Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
P
OP Offline
P
For the past 3 months I've been testing virtually every ranging binocular on the market in a variety of real-world scenarios, to see which had the best performance in the field in terms of both optical clarity and ranging capabilities. I tried to have a purely objective, data-driven approach, so the results are based on over 10,000 data points collected from the field. Here's the lineup:

[Linked Image]

• Vectronix Vector 23
  • Vectronix Terrapin
  • Leica Geovid HD-B
  • Leica Geovid HD
  • Zeiss Victory RF
  • Bushnell Fusion 1 Mile
  • Bushnell Fusion 1600
  • Leupold RX-1000i TBR

The Swarovski EL Range is the only pair of rangefinding binoculars I�m aware of that wasn�t included � but it wasn�t for lack of effort. I talked to Swarovski multiple times trying to convince them to be part of this. I spent hours explaining the comprehensive line-up I�d compiled, and even detailed the field tests I was planning to run through with each pair. I answered every question they asked, and they still declined to be part of it.

Here are the biggest highlights from the results. To read the full review (including exhaustive details about how the tests were conducting and a lot more comparison charts), visit http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/...ews-field-tests-overall-results-summary/

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Read the full review at http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/...ews-field-tests-overall-results-summary/

Last edited by PrecisionRifleBlog; 12/03/13.
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Not sure if this is an advertisement for your site or not, so I'll ask......you compared $2500+ rf's with $400 rf's?

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
thanks for posting that, I wish you would have included the G7 Rangefinder as well. interesting results on the regular leica's, the interesting thing is the number of bad readings with incorrect yardage, makes me go ummmm on that one. one question how did you measure out exactly 800 yards to get a baseline for correct yardage??

I also like comparing $400 RF units to these because it shows how much better the expensive units are, OR maybe they aren't that much better which is born out in the tests. I personally have owned 3 sets of geovids, 2 of the non HD units and 1 HD unit. The HD's have noticeably better glass and can range a little better, although the HD units I had needed a trip back to leica to repair the RF function. they worked fine in the 5-600 yard range but beyond that would do well at all, after the trip to leica these are the best ranging geovids I have used yet. I am looking to trade up to the HD-b's but there isn't enough of them out yet that I can get a decent price on them yet.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
PrecisionRifleBlog,

Thanks for posting this info. If this is an ad for you site, so what. I like the info. I post comparisons and have internet bullies come along and try to intimidate me about the post. I was particularly interested in the Bushnell 1 Mile and the Leupold RX-1000i TBR. Did you post the prices on your site?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
P
OP Offline
P
Hey guys, this is absolutely not an advertisement. In fact, I posted the main highlights from the findings in this thread ... so you really don't even have to click on any of the links unless you want to dig into the details a little deeper or are curious how the testing was done. I make exactly $0 on that website. It is still just a free WordPress.com website at this point. All of this is completely volunteer, because I love doing it. It's just a hobby. I have a great day job.

I know including the Leupolds seems a little ridiculous at first, but here is an excerpt from one of my posts that helps explain why I included the Leupolds:

I thoroughly tested 8 different models, from Bushnell to Vectronix and everything in between. 6 of the models tested were binoculars, and the other 2 were monoculars. I included a Leupold monocular for reference because a lot of shooters have a 1,000 yard monocular rangefinder similar to that model, and including it allows those people to see how a model like that compares to these other binocular models. I also included the Vectronix Terrapin model as my control for ranging performance, because it is known to be an extremely accurate rangefinder (more on this later).

So just like cumminscowboy said, "I also like comparing $400 RF units to these because it shows how much better the expensive units are, OR maybe they aren't that much better which is born out in the tests." Exactly. Well said.

And yes, Ringman I posted the "street price" on the post that covers the different models and also has a side-by-side spec comparison. Here is a link to that one.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2013/...rs-reviews-field-tests-the-models-specs/

But, I actually just noticed last night that there are some brand new Bushnell Fusion 1 Mile binoculars on eBay for $800 ... and that is the "Buy It Now" price. That is a CRAZY DEAL. The street price I listed for them is $1,200 ... so $800 has to be close to dealer cost. I thought I'd pass it on. Here is a link:

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...fusion+1+mile&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Last edited by PrecisionRifleBlog; 12/03/13.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Good stuff, and I found it very interesting for sure. Thanks for the detailed information. I know my RX1000i has been super for me so far.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Very well done comparison. I do love my Leica HD-B. Shocks me that swarovski wouldn't play.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, I would love to see how Swaro compares.

I really like my Zeiss Victory 8x45 T* RF. And the results showed exactly what I've experienced, that this unit will range to 1,500-1,600 yds. Mine was a demo from Doug and the gang here on the Fire. Still expensive, but i saved a heap off retail.

I know those Vectronix are super expensive. Scenarshooter has a set and when asked about the price, his comment, I use these for my job and I don't drive a $50K pickup. I thought that was a neat answer and addresses priorities. His seem to be in the right place.

Nice post, thanks.

DF

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I have used in the field the Zeis, Leica, old Leupold binocs, and own the Bushnell. The first two were amazing but I have never been sad for buying the Bushnells! Good review and thanks for sharing!

Good Shooting!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for a well done test, and for the ebay/bushy heads up! I've been wanting a pair of those since they were announced, but couldn't swallow the asking price...

Empirical results rule!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks for taking the time to do this. Very well done test! Your Bushnell Fusion 1600 results surprise meal, though, as my own 1600 well outpaces the RF performance of your test pair, based on your figures above, and does a bit better even than the pair of 1 Mile that you tested.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Thanks for the review.

Sad to see the Swaro didn't want to play. I'm very interested in investing in a range finding bino. The swaros are, well... Swaro. Look great and great glass.

However - it concerns me that when you do a search on them at 24hrcampfire...the majority of posts you find are in the classifieds section.

Why? Are they so expensive that people sell to raise funds? Do they have functioning problems? Or do people realize that they'd rather have binos and a range finder separate?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jordan,

Yeah, I was very surprised by the Bushnell results as well, as I've been using a Fusion 1600 in the field for three seasons now. The very first time I tested it was on a bright late-summer afternoon, about the worst conditions for a LRF possible, and ranged a lone juniper "tree" (not very big across a flat plain at a little over 1600 yards.

Just spent several days testing a 1-Mile in the field and it was even better.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I put the 1600 Fusions through a pretty thorough side by side test with my 1600 Leicas, on and off for several days in Montana deer hunting.

Without going into all the details, I came home and sold the Fusions......

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
aalf,

Would love to hear some details. It's in line with the thread, and I've often wished someone would do a side-by-side between the Fusion 1600 and Leica CRF 1600.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Jordan,

Yeah, I was very surprised by the Bushnell results as well, as I've been using a Fusion 1600 in the field for three seasons now. The very first time I tested it was on a bright late-summer afternoon, about the worst conditions for a LRF possible, and ranged a lone juniper "tree" (not very big across a flat plain at a little over 1600 yards.

Just spent several days testing a 1-Mile in the field and it was even better.

That's good to hear, John. Although I'd have a tough time selling the 1600 just to spend several hundred more on the 1 mile, especially after being so satisfied with the 1600. Is it worth the extra few hundred IYO?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've used the bushnell 1600 and 1 mile extensively how the optics of the 1600 rate higher in your test is a stunning shock to me!

Of those I've used there is no comparison. The newer I mile version is just better made. They have no bluish tint no blurry edges nothing like that. The 1 mile version is superior all the way around.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
The optics are noticeably better, but I don't know about the rangefinder.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Carl_Ross
Thanks for a well done test, and for the ebay/bushy heads up! I've been wanting a pair of those since they were announced, but couldn't swallow the asking price...

CR- are you planning on getting them? If you do, I'd appreciate hearing your impressions.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
They're in the mail. I played with a pair that the Sportsmans in town had and liked the package, but couldn't justify full price, in part because I knew they'd eventually come down.

I'll try and do a mini - review after I have some time with them.

Empirical results rule!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

635 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 72 invisible), 2,299 guests, and 1,359 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,955
Posts18,480,430
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.