72 members (808outdoors, 2500HD, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, BALLISTIK, 10 invisible), 1,380 guests, and 789 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,502
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.