Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Is there such a thing as a good out of the box single shot?? I don't understand why people would pop hundreds of dollars on a single shot and then have to mess around with the hinge, the fore stock, the triggers....

Is there even one good single shot on the market...one where you get what you pay for?????

GB1

DMc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Works for me.

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Yes. Blaser K95. Trust me, you won't have to do anything to it but load and fire it. Absolute superb accuracy. You didn't say "CHEAP good out of the box single shot".

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Is there such a thing as a good out of the box single shot?? I don't understand why people would pop hundreds of dollars on a single shot and then have to mess around with the hinge, the fore stock, the triggers....

Is there even one good single shot on the market...one where you get what you pay for????

Nope. In fact I've been asking all of my friends to support H.B. 132-1 which bans the manufacture of all guns without a magazine because there's never been a documented case of a good one being made.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mar336

Is there even one good single shot on the market...one where you get what you pay for????

Nope. In fact I've been asking all of my friends to support H.B. 132-1 which bans the manufacture of all guns without a magazine because there's never been a documented case of a good one being made.

I think your pulling my leg.....

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rj308
Yes. Blaser K95. Trust me, you won't have to do anything to it but load and fire it. Absolute superb accuracy. You didn't say "CHEAP good out of the box single shot".

I see what you mean...looks like they start around 5K...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
got to agree with rj308. my k95 is a nice accurate light rifle. surely not cheap though. I can't really comment though as a sample of one means nothing.

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Street prices on K95's are much less. When one considers the switch barrel capability and the crazy accuracy the K95 brings to the party, they become much more affordable.
I paid $2,400 for a Prestige in 243 Winchester.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter

Is there even one good single shot on the market...one where you get what you pay for?????

Probably not - guess I just got lucky...

100 yards/4x scope:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image] [/quote]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Winchester 1885 1n 22-250 for less than $1000.

Tack

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My No. 1 22-250, the No. 1 30-06 & my No. 1 25-06.
Oh, my Merkel also.

Much better than any of my other rifles.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by tack
Winchester 1885 1n 22-250 for less than $1000.

Tack

Those look interesting also....1885 how do they shoot? Do you have any pics?

Seen a few people mentioning Merkel...anyone have experience with these firearms??

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JGray

100 yards/4x scope:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[/quote]

And that was straight out of the box?? No trigger work, no messing with the forearm...replacing the hinges...honestly?? Straight out of the box?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have owned at least 7 Rugers that would no better than 1MOA without any work on them, and several Browning single shots as well.
I bought a Ruger 1B in 7 Mag with a target that came 4 different boxes of factory ammo .
Every box had two cartridges out of it that were fired at the target and each bullet weight was almost touching the match to it inside a 2" group.
That's pretty danged accurate considering the bullets ranged from 140 to 175 grains!
Cat

scopes are cool, but slings 'n' irons RULE!
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by JGray

100 yards/4x scope:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And that was straight out of the box?? No trigger work, no messing with the forearm...replacing the hinges...honestly?? Straight out of the box?

Yes sir - absolutely honest straight out of the box. Other 100 yard load work work has been similar (almost boring, but in a good way smile ):

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And in being totally honest, I do have four other No. 1's that have had no tweaking done to them and don't shoot this well. I do believe this 375 is an exception to the norm, but I do manage 1 to 1-1/4 MOA with the others with some load work.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M

Funny. Your original questions were so heavily loaded I assumed you were pulling our legs grin.

Single shots come in everything from 22lr Crickets to full blown benchrest rigs so there's probably something out there that'll fit the bill. Which guns are you shooting now that are perfection out of the box? Knowing that could help with some ideas of which single shooters you might like.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I got this 44mag Handi for 200 bucks and change, including the Weaver Classic 4x scope.

[Linked Image]

I basically just took the load I use in my SuperBlackhawk, went to the range 5-6 times, and then got two deer this season with it.

It shoots 1.5-2" at 100 with both of the bullets I use (240 XTP to hunt and 240 bulk JSP for practice) and has the same POI with both, which is nice. The trigger isn't bad at all, and it is really handy in a climbing stand or stalking through the thick stuff.

I guess it all depends on what "good" is for you, eh?

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Mar336

Funny. Your original questions were so heavily loaded I assumed you were pulling our legs grin.

Single shots come in everything from 22lr Crickets to full blown benchrest rigs so there's probably something out there that'll fit the bill. Which guns are you shooting now that are perfection out of the box? Knowing that could help with some ideas of which single shooters you might like.

I'm looking for honest feedback on a single shooter experience...have been reading about various singles for quite a while now and it is a little disconcerting to keep reading about all the 'tricks' to get them to shoot good. I don't see the smarts in buying a $2000 rifle, and then having to buy a timney trigger, a new hinge pin..etc etc etc. to get decent accuracy out of it. So I ask the questions. ;-)

I know that I'll have one eventually, something not too heavy...something maybe a little pretty...the ability to change barrels might be nice otherwise something in a decent all around cal. 270 maybe...30-06 maybe....7mm maybe...lots of choices.

Maybe I should just get one of those $200 HR ones in 243 or 6.5 and see how I like hunting with a single shot before I spend a bunch of coin on one???

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by goalie

I got this 44mag Handi for 200 bucks and change, including the Weaver Classic 4x scope.

[Linked Image]

I basically just took the load I use in my SuperBlackhawk, went to the range 5-6 times, and then got two deer this season with it.

It shoots 1.5-2" at 100 with both of the bullets I use (240 XTP to hunt and 240 bulk JSP for practice) and has the same POI with both, which is nice. The trigger isn't bad at all, and it is really handy in a climbing stand or stalking through the thick stuff.

I guess it all depends on what "good" is for you, eh?

That one is cute...don't know if it would be legal where I live, I believe we need an 18" min barrel length. You cannot go wrong with the price you paid though.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have 2 handi rifle frames and 4 barrels. 2 barrels took no tweaking, fooling or whatever. 2 barrels had some minor case sticking problems that a little work cleared up. These are the older ejector barrels, not the newer extractor barrels.

I really like the Handis.

My contender carbine, all six barrels just load em and shoot, not fussy with loads (I don't lean on them to the max) My most accurate rifle I own in the .223 and 17 HMR, and 22 mag barrels.

Stock hinge pin and factory barrels, (the 22 mag is a factory custom 24")

�Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him had better take a closer look at the American Indian.� - Henry Ford
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

526 members (06hunter59, 1minute, 257robertsimp, 270cowboy, 1_deuce, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,411 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,543
Posts18,472,903
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.